• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall, Suicide Squad and other Coop/GaaS games that nobody asked for. Who’s next to crash and burn?

MOTM

Banned
So Redfall has come out and it’s terrible. As much as I wanted it to be good, most videos I saw of it was just uninspiring. Couldn’t figure out what they were going for with this game and it seems the reviews also reflect that.

The best single player immersive sim studio in the business decided to make this coop/looter shooter/fps/rpg thing rather than just making another high quality single player game as they do. I’m going to assume they were chasing trends just as WB/Rocksteady is with Suicide Squad.

The issue here is that nobody asked for these games and because game dev is such a lengthy process, by the time the game is in full development it’s too late to revert back to a normal single player experience. It shows with Redfall which doesn’t seem to know what it wants to be and with Suicide Squads recent delay (assuming it’s because of the bad reception)

I’m sure I’m forgetting other games such as this but I’m wondering who’s next? Sony is developing 10 GaaS service games - and if they had the same logic as the rest of the industry going for these GaaS/coop whatever games then yeah they’re about 5 years too late.

I think a lot of the gaming industry has these type of games in the pipeline at a time where gamers are moving away from this and the market doesn’t need anymore of them. But given the nature of game dev, you can’t turn back and change the whole foundation of the game.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
giphy.gif

bender

What time is it?
Whatever Turtle Rock Studios is working on. At some point we will finally get the answer to the question: How far can preamble from the minds that brought you L4D take you?

The Last of Us Multiplayer Project.

To be honest, my body is ready for a big multiplayer zombie- esque game.

Does anyone remember Urban Dead? A very old - still going I think - browser based zombie game. So simple but loved it.

In my mind, the perfect last of us multiplayer would be one where you can join factions. Build your settlements, fight it out with hordes or other settlements.

I didn’t mind Uncharted style multiplayer. It was ok, but it didn’t maintain my engagement for long.

PeteBull

Can tell u which game wont flop, diablo 4, that launches early june, gonna get really good sales/reviews, its not as good as d1/d2 but much better from d3 and d3 sold well over 30m copies.
Played over 20h of it on both beta weekends(closed and open) and for any hack and slash genre fan it will be 8-9/10 game, for some maybe more.

From ones who could potentially flop- we dont get a lot of gameplay trailers so cant see much yet- wanting for that starfield for more info/presentation.
TLOU Factions im not a fan of, but if quality is there it shouldnt flop, all depends on the expectation tho, if say game is 70$ and sony wants 20m copies sold around launch window- definitely gonna flop.

I'm expecting whatever the hell Sony are cooking to suffer the same fate.

Hopefully they learn quickly and get back to business.
Wanting all those coop games to flop is not only odd, it may change a lot of studios for years to come and not for the best. I wouldn't really want that for sure.

StueyDuck

The problem is not that no one asked for these games...

The problem is that they are being made with no passion.

BL2 is still some of the best co-op looter shooting there is. BL3 is still the biggest dump disappointment there is.

I have high hopes for avatar to be co-op and a lot of fun. But I think the rest will most likely die.

I definitely want more fun co-op games and I want more wildlands type games then another indie game with a wannabe western anime main character with anxiety and blue hair

Last edited:

Laptop1991

A load of them failed at the beginning of the year with the server's shutting down yet they still insist on making them, its the money, has to be, hoping one takes off like GTA online or Fortnite, waste of time and money in the end for most of them

Last edited:

Schmendrick

In recent times, I have seen so many people saying they no longer like playing games. That they are tired and stuff.
In a lot of cases, it's probably because so many games today feel like work, nor like fun. It's just chores and grind.
shhh child, the PR term is "continuous player engagement".
Only people with common sense would call that "work".

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I’m sure I’m forgetting other games such as this but I’m wondering who’s next? Sony is developing 10 GaaS service games - and if they had the same logic as the rest of the industry going for these GaaS/coop whatever games then yeah they’re about 5 years too late.
If a single one will be a massive success it will pay for the other 9 and still make profit. It’s the start-up math applied to games development. Want it or not when you hit it with GAAS you hit it big, probably it’s more difficult to hit consistently with SP games since don’t forget each one has to be a hit.

