• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: Wii U becomes profitable with just 1 game purchase

Log4Girlz

Prior to the release of the GameCube, it was mocked by some for its specs. having less main ram than the ps2 and the official "6 to 12 million polygons a second" ( vs 66 and 80 odd million for Xbox and playstation 2). Gamecube ports from playstation 2 were usually shitty and inferior.

Yet the games built specifically for it shined bright. Rogue leader , fzero gx , re4 revealed a very capable console.

Kind of like the Wii U if it were released 7 years ago.

FyreWulff

At this point I'm wondering if it'd of been worth just scrapping the tablet and focusing on just making a bigger generational-leap 'Super' Wii. Emphasis on wondering since I don't own the system yet so I have no clue how the tablet feels and in a year's time I'll probably look back on this post and laugh at myself for suggesting Nintendo cut the system's main selling point.

Doesn't change my opinion that 1st party games and Wii-U exclusive 3rd party games like Rayman and ZombiU are going to be great, but stupid as hell after admitting the Wii suffered a huge 3rd party drought Nintendo let the same thing happen again.

It didn't matter how far they would have jumped up. MS and Sony would have been able to outdo it easily just based on the extra time they had until release.

The Wii U has reasons to it's price and power, and they're hedging their bets without risking the entire company.

How is it that the company that made the Gamecube which beat the crap out of the ps2/DC and cost 200 bucks only a year or two later, and broke even or profited, unable to make a system released 7 years later at 350 bucks only the same power level and sold at a loss. It really boggles my mind, I understand inflation and the exchange rate issue, but come on.

The Wii U is not at the same power level as the 360 or PS3. It's above them.

Oh, so the only reason you hate it is because it's inconvenient, because you have to send your broken thing into Nintendo. Oh darn. You would be rather rich or lazy or ignorant to just buy another piece of hardware rather than sending the broken one in - even discounting the fact that Nintendo will restore all of your purchases on the replacement device (and can always do so regardless of the condition of the device, since they *do* have an account with all your purchases on it), they will charge FAR less than retail even if you are out of warranty. For example, at launch, the Wii's out-of-warranty replacement cost from Nintendo was $75 (I know this because my launch Wii had issues with its DVD drive and I had to replace it, and the invoice had the price, which was then canceled out due to warranty).
Dude. How about you think about international users who get screwed over because they can't send their shit to whatever Nintendo centre is in their country cause it doesn't exist? How about you think about the people who have their device stolen and Nintendo won't believe anything if they don't have a police report. It's bogus. It's extremely inconvenient compared to the competition and I cannot believe you think it's okay that your games are tied to the hardware just because you have the "privilege" of begging customer service and mailing them your device.

If the console breaks, they can send it back to Nintendo, they have the ''If you ask nicely, we'll do it for free'' policy. Even if it got stolen I'm sure something could be worked out with the CS at Nintendo. I'm confident the issue will be addressed very soon.

When my Wii had problems reading discs three years ago they fixed it for free, and I didn't even needed any proof of purchase. If that's not impeccable customer service then I ask you what is. So yeah, I trust them.
Yeah sure, I've heard the opposite to.Even if it gets stolen?

Oh that's nice. So because you've never had any problem, every one else hasn't either.

Lol, calm down, I'm sure they'll work something out. People will whine about it and they'll fix it. It wouldn't be logic to leave things like that anyway.
Oh right, like they worked it out like the Wii, DSi, and 3DS. And yet again, they start off with your account and games tied to the Wii U. They haven't learned anything.

NeonZ

How is it that the company that made the Gamecube which beat the crap out of the ps2/DC and cost 200 bucks only a year or two later, and broke even or profited, unable to make a system released 7 years later at 350 bucks only the same power level and sold at a loss. It really boggles my mind, I understand inflation and the exchange rate issue, but come on.

I wonder if it has to do with the Wii chipset? I imagined that they'd easily beat the past consoles because they wouldn't need to be tied to it at all this time, but that didn't happen. I guess the full Wii mode might have constrained the design in some ways...

FyreWulff

Not in terms of RAM (bandwith anyway or CPU power, unfortunately.

Not problems for competent developers. The hardware is still overall, more capable.

People going to the store and buying the latest CoD or Madden don't really care how fast the memory is. Nobody seemed to care before. They aren't going to start now.

