• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie and Miyamoto to Host Pre-E3 Presentation, unknown if livestreamed

The Press Conferences aren't even technically part of E3.

This needs to be part of the OP as mandatory reading:

Not E3:

Multiple PRE-E3 Nintendo Directs TO THE PUBLIC ONLY, LIVESTREAMED
Now until June 11th

PRE-E3 Microsoft Press Conference
June 10th, 11:45 AM EDT

PRE-E3 Ubisoft Press Conference
June 10th, 4:00 PM EDT

PRE-E3 EA Press Conference
June 10th, 6:00 PM EDT

PRE-E3 Sony Press Conference
June 10th, 9:00 PM EDT

PRE-E3 Nintendo Private Software Showcase (Hosted by Reggie and Miyamoto) TO THE PRESS ONLY, NOT LIVESTREAMED
June 11th, 1:30 PM to ~2:45 PM EDT

Schedule:
--------Opening Remarks (Miyamoto & Reggie): 1:30 PM EDT
--------Gameplay demonstrations and Press Q&A (Miyamoto & Reggie & Others): 2:00 PM EDT
--------Will end before 3:00 PM EDT

Known games demonstrated:
--------Mario Kart for Wii U
--------New 3D Mario for Wii U by Nintendo EAD Tokyo (Super Mario Galaxy, Mario 3D Land)

PRE-E3 Nintendo North American Business Partners Private Presentation TO BUSINESS PARTNERS ONLY, NOT LIVESTREAMED
June 11th, sometime before 3:00 PM EDT

---------

E3:

E3, Day 1:
June 11th, 3:00 PM EDT - 9:00 PM EDT

E3, Day 2:
June 12th, 3:00 PM EDT - 9:00 PM EDT

E3, Day 3:
June 13th, 1:00 PM EDT - 8:00 PM EDT

AND

- Nintendo
- Sony
- Microsoft
- A shitton of 3rd parties

WILL HAVE BOOTHS AT E3

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I think the PR team told them they were crazy, so they had to rent a last minute space at the convention.
What did they think was going to happen? No presence at E3 when you're a hardware and software company is weak. Don't tell me Rockstar etc.

Nintendo's PR team is really, really, good.

RagnarokX

This needs to be part of the OP as mandatory reading:

Not E3:

Multiple PRE-E3 Nintendo Directs TO THE PUBLIC ONLY, LIVESTREAMED
Now until June 11th

PRE-E3 Microsoft Press Conference
June 10th, 11:45 AM EDT

PRE-E3 Ubisoft Press Conference
June 10th, 4:00 PM EDT

PRE-E3 EA Press Conference
June 10th, 6:00 PM EDT

PRE-E3 Sony Press Conference
June 10th, 9:00 PM EDT

PRE-E3 Nintendo Private Games Demonstration TO THE PRESS ONLY, NOT LIVESTREAMED
June 10th, time unannounced
OR
June 11th, sometime before 3:00 PM EDT

---------

E3:

E3, Day 1:
June 11th, 3:00 PM EDT - 9:00 PM EDT

E3, Day 2:
June 12th, 3:00 PM EDT - 9:00 PM EDT

E3, Day 3:
June 13th, 1:00 PM EDT - 8:00 PM EDT

During this time:
E3 Nintendo North American Retailers Private Presentation TO RETAILERS ONLY, NOT LIVESTREAMED

AND

- Nintendo
- Sony
- Microsoft
- A shitton of 3rd parties

WILL HAVE BOOTHS AT E3
You forgot the private distributor's conference as well. The distributor conference, press conference, and gamer stream are all happening at the same time on the morning the day E3 starts.

I don't think it will be. There are going to be 3 events occurring simultaneously:

Distributor meeting at the Nokia Theater.
Press conference at Nintendo's booth.
Gamer conference live streamed.

The whole point of breaking up the conference is to cater to each individual audience, so this press conference is likely to be extremely boring since they need to treat the press like they're idiots.

So you still actually believe that nintendo revealed the wiiu with the utmost clarity? There really is a defense force for everything.

Somnia

I think the PR team told them they were crazy, so they had to rent a last minute space at the convention.
What did they think was going to happen? No presence at E3 when you're a hardware and software company is weak. Don't tell me Rockstar etc.

Nintendo's PR team is really, really, good.

Seriously do people not read??? They never left E3, they've had a booth booked all along.

You forgot the private distributor's conference as well. The distributor conference, press conference, and gamer stream are all happening at the same time on the morning the day E3 starts.

