• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Relic working on an existing Japanese Sega PC MMO (Phantasy Star Online 2?)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I can't think of any others they'd actually be localizing.

Relic said:
Server Engineer
Programming/Engineering | Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada | 12/23/2013

Relic Entertainment, a wholly owned studio of SEGA, is the award winning RTS developer of Homeworld, Dawn of War and Company of Heroes, among other games. Relic was founded on the premise that it is entirely possible to ship first class, genre altering, AAA titles, and have a life. Relic is based out of beautiful Vancouver, Canada, a city that has breath-taking mountain and ocean views, along with snowboarding and skiing, golfing year-round and amazing hiking trails. If you love games, enjoy working collaboratively with smart, creative people, and have diverse personal interests outside of work – you’ll enjoy our culture.

What you will be doing

Ramp up and perform due diligence on an existing live MMO project in development in Japan, embedded with the live team
Gain full understanding of the game and code architecture, content authoring pipelines, build and deployment process, engineering process, and current code status
Establish working relationships with key members of Japanese development team
Participate in and contribute to minor/peripheral engineering tasks on the project, as well as in daily project planning, code reviews, release process, etc.
Create/translate documentation of existing code modules, tools, processes and work flows
Prepare regular status and activity reports to Producer
Prepare a full written project evaluation

What you should have

5+ years’ engineering experience from PC client/server based MMO development
Ability to spend extended (3+ months) periods of time on-site in Tokyo
Ideally fluent in Japanese and English languages

Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Source: http://hire.jobvite.com/CompanyJobs...t&cs=9myaVfwJ&page=Job Description&j=oqafYfwx

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Anyone able to play this on PC or Vita (with a separate memory card) should be doing so already. If you have one vita card and don't want to switch constantly I understand, but after playing PSO2 that's all my Vita is used for.

Great, fun game and I hope it gets localized so more people will play it.

Alric

Wary to let excitement levels get too high. Relic does make some great games though so hopefully it's a good game at least they bring over.

Manbig

Be still my beating heart! If they manage to do this and put the Atlus localization team on Yakuza 5, I just might wet my pants!

Mandoric

Banned
It's more likely to be PSO2 than Rusty Hearts or Chaos Online (which they just publish in Japan), or their fantasy baseball game.

However, it's not necessarily a localization position - they could just be fishing internationally to beef up the server software team. Or even fishing internationally to get an English-speaking server software lead to liaison with AsiaSoft.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's more likely to be PSO2 than Rusty Hearts or Chaos Online (which they just publish in Japan), or their fantasy baseball game.

However, it's not necessarily a localization position - they could just be fishing internationally to beef up the server software team.
Rusty Hearts has already been officially localized for the West IIRC.

Also that's fair, but it strikes me as really odd if they're not bringing it over since this person is working in the North America for 9/12 months.

VariantX

God I really hope so. I wanna buy costumes and stuff for my character, but not through their stupid lottery system.

CzarTim

9bqvuqiecsmz.gif

Mrbob

Sega just launched Company of Heroes 2 not too long ago so I imagine they have some spare staff.

Company of Heroes 2 was virtually done when Sega bought Relic. I hope this isn't what Sega has them tasked to do from now on. I want them to be working on their own games.

I mean this obviously has to be PSO2. At least will be done right.

androvsky

And CO is a western game to begin with, but there's nothing in the job desc that indicates they're hiring for localization.

Part of the job is translating documentation and tools into what I would guess is English.

Create/translate documentation of existing code modules, tools, processes and work flows
It sounds like they need an engineering translator for technical documents for the English-speaking developers, and the user-facing game text would be localized by someone else.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Company of Heroes 2 was virtually done when Sega bought Relic. I hope this isn't what Sega has them tasked to do from now on. I want them to be working on their own games.

I mean this obviously has to be PSO2. At least will be done right.
If this is true Relic's talent being wasted on localizing PSO2 is a travesty.
The overwhelming majority of their job postings were for RTS games post-Sega.

Elvick

Banned
Hope they reconsider the Vita version if it is indeed PSO2. That's the only version I'd play. Unless they end up doing a PS4 version.

Mandoric

Banned
Part of the job is translating documentation and tools into what I would guess is English.

It sounds like they need an engineering translator for technical documents for the English-speaking developers, and the user-facing game text would be localized by someone else.

imo, that's pretty orthogonal to an English localization, especially a full US English localization by Sega. Having a bilingual guy come in to hack on the server suite PLUS make English documentation works best for one of two purposes:

a) They need someone to interface with AsiaSoft/another licensee and implement requests.
b) A successful hire will prove that hiring US developers is worthwhile for SOJ-internal server software, and manage/become the interface for the newly-hired team.

It honestly DOESN'T make sense for their own localization: they'd need translators and GM team managers, but wouldn't really need someone to get technically involved with the servers..

