• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie calls out unsatisfied fans

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Given how aggressively they're pushing online on 3DS, aren't they delivering in that regard?

I think having their big "Miyamoto trots out" game not having online multiplayer, in 2012-2013, in the third generation since online console gaming became the norm isn't really delivering, no.

Pikmin 3 was great to see but everything else just seemed like they were going down a checklist.

I guess I'm just not impressed by another New Super Mario. If it was the next 3D one then we'd have something.

JazzmanZ

• 2D Mario doesn't count as a Mario game
  • The Treehouse people should have warned Reggie. Do they share our tastes?
  • People wanted to see a game built around an innovative use of the controller.
  • Pikmin is not the fully-realized Nintendo HD game people were hoping for.
  • Besides Pikmin 3, all the games were geared towards casual & light gaming

what planet are you from?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Anyone who posts in this thread but doesn't post in the WUST threads is missing out.

this guy is mistaking "that it??" for 'what else'.

pikmin 3 is hardly an evolution. we waited this long for that product?
same can be said about half the stuff nintendo puts out. its not the quantity reggie, its the quality, or lack thereof.

0aRQg.jpg

Meohsix

'Where's Pikmin?' 'Where's Pikmin?' 'Where's Pikmin?' We give them Pikmin. And then they say, 'What else?'
not everyone likes pikmin

when you launch, you better launch with a Mario game.' So we launch with a Mario game, and they say, 'So what's more?'
NSMB is not the mario we want.

isn't there a way to leverage all these franchises?' So we create Nintendo Land and they say, 'Ho-hum, give me more.'
nobody wanted nintendo land. NOBODY.

gerudoman

Timeline!

RF-A: The gaming enthusiast that buys a tremendous amount of games is truly insatiable. As an example, in March, we launched “Super Smash Bros. Brawl.” In April, we launched “Mario Kart.” In later April, we launched “Wii Fit.” Then, in July, at E3, they say, “where are the games?” They say they want the next Mario game. “Super Mario Galaxy” isn’t even a year old yet. We believe today that we have shown a plethora of games and genres that can satisfy the most casual to the most core. Even that doesn’t seem like it’s enough.

http://venturebeat.com/2008/10/06/q...eggie-fils-aime-on-game-industry-competition/

Wait.

I kind of feel like it's pretty simple to look at every company in the industry over the last, say, 10 years... and look at what got a warm reception... and look at what didn't get a warm reception... and with maybe a few hours of doing this, get a good sense of whether or not the overall presentation is going to go over well.

It's also pretty easy to understand that when a company announces something that's not all they have coming down the pipeline. Yet E3 comes and goes with nothing but disappointment and doom and gloom.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

• People wanted a reason to plop down $250-300 on a console with 6 year old technology.

Nintendo failed to deliver a compelling reason.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
They say what else because before the wii released we already knew about Mario Galaxy, zelda TP, Metroid Prime 3, Smash Bros, and I think a few others. Thing is not all were launched within the "launch window" but this time they seem to only say what will be at the launch window.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
See this is the same problem they had with the Wii.

They still don't get the idea that hardcore gamers buy a lot of games. They want more than just one game a year. Also I think many Nintendo fans, myself included wanted to see games that look like something new. Pikmin 3, and NSMB 2 look like they would be possible on a Wii minus the HD graphics.

I wanted the same feeling I got when I saw Mario 64, Wind Waker, Mario Galaxy, and the original Pikmin for the first time.

Gartooth

It's not just content, the way Nintendo's E3 presser was set up was also a trainwreck. Ideally, they should have started with NSMBU and ended with Pikmin 3.

Is he really complaining because we want to buy more quality products? Does he want us to be satisfied with one Mario and never buy another Mario title again?

Is this the same Nintendo that released Mario 64 multiple times?

gaf loves twisting things.

Reggie says 'So it's an interesting challenge.' that's not calling out. saying 'I love that our fans are insatiable, but it troubles me too' is not calling out.

if you want to mock him, mock him for making out that it's hard to satisfy customers... but don't claim he 'called out' customers or criticised them or said they should change.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So you show off a game that looks pretty much the same as one of your Wii titles, a bunch of crap no one cares about (Nintendoland!!!!). Show some other games that have been announced for a year and Pikmin 3.

When people say "Launch with Mario" they mean shit that evolves the genre, not a rehash. They want their Mario 64 magic on launch.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Replace Wii Fit for either F-Zero, StarFox, Metroid, etc. and 90% of the complaints would have gone away.

Anth0ny

"And so for years this community has been asking, 'Where's the third party support?' 'Where's the third party support?' 'Where's the third party support?' We give them Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition. And then they say, 'What else?'

bjork

Reggie, I want something new. I don't want to fetch Link's shield again, break blocks again, or collect apples again. NEW.

MisterHero

Haha, nice.

Is anyone else worried about Reggie these days? I think Nintendo need to reign him in a little ...
I think Reggie is understandably reacting to the realization that Nintendo can't win. EVER.

Always doomed. DOOOOOOOOOOMED

I used to have no hopes for Nintendo's conferences, then they showed Twilight Princess 2004, and ever since then I've always expected them to trumph that.

All I want for Christmas is F-zero U with good online.

Also, 2 analog nubs for 3DS XL. :(
"I have heard people say, 'You know, you've got these fantastic franchises, beyond what you're doing in Smash Bros., isn't there a way to leverage all these franchises?' So we create Nintendo Land and they say, 'Ho-hum, give me more.' So it's an interesting challenge."
I don't want no F-zero minigame. I want the real thing dammit.

upandaway

He's right. Nintendo announced six first-party titles for the launch window (first three to four months on the market) of the Wii U:

- New Super Mario Bros. U
- Pikmin 3
- Nintendo Land
- Project P-100
- Game & Wario
- LEGO City Undercover

While it's fair for people to eagerly await more, to complain and hate on Nintendo for their offerings is absurd, given how strong the launch lineup is in that regard.
Buying a system at launch isn't only about the launch games, but the promise of the system. It's silly to launch a system without announcing any game for it beyond the launch window.

The general attitude would be to wait and decide when things DO get announced. Also complain on message boards online.

badgenome

Haha, nice.

Is anyone else worried about Reggie these days? I think Nintendo need to reign him in a little ...

Not particularly. He's always been a dick. I just wish he'd quit kicking so many asses and taking so many names, and find the time to localize some games.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's also pretty easy to understand that when a company announces something that's not all they have coming down the pipeline. Yet E3 comes and goes with nothing but disappointment and doom and gloom.

Yes, and Nintendo is still releasing the same games whether they attend E3 or not, so no one should react negatively if they skip it altogether. Or if they show up and tell knock-knock jokes the whole show. Stuff is still coming down the pipeline regardless.

Nintendo didn't manage expectations or suggest to anyone that they were going to play this one any different. This was the first showing of the Wii U for a year. Every antecedent conversation about the Wii U suggested that E3 was going to be the big reveal.

The disappointment is not "I will be disappointed from now until the end of my life. Nintendo has permanently burnt bridges. The game is over.", it was "I really wasn't impressed by what they've shown and I don't see any particular reason to be confident about it based on what they've shown so far."

Muffdraul

Reality-

Reggie: "I give you new Mario and new Zelda!"

Fans: "Yay! What about Pikmin?"

~next year~

Reggie: "I give you new Pikmin!"

Fans: "Yay! What about 3D Mario and Zelda?"

------------------------------------------------------

In Reggie's mind-

Reggie: "I give you new Mario and new Zelda!"

Fans: "FUCK YOU FUCKER WE WANT PIKMIN"

~next year~

Reggie: "I give you new Pikmin!"

Fans: "FUCK YOU WE KILL YOU NOW DIE"

Metallix87

Buying a system at launch isn't only about the launch games, but the promise of the system. It's silly to launch a system without announcing any game for it beyond the launch window.

When they announce games that don't arrive at or near launch, people complain, like they did last year with regards to Zelda, Mario, and Mario Kart on 3DS.

Nintendo can't win. EVER. FACT.

Give me a creative Mario game instead of an SMB cash-in.

Give me a creative meta-franchise game instead of shit that looks stupider than PlayStation Home.

People were expecting Pikmin 3 years ago because Miyamoto kept talking about it.

He's such an ass.

Top Bottom