• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie : No Wii successor talk until 45 million US Wiis sold / GAF speculates

If it doesn't offer anything amazing or is cheap, i'll probably skip it. I have been "Burned" by Nintendo consoles 3 times. Decent 1st party support that dries up after the first year or so and abysmal 3rd party support. Antiquated ideas (aside waggle). The Wii was particularly disappointing, I'm just done. More Wii2 for y'all.

Gvaz

Banned
The wii was a huge disappointment for me. I hope they just stop and make an N64 2 with the best graphics and no waggle controls. It was interesting for a time, but I'm sick of it now and it doesn't bring anything interesting to the table, imo.

Seda

The Abominable Snowman said:
If it doesn't offer anything amazing or is cheap, i'll probably skip it. I have been "Burned" by Nintendo consoles 3 times. Decent 1st party support that dries up after the first year or so and abysmal 3rd party support. Antiquated ideas (aside waggle). The Wii was particularly disappointing, I'm just done. More Wii2 for y'all.

If this is referencing the Wii, didn't SMG2, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Metroid all come out last year, with Skyword Sword on the horizon? Are there other franchises you want to see more?

Honest question, I'm not trying to be snarky.

farnham

Banned
Seda said:
If this is referencing the Wii, didn't SMG2, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Metroid all come out last year, with Skyword Sword on the horizon? Are there other franchises you want to see more?

Honest question, I'm not trying to be snarky.
you are asking an honest question to someone who tries to troll

farnham

Banned
Gvaz said:
The wii was a huge disappointment for me. I hope they just stop and make an N64 2 with the best graphics and no waggle controls. It was interesting for a time, but I'm sick of it now and it doesn't bring anything interesting to the table, imo.
well n64 wasnt really a money maker for nintendo as nintendo wii was

i think they will gladly endure your drop of support and chase after the wii audience that has bought triple the amount of consoles the n64 sold

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Wii2 is unnecessary, there's no real market for it.

I'd rather have Nintendo studios focus on 3DS. I want Mario Galaxy 3DS, a brand new cell shaded Zelda, Pikmin, wave race, F-Zero, wario ware, new IPs... A big title each month, for years to come.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Alienshogun said:
Just because they are making money doesn't mean they are relevant to the gaming world anymore, the "meat" of the gaming world anyway. Their main contribution will be motion gaming which may change how FPS are played, that's it.

Nintendo needs to step it up, or step aside.
You =/= the gaming world.

rpmurphy

marc^o^ said:
Wii2 is unnecessary, there's no real market for it.

I'd rather have Nintendo studios focus on 3DS. I want Mario Galaxy 3DS, a brand new cell shaded Zelda, Pikmin, wave race, F-Zero, wario ware, new IPs... A big title each month, for years to come.
Yeah, regardless of whether GAF likes it or not, I doubt Nintendo would go forward with a new generation without a new gimmick that isn't just upping the internal specs. It won't sell to the wider userbase they have built up, and taking their bets on the technophile demographic is extremely risky considering Sony and MS would easily outclass them.

Deku

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Yes

I am sure Nintendo is going to follow the advice of people telling them to make an N64-2.

Unsustainable business models are unsustainable.

The amazing thing is the home console business is a giant clusterfuck this generation because Microsoft decided they will just pile on the losses and see how much market they can take, and well Sony, we know what happened there.

I'm not sure what the next-gen of gaming is going to look like, but I think another generation like this and we will see Sony pulling back their exposure.

neo2046

posted?

translation (maybe I am wrong)
Iwata says no Wii successor soon.
Wii just come out for 4 years
There are still over 7 millions units of Wii sold in NA each year, it has not reached its limit yet.
They will think about to release Wii successor when the developers has no new surprise (idea) on Wii

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/atmoney/enterprises/manda/20110228-OYT8T00464.htm
――据え置き型の「Wii(ウィー)」の後継機は。
 「発売後まだ4年。米国では年間700万台以上も売れており、限界とは思っていない。ソフト開発者が(ウィーで)驚きを提供できない、という段階で、後継機について判断する」

neo2046 said:
posted?

