• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RedLetterMedia |OT| Is This OT Replacing the Other OT?

I don't know, I feel like Wheel of The Worst should maybe be retired.

If they hadn't cheated to get Rem Lezar it would not have been a good episode, the "Orgasmic Birth" video probably would have been one of their funniest moments ever, but instead we'll probably never see it now.

It not landing on the most interesting videos is usually the way it goes, I think they should just pick what sounds like the craziest and funniest videos from their random pile.

Or at the very least, they should go back to the old format of only replacing what they've watched instead of starting with a new batch for every wheel, so many sure to be hilarious videos they've never watched thanks to that.

Grinchy

Banned
I think what they really need to do is pre-screen some of these videos. If it's obvious that it's going to be some dry, boring video, "spin" again. They don't have to legitimately land on videos and then watch them.

Maybe they could even have someone who isn't going to be on the panel do the pre-screening of a handful of videos and pick only ones with potential.

PSlayer

I agree with them about both the movie and Brie Larson, but i think it would be better if they cut a good portion of those 10 minutes they spent talking about her . The intro was enough of a jab about the whole controversy. Instead they should have talked about how miscasted she was.

Grinchy

Banned
That was a good Captain Marvel review. They really nailed the Brie Larson stuff.

I think the most frustrating part about this being such a bad casting choice and being such a mediocre movie is that Marvel is just crowbarring the character to be the most important part of a decade of buildup. It would be like the 2nd to last episode of Game of Thrones introducing a new character played by someone annoying that comes in and just saves the day in the last episode.

I did not care for the remake, but at least the original got more exposure because of it.

Pretty sure by "remaster" he meant the 4k restoration of the original which was released last year. :messenger_winking:

Amusing review as always and Mike seems even closer to death. That Milwaukee portion went on long enough where I wouldn't have been surprised if they were just trolling and made that 90% of the video. Also is it just my cheapo monitor at work or did they adjust the video's color temp to make themselves whiter and pastier? Considering the subject I'm going to assume, yes. =P

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Pretty sure by "remaster" he meant the 4k restoration of the original which was released last year. :messenger_winking:

Amusing review as always and Mike seems even closer to death. That Milwaukee portion went on long enough where I wouldn't have been surprised if they were just trolling and made that 90% of the video. Also is it just my cheapo monitor at work or did they adjust the video's color temp to make themselves whiter and pastier? Considering the subject I'm going to assume, yes. =P

It's not just you, the white balance is unusually cold on this vid yeah.

Mike seems very depressed and weary even by Mike standards lately. Could be seasonal affective.

I thought them talking about Brie was quite even handed to be honest - it 100% didn't need to be 18minutes before the started reviewing the movie, but overall it made sense to me who has watched the controversy from afar. They were spot on about the autocomplete interview, I went and checked that later - yikes

Jesus fucking wept, ERA are currently having a massive circle jerk of hate to them for even mentioning it, with some clearly not even having watched it

Colour balance of the review was indeed cold tinged

Jesus fucking wept, ERA are currently having a massive circle jerk of hate to them for even mentioning it, with some clearly not even having watched it

Just goes to show how few of them there are. Going by the video's like and dislike ratio, would't 90% of these doxers go and dislike it? Or are they just commenting the usual "yikes" to avoid suspicion?

Anyway Brie Larson translates to Cheese Theft. ............Yah I stole that joke :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Just goes to show how few of them there are. Going by the video's like and dislike ratio, would't 90% of these doxers go and dislike it? Or are they just commenting the usual "yikes" to avoid suspicion?

Anyway Brie Larson translates to Cheese Theft. ............Yah I stole that joke :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Ha!

Well, I'm just disappointed there is zero nuance with discussing the video. For the most part you've either gotta be outraged or fly your flag, like it and be attacked

i found the hysteria around Brie pre-release awful, but the point RLM correctly makes is that the hysteria is made ridiculous when it should just be treated equally as another actor doing another corporate movie

Why should I be predisposed to want Brie and the movie to succeed 'for equality' reasons. Did I want it to do well because I liked Brie in other stuff and am generally an MCU fan? Yup. But I ain't going to war defending her or the movie on merits that aren't the movie

And again, RLM had plenty of scorn for the internet warriors hating on Brie so I'm really not sure what the big RLM pile at ERA is outside of them choosing to even dare talk about it

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
These guys have just become cynics and hacks. They were funny at first, loved the PT stuff, the star trek review, the baby's day out review all gold.

but somewhere over the last year to year and a half you can tell mike and Jey just don't like the movies they watch, and dare I say they hate them. Its pretty much the same thing every review.

As far as the captain marvel review. Didn't need an 8 minute intro slamming Milwaukee. I think they had some valid points about Brie, especially the fact that movie reviewers are some the least important people on earth. But I felt it went on to long and they didn't really review the movie enough.

