• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remake of Saint Seiya (Knight of the Zodiac) serie on NETFLIX announced!

Red Devil

now that I am watching the latam dub again, I realize that watching this without the dub errors won't be the same lol they talk so seriously even if they're saying nonsense 'Caballero de junini' lmao

also no more Jesús Barrero as Seiya :c

Yeah, it's more notable in some of the earlier episodes, like it wasn't clear why Shiryu was taking the Pegasus cloth with him until they explained he went to see Mu to repair them.

Shun's dub VA was also changed for Hades, although the japanese VA also changed during Hades.

NeonZ

The energy attacks were used on the show, just very very VERY sparsely.

They were only used in straight adaptations of the manga stories that used them. I rewatched Ranma early this year, and they're never used in any filler episodes.

Tell you what, if by some miracle it gets made, just don't buy it, but to say that the quintessential shonen about fighting won't translate into a a quality 2D fighting game is ridiculous.

There is some truth to that though. Most battles in Saint Seiya were entirely focused on special attacks. Obviously that wouldn't stop a fighting game from giving melee movesets to everyone, but those standard movesets would often need to be completely made up by the developers. Meanwhile, DB FighterZ often references the original manga even with basic punches and kicks, not just the special attacks.

Slaythe

001.jpg

Tell you what, if by some miracle it gets made, just don't buy it, but to say that the quintessential shonen about fighting won't translate into a a quality 2D fighting game is ridiculous.

You are overthinking it, it would work like the Dragon Ball Fighters game, each characters will have their basic punches combos and special attacks in a hopefully "balanced" way and with that nice cell-shaded art Arc System Works can make, that's all.

No, that's not "all". Every "basic punch and special" in DBFZ is taken directly from the manga, because Dragon Ball was basically "martial arts with super powers".

Plus who said I wouldn't buy it ? We're talking about a game that will NEVER BE MADE, so I said if we talk dream game, might as well get something that fits Saint Seiya. I'd buy any good Saint Seiya anyway, regardless if it perfectly fits it or not.

Saint Seiya had some characters fighting the same way, but they were only a handful. The fights had a much much slower pace and the majority revolved around special attack and strategy more than they ever did about melee or brawling. They don't have fleshed out melee style for most of them like the DBZ characters do.

Fighting doesn't only mean "close combat" and "2D fighter !" you know. There was a great Yuyu Hakusho game on Snes that was pretty ambitious for the time, where they had like defensive, offensive, special, utility etc... moves they could use, the battles would be like interactive cutscenes of sorts that you had full control of, with a versus mode. Something like that would be interesting.
It had melee phases (and supers for those that fought with melee heavily), even clashes of super attacks, dodges in every directions including super jumping in the air, it fits Saint Seiya a lot ! A Modern on such system would be dope.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

But even a more traditional RPG would be great IMO.
Like that.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

That game was mediocre, like someone already told you Saint Seiya deserves better than serviceable.

And as I already said, the game had decent combat. The previous game was mediocre, the last one was competent on that front. It ran smoothly, had lots of fanservice, faithful attacks, and the characters all had their own stuff to work with with the new combo system.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

The story was complete shit but the game a step up from the last one gameplay wise.
They added a lot of little details from the manga too, you'd get an iconic pose when you finish the opponent with a certain attack etc...

apvgAN.jpg

It's not perfect by any means but it was better than the usual awful Saint Seiya games, gameplay wise.

No, that's not "all". Every "basic punch and special" in DBFZ is taken directly from the manga, because Dragon Ball was basically "martial arts with super powers".

Plus who said I wouldn't buy it ? We're talking about a game that will NEVER BE MADE, so I said if we talk dream game, might as well get something that fits Saint Seiya. I'd buy any good Saint Seiya anyway, regardless if it perfectly fits it or not.

Saint Seiya had some characters fighting the same way, but they were only a handful. The fights had a much much slower pace and the majority revolved around special attack and strategy more than they ever did about melee or brawling. They don't have fleshed out melee style for most of them like the DBZ characters do.

