• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rejoice! King's Bounty: Armored Princess announced (PR + Screens)

Minsc

Gold Member
Sequel announced! :D

King's Bounty: Armored Princess in development

Major Add-On for the Multi-Award Winning Title

MOSCOW, Russia- November 11, 2008 - Leading Eastern and Central European publisher 1C Company and Katauri Interactive today announced development of King's Bounty: Armored Princess. This will be an add-on to the critically acclaimed King's Bounty: The Legend. Players will take on the role of Princess Amelie who travels around the world of Teana and searches for the renowned knight, and her tutor, Bill Gilbert.

This new world of King's Bounty: Armored Princess is full of mysteries and dangers. The new character, the Princess, will encounter horrible creatures, huge monstrous bosses and a new race, the bloodthirsty Pangolins. As in the multi-award winning game on which this expansion is based, the player has many options to resist these new enemies. Various new skills and characteristics of Amelie as well as her chance to fly will help her overcome the hordes attacking the kingdom. The Princess is also accompanied by a tamed dragon, at the very beginning small and amusing, but its abilities develop steadily until it becomes an incredible ally. He will do his best to protect the Princess during the battles, starting with easy blows and treasure hunting and finishing with battle rage and volcano summoning.

The Add-on will contain the following new features:
New fascinating story-line and a whole new continent to explore
- A new female character to play - Princess Amelie
- Medals giving bonuses can be received for special achievements
- Tamed dragon which becomes more powerful as the player does
- New Pangolin race
- Possibility to turn your horse into a Pegasus which can fly
- Fast travel between opened continents
- Hire companions
- Resurrection of the classic system of contracts and headhunting
- Improved role playing system including more abilities and the chance to achieve level 50 and higher
- Brand new spells and new Adventure Magic spell for game map
- New unique bosses: Borer Robot, Gremlin, Archdemon Baal and many others
- New engine supporting the latest graphic effects
- Beautiful, hand drawn environments

King's Bounty: The Legend (the main title this expansion pack works with) is an adventure game with tactical turn-based battles and RPG elements unfolding in a rich fantasy world. The character and their army of companions travel across a huge continent, visiting dozens of different locations all connected to each other. Communicating with NPCs, collecting resources and recruiting an army the player will control their character in real-time mode, while all battles take place in classic turn-based mode with a strong emphasis on tactical elements. Please note a copy of the full game is required to enjoy King's Bounty: Armored Princess.

3570_screen_081030_002.jpg

3572_screen_081030_004.jpg

3580_screen_081104_004.jpg

3583_screen_081104_011.jpg

3590_screen_081104_037.jpg

Hope it's as awesome as the original. More screens here.

jay

I thought the sequel to King's Bounty was Heroes of Might and Magic. Does Van Caneghem have anything to do with these new KB games or is it just perpetual milking of the 18 year old idea?

Minsc

Gold Member
Definitely don't overlook or pass this game, a gem is truly what it is. Here's a link to the thread on the original, which answers the above question:

AdrianWerner said:
bcn-ron said:
So what's the story behind the name?
King's Bounty was the direct precursor to the HoMM series, in 1990 or something. And now a spiritual successor again bears the name, or so it seems. Was Jon Van Caneghem somehow involved in this, did rights have to be obtained, and just generally wtf is going on here?

Also, it looks super-nice.
THe game started as Battle Lord, a "spiritual successor to KB" and later on 1C bought King's Bounty IP. That's the story

King's Bounty is HoMM like in the combat and stack-like recruiting, though it is important to note that the economic and city management of that game aren't in KB and instead the game opts for fully hashed out RPG element around the hero.

Fantastic game, easily one of the best, if not the best, game released last year on the PC.

traveler

Not Wario
How did I totally overlook the original? I loved HoMM back in the day- is there any place I can purchase King's Bounty DD wise?

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Fragamemnon said:
King's Bounty is HoMM like in the combat and stack-like recruiting, though it is important to note that the economic and city management of that game aren't in KB and instead the game opts for fully hashed out RPG element around the hero.

Fantastic game, easily one of the best, if not the best, game released last year on the PC.
And after trying HoMM5, I'd really want AP to be released soon...
traveler said:
How did I totally overlook the original? I loved HoMM back in the day- is there any place I can purchase King's Bounty DD wise?
The forum tells me GamersGate has (had?) it for $20

traveler said:

I used GamersGate.com

The game (Kings Bounty: The Legend) is fantastic. Faithful adaptation of the 1990 classic. Just an awesome, awesome experience.

traveler said:

Gamersgate has it up, I bought my copy there.

Might be able to find a physical copy at Gamestop for $30 too.

And after trying HoMM5, I'd really want AP to be released soon...