Is it confirmed anywhere to be the day-of E3?

EDIT: Never mind, found it and adjusted the list in #201.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Seriously do people not read??? They never left E3, they've had a booth booked all along.

I meant the conference room. I knew they were having some small meeting, but not for the public, just stockholders and the like.

RagnarokX

So you still actually believe that nintendo revealed the wiiu with the utmost clarity? There really is a defense force for everything.

Well you clearly haven't read my posts in this thread.

Nintendo has been trying to cater to everyone in the previous years and it has fucked them. They didn't dumb down the Wii U reveal enough that the press understood it, but it was dumbed down enough that gamers weren't happy with the presentation. They can't please everyone and get their message across clearly with the old conference model, so they are taking a new approach.

I could have sworn that they said that the conferences are happening at the same time they normally have E3, but I know they said they are happening simultaneously.

Snaku

Banned
If people would've actually read the Iwata quote, there would be no confusion:

No big conference, instead:

- Nintendo Direct for Fans on the Net
- Presentation for the Media (not streamed)
- Retailer centric presentation

This is the second one, the media only event, that is hosted by Reggie and Shiggy, with Demos and shit.

Seems completely redundant to do the exact thing three times. Only Nintendo would think this is a good idea.

Somnia

I meant the conference room. I knew they were having some small meeting, but not for the public, just stockholders and the like.

They also said in their original announcement that they'd have a closed behind doors press event at the Nokia theater. This has been planned all along.

DaBoss

Yea, it doesn't mention distributors, but it says in the OP that there are 2 smaller presentations. I'm wondering if it is referring to the one for the press and the one for the distributors and stuff.

Seems completely redundant to do the exact thing three times. Only Nintendo would think this is a good idea.

Except it isn't the exact same thing 3 times...

Somnia

Except it won't be the same thing 3 times.

They will cater each show to the audience. Retailers will get marketing information, endcap designs, etc.

SMT

They also said in their original announcement that they'd have a closed behind doors press event at the Nokia theater. This has been planned all along.

Unfortunately for them, everybody just read the headlines and flipped.
Changing Focus on America

For the first time since the early 80s, Nintendo is once again focusing on the American market. Previous E3 presentations were done with Satoru Iwata and Shigeru Miyamoto, as well as other Japanese developers taking the stage to talk about their upcoming games in Japanese. A translator was provided for American viewers of course, but the intention was to broadcast the Nintendo E3 press conference in Japan for Japanese viewers. Now, Nintendo will focus purely on each market individually, by addressing them through a series of Nintendo Directs designed for their specific region.

Somnia

Unfortunately for them, everybody just read the headlines and flipped.

That says more about everyone (including the press) then anything imo.

Oh well this experiment will either work really well and get them plenty of detailed coverage or it won't work and they'll try something else next year.

Well you clearly haven't read my posts in this thread.

Nintendo has been trying to cater to everyone in the previous years and it has fucked them. They didn't dumb down the Wii U reveal enough that the press understood it, but it was dumbed down enough that gamers weren't happy with the presentation. They can't please everyone and get their message across clearly with the old conference model, so they are taking a new approach.

It was very poorly presented with no games and was clearly a premature reveal going by the current situation. Even the worst sony conferences were met with less ambiguity. They couldnt please anyone last e3 because they had nothing to please with. Bracing myself for e3 riddled with "later dates" and "please understands".

SMT

Does that prove people dont read past a title then?

I can't speak for other people, but I read title, read the article, and saw the meltdown in the comments section on IGN.

That says more about everyone (including the press) then anything imo.

Oh well this experiment will either work really well and get them plenty of detailed coverage or it won't work and they'll try something else next year.

The press is picking on Nintendo this year, but so is everyone else. (myself included) But I need localized games.

RagnarokX

It was very poorly presented with no games and was clearly a premature reveal going by the current situation. Even the worst sony conferences were met with less ambiguity. They couldnt please anyone last e3 because they had nothing to please with. Bracing myself for e3 riddled with "later dates" and "please understands".

You're right, they didn't have the games to show for Wii U. A stronger gamer-focused conference could have revealed the Wii U, what few games they had for it, including Wonderful 101 and other games that weren't shown during the conference and shown 3DS stuff as well. A stronger press-focused conference could have also presented those extra games, but spent more depth explaining what makes Wii U unique and demonstrating Nintendo Land in addition to hands-on demos. We already had an extremely in-depth Wii U reveal in video form before the press conference, so we didn't need it again, but clearly the press did.

