• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie on CNN: "3rd-party games like CoD look dramatically better on our system"

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
A buddy of mine was over last night who mainly plays the 360 version and he said the Wii version looked smoother and said he didn't see the screen tearing.

Your buddy may need these:

Thick-glasses.jpg

Yeah his job, especially for a company that needs casuals so much like Nintendo, is to say and do whatever is necessary to get as many sales as possible. And we all know casuals have shit for brains when it comes to gaming. I guarantee you the ones who saw that interview believed him. Just like they believe COD is a HD game.

I'd argue that hardcore gamers have an equal shit for brain ratio.
They just need different impulses to felate their egos.
Take one of the seasonal toppings: Visceral, action, mature, immersive etc etc.

Was Reggie's source BGAssassin?

BG: "Trust me Reggie, it runs at 1080p 60FPS!"

Reggie: "Well, BG, I've looked at the specs the Japan office set and I don't really..."

BG: "Reggie!"

Reggie: *Looks sheepishly towards BG*

BG: "eDRAM, GPGPU"

Reggie: "Cool!"

Since someone said there should be a thread about this interview - here you go.

Reggie talked about the WiiU including some stuff about the competition and how it's different to the Wii.

Wouldn't have expected some of the questions from CNN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=137X2LcF-wM

Reggie on CNN: "3rd-party games like CoD look dramatically better on our system"

Do third party games not look better on Wii U than on Wii? Is this an untrue statement? I haven't seen the interview, but does Reggie ever say that the games look better on Wii U versus XBox 360/PS3 specifically? Because if not, this is just one of those unfortunate things that is technically true but incredibly misleading (like most things Reggie says).

miksar

Yeah his job, especially for a company that needs casuals so much like Nintendo, is to say and do whatever is necessary to get as many sales as possible. And we all know casuals have shit for brains when it comes to gaming. I guarantee you the ones who saw that interview believed him. Just like they believe COD is a HD game.
He could've got away easily by saying something like "it uses more modern and advanced graphics technology" as it is actually true.

jerd

Was Reggie's source BGAssassin?

BG: "Trust me Reggie, it runs at 1080p 60FPS!"

Reggie: "Well, BG, I've looked at the specs the Japan office set and I don't really..."

BG: "Reggie!"

Reggie: *Looks sheepishly towards BG*

BG: "eDRAM, GPGPU"

Reggie: "Cool!"

Dude, what's with the attacks on BG? Seriously one of GAF's nicest guys who never claimed to be an insider, was mostly down to earth with his predictions, and made it clear that they were only predictions.

Do third party games not look better on Wii U than on Wii? Is this an untrue statement? I haven't seen the interview, but does Reggie ever say that the games look better on Wii U versus XBox 360/PS3 specifically? Because if not, this is just one of those unfortunate things that is technically true but incredibly misleading (like most things Reggie says).

No, they don't, heck he mentions CoD and that has worse framerate than all other versions

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Announcer: "It also has a new controller, its called the *dramatic pause* "Gamepad"!"

SJRB

Gold Member
He can say it there, because there is no one knowledgeable enough to argue with him.

If he would've said something like this to someone like Keighly he would've been destroyed [again].

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
He can say it there, because there is no one knowledgeable enough to argue with him.

If he would've said something like this to someone like Keighly he would've been destroyed [again].

Nah, he would have offered Keighley a Dorito and defanged any possible attack.

madmackem

Yes its in response to wii u being on par with 360 and ps3 spec wise.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
dramatically great comeback

Swing and a miss.

Either he knows he's lying or he seriously believes the WiiU version looks "dramatically" better. Which it doesn't. And it has gaping performance issues while looking worse at times.

I don't even know why some are touting it looks better when it makes visual compromises to even keep performance at levels below PS3/360.