Did you play Tribes of the East? Very strong game, it's standalone and people ported the original and first expansion campaigns over and put them up for download. I really enjoyed it, and the map community always has something new and awesome to play when I want to spend a couple of nights HoMM'ing it up.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Fragamemnon said:
Did you play Tribes of the East?
Nope, got HoMM5 on steam a while ago but only got to launch it a week ago or so (and I was pretty disappointed)

Flyguy

Maybe this is a good place to ask. I too have been looking for a HoMM clone. My PC won't run King's Bounty, unfortunately. Does anyone know where to get Age of Wonders 2 DD? Also, I've been eyeing Disciples II on GOG. How is it?

hey HOMMV guy, you're crazy. give the game more time. it's really superb. vanilla and the two expansions.

not as superb as kb the legend of course. katauri have set the bar high for whatever nival does next. ino-co might still be in the game, will see how elven legacy and majesty2 turns out in a month or two. STAY TUNED

Flyguy said:
Maybe this is a good place to ask. I too have been looking for a HoMM clone. My PC won't run King's Bounty, unfortunately. Does anyone know where to get Age of Wonders 2 DD? Also, I've been eyeing Disciples II on GOG. How is it?
disciples 2 is great. GREAT.

Flyguy said:
Does anyone know where to get Age of Wonders 2 DD?

Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic is what you want, not really AoW2, which is a weaker game. I haven't seen it for DD anywhere, but it is on Gametap if that's an option for you.

Also, I've been eyeing Disciples II on GOG. How is it?

I've played a LOT of Disciples 2 over the years, but I've had my fill and think of it as a somewhat guilty pleasure, given that the game has very weak strategic elements and has maybe the worst case of the "uberstack problem" of any game in the genre. Still it manages to keep you up well past your bedtime without a problem.

I'd still recommend it to fans of the genre, but at this point not before Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic, HoMMV: TotE, and the woefully unappreciated Warlords 4. Oh, and Fantasy Wars, which is an updated game in the style of Fantasy General, and the General games are all awesome.

Flyguy

Fragamemnon said:
Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic is what you want, not really AoW2, which is a weaker game. I haven't seen it for DD anywhere, but it is on Gametap if that's an option for you.

I thought Shadow Magic was the expansion pack. Is it standalone? I've never played any of the games but I've heard good things about the series, so I'd take any version at this point. Gametap isn't really my thing, unfortunately.

Fragamemnon said:
I've played a LOT of Disciples 2 over the years, but I've had my fill and think of it as a somewhat guilty pleasure, given that the game has very weak strategic elements and has maybe the worst case of the "uberstack problem" of any game in the genre. Still it manages to keep you up well past your bedtime without a problem.

I'd still recommend it to fans of the genre, but at this point not before Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic, HoMMV: TotE, and the woefully unappreciated Warlords 4. Oh, and Fantasy Wars, which is an updated game in the style of Fantasy General, and the General games are all awesome.
I didn't like HoMMIV in comparison to 2 or 3, and I've heard really bad things about 5 so I've steered clear of it, but Tribes of the East seems to be getting a lot of love in this thread so maybe I'll check that out. Is it standalone?

Shadow Magic is indeed standalone, a sort of half-sequel to Age of Wonders 2.

HoMMV: Tribes of the East is also totally standalone. As a bonus, some people ported over the campaigns from the original HoMMV release and Hammers of Fate and put them up for download for free. So at this point you really don't need to buy anything else.

Also, HoMMV is pretty cheap. I can't imagine it would cost you more than like $10 shipped on eBay for a sealed copy. Unlike AOM:SM , which is going to cost you tons just for a used version.

edit: Wait, don't confuse HOMM4 for HOMM5:TotE. One is the somewhat-unfairly-labeled black sheep of the series (4) and the other one is damn good and with the latest version in TotE a good permanent replacement for HoMM3 on my hard drive.

Flyguy

I'm not confusing HoMM4 for HoMM5, I just meant that I didn't particularly care for 4 so I hadn't played 5 at all.

Minsc

Gold Member
Flyguy said:
I thought Shadow Magic was the expansion pack. Is it standalone? I've never played any of the games but I've heard good things about the series, so I'd take any version at this point. Gametap isn't really my thing, unfortunately.

I didn't like HoMMIV in comparison to 2 or 3, and I've heard really bad things about 5 so I've steered clear of it, but Tribes of the East seems to be getting a lot of love in this thread so maybe I'll check that out. Is it standalone?

HoMM V has really grown on me, and when I revisit II & III I think I may end up feeling V is as good or slightly better.

TotE adds like 100 units to the game, all the towns normally have 7 tiers of creatures, and each has an upgrade. TotE adds a 2nd upgrade to each tier, and a whole new town.

The game didn't grab me that much the first time I played it (vanilla HoMM V), but I've revisited it about 4-5 months ago, and have been playing nothing else really since. Just made it to the end of the first campaign of TotE and overall it has been incredibly enjoyable.

Joseph Merrick said:
the russian strategy soap continues!

I can't get enough of Russia's games, keep them coming. Bulgaria and Czech Republic and all others please feed me games because American companies mostly make console poopie nowadays.

Minsc

Gold Member
Fragamemnon said:
I can't get enough of Russia's games, keep them coming. Bulgaria and Czech Republic and all others please feed me games because American companies mostly make console poopie nowadays.

What country does Disciples come from these days? It's german or russian too right? Are there any great strategy games coming out of US companies (well besides Starcraft 2)?

