• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: Wii U becomes profitable with just 1 game purchase

Seik

Banned
Since almost every WiiU owner will buy NSMBU (First party, so the money will go directly in their pockets), plus at least one other game in most cases, shit will get profitable quickly.

bananas

Banned
It must be almost even margins if that's the case. And if it's only the $300 model, then there's probably going to buy a game since NintendoLand's not included.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Hear that guys? So make sure not to buy any games after you get your Wii-U.

Seance

Banned
I still find it hilarious that Nintendo are managing to make a loss on this thing, no matter how small.

Seik

Banned
Just don't buy any digital ones because if your console goes so will those games.

Lol, calm down, I'm sure they'll work something out. People will whine about it and they'll fix it. It wouldn't be logic to leave things like that anyway.

ASIS

I still find it hilarious that Nintendo are managing to make a loss on this thing, no matter how small.

I think it makes sense actually, Gamepad + the onilne infrastructure can cost a lot. Its really not about the specs and even then, the system is still priced cheaper than any other HD console at launch.

wow, where is all the hate coming from? >.>
i think the first poster is just jocking around
No it's just that Reggie has like this awesome face : /

So like I have been wondering what it's like to punch him ever since I saw him.

I know this is weird but seriously that face is awesome

Spazznid

Good on them.

Gotta get dat munnie so's we can Haz our Zelda. Show Nawty Dawg/Vigil Games how to make Adventure games.

Big budget Killzone/Halo/Gears-stomping Metroid game with Graffix so shiney, they'll melt your Assault Rifle, along with your hand. No worries, you won't be needing that.

And Super Smash Brothers Universe!!!! Playstation All-what?

Also, munnies are more fun to bathe in than waters.

It is known.

Ashes

Banned
Q: This will be the first Nintendo game machine that the company's going to be selling at a loss at launch. How does that change the business model for Nintendo?

A: The business model doesn't change dramatically, in that as soon as we get the consumer to buy one piece of software, then that entire transaction becomes profit positive.

Profit Positive.

As oppose to profit negative?

thuway

The one great thing about the Wii U is, the chipset they are using for the streaming tech will become cheaper over time. That right now is the troubling piece.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
A console sold at a loss is profitable eventually. An underpowered console is underpowered forever.

Must... ignore... logical leap!

[EDIT] and the false conclusion!!

For exactly 2 cents per console you could have given people a cpu that would make the Wii-U the top console for at least one year.

Now, you could have killed your own console with being fucking cheap-asses.

Greed will kill you.

EDarkness

Well, at the end of the day, I ended up purchasing 5 Wii U games with a few more coming in a couple of months. Can't say I didn't do my part. :)

Just don't buy any digital ones because if your console goes so will those games.

The Wii wasn't that way, so why would the Wii U be? I'm actually on my third Wii, and I've never lost any of my Wiiware or VC games. Lost my saves once, that sucked.

Log4Girlz

Well thank goodness they went for the bargain basement components, to think you need to purchase an entire new game for Nintendo to see a profit.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
For exactly 2 cents per console you could have given people a cpu that would make the Wii-U the top console for at least one year.

Now, you could have killed your own console with being fucking cheap-asses.

Greed will kill you.

get owned. I'll have fun regardless. I have my PC for everything else anyway.

thuway

Well thank goodness they went for the bargain basement components, to think you need to purchase an entire new game for Nintendo to see a profit.

I really would have seen Nintendo launch at $399 and had a console with more mature tech. Alas, the current console should give us an HD Zelda :).

Nintendo is a game company. Sony is an electronics company. Microsoft is an OS and office product company.

See the difference? I hope so. Then I shouldn't have to explain why profits of Nintendo's game system is kind of important to them.

A console sold at a loss is profitable eventually. An underpowered console is underpowered forever.

I don't think the PS3 is profitable yet, that's why they keep revamping it, and even made it *more* expensive when they released the recent revamp. And sometimes underpowered consoles aren't underpowered forever - PSP's CPU was underclocked, a firmware upgrade allowed games to clock it to full speed. Considering the Wii U uses only 40 watts in the current most complex games, while its power supply can give it 75 watts, there's probably a good amount of underclocking being done right now.

redcrayon

as soon as we get the consumer to buy one piece of software, then that entire transaction becomes profit positive.

That is the worst bit of management-speak I've heard in ages. Why mangle language, what has it ever done to you Reggie?

Log4Girlz

Nintendo is a game company. Sony is an electronics company. Microsoft is an OS and office product company.

See the difference? I hope so. Then I shouldn't have to explain why profits of Nintendo's game system is kind of important to them.

I for one am so glad that the Wii U experience is hampered so that they can turn a profit so quickly. As opposed to perhaps having to sell 2 or 3 games so that we get decent hardware. Also, let us not forget this is at launch. Within a short time the system itself will be profitable or at least break-even per unit.

I really would have seen Nintendo launch at $399 and had a console with more mature tech. Alas, the current console should give us an HD Zelda :).
At this point I'm wondering if it'd of been worth just scrapping the tablet and focusing on just making a bigger generational-leap 'Super' Wii. Emphasis on wondering since I don't own the system yet so I have no clue how the tablet feels and in a year's time I'll probably look back on this post and laugh at myself for suggesting Nintendo cut the system's main selling point.

Doesn't change my opinion that 1st party games and Wii-U exclusive 3rd party games like Rayman and ZombiU are going to be great, but stupid as hell after admitting the Wii suffered a huge 3rd party drought Nintendo let the same thing happen again.

Top Bottom