• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie on NX vs Neo/Scorpio: "For us it's not about specs", "red ocean"

Shiggy

It's about getting back the family gamers, Ubisoft already revealed that ;)

And I agree both with Reggie's statement and the supposed strategy. Nintendo competing with Sony and MS didn't work this gen, why would it work with NX?

ironcreed

Banned
you-dont-say.gif

Shocking news.

18-Volt

But it IS about specs for third party. And without 3rd party, passing 10 million mark would be a big achievement, Reggie. Or whoever making him to say that.

Hoo-doo

Banned
As if this even needed extra clarification. They wouldn't even be able to compete in the spec-war hardware race.

gwiz210

Let's be real though, did anyone expect him to feel/present this any differently? Even if the NX does have good hardware spec-wise he's still going to say it's not about that because that's part of how Nintendo presents their brand.

El Topo

I'm fairly sure Nintendo see's this as well. I don't foresee this coming out at any more than $299. Possibly even $249 if they can break even at that price.

I mean, you can get an Xbox One at that price already (e.g. a Quantum Break + Alan Wake bundle). Unless they have a really compelling hook, that price will do nothing.

Shin-chan

Seems like Nintendo were blindsided a bit by the Neo and Scorpio. They thought they'd be a touch ahead of the curve only to discover they'll be a little behind as usual. I don't mind how strong their hardware is as long as they get rid of the awful gamepad and gimmicks.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Uh-oh. While I agree with the sentiment, I find this statement is usually used to justify underpowered hardware.

Pretty much. "It's not about specs" shouldn't be used to justify an underpowered machine. Nintendo is stuck in 1996.

Worked great for them with the Wii, and they are hoping to recreate that with the NX - they said it would have a new technology just as different was the Wii's motion controls were.

Hindl

I don't know why anyone expected differently. I expect the NX to be a step up from the Wii U, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's barely on par with the Xbox One and PS4. Once the Neo and Scorpio come out it won't be close to them

Reggie quoted as saying 'We're still fucked for third party multiplatform title support for at minimum of the rest of the decade'

Wii U was competitive with the 360 and PS3 when it came out. Didn't do jack shit for 3rd party.

Nintendo won't get third party back just by having a strong system.

Top Bottom