Kenka

Dude, what's with the attacks on BG? Seriously one of GAF's nicest guys who never claimed to be an insider, was mostly down to earth with his predictions, and made it clear that they were only predictions.
It's fine. BG has been the playing the tune we've all danced on for quite some time now. He he.

hongcha

I haven't seen the interview, but does Reggie ever say that the games look better on Wii U versus XBox 360/PS3 specifically? Because if not, this is just one of those unfortunate things that is technically true but incredibly misleading (like most things Reggie says).

The question was framed in the context of the PS3 and X360 (both explicitly mentioned) and Reggie answered in specific reference to the PS3 and X360 ("competitive systems"). He wasn't talking about the Wii. He also looked a bit agitated at the question.

daycru

Looking forward to the true believers linking to this video during Wii tech threads.

Reggie said it is more powerful!

Feature

Banned
Disgusting lie. But most moms and kids aren't going to fact check when they buy the thing. All they'll see is "oooh purty colors"

Amir0x

Banned
Disgusting lie. But most moms and kids aren't going to fact check when they buy the thing. All they'll see is "oooh purty colors"

Honestly though, he probably shouldn't have used Call of Duty for the example. I mean it's possible to trick people into thinking the Wii U version is "slightly" better looking if you're not educated, placebo effect and all that, but dramatically better? The casuals know Call of Duty more than any other franchise. They'll probably be a little annoyed if they pick up a Wii U and it looks "the same" (even worse, really!)

i-Lo

Calling on Nintendo Defence Force nao! Protect yar honour, protect the best interest of Nintendo! Tell them the CPU is challenging and not slow, tell these heathens that CoD looks "dramatically better" than PS3 360 version and that people are too blind to see it etc etc.

EDIT:

It has begun:

10/10 in "telling bullshit while technically not lying" category

How's it technically not a lie?

Because dramatically is a subjective category.

Calling on Nintendo Defence Force nao! Protect yar honour, protect the best interest of Nintendo! Tell them the CPU is challenging and not slow, tell these heathens that CoD looks "dramatically better" than PS3 360 version and that people are too blind to see it etc etc.

Oh keep it in your pants will you. There is enough to go at in this Interview, why feel the need to bring this mental diarrhea in here?

The interviewer mentioned that the Wii U specs are pretty much on par with the PS3 and 360. She then asked if he was worried that the Wii U would be a generation behind once Sony and MS released their new consoles. Reggie "corrected" her by saying that the specs quite different than the competitive systems and it was much more graphically intensive. He said that if you were to do a side by side comparison you'd see that third party games, like CoD, look "dramatically better on our system".

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
When brainless dummies aren't going to bother doing any research or fact check his ass then you can get away with blatantly lying like that. It's also why republicans are still so popular in this country.

*insert tag quote*

miksar

Honestly though, he probably shouldn't have used Call of Duty for the example. I mean it's possible to trick people into thinking the Wii U version is "slightly" better looking if you're not educated, placebo effect and all that, but dramatically better? The casuals know Call of Duty more than any other franchise. They'll probably be a little annoyed if they pick up a Wii U and it looks "the same" (even worse, really!)
People believe what they want to believe. If they want to think it looks dramatically better, it will, it's a new shiny thing after all. Just look at the post in this thread where a regular 360 CoD player thought the U version looked "smoother".

Amir0x

Banned
Because dramatically is a subjective category.

right but it doesn't look better at all... it runs worse! that's not subjective, there are actually objective measures we can use like tearing, framerate, etc etc. Sure if the Wii U version looked even a little better we could probably forgive him the word "dramatically", but it doesn't... it runs worse in many ways.

BillyBats said:
I agree with your first statement but fuck off on your second.

Come to PoliGAF, BillyBats! We want to parlay with you!

miksar said:
People believe what they want to believe. If they want to think it looks dramatically better, it will, it's a new shiny thing after all. Just look at the post in this thread where a regular 360 CoD player thought the U version looked "smoother".

I guess that is true... placebo effect of "BRAND NEW TOY" is strong after all...

Top Bottom