• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Relic staffing Dawn of War community team back up; DoW3 coming soon?

FrankCaron

All things on the Dawn of War front have been pretty quiet as of late, but with the second expansion for COH2 out and E3 on the way in the coming months, the following update just got posted on Steam:

Relic said:
Hello, fans! I wanted to take a quick moment to address our Dawn of War community and provide an update for you all!

First off, I'm very happy to announce that a minor patch that will be going out today. This update addresses a few technical issues, corrects some statistical anomalies and adds minor button functionality to our automatch completed game page.

In addition to this update, we also wanted to let everyone know that we will be building out our community team this year. We've shrunk in size here at Relic - from three people to one - and recognize that we need more assistance to better serve our Dawn of War community! We ask our fans for patience during this time, and are looking forward to introducing you to new staff as they come on!

We look forward to a bright year for both the Dawn of War 1 and Dawn of War 2 communities!

sDKH7g6.jpg

Timing feels right. Am I being too optimistic?

Seems like Sega's going heavy on Warhammer, if I had to guess. Creative Assembly doing Total Warhammer (this one confirmed following the slip-up last week) and finally letting Relic return to Warhammer 40k with Dawn of War 3?

Orayn

Timing feels right. Am I being too optimistic?

Not at all, it seems like Sega and Games Workshop are both happy to get more aggressive with the Warhammer brand, so it makes sense that Dawn of War III would be Relic's next big project. IIRC actually intended to start working on it shortly after the last DoW II expansion, it got shelved at some point when their focus shifted to CoH2.

Fantastic news!

I hope DoW3 has another cool campaign like DoW2 and Chaos Rising. They were both fantastic, almost Blizzard-quality in their presentation and scope.

DCDW

It'll be interesting to see if SEGA allows Relic to properly polish their game. The last Total War game is a total clusterfuck of horrible glitches and bugs that made you wonder how they could have possibly made it past any halfway competent QA testing.

Coolluck

I picked up Dawn of War 2 in the recent Humble sale. It's fun but I think I'm too early to say anything about the game. It looks to have potential but so far is just a light Warcraft III for me. Lucky for them Warcraft III is my heroin.

Cool. I was not a fan of DoW2 at all but maybe I'll like this one. I'm mainly just afraid that they've learned all the wrong lessons from COH2, namely that DLC is great and everything should be DLC, and that all your fans will still buy the game even if you don't ship it with basic features like game lobbies, server browsing and fucking competitive ladders (CoH2 ladders are maintained by fan site).

FrankCaron

Cool. I was not a fan of DoW2 at all but maybe I'll like this one. I'm mainly just afraid that they've learned all the wrong lessons from COH2, namely that DLC is great and everything should be DLC, and that all your fans will still buy the game even if you don't ship it with basic features like game lobbies, server browsing and fucking competitive ladders (CoH2 ladders are maintained by fan site).
Keep in mind they did even more DLC for DoW2: Retribution than they did for CoH. If anything, they seem to have toned things down.

That said, if the past murmurs of full army customization are true, I suspect a shit ton of vanity options (and micro transactions) for online multiplayer.

Lime

I liked dow2 but the stories in all 3 games were bullshit. The final demon boss was straight out of WoW.

Phinor

I really enjoyed the direction they went with DoW 2 but I wouldn't mind going back to base building either. Whatever route they choose (assuming DoW 3 is actually a thing), keep the quality up and I'll keep buying.

I should really dedicated some time to play Dawn of War (2) again.

Rakthar

I preferred the first DOW to DOW2 in terms of multiplayer, mechanics, base building, listening posts, and overall gameplay. I found the constant retreating and capturing points in DOW2 to be not my thing, though I understand many people like that style of gameplay.

I liked what they did with the DOW2 campaign with the RPG elements and the fact that you could play it co-op. And I really hope if DOW3 happens that they flesh out last stand - more maps, randomized waves, more gear, more heroes.

The only thing that bugs me is what happened with THQ and the subsequent release of Company of Heroes 2. Relic had some pretty big layoffs and went through a lot of staff turnover as THQ was circling the drain, and COH2 was the first release after that change. I found it to be underwhelming and uninspired, and I really hope that this was because of all the turmoil and isn't representative of how DOW3 might end up.

Hopefully Sega staffs the studio properly and invests appropriate resources, and we get a decent game in the end.

Ont

Three things that I want:

1) Persistent armies in multiplayer.

2) Difficult choices when creating said persistent armies.

3) My Space Marine army should be different from my friend's Space Marine army.

As great game as Dawn of War was, I'm not sure if Starcraft clone with WH40K theme is what I want now. It would be cool to have highly customisable armies, which carry on from one multiplayer match to another.

I suppose it would be similar to Mortal Kombat X, in which you can have two different Scorpions with different play styles in a single match. Maybe in DoW 3 your choice of hero or faction could determine what sort of army you have. Persistent armies to which players could get attached to would greatly enhance the longevity of the multiplayer.

Would you guys want a new DoW in the style of 2 or 1? I liked 2 but I also miss the huge battles and campaigns of 1 and it's expansions.

Orayn

Would you guys want a new DoW in the style of 2 or 1? I liked 2 but I also miss the huge battles and campaigns of 1 and it's expansions.

I'm a bit of a traditionalist for the few RTS games I do play, so I'd really prefer something closer to 1. The basebuilding side of the game was fine and DoW 2 pared it back too much for my liking.

Keasar

Have the fragile units of DoW2 but the scale of DoW1. A larger Company of Heroes in the 40th millennium.

That would satisfy me.

leng jai

Dawn of War 1 by far. Controlling an army of Dreadnoughts, Predator Tanks and Terminators is such a no brainer for me.

I've only played Dawn of War 1, is 2 worth it? I've looked into it a little, and I know that the style of game is very different, but is it a good game in its own right.

I would still hope that this third game is like 1 on a bigger scale.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
2 because I liked the idea of few squads of badasses with no base for backup wading into enemy territory and taking names. Plus there are not any games I feel are like DoW 2. Also coop.

Almighty

While I personally preferred the 2nd one to the first I will be happy either way. Good(hopefully) RTS titles are few and far between. I really hope this gets announced this year.

Moonkid

I wonder where they'd go with a third Dawn of War. Whether they go back to its roots or continue to change up the game, I'd give it a try. Once Dawn of War 3 is out, it'll only be a matter of time before Space Marine 2. Right?

oxacillin

Banned
I'm in the minority, but Dawn of War 2 had better multiplayer than DoW1. I played a ton of it and played a decent amount of Elite mod, and I'd rather have meaningful skirmishes, which is what the lack of base building provided. Having to get your resources on the field meant you were forced to confront your opponent from the beginning and had to feel out how they were going to build their army. Yeah there was grabbing points in DoW1 also, but having power out on the field meant you had to be really mindful of your opponent genbashing or else you would fall behind early where power was important. While decapping requisition, especially in the late game, was another good way of economic harass.

The DoW games before 2 were some of my favourite games to date. I enjoyed 2 also, but I'd greatly prefer a shift back to proper base building

Iscariot

I'd imagine it's the least popular mode. But I had a lot of fun in DoW2 playing the campaign co-op. Hopefully it's coming.

Interesting that this news comes to pass when I am replaying Dark Crusade. 'Love that game!

I only dabbled in the DOW2 demo, and I didn't like it much. If there is a Dawn of War 3, I'd like a return to the Dawn of War 1 style RTS gameplay.

I'll keep this news on my radar.

Top Bottom