StueyDuck

BL3 gameplay is bettter then BL2 in everyway, BL3 sins are Story and some new NPC
I agree the gameplay itself was better but everything else was just disappointing. World design, combat encounters, boss encounters, even the weapons in general, while more varied weren't as memorable.

Almost everything in BL3 was bad/disappointing apart from the newly added movement/gunplay

MOTM

Banned
Cheer up, at least we have Gollum to look forward to this month. No Gaas or Coop crap, just a masterpiece of a single player experience you all asked for.
Not saying all games should be single player. But obviously a lot of these coop/gaas games aren’t being designed because they have this amazing idea they believe gamers will love and that will lead to great sales. It seems like it’s the other way round i.e here’s what is trendy so let’s make a game from it and gamers will buy it. Which then leads to games that nobody asked for.

From what we’ve seen, do you think Suicide Squad is a game that Warner Bros wanted or a game they thought gamers would want?

Loxus

Have you played The Last of Us multi-player on PS4?
With the The Last of Us Part 2 gameplay mechanics, ain't no way that game is going to flop.

Those gameplay mechanics mixed in with a battle royal mode with the Infected/Spores as the circle would easily make this a top tier multi-player game.

Not to mention a Co-op mode.

MOTM

Banned
If a single one will be a massive success it will pay for the other 9 and still make profit. It’s the start-up math applied to games development. Want it or not when you hit it with GAAS you hit it big, probably it’s more difficult to hit consistently with SP games since don’t forget each one has to be a hit.
What is a massive success? Fortnite? Destiny? Firewalk studios or one of the other recent acquisitions is going to create the next Warzone or GTA online?

Square Enid have FF14 but still isn’t enough to cover all their other shitty projects that tank.

Skifi28

From what we’ve seen, do you think Suicide Squad is a game that Warner Bros wanted or a game they thought gamers would want?
I honestly have no idea. Perhaps when they first started the project it was looking like Gaas would be the new hot shit, but later they started crashing and burning and it was too late in development to start from scratch again.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The publishers don't care, they will keep panning for gold hoping for the next pubg/apex/fortnite. If they hit it big they then move the teams from failures into content support for their fresh new gold mine.

Publishers should care. Games have become so enormously expensive that a few consecutive sales failures can kill a company.

Hugare

Danger 5 Laughing GIF

This aint it

Factions was amazing (despite the pay-to-win weapons and skills).

Uncharted 2 was already amazing. Actually, all the ND games had amazing multiplayer modes.

They suffered a bit with Uncharted 3 and TLOU because at the time companies were figuring out how to monetize multiplayer games properly, but those days are long gone.

Sony and others are developing multiple GAAS games because they only need one to succeed to generate tons of cash, even if the other games fails. It's worth it.

And while developing GAAS games they are also developing singleplayer experiences like Spider-man 2, so, no biggie

The problem is when a company focus 90-100% of their output in GAAS games like Ubisoft these days

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Factions will probably be able to defend itself, because it was a genuinely fun mode and there's ton of room for expansions. I've spent some time with it in TLoU1 despite traditionally having no interest in MP modes. They just need to remember to have enough content ready and don't be too greedy with the microtransactions and p2w mechanics.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Square Enid have FF14 but still isn’t enough to cover all their other shitty projects that tank.
I would say subscription-based MMOs are probably 5-10 years past their peak. Like it or not microtransactions are bringing way more money.

It's not that I want them to fail, it's just that I expect them to fail.

Very few GAAS games survive and have any longevity. It's just the reality of the situation.
The vast majority of GAAS fail because they are made on a shoestring budget and are released in an incomplete state. Publishers saw Fortnite succeed 5-6 years ago and cheaply thought they could replicate it. So they allocated a small amount of resources to possibly hit it big for low cost. In reality, there haven't been very many big AAA GAAS games that have truly failed. In recent years, Halo Infinite is the only big AAA GAAS game to go down in flames. But that's because arena shooters with no variety in gameplay feels archaic to most gamers nowadays

kyussman

I've no idea which the next failure will be.....but I can't believe Sony are going in on these games too.They are going to waste so much money.I guess everyone wants the next Fortnite.

yazenov

It's a good thing that there has been a lot of pushback from consumers and critics for these types of games. Publishers will think twice before greenlighting future projects with a similar style of gameplay.
Please vote with your dollars and time so we can avoid such games going forward.

Top Bottom