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Interesting, but if PSO 2 actually comes to the West, Sega sure as hell better treat it better than they have with some of the other recent PSO games they've brought over here.

Broritos

I've been playing PSO2 since the second alpha last year at around March.

If they're finally going to release this shit, the best fucking online ARPG ever made, then not only do they better do it right but ALL the content that's currently in the JP version better be there on day 1.

It'll be much easier to grab and more importantly, keep newer players when there's already a huge amount of content available which is continuously expanding.

Shadoken

At this point if PSO2 comes out in the West with the same content that was available at Japanese launch 2 years back. Is anyone srsly gonna play it?

They should jump on PS4/PSV f2p wagon before any heavy hitters take over. This title will definitely make an impact on the Vita crowd given its current lack of games.

Daigoro

DONT PLAY WITH OUR HEARTS

SERIOUS.

i will flip my shit if its true though. i want this localized for Vita bad.

I've been playing PSO2 since the second alpha last year at around March.

If they're finally going to release this shit, the best fucking online ARPG ever made, then not only do they better do it right but ALL the content that's currently in the JP version better be there on day 1.

It'll be much easier to grab and more importantly, keep newer players when there's already a huge amount of content available which is continuously expanding.

let's not get fucking crazy now.

Shogun1337

I wouldn't buy it anyways.

SEGA proved with PSO2 that they seriously couldn't give the tiniest shit about its overseas fans. So I'll oblige them. Game is dead to me.

I certainly hope this is true.

I have many many fond memories of playing PSO Episodes 1 & 2 on the Gamecube.

The music alone drew me in to this amazing world and game that no other game has done for me since.

I spent many a night up until 5 or 6 AM playing this. The special missions such as the Nights quests and one in which you got shrunken down into miniature size were special touches.

I always wanted that Gamecube/keyboard hybrid controller. There was rarely any issue finding other players to join your party during that time around 2003. The item dupe trick really killed the economy in the game though. So many people would just drop rare weps left and right in the lobbies. I was pretty bummed when Sega shut down the Gamecube PSO servers.

IrishNinja

normally, i feel i can logically follow Sega's decisions/actions - acquiring Relic, Atlus etc seemed like great moves. the lack of info on a cash-cow like PSO 2.0 - a title which fits the direction they outlined a little while back after a bad statement, to a T - is absolutely puzzling. they seem to focus primarily on hyping one big/current project but Sonic was months ago, and even then i was genuinely surprised to not see anything back at E3.

Hell, a high profile F2P like that would've really done well at PS4/XB1 launch i thought, but still nothing.

Shogun1337

Its free. ..

Well I wouldn't bother picking it up >_> SEGA showed less fucks than even EA would have the balls to do, and yet they seem to not be getting any shit at all for it (but really that's because their IP's are a lot less... lusted after than EA's IP's)

Tizoc

Gimme Manly Space Marines, as in not visual kei pretty boys and bishis, in this ish and they'd be one step closer to a GotY contender for me.

Good idea.
Have Relic do PSO2 US so somebody else at Sega can focus on that Yakuza 5 localization.

Ah fuck. Who am I kidding? =(((((((((((((

(Yep it still hurts...I suspect it'll hurt forever)

kiryogi

Banned
PSO2 is at expansion status already, there's really no realistic way you'd be getting all that content to this point. . .

Foaloal

I tried it with the English patch a few months back, but the patch was too incomprehensive.

How is it these days? is the majority of stuff still in Japanese, to the point where you can play the game but not really understand what you're doing?

Fix the RNG and I might come back. It really tarnished the experience. I do miss running with the old GAF crew though.

I tried it with the English patch a few months back, but the patch was too incomprehensive.

How is it these days? is the majority of stuff still in Japanese, to the point where you can play the game but not really understand what you're doing?

The patch is a lot better last I checked. Nearly the entire UI has been translated.

Blueblur1

imo, that's pretty orthogonal to an English localization, especially a full US English localization by Sega. Having a bilingual guy come in to hack on the server suite PLUS make English documentation works best for one of two purposes:

a) They need someone to interface with AsiaSoft/another licensee and implement requests.
b) A successful hire will prove that hiring US developers is worthwhile for SOJ-internal server software, and manage/become the interface for the newly-hired team.

It honestly DOESN'T make sense for their own localization: they'd need translators and GM team managers, but wouldn't really need someone to get technically involved with the servers..

Man, I hope you're wrong. I really hope this is the start of having a US team localize the game.

MrDaravon

Short of a console port PSO2 is already long, long dead to me. PSO is still maybe my favorite online game ever, but they way way overshot their release timing on it in the US. Any friends I had that would have gotten on the PC version with me aren't fucking around with making JP accounts and doing english patch stuff (even though to be fair it's not that hard). Console port is the only way I'm getting anyone in my group on this game at this point.

Top Bottom