I don't think what they said was controversial, and of course 2 white guys are going to be offended by someone attacking their profession, but they still took it easy on here and didn't devolve into any MRA type stuff or not as bad as ERA makes them out to be. If you want more diversity in film review(which again is not important at all) well nothing is stopping any one from grabbing their phone and recording a video for Youtube. Angry Joe and RLM and Nostalgia critic are just regular dudes who did exactly that. Its F'n film review there aren't really any qualifications to get the job. We aren't talking about doctors saving lives here.

I think "I don't hate white dudes, but..." is the progressive liberal version of the classic "I'm not a racist, but... [insert sweeping generalization here]."

As I said elsewhere, inclusion isn't a zero sum game. People who present it as such are doing a disservice to their cause.

Grinchy

Banned
It was funny when they showed all the reviews for the movie that won her an Oscar. Lots of white dudes. She didn’t seem to mind then. I guess that movie was for them.

She only minded when her really shitty movie got panned and then she suddenly only wanted reviews from unknown reviewers and teens. Because teens who aren’t white are the movie reviewers we should all be listening to.

These guys have just become cynics and hacks. They were funny at first, loved the PT stuff, the star trek review, the baby's day out review all gold.

but somewhere over the last year to year and a half you can tell mike and Jey just don't like the movies they watch, and dare I say they hate them. Its pretty much the same thing every review.

As far as the captain marvel review. Didn't need an 8 minute intro slamming Milwaukee. I think they had some valid points about Brie, especially the fact that movie reviewers are some the least important people on earth. But I felt it went on to long and they didn't really review the movie enough.

I don't think what they said was controversial, and of course 2 white guys are going to be offended by someone attacking their profession, but they still took it easy on here and didn't devolve into any MRA type stuff or not as bad as ERA makes them out to be. If you want more diversity in film review(which again is not important at all) well nothing is stopping any one from grabbing their phone and recording a video for Youtube. Angry Joe and RLM and Nostalgia critic are just regular dudes who did exactly that. Its F'n film review there aren't really any qualifications to get the job. We aren't talking about doctors saving lives here.

I think they just hate the all encompassing eye that is Disney over the film industry that is literally like the Eye of Sauron at this point.

They're just maudlin because they remember the 90's and early 00's where amazing movies were being churned out left right without Marvel and Star Wars in the titles.

They also hate Star Wars and Marvel fandom.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
I think they just hate the all encompassing eye that is Disney over the film industry that is literally like the Eye of Sauron at this point.

They're just maudlin because they remember the 90's and early 00's where amazing movies were being churned out left right without Marvel and Star Wars in the titles.

They also hate Star Wars and Marvel fandom.

they have the same disdain for DC movies as well.

But I get it, its more like they are growing up. At some point big bang explosion movies lose their appeal. Its why I am sure demographically super hero movies probably skew alot more towards teens and 20 somethings. These guys must be close to or over 40 at this point.

They provide a good alternative view to all the hype thats always out there at least, but I don't find most of their schtick funny though. enjoy re:view though.

they have the same disdain for DC movies as well.

But I get it, its more like they are growing up. At some point big bang explosion movies lose their appeal. Its why I am sure demographically super hero movies probably skew alot more towards teens and 20 somethings. These guys must be close to or over 40 at this point.

They provide a good alternative view to all the hype thats always out there at least, but I don't find most of their schtick funny though. enjoy re:view though.

Yea I mean if you look at what they've put out with re:view in the past half year or so there's quite a few more videos over half in the bag.

I am curious what their thoughts are on Velvet Buzzsaw though but they won't freaking review it. :messenger_pouting::messenger_pouting::messenger_pouting:

#Phonepunk#

Banned

they have roots in b-movies, exploitation, etc. you see it in the stuff they review for BOTW. it's why they made a movie called Space Cop. "big bang explosion" movies still have appeal, and indeed they keep covering them on BOTW, but the quality of blockbuster film has declined.

thing is, Marvel, Star Wars, etc. all have roots in that as well, it's just, that has been commodified, purchased by a megacorp, and mass produced. people like Roger Corman had to make do with a limited budget, they had to rely on other things, exploitation stuff in the story, quick filmmaking, etc. not to mention that before the first Star Wars these type of movies didn't make much money at the box office. they were passion projects, more or less.

so now a giant company comes along and purchases these IPs, they bought the likenesses, the character designs, the trademarks, etc. but they cannot buy that inspirational spark that used to fuel the b-movie business. they can't buy that sense of cunning and daring, the craziness a lot of the early b-movie makers HAD to possess. now that b-movie business IS the mainstream, and these giant companies can't help but fuck it up, or produce things are LOOK like b-movie pulp fiction, but are market tested and made to be inoffensive & appeal to the widest audience possible.