Fighting doesn't only mean "close combat" and "2D fighter !" you know. There was a great Yuyu Hakusho game on Snes that was pretty ambitious for the time, where they had like defensive, offensive, special, utility etc... moves they could use, the battles would be like interactive cutscenes of sorts that you had full control of, with a versus mode. Something like that would be interesting.
It had melee phases (and supers for those that fought with melee heavily), even clashes of super attacks, dodges in every directions including super jumping in the air, it fits Saint Seiya a lot ! A Modern on such system would be dope.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

But even a more traditional RPG would be great IMO.
Like that.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

And as I already said, the game had decent combat. The previous game was mediocre, the last one was competent on that front. It ran smoothly, had lots of fanservice, faithful attacks, and the characters all had their own stuff to work with with the new combo system.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

The story was complete shit but the game a step up from the last one gameplay wise.
They added a lot of little details from the manga too, you'd get an iconic pose when you finish the opponent with a certain attack etc...

apvgAN.jpg

It's not perfect by any means but it was better than the usual awful Saint Seiya games, gameplay wise.
Fuck, now I want those games you are suggesting too, those ideas you propose are not bad at all, will probably never get anymore Saint Seiya games anyway since the last one was just created to promote Soul of Gold, our only hope is that this Netflix show becomes as smash hit in USA and more seasons/episodes get made and hopefully a new video game too.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Slaythe what SS fighting game is that? It's not the one on Steam, I've done a few supers in that and they look nothing like that

Slaythe

Fuck, now I want those games you are suggesting too, those ideas you propose are not bad at all, will probably never get anymore Saint Seiya games anyway since the last one was just created to promote Soul of Gold, our only hope is that this Netflix show becomes as smash hit in USA and more seasons/episodes get made and hopefully a new video game too.

Yeah you know what, Saint Seiya isn't as popular as it used to be so we shouldn't fight each other. Let's stay positive and look forward to the future. Hopefully they have some cool stuff in store !

Slaythe what SS fighting game is that? It's not the one on Steam, I've done a few supers in that and they look nothing like that

It's the ps4 game, I think it's the same on steam.
The basic supers came from the ps3 game a bit modified, so you need to unlock the characters and their super attacks. Almost every character has at least one great looking Super.

Sometimes they're just faithful, not much else they could have done.

Like it's hard to make "throwing roses" sick :p .

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

That being said they made trident throw pretty sick :p .

giphy.gif

Each super has its own specific way of being landed in combos, but it's nice to note that the God Warriors (and most god forms) have insanely fast start up, so they can land them whenever they want without set up or specific combos while in cosmos mode. Also Alberich is crazy and can land it even without being in cosmos mode, because he can trap opponents in his amethyst shield.

Saint Seiya as a game would probably work best as some sort of card-based, turn-based RPG.

I would love to have played a "Super Saint Seiya" on the SNES along the lines of the old NES original though.

aMTnz48.png

rtW7l23.png

duckroll

Saint Seiya as a game would probably work best as some sort of card-based, turn-based RPG.

I would love to have played a "Super Saint Seiya" on the SNES along the lines of the old NES original though.

Saint Seiya Phantom Dust. Saint Seiya Baten Kaitos. Saint Seiya Phantasy Star Online Episode 3. Saint Seiya Metal Gear Ac!d.

What do these ideas all have in common? DEAD GAMES. T_T

Next Dimension is shiiiiiiiit. Saint Seiya is one of those franchises where it turns out the secondary writers (and directors) are better than the original creator.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Always thought it made no sense how Athena was a good person yet people like Guilty, Tatsumi, etc. were under her command.

Guilty was kinda explained in the anime tho, Esmeralda mentions that he became a different person when he went to the Sanctuary shortly before Ikki arrived in the Death Queen Island. Maybe Saga used the Genrou Maou Ken on Guilty.

Guilty was kinda explained in the anime tho, Esmeralda mentions that he became a different person when he went to the Sanctuary shortly before Ikki arrived in the Death Queen Island. Maybe Saga used the Genrou Maou Ken on Guilty.

I think that was specifically added to the anime to make more sense. Still, the whole thing about sending young clueless kids all over the world to train in ridiculously harsh conditions is weird, but I suppose Mitsumasa Kido is an asshole.

Top Bottom