Fragamemnon said:

It would seem that GoG will soon be getting a random, to my untrained eye, Warlords game...what can you tell me about them in general in terms of, well, all these other games?

Need to get King's Bounty, this expansion, and probably most of the games mentioned in this thread(PC nowhere near strong enough though for all but at least some of the older stuff). Kinda want to hold out hope for GoG releases for any non-upcoming or ultra-recent ones though since GoG is so damn awesome.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Minsc said:
What country does Disciples come from these days? It's german or russian too right? Are there any great strategy games coming out of US companies (well besides Starcraft 2)?

Stardock has Demigod coming out

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Minsc said:

Disciples 3 is part of the insidious all-out assault the Russians have launched on our precious capitalist computers.

This thread has reminded me that I really need to get back to King's Bounty and finish it before this expansion comes out.

Nif

Nice looking bosses, there. And looks like the husband gets to carry the babies this time. :lol

Yaweee

Holy crap, that looks great.

-Flight possible
-More bosses
-Many new units and spells
-A single dragon replaces the four Chest of Rage creatures
-New transportation

Still now word on a possible release date?

I'm a bit concerned about flying. Being able to move around freely like that allows you go around looting everything without risk like in the 1989 original.

Minsc

Gold Member
I wouldn't mind another English demo like the original.

Anyone know if this is going to be DD only? I don't see it for pre-order on Amazon yet, and I remember I had the original pre-ordered before the demo was even released the first time around.

MoxManiac

RE: HoMM4 hate

IIRC the mod community fixed up HoMM4 quite a bit, and supposedly the map editor for it is extremely powerful.

Wallach

Excellent... do want. Now.

Not sure how I feel about the chest being replaced, I really liked that mechanic. I have confidence in these guys, though. Definitely one of the best games I've played in quite some time (and was a steal for $10 through GG!).

Doytch

Any word on how long it'll be? I'm playing King's Bounty now, and it's really friggin long. Right now I'm half-way through the Elven stuff, and ran around the death world place a bit.

The original was alright. It needed an extra layer of depth, though. Seemed like it would have made for a great handheld game.

Bossman

I just played the demo and I really like the new baby dragon. He seems to have some really powerful abilities. There are also tons of new units like assassins who wield two daggers.

ashism

Playing some King's Bounty after seeing some gaf reccomendations.
Not to necrorevive a thread, but I didn't see a more recent one pertaining to the game itself not a sale.

Anyways, I am playing as a mage currently. How do you get back mana? Mana potions are my only option? Or does it come back over time?

ashism said:
Playing some King's Bounty after seeing some gaf reccomendations.
Not to necrorevive a thread, but I didn't see a more recent one pertaining to the game itself not a sale.

Anyways, I am playing as a mage currently. How do you get back mana? Mana potions are my only option? Or does it come back over time?

comes back over time - there is a skill in the magic tree that speeds this up. also a skill that gives you back points during combat. the former is a decent skill, and the latter is pretty much must-have.

Yaweee

Behold! Now available for preorder!
November 20th, 2009
$40
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-KBAP/kings-bounty-armored-princess
As far as I can tell, it's a stand-alone-expansion/sequel; the original is not necessary. It's about 75% of the original's length, 30+ hours.

I might do an official thread for it.

King's Bounty: Armored Princess is a sequel to the critically acclaimed King’s Bounty: The Legend. Players will take on the role of Princess Amelie who travels around the world of Teana and searches for the renowned knight, and her mentor, Bill Gilbert. This new world of King’s Bounty: Armored Princess is full of mysteries and dangers. The new character, the Princess, will encounter horrible creatures, huge monstrous bosses and a new race, the bloodthirsty Lizards. As in the multi-award winning game on which this sequel is based, the player has many options to resist these new enemies. Various new skills and characteristics of Amelie as well as her chance to fly will help her overcome the hordes attacking the kingdom. The Princess is also accompanied by a Domestic Dragon, at the very beginning small and amusing, but its abilities develop steadily until it becomes an incredible ally. He will do his best to protect the Princess during the battles, starting with easy blows and treasure hunting and finishing with battle rage and volcano summoning.
Key Features:

* New fascinating story-line and a whole new continent to explore
* A new female character to play – Princess Amelie
* Medals giving bonuses can be received for special achievements
* Domestic Dragon which becomes more powerful as the player does
* New Lizard race
* Possibility to turn your horse into a Pegasus which can fly
* Fast travel between opened continents
* Hire companions
* Resurrection of the classic system of contracts and headhunting
* Improved role playing system including more abilities and the chance to achieve level 50 and higher
* Brand new spells and new Adventure Magic spell for game map
* New unique bosses: Driller, Gremlion, Archdemon Baal and many others
* New engine supporting the latest graphic effects
* Beautiful, hand drawn environments

Yaweee said:
As far as I can tell, it's a stand-alone-expansion/sequel
yeah, this is correct.

have had my pre-order ready to rock for a few days already :O

for steam morons; the game will likely appear on steam the day of release. that's what happened with men of war red tide at least. seems so. 20th, be there.

Top Bottom