Iwata says no Wii successor in coming 4 years.
There are still over 7 millions units of Wii sold in NA each year, it has not reached its limit yet.
They will think about to release Wii successor when the developers has no new surprise (idea) on Wii

――据え置き型の「Wii(ウィー)」の後継機は。
 「発売後まだ4年。米国では年間700万台以上も売れており、限界とは思っていない。ソフト開発者が(ウィーで)驚きを提供できない、という段階で、後継機について判断する」

Now that's a bit... too... long. Like 2-3 years too long ^^

[Nintex]

neo2046 said:
posted?

――据え置き型の「Wii(ウィー)」の後継機は。

What? What is the date of that article?

confused

Banned
neo2046 said:
posted?

Iwata says no Wii successor in coming 4 years.

――据え置き型の「Wii(ウィー)」の後継機は。

Oh fuck. Thank god I already stepped out of console-gaming. Ten year generations suck donkey ass. So by the time the next Nintendo console comes out we'll be playing on 15 year old hardware ? GG Nintendo.

farnham

Banned
neo2046 said:
posted?

――据え置き型の「Wii(ウィー)」の後継機は。
interesting

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
confused said:
Oh fuck. Thank god I already stepped out of console-gaming. Ten year generations suck donkey ass. So by the time the next Nintendo console comes out we'll be playing on 15 year old hardware ? GG Nintendo.

My guess is that seven to ten-year generations will now be the norm. We've finally hit the point where, in the general gaming market (i.e., NOT GAF), the differences in graphics between consoles released 5 years apart will be negligible enough to not matter to the vast majority of people who buy the consoles.

A seven to ten-year wait allows for a large enough "jump" in graphics/technology to make the systems actually seem worth it.

BMF said:
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=598&name=Blu-Ray-Drives

It's in no way definitive, but it will give you a ballpark. I think that ballpark is $30-40 for a 10x at the end of next year. No video playback for the Nintendo system, but I wouldn't put a XBOX 1 style remote control dongle past them.

I wouldn't put a shitty software architecture that'll be completely cracked within 6 months past them, either.

Also Iwata said "The Wii's ONLY BEEN OUT FOR 4 YEARS" in that first sentence.

rpmurphy

McHuj said:
I'm confused. Is it coming out this year then?
It's probably not a metric that people outside Nintendo's internal dev teams would have much influence on. They've explained it in past Iwata Asks.

[Nintex]

rpmurphy said:
It's probably not a metric that people outside Nintendo's internal dev teams would have much influence on. They've explained it in past Iwata Asks.
Looks at first party release list:

2011:
Zelda

...'

confused

Banned
Plinko said:
My guess is that seven to ten-year generations will now be the norm. We've finally hit the point where, in the general gaming market (i.e., NOT GAF), the differences in graphics between consoles released 5 years apart will be negligible enough to not matter to the vast majority of people who buy the consoles.

A seven to ten-year wait allows for a large enough "jump" in graphics/technology to make the systems actually seem worth it.

But Nintendo has already had 10 years in this gen......

Man, I remember when GameCube had been out only 4 years.
medium_iwatawiiremote.jpg

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
AbsoluteZero said:
I'd be fine with another 4 years of the Wii.
I'd be fine with either another 4 years of Wii or a new backwards compatible console with some type of Wii upscaling.

RedSwirl

Plinko said:

More importantly, it gives the consoles enough time to hit mass-market price and thrive there for a while, and developers more time to master the hardware.

antonz

RedSwirl said:
More importantly, it gives the consoles enough time to hit mass-market price and thrive there for a while, and developers more time to master the hardware.

This Long Generation is only happening because fucktards thought building a thousand dollar box made sense.