I wonder if it has to do with the Wii chipset? I imagined that they'd easily beat the past consoles because they wouldn't need to be tied to it at all this time, but that didn't happen. I guess the full Wii mode might have constrained the design in some ways...

I'm not mechanically minded but it's surprising to me that they didn't use the old Wii processor as an OS/ I/O chip and power the games on a modern APU. Instead they introduced an ARM cpu for the OS side.

Edit: I think the PS2 and DS did something like that too.

The muscle car era of video games is dead.

You can still assemble a box of great hardware for a not outrageous price. MS and Sony will probably do this. Even though the results aren't as obvious as in the past.

What is almost impossible to do like 20 years ago is what I saw in that Mortal Kombat anniversary retrospective. A little engine that could putting out a big selling game. I wonder what the cost of making NBA Jam vs. only what 2K paid to license Michael Jordan.
A different analogy. The game industry covers more acres than it did before but the price of seeds and irrigation have way outpaced that. Nintendo is a game company who can't justify risking a lot on video games which is strange. The industry got huge with a lot of help from Nintendo so that others came in and the game became more hand grenades than horseshoes. Analogy number 3.

The generational leap Nintendo had to do that matters more than what is in the case was online. Strange thing is not Nintendo having only efficient hardware but how they fell behind with online. Only found out this year about the Satellaview system they had going in the 90s, that amazed me.

Uh, I'm only buying the deluxe bundle when it launches in the UK, cant afford any games just yet cos the good ones are mega expensive here. Sorry Reggie.

And R&D is always figured into that. Do you really think a PS3's BOM was over $700 at launch? Kinect was sold at a loss for $150, do you think it cost $150 for an IR light behind a filter, a low-res visual camera and a low-res IR camera (remember that Kinect was originally going to have a CPU in it, but they dropped that)? Companies always include development costs when they make these statements, the way they figure it out is kinda like credit card interest, where the dev cost is considered a large part of the device cost at first, and over time they lower and lower it until they've decided that the development cost has been paid off. Which is one of the big reasons devices get cheaper to manufacture over time.

Um no, its not. You really don't seem to have any idea of what you are going on about.

R&D isn't an expense that is calculated per unit. It goes into the net profit calculation of the entire business venture. There is a succinct difference between that and what reggie is talking about. Like GH said, R&D is written way before the console even launches. It doesn't "go down". Its not part of the COGS. There's no way you can lose R&D money for every console sold.

What Reggie is talking about is the BOM, manufacturing, and shipping costs. Its been the same thing for every loss-leading console. The loss of the per-unit sale is offset by royalties from services and games. e.g would be, the Xbox 360 was turning a per-unit sale profit in about a year after it launched but the whole project wasn't a net-profit(meaning R&D and initial losses and sunk costs) until a few years later. Or the PS3 has been turning a per-unit profit since 2010 but the whole project isn't anywhere close to being profitable.

And yeah, the PS3 BOM approached $900 by itself. Not to mention manufacturing and shipping.

The muscle car era of video games is dead.

You can still assemble a box of great hardware for a not outrageous price. MS and Sony will probably do this. Even though the results aren't as obvious as in the past.

What is almost impossible to do like 20 years ago is what I saw in that Mortal Kombat anniversary retrospective. A little engine that could putting out a big selling game. I wonder what the cost of making NBA Jam vs. only what 2K paid to license Michael Jordan.
A different analogy. The game industry covers more acres than it did before but the price of seeds and irrigation have way outpaced that. Nintendo is a game company who can't justify risking a lot on video games which is strange. The industry got huge with a lot of help from Nintendo so that others came in and the game became more hand grenades than horseshoes. Analogy number 3.

The generational leap Nintendo had to do that matters more than what is in the case was online. Strange thing is not Nintendo having only efficient hardware but how they fell behind with online. Only found out this year about the Satellaview system they had going in the 90s, that amazed me.
Why would Microsoft or Sony even bother to release a new console if it wasn't a significant improvement over the current one? What would be the benefit? I keep reading posts like this and it boggles my mind.

Alex

Well, regardless of the actual tech in games, Sony and Microsoft are both dying for more room to work with in expanding their OSs and multitasking, ESPECIALLY Sony, I'd imagine.

