• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie:Making politicl statemnts are for other people todo, we want people tohave fun

There’s been some talk with Far Cry 5 that Ubisoft’s game is being political based on its setting. The National approached Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime about the situation, and his response was hardly surprising.

“Making political statements are for other people to do,” he said. “We want people to smile and have fun when they play our games.”

Source: http://nintendoeverything.com/reggi...-nintendo-wants-people-to-smile-and-have-fun/

Video: https://youtu.be/yzJ0P0c3MxM?t=3544

Nibel

We know you're woke Nintendo

2YJ18kT.png

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Are people seriously going to be upset about Nintendo saying this? Most of their games barely even have a story.

NotLiquid

Obviously it's possible to have both, but if Nintendo don't want to make or don't feel confident in adding overarching political statements into their games that's entirely fair. Like he says, plenty of devs exist out there who are willing to do it instead, and likely would do it better.
Not sure why you'd be asking Reggie this question rather than any of the actual devs though.

Trevelyan

Banned
I'm with him 100%. Why can't a company just focus on people having fun? There's so much bullshit in everyone's real life day-to-day, can't a company just focus on having fun and trying to bring a smile to people's faces?

JusDoIt

James Brown songs made political statements. They also made people smile and have fun. Not sure why Nintendo games can't do both too.

Good. Nintendo games with that Nintendo magic never fail to make me have a stupid ass wide smile while playing and forgetting everything else. To clarify, the type of games they do is great and I don't want it to go away. I'm glad we have people who want to have something to say in their games and people who don't, there's always room for both.

emb

Not sure what else people would want someone like Reggie to say when given this sort of question.

Of all the questions he has been asked over E3 this might be the dumbest. Anyone who has read an interview by him ever would know this is what he would say.

Such a cowardly manufactured answer probably what Nintendo wants him to say too though

Sounds like an oh everything is just burning and people getting lynched ohhhh let's ignore that just have fun 1800s kind of thinking

kunonabi

Funny thing is Xenoblade X did a much better of incorporating social issues and themes than all these western games with their hamfisted, overbearing implementations.

Boss Man

I'm with him 100%. Why can't a company just focus on people having fun? There's so much bullshit in everyone's real life day-to-day, can't a company just focus on having fun and trying to bring a smile to people's faces?
Because I can't enjoy something that may not be of my tribe.

That seems like a really random thing to ask him. I don't really have a problem with the answer though. Nintendo primarily makes games aimed at children, not much of a reason to focus on politics there.

bomblord1

Banned
Reminds me of a similar statement by Aonouma's when asked about putting messages into Zelda.
Aounuma said:
“I haven’t and won’t be trying to put any message or meaning into the games. (If someone else were to make a Zelda game though, of course it might be different.) Occasionally I receive messages from fans telling me how playing Zelda games has changed their lives. While of course this makes me incredibly happy to hear, I feel a great sense of responsibility as well, so part of me feels that developers putting their own ideologies in games is kind of scary.”

FinalAres

Mixed feelings. I'd like Nintendo to break boundaries, and saying "we just don't do that" seems a little unambitious.

On the other hand it's not as if that doesn't leave a ton of room for ambition and innovation in other areas, so if they want to steer clear, fair enough.

Kangi

So long as you don't consider including gay people in stuff like Tomodachi Life a "political statement"...

It's true that everything is political, but we gotta admit that Farcry 5 is way more political than like, uh, Mario Maker. And obviously that is by some design.

Some Nobody

lol. Ya'll want everything to be political so bad. You can barely get a narrative out of a Nintendo story and you want them to make some statements? Chill.

Fireblend

Banned
I feel like this is a question he was unprepared for and thus gave a bad-sounding answer. A better answer would be that Nintendo games do convey messaged but they're more general and universal, just not as focused or immediate as other games tackle, which is fine. Nintendo is sort of the Disney of gaming, it's not like Disney films say nothing or are devoid of some message creators want to transmit to their audience, but they're not contemporary documentaries either.

There is nothing wrong whatsoever about Nintendo taking this stance. The majority of their games barely have any narrative as is.

The likes of Mario, Donkey Kong, Kirby etc. don't have all that much to say.

TheSun

Sheesh, was Reggie drunk? Couldn't make out the title at first.

But yeah, I'm actually curious about what the developers have to say about the subject.

Top Bottom