You're right, they didn't have the games to show for Wii U. A stronger gamer-focused conference could have revealed the Wii U, what few games they had for it, including Wonderful 101 and other games that weren't shown during the conference and shown 3DS stuff as well. A stronger press-focused conference could have also presented those extra games, but spent more depth explaining what makes Wii U unique and demonstrating Nintendo Land in addition to hands-on demos. We already had an extremely in-depth Wii U reveal in video form before the press conference, so we didn't need it again, but clearly the press did.

Pretty much all that needs to be said. Didnt matter how they presented the conference. They had no software as evidenced by the iwata quote a few weeks back. The wiiu so far has been a rushed debacle and to blame the press is childish and shortsighted IMO. And once again third parties have jumped ship and nintendo again has to do all the work. I really feel now that new management is in order. I mean how do you fuck up the same way so many times?

RagnarokX

Pretty much all that needs to be said. Didnt matter how they presented the conference. They had no software as evidenced by the iwata quote a few weeks back. The wiiu so far has been a rushed debacle and to blame the press is childish and shortsighted IMO. And once again third parties have jumped ship and nintendo again has to do all the work. I really feel now that new management is in order. I mean how do you fuck up the same way so many times?

They definitely could have presented what they did have better to the press and to gamers, but not to both. Some of the press still didn't understand that Wii U was a brand new console.

boyshine

Actually offering a free Panorama video of their booth and watching people play the games is a great idea.

I know it is, and I can't believe I seem to be the only one with this idea. To me it sounds like the most awesome perfect thing to do with Panorama View. Record a tour through the area before it opens, stop at each game, give a short demonstration, move on.. then record a new one when the people come rushing in, let us see the fanboy press go crazy over seeing Super Mario U or Mario Kart U for the very first time..

J@hranimo

Banned
fuck this shit, I'll just watch a summary on the evening, I'm not boarding the hype train anymore.

I just need a list of games, release dates and trailers on youtube.

This....just might be me too. They need to give me concrete dates and reasons I should drop money on the Wii U before years end.

jschreier

Invites just went out. In case anyone's interested:

This year, Nintendo is taking a different approach to E3.
We’re giving you the chance to get closer to the games
through a unique hands-on experience
at our booth before the show opens.

Featuring remarks from
Shigeru Miyamoto and Reggie Fils-Aime

Tuesday, June 11, 2013
Registration Begins – 9:45 a.m.
Opening Remarks – 10:30 a.m.
Game Play and Q&A – 11 a.m.

They never said they aren't having a conference; they said they aren't having a single big conference like they usually do. They're breaking the big conference up into smaller conferences dedicated to the 3 audiences they are attempting to reach. At the time they normally have their 1 conference they will have three simultaneously; one will be dedicated to distributors, one will be dedicated to the press, and one will be dedicated to gamers. This way they can tailor the conferences to the interests of the relevant viewers and avoid frustration and misinformation.

You must like repeating yourself. At this point anyone who doesn't know what Nintendo is doing either A) is trying to stay willfully ignorant or B) just trolling.

Either way, keep hope alive breh

RagnarokX

Completely disagree. Sony did it in april and micro will do it in may.

Sony wasn't selling a console based primarily on a unique controller and has more consistent product naming. It remains to be seen if they will be effective in capturing the market. We still haven't even seen the console itself or the price. Vita supposedly knocked its reveal out of the park as well and that didn't work out too well.

Nintendo needed a more intense breakdown of what Wii U is and what it can do.

You must like repeating yourself. At this point anyone who doesn't know what Nintendo is doing either A) is trying to stay willfully ignorant or B) just trolling.

Either way, keep hope alive breh

Just cuz I keep having to doesn't mean I like to :p

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
So the E3 Nintendo Direct will be sometime before this event... But will it be that Monday, the weekend before, or even earlier? I just hope they don't wait until the a day or two beforehand to announce it.

Nintendo, a body cannot be half ready.

A body is either ready or it is not ready. A body that is 'almost ready' is scarcely a body at all, and it is surely not a ready one.

RagnarokX

So the E3 Nintendo Direct will be sometime before this event... But will it be that Monday, the weekend before, or even earlier? I just hope they don't wait until the a day or two beforehand to announce it.

There will be some kind of streamed event for gamers during the other 2 conferences, and several Nintendo Directs leading up to E3.

The Boat

We'll see what games are coming out, we'll get hands-on impressions and media, that's all I care about and I don't see what matters besides that. Not only that they will deal more directly with the press, so there will be no lack of coverage.

Top Bottom