Cheerilee

IIRC, the GameCube lost "single digit" money (aka: less than $10 per-console) when it launched all of the $200, $150, and $100 price points. So WiiU losing "single digit" money fits right in with the GameCube.

Of course, Iwata hates price drops (he fought against the GameCube's price drops, and is proud about Wii hardly receiving any), so WiiU won't keep up the same level of aggressive pricing. But for now the money-losing part is similarly aggressive.

FyreWulff

IIRC, the GameCube lost "single digit" money (aka: less than $10 per-console) when it launched all of the $200, $150, and $100 price points. So WiiU losing "single digit" money fits right in with the GameCube.

Of course, Iwata hates price drops (he fought against the GameCube's price drops, and is proud about Wii hardly receiving any), so WiiU won't keep up the same level of aggressive pricing. But for now the money-losing part is similarly aggressive.

Probably because it's seen as "following the leader", and also makes you less money.

Which is why I think they picked the price that they did.

300$ - price parity with the non-poop versions of the 360 and PS3, even though it's more capable, they expect a lot of 360/PS3 ports. Especially since they've started developers off with twice the RAM. They'll say something about "not competing against them", but we all know what's up. Either way, even if the Wii U was literally the same tech as the PS3 or 360, they'd be stupid to price it less than the 360 or PS3.

Now the PS4 and 720 will come out later on, at 400$ or 500$. They ain't hitting 300$ and being a super monster in power. Now Nintendo will be in the position of having an 'automatic' price cut compared to the new hardware. They're the cheapest console without having to move their price. It won't matter if the PS3 or 360 drop price at this point, as Nintendo will start riding the 'more capable' line.

Their hope is basically let MS and Sony duke it out with standoffs on price cuts, they won't be getting near the Wii U's price point any time soon, so they get their price stability they want while still looking like a good option. Even if it's near impossible to downport a 720 title, you're still going to see XBLA720 ports to Wii U with Nintendo's emphasis on digital as smaller devs won't have the money or time to make AAAATOTHEMAX games graphically.

v1oz

Prior to the release of the GameCube, it was mocked by some for its specs. having less main ram than the ps2 and the official "6 to 12 million polygons a second" ( vs 66 and 80 odd million for Xbox and playstation 2). Gamecube ports from playstation 2 were usually shitty and inferior.

Yet the games built specifically for it shined bright. Rogue leader , fzero gx , re4 revealed a very capable console.
Apart from games which required lots of buttons or had online features. GameCube games were almost always superior to PS2 versions. Try playing the PS2 version of metal arms or sonic heroes. Even stuff like fight night, nba street and burnout were better on the GameCube. IGN used to have a series of head to head articles and poorer GameCube ports were the exception rather than norm.

Why would Microsoft or Sony even bother to release a new console if it wasn't a significant improvement over the current one? What would be the benefit? I keep reading posts like this and it boggles my mind.
That is too vague to answer. The environment is always changing. Sony and MS are likely to keep trying to anticipate inertia of the industry. For the last decade it was bring things online and Toy Story graphics.
It is still a big thing but it is like a big ship having to go through a canal with a series of locks.

Nintendo is going about it bit differently.

The Lamp

Too late, I have 5 already!

CURSE YOU NINTENDO!!

Gross.

No, but actually, I don't think I've ever bought more than 1-2 launch titles before. Launch titles just usually suck, minus the occasional killer app like Twilight Princess or something.

lol.

Give me one reason why people would buy a PS3 or 360 successor that didn't have any substantial graphic improvement. Name one gimmick they could put in such a console that would make it a worthwhile purchase.

I dunno.

But, if you'd told people in 2004 that Nintendo would nearly quadruple the Gamecube's sales by adding a motion remote to the basic Gamecube set-up with a little more ram and faster clocks, you'd probably have been laughed out of the internet. I'm sure a creative engineer could come up with something.

I'm not sure if this has been asked before but, how can this console be sold at a loss? :/

"Weaker" parts do not necessarily cost that much less to produce.

I'm not sure if this has been asked before but, how can this console be sold at a loss? :/

R&D is expensive. So even if say the console costs $325 to make and they make $25 dollars on each console (made up numbers) they would still have to make back the money they spent on developing the console.

Madn

My father bought a PS3 in 2009 for the BluRay player and has never bought a game for it.

Some people do that kind of stuff.

But the ps3 made sense. It was actually cheaper than a BluRay player. What would you buy the WiiU for? Bitching on Miiverse about not having any game to play?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I would have preferred you lose a bit more for better RAM. Then I'll buy 2 or 3 games to make you profitable.

Are you an investor? If not, they probably don't care about your opinion, sadly.

Why would Reggie say this? Now the shareholders are going to see shipped figures and expect profits? I await the share price up 2% story...

Though that said given how more games are made than hardware and the figures Nintendo reports are shipped, IIRC for 3DS 4 games were shipped for every 1 hardware (in total sum of all games; not like 4 copies of Nintendogs...) that means doesn't this mean it is already profitable as really the game is in the retailers hands rather than the consumer (contrary to GAF belief retailer buys game, Nintendo has the money then, Nintendo don't accept retailer returns as traditionally, they don't need it as their stuff sells well enough).

But but but, WiiU has no games!
Its all about the long term view (Iwata, feel free to feed that line to the shareholders when they want your blood for still being in the red despite giving up Saturdays and Sundays).

DigitalOp

Banned
So that's why Nintendoland wasn't bundled!!!

Deluxe owners probably payed 50$ extra for the game in actuallity rather than whatever else was offered, sounds like great way to make some secret money back

Alej

Banned
Fun games?

All games are fun. If not, they're something other than games.
After that, it's just a matter of taste.

I'm playing Skyrim because it's fun, i'm playing Civilization V because it's fun. I sell shit cookies because it's fun.

You know, when Neo in Matrix responds to the Machine-God's "and if you fail?" with "I won't", it's because it's fun.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
All games are fun. If not, they're something other than games.
After that, it's just a matter of taste.

I'm playing Skyrim because it's fun, i'm playing Civilization V because it's fun. I sell shit cookies because it's fun.

You know, when Neo in Matrix responds to the Machine-God's "and if you fail?" with "I won't", it's because it's fun.

This is wrong on multiple levels, even your definition of the word "game."

ASIS

lol.

Give me one reason why people would buy a PS3 or 360 successor that didn't have any substantial graphic improvement. Name one gimmick they could put in such a console that would make it a worthwhile purchase.

Wow... just wow. If it is not about graphics, its a straight up gimmick? Dude, really now?

R&D is expensive. So even if say the console costs $325 to make and they make $25 dollars on each console (made up numbers) they would still have to make back the money they spent on developing the console.

Sigh. Again, R&D is a sunk cost. Has nothing to do with selling at a loss. Google it.

Alej

Banned
This is wrong on multiple levels, even your definition of the word "game."

Maybe, they're meant to be fun?
I dunno, i think that the essence of a game is to be fun. And fun can be found in sadness, drama, horror, circus (clown) and even work. Fun is about enjoying.
And, I want to know more about the multiple levels you said.

http://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/fun (in french)
Fun for me is "divertissement" (entertainment), games are entertainment.
Game is about playing, it's about entertainment. You know, art isn't a form of elitism, it's just cultural entertainment.
Games are entertainment and a form of art. Like cinema is entertainment, painting is entertainment, and all should be about entertainment.

Oh guys, please, don't want to explain the difference between Chicago's and Frankfurt's schools point-of-view, but clearly, i'm one of the guys that see entertainment as art, and art as entertainment. And for me, games are about playing, playing is about entertainment and should be FUN.

Ok?

And by the way:
Etymology of the word "game" by wiktionary
From Middle English game, gamen, gammen, from Old English gamen (“sport, joy, mirth, pastime, game, amusement, pleasure”), from Proto-Germanic *gamanan (“amusement, pleasure, game", literally "participation, communion, people together”), from *ga- (collective prefix) + *mann- (“man”), equivalent to ge- +‎ man; or alternatively from *ga- + a root from Proto-Indo-European *men- (“to think, have in mind”), equivalent to ge- +‎ mind. Cognate with Middle High German gamen (“joy, amusement, fun, pleasure”), Swedish gamman (“mirth, rejoicing, merriment”), Icelandic gaman (“fun”). Related to gammon, gamble.

Top Bottom