it's a variation on "being into it before it was cool" but that's basically the truth. George Lucas himself owned a comic book store in the late 60s, now his IP is celebrated by people who publicly bash him every chance they get, while pretending to be nerds because they saw a massively popular film.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
they have roots in b-movies, exploitation, etc. you see it in the stuff they review for BOTW. it's why they made a movie called Space Cop. "big bang explosion" movies still have appeal, and indeed they keep covering them on BOTW, but the quality of blockbuster film has declined.

thing is, Marvel, Star Wars, etc. all have roots in that as well, it's just, that has been commodified, purchased by a megacorp, and mass produced. people like Roger Corman had to make do with a limited budget, they had to rely on other things, exploitation stuff in the story, quick filmmaking, etc. not to mention that before the first Star Wars these type of movies didn't make much money at the box office. they were passion projects, more or less.

so now a giant company comes along and purchases these IPs, they bought the likenesses, the character designs, the trademarks, etc. but they cannot buy that inspirational spark that used to fuel the b-movie business. they can't buy that sense of cunning and daring, the craziness a lot of the early b-movie makers HAD to possess. now that b-movie business IS the mainstream, and these giant companies can't help but fuck it up, or produce things are LOOK like b-movie pulp fiction, but are market tested and made to be inoffensive & appeal to the widest audience possible.

it's a variation on "being into it before it was cool" but that's basically the truth. George Lucas himself owned a comic book store in the late 60s, now his IP is celebrated by people who publicly bash him every chance they get, while pretending to be nerds because they saw a massively popular film.

I just think they have grown out of todays modern block buster and have become pretty cynical about the industry.

When they review older scholck they are into it. Also re:view you can tell Jay is really into the movies and discussing them because they aren't modern day bland movies meant to fill a step in a universe and to set up 10 sequels.

But its easy to be cynical of today's movies because they do lack heart and soul, basically computer games made to appeal to the largest demographics to take our money. When you get to their age you are more nostalgic for those older movies.

I think the problem is that HITB is kinda their thing and their audience wants to see their reviews so they are kinda forced to do them. I mean Captain Marvel came out what a week ago? Most YouTubers have already reviewed it. Most of their reviews are late and they just outright skip movies. don't think they did a HITB for the new transformers movie? I think they did an Alita one but can't say for sure.

Honestly watching HITB it feels like someone held a gun to their head to watch these movies, like they would rather do anything then go watch another big blockbuster. I remember when HITB used to review 2 movies at a time, now they put out like one HITB a month. IMO they should retire HITB and stick with BOTW and re:View and go back to making plinkette reviews (but not the lame TFA/TLJ ones). I liked their Titanic/Avatar/Baby's day out review, they should go back to that stuff.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The industry is so cookie cutter now. Movies by focus group committee. Predictable AF, creatively bankrupt where they reboot reboots, so I can see their boredom with it.

Then you got places like Collider that just seem to serve as an extension of advertisement.

Javthusiast

Banned
I don't blame them being cynical, majority of blockbusters are formulaic as hell. It's nothing but remakes, reboots and sequels. Who wouldn't get tired after decades? I am. Most of the new movies I don't watch in the cinemas outside very few. Majority I catch on services like netflix later, or rent them for cheap during itunes and amazon video sales.

Fox Mulder

Interesting that they love the Suspiria remake. I haven't seen it yet but saw the divisive reviews when it came out.

I just got it on Vudu for a few bucks and will be checking it out. They made it sound like something I'd enjoy.

Suspiria is alright. Not sure it needed a remake.

I have a dumb, noob question:

Are there audio versions of Half In The Bag anywhere? I love listening to these reviews, often put em on when I am gaming, so would love to do it without having it streaming in the background on YouTube. Thanks

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Suspiria is alright. Not sure it needed a remake.

I have a dumb, noob question:

Are there audio versions of Half In The Bag anywhere? I love listening to these reviews, often put em on when I am gaming, so would love to do it without having it streaming in the background on YouTube. Thanks
I think you can use a youtube to mp3 converter. Never done it myself, but I know it exists.

They also have commentary tracks for movies that are basically just podcasts. My complaint about them is that they don't follow the movie as often as I'd want, but that's good for people who are just listening.
https://redlettermedia.bandcamp.com/audio

NICE, have been waiting for their take on Us.

These guys put out some of the best content on YouTube. Wish I had discovered them sooner. I think it was the Rogue One teaser vids (with Rich Evans dancing and talking about cumming) that introduced me to them.

Are they all longtime college buds or something? What is the backstory?

PSlayer

NICE, have been waiting for their take on Us.

These guys put out some of the best content on YouTube. Wish I had discovered them sooner. I think it was the Rogue One teaser vids (with Rich Evans dancing and talking about cumming) that introduced me to them.

Are they all longtime college buds or something? What is the backstory?

Mike,rich and Jay know each other at least since college/film school(around 2001). Jack was in the phantom manace review so that means he is part of the group since at least 2008. Mike and Rich may know each other from before film school but i'm not really sure.

Top Bottom