• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Redfall isn't Arkane's Left 4 Dead – it's the studio's spin on Far Cry' - GameRadar info/interview

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
That's what I'm saying! That'd at least be a little bit more unique than what it currently looks like. I mean, I hope it's good. But everything they've shown doesn't look much different than what we've already seen and played a ton of times. :(
Fingers crossed that Arkane is being Arkane, and the best things about this game don't come across in marketing and previews.

They tend to make games that get better the more you play them.

MiguelItUp

Fingers crossed that Arkane is being Arkane, and the best things about this game don't come across in marketing and previews.

They tend to make games that get better the more you play them.
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for. I remember looking at Prey and originally not liking the creature design, so I didn't bother. Then I played it a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it... 👀

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
In my old age I've acquired the ability to judge games based on their debut gameplay trailer. I'm able to understand on a metaphysical level that what they're showing is what we're getting. Redfall is an 81 mashed potatoes game.

Am I the lamest X Men? No. Jubilee and Gambit are still lamer but I'm definitely the 3rd lamest.

The reaction some have to the Far Cry reference is evidence of what I've always known: many gamers have literally lost the ability to differentiate games based on visual design, gameplay design, and overall execution. Just because a game shares similar elements with another popular franchise does not mean that they are somehow the same, or that such a game doesn't differentiate itself in important ways.

Ozriel

M$FT
Co-op seems to be the point of contention for most people, especially since they don’t have shared progress.

It’d be better if they marketed as a straight up single player game with a very optional co-op like Fromsoft does. Even the L4D association has been a turn off for people, those genres haven’t been doing great lately

There’s no ‘L4D association’. That was an assumption based on the initial trailer that has consistently been debunked in subsequent material.
They don’t want to de-emphasize the co-op bit because it’s not a poorly thought out extra. They’re making a story driven game that can be played either solo (with no supporting AI cast) or co-op.

Vitter.

I always ask for vampire games, AAA vampire game? almost 0 in existence... this looked promising and then they actually showed it and it is rough, at least is gamepass day one so let's hope it's a sleeper hit in the end.

Mr Hyde

I think vampires in a Far Cry type open world design seems like a cool idea. The last trailers has shown a lot of exciting stuff, more so than Deathloop ever managed to bring to the table, and if the general gameplay loop is satisfying I don't see why it's an issue to take inspiration from Far Cry. Doesn't mean it will be a carbon copy. But saying that is probably blasphemy considering the Ubi-hate on this forum.

supernova8

Banned
Xbox Exclusive?

*Reads script*

Looks boring. Graphics look last gen. Looks generic. I'll try it on the PC.

Running on Unreal Engine 5 and yet somehow it "feels" like every other Arkane game ever made. I think it's the movement (character and the weapon sways, the gunplay). Not sure if that's a good thing or not but I agree it looks boring and it's hard to pinpoint exactly why.

Spaceman292

Banned
Confused Curb Your Enthusiasm GIF

All I keep thinking is they should have made a game where you are a vampire and get cool abilities.
Absolutely. Vampires are way more fun than vampire hunters.

StereoVsn

Hard to believe this is the studio that gave us Dishonored and Prey. How far they have fallen.
But I suppose ultimately you have to make games that sell- not games that are good.
Basically this. Dishonored series was great, Prey was great. Hell, Arx Fatalis was great. None of these sold well. :(

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Freaking hilarious. Gamers: "Open world games have too much bloat in them!" Arkane: "Ok, lets make our open world a bit smaller and more bespoke, but remove vehicles so that the scale of the world feels larger and still rewarding." Gamers: "Oh my god, a SMALL open world! Ugh!"

. . .I do like that fellows comment at the end of the GR video: Arkane's non-Dishonored games (and possibly even the first Dishonored) get the upturned eyebrow treatment and then it turns out that they've largely nailed what they set out to do (I can see some people saying they didn't "nail" DEATHLOOP, but as a narrative focused game masquerading as a rogue-lite and immersive sim, I think it knocked it out of the park - with a so-so ending). I'm honestly going to be surprised if they haven't nailed this; and if they don't my guess is it is going to be down to whether the combat feels good or not - I am positive they are going to nail the world, characters and gameplay systems.

Robb

Gold Member
I am positive they are going to nail the world, characters and gameplay systems.
Yeah, Arkane is a top-tier studio for sure. I’m personally not really feeling the direction they’ve taken with this one (yet), but I’m certain it’ll be a great game.

EN250

Freaking hilarious. Gamers: "Open world games have too much bloat in them!" Arkane: "Ok, lets make our open world a bit smaller and more bespoke, but remove vehicles so that the scale of the world feels larger and still rewarding." Gamers: "Oh my god, a SMALL open world! Ugh!"

Ok, but it's a valid point depending of what's referred as "bloat" though. Like for example the Ubisoft standard, do *Y* which is random encounter in *Z* place, which usually is mission marker set at south-west point in the map and ends at north-east point of the map (the farthest from each other), *X* amount of times, which is many many times and becomes a chore to do, a short map wouldn't make the situation above more engaging, just allows you to quickly repeat the same process again and again 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom