• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie calls out unsatisfied fans

TDLink

Source is Kotaku (I know): http://kotaku.com/5920572/the-trouble-with-the-never+satisfied-gamer

Fils-Aime: One of the things that, on one hand, I love and, on the other hand, that troubles me tremendously about not only our fanbase but about the gaming community at large is that, whenever you share information, the perspective is, 'Thank you, but I want more.' 'Thank you, but give me more.' I mean, it is insatiable.

"And so for years this community has been asking, 'Where's Pikmin?' 'Where's Pikmin?' 'Where's Pikmin?' We give them Pikmin. And then they say, 'What else?'

"For years, this community have said, 'Damnit Reggie, when you launch, you better launch with a Mario game.' So we launch with a Mario game, and they say, 'So what's more?'

"I have heard people say, 'You know, you've got these fantastic franchises, beyond what you're doing in Smash Bros., isn't there a way to leverage all these franchises?' So we create Nintendo Land and they say, 'Ho-hum, give me more.' So it's an interesting challenge."

More at the link.

sajj316

Where is Nintendo Kart? A Kart game with Nintendo franchises (other than Mario)! That is what the gaming community is asking for .. (at least me)

Miles X

Different people want different things ... is the man an idiot. The masses arnt one small group of people, you're never going to please everyone.

Metallix87

He's right. Nintendo announced six first-party titles for the launch window (first three to four months on the market) of the Wii U:

- New Super Mario Bros. U
- Pikmin 3
- Nintendo Land
- Project P-100
- Game & Wario
- LEGO City Undercover

While it's fair for people to eagerly await more, to complain and hate on Nintendo for their offerings is absurd, given how strong the launch lineup is in that regard.

SmithnCo

I have heard people say, 'You know, you've got these fantastic franchises, beyond what you're doing in Smash Bros., isn't there a way to leverage all these franchises?' So we create Nintendo Land

teehee

MMaRsu

Banned
I think people were expecting software that truly showcases various aspects of the wii u. Pikmin and another new new really new this time mario bros isnt gonna cut it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I believe fans and consumers have been asking for online multiplayer for two straight generations as well.

Any answers to that?

And so for years this community has been asking, 'Where's Pikmin?' 'Where's Pikmin?' 'Where's Pikmin?' We give them Pikmin

Sir you have been grossly misinformed if you believe I have been clamoring for a new Pkimin game.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
He's right. Nintendo announced six first-party titles for the launch window (first three to four months on the market) of the Wii U:

- Pikmin 3
- Nintendo Land
- Project P-100
- Game & Wario
- LEGO City Undercover

While it's fair for people to eagerly await more, to complain and hate on Nintendo for their offerings is absurd, given how strong the launch lineup is in that regard.

People want a legit Zelda so yeah, there's that.

Can't show off a tech demo like that and NOT expect them to ask.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
cmABW.png

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I kind of feel like it's pretty simple to look at every company in the industry over the last, say, 10 years... and look at what got a warm reception... and look at what didn't get a warm reception... and with maybe a few hours of doing this, get a good sense of whether or not the overall presentation is going to go over well.

- Pikmin 3
- Nintendo Land
- Project P-100
- Game & Wario
- LEGO City Undercover

Two of those six weren't announced at the conference people were complaining about, instead relying on people poring over subsequent E3 content. Game & Wario barely got 5 lines of coverage across the entire internet.

That Nintendo chose to pretend 2013 and onwards didn't exist was their decision to make, but people are allowed to react to that. Many people would have been happier if they had a better sense of what was coming next. No one gets launch price worth of value out of the launch offerings of any console, so many launch purchases are made based on the assumption that a solid pipeline of content is coming. Nintendo has opted only to show the launch period, so as of right now people are uneasy about it.

Many of the same people disappointed with Nintendo's showing this year were not disappointed with Nintendo's showing E3 2006. The two conferences are a study in contrast.

Metallix87

People want a legit Zelda so yeah, there's that.

Can't show off a tech demo like that and NOT expect them to ask.

We just had a new Zelda a few months ago! Why can't people just wait a few years, to ensure we get a great Zelda game? Why MUST they announce a new Zelda at every convention and event?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
  • 2D Mario doesn't count as a Mario game
  • The Treehouse people should have warned Reggie. Do they share our tastes?
  • People wanted to see a game built around an innovative use of the controller.
  • Pikmin is not the fully-realized Nintendo HD game people were hoping for.
  • Besides Pikmin 3, all the games were geared towards casual & light gaming

The only positive thing about Wii U possibly bombing (I hope it doesn't) is Reggie getting cut. I get the feeling he is on thin ice because of the 3DS struggles.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You know I don't remember that many complaints the year they showed off like ten games including Kirby and Donkey Kong.

So GAF, Reggie is asking - are you "for" or "against" Pikmin 3?
where's online co-op? since honestly, I think at least for millions of people who never owned a GC, buying Pikmin 2 is a much safer choice than buying Pikmin 3, at least as long as it is in the prints.

Top Bottom