Next Gen you wont be seeing thousand dollar consoles and the cycle will continue as usual

The Abominable Snowman said:
I'd say Nintendo kept the Wii going for 2 years then blew it's load at the end of the second year. The first two years saw a million selling game nearly every month. I'm not going to turn this into list warz or whatever but they supported it pretty well. Holidays 2008/2009 is where they messed up. 2010 was great software wise too though. We'll see how 2011 goes. So far it isn't looking good but if I get Zelda and Pikmin, I'll be satisified. I have other things I'm interested in on 3DS and 360.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Man, I remember when GameCube had been out only 4 years.
medium_iwatawiiremote.jpg
Iwata basically cashed out on the GC.

Announcing they were (temporarily) halting production is probably the biggest mistake I have seen him make since he became a higher up at Nintendo. If he wanted to, he could have ridden the GC install base to past the XBox and finished the generation there.

He clearly saw more value in announcing the Wii early and just curbstomping the Gamecube. I don't think he sees the Wii the same way at all.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America

That would make an announcement long overdue. Also When your handheld system is as good if not better hardware wise than your home console you know something is wrong.

Doc Holliday said:
That would make an announcement long overdue. Also When your handheld system is as good if not better hardware wise than your home console you know something is wrong.
Someone better tell Sony before it's too late.

Anything Nintendo says now is all smoke and mirrors and PR babble. I've maintained that the Wii successor will come out holiday 2012 for a few years now, and I'm sticking to that. Their unwillingness to be proactive with price cuts, dry spells, and lack of popular budget titles (when the HD systems are slowly amassing dozens) already crippled the momentum Wii had early on, and mixed with the Wii's lack of future proofing (itty bitty internal memory, no HD capabilities) Nintendo's hand is going to be forced in the next couple years.

marc^o^

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Anything Nintendo says now is all smoke and mirrors and PR babble. I've maintained that the Wii successor will come out holiday 2012 for a few years now, and I'm sticking to that. Their unwillingness to be proactive with price cuts, dry spells, and lack of popular budget titles (when the HD systems are slowly amassing dozens) already crippled the momentum Wii had early on, and mixed with the Wii's lack of future proofing (itty bitty internal memory, no HD capabilities) Nintendo's hand is going to be forced in the next couple years.
The mobile market is much more strategic.
They can still sell wii to satisfying level by decreasing the price and going to growth markets.

Nintendo needs focus. They need to make 3DS a huge success before thinking of expanding this success to a new home console. And that's exactly what they say they will do.

Vinci

Danish
marc^o^ said:
The mobile market is much more strategic.
They can still sell wii to satisfying level by decreasing the price and going to growth markets.

Nintendo needs focus. They need to make 3DS a huge success before thinking of expanding this success to a new home console. And that's exactly what they say they will do.

Yeah, they're focusing pretty heavily on the 3DS (and they should). We won't see a new console from Nintendo for at least another two years.

Eteric Rice

Vinci said:
Yeah, they're focusing pretty heavily on the 3DS (and they should). We won't see a new console from Nintendo for at least another two years.

Nintendo is also expanding, though. So they might be able to work on both now.

Vinci

Danish
Eteric Rice said:
Nintendo is also expanding, though. So they might be able to work on both now.

Both the 3DS and a new console? Perhaps, but they're still going to lead any new hardware's first couple of years with their best teams to guarantee the system's momentum. For them to pump out HD titles from their big teams, which haven't even hit the 3DS full force? I'd still say two years, at least.

Who knows, you might be right though.

I want their next system to be called Nintendo HD... or NES HD.

That simple.

It could even have a similar form factor as the classic NES. What do you guys think?

marc^o^

It's not as simple as dedicating teams, or expanding. Who needs a wii 2, seriously? The market is not ready AT ALL to buy a wii 2 on top of the 3DS. Nintendo can't afford to cannibalize and jeopardize its handheld chances with a new console, among such smartphone/NGP competition

Besides, Mario Kart, Nintendo's best system seller, is releasing this year... on 3DS = this means no chance to see a new Nintendo console before end of 2012, at the earliest.

Sadist

I'm still pretty confident that Nintendo EAD Tokyo is working on new console hardware. They have two teams now right? Would seem quite logical to put your best team on something and I don't think a new Galaxy 3 is in the cards.

Unless they're developing Yoshi's Island Wii :p

Top Bottom