• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remake or new IP? What does NeoGAF want Bluepoint to do next?

What are you hoping Bluepoint Games reveals next?

• Hoping they make an all new original IP.

Votes: 65 27.7%
  • Hoping they remake a PlayStation classic.

Votes: 170 72.3%

• Total voters

Zeroing

Banned
I think they will keep doing remakes/remasters, that’s the core of the studio, what they are known for.
Let’s not forget Sony owns the Amiga IPs if I’m not mistaken. Shadow of the Beast was one of the first to come out.

Alphagear

A remake of a classic though I wouldn't mind them making a sequel to an existing IP.

Demons Souls 2 or Bloodborne 2?

Why not? They have the engine and expertise having remade Demons Souls.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I don’t believe they have the personel for original content.
If they want to go that route they should do a test run making Demons Souls DLC of the 6th archstone.

If they can do that, and it be successful/well received then the door should be open to making their own game.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
A remake of a classic though I wouldn't mind them making a sequel to an existing IP.

Demons Souls 2 or Bloodborne 2?

Why not? They have the engine and expertise having remade Demons Souls.
Have a studio that has never made their own original content make a sequel to two of Sony’s most well-received franchises?

Get outta here with that crazy talk.

The easiest way to give the studio a chance is to allow them to make their own version of the 6th archstone for Demons Souls.

Alphagear

Have a studio that has never made their own original content make a sequel to two of Sony’s most well-received franchises?

The easiest way to give the studio a chance is to allow them to make their own version of the 6th archstone for Demons Souls.

Every studio starts from Zero. Last time I checked many of the members of Bluepoint are Ex Retro Studios employees who worked on Metroid prime. So their competence is not in question.

If they can make their own version 6th archstone I'm sure they can make a sequel.

yurinka

this right here is the only game they ever made
I don’t believe they have the personel for original content.

Every studio starts from Zero. Last time I checked many of the members of Bluepoint are Ex Retro Studios employees who worked on Metroid prime. So their competence is not in question.

If they can make their own version 6th archstone I'm sure they can make a sequel.

Looking at the Demon's Souls game credits (so ignoring people hired after that game or working in another project) Bluepoint has a lot people experienced working previously in important original games before joining the studio, these are only some of them:

• Producers who worked on Titanfall, Resident Evil 5, Okami, GoW Ghost of Sparta or Journey.
  • Programmers who made the Metroid Prime trilogy or worked in games like Sunset Overdrive, Titanfall or Batman: Arkham Origins – Blackgate. Concept artists from Diablo II, Starcraft, Warcraft III or WoW.
  • Tech artists from the Metroid Prime games, Days Gone, Doom 2016, Prey 2016 or Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, Mario Kart 7, Titanfall, Oddworld: Abe’s Exoddus, Munch’s Odyssey, Star Wars The Old Republic, Batman: Arkham Origins – Blackgate.
  • Environment artists from Baldur’s Gate 1 and 3, the three Metroid Prime, Neverwinter Nights, Mario Kart 7, Donkey Kong Returns and Tropical Freeze, Mafia III, Ghost of Tsushima, Titanfall, Star Wars The Old Republic, Recore, Epic Mickey 2, Doom 2016, Fallout 76, Everquest II, Telltale's Walking Dead/Batman/Borderlands, Batman: Arkham Origins – Blackgate, Darksiders II
  • Visual effects artists from Mortal Kombat X, Injustice, various Fight Night, Doom 2016, Ryse, Stranglehold, Call of Duty: Black Ops or Call of Duty: MW3
  • Character artists from WoW, Starcraft II, Diablo III, Heroes of the Storm, Overwatch
  • Animators from Killer Instinct 2013, Star Wars The Old Republic, Epic Mickey, Darksiders II, Star Wars The Force Unleashed
  • Lighting artists from CoD BO II, CoD IW
  • Designers from Darksiders, Darksiders II, GoW Ascension, Hulk (2008), The Red Star
And remember, this guys got a 92 Metacritic in their most recent project, which was a remake of a game that back then nobody bought. They are very talented and have many experienced people to work on original games. They are also -like all the other Sony internal development studios- hiring a lot to grow.

I think they will keep doing remakes/remasters, that’s the core of the studio, what they are known for.
Let’s not forget Sony owns the Amiga IPs if I’m not mistaken. Shadow of the Beast was one of the first to come out.
Yes, when Sony bought Psygnosis also got their IPs. When they bought Firesprite+Fabrik they had many former Liverpool Studio workers, some of who already where there back in the Psygnosis days.

Soul Reaver. For the love of God.
Hopefully MGS
Or Vagrant Story..
They won't work on these games because they aren't Sony IPs and the company who bought the studio is Sony. So they will work on existing Sony series or in brand new ones.

MGS is the only remotely possible one because Sony is making the MGS movie so they could have teamed up with Konami to make a remake to promote the movie, but still is very difficult.

Last edited:

trikster40

Depends on the game. I’d much rather them spread their wings and pitch some new IPs. I think they’ve got the talent to make a fantastic game, but a studio that’s focused on remakes may not have the creative juices to create an IP.

KAL2006

Banned
Demons Souls: The Sixth Archstone
A standalone expansion similar to Miles Morales and Lost Legacy. Reusing the Demons Souls Remake engine and working with From to make this expansion featuring new weapons, armours, encounters and areas.

Killzone 2 Remake VR
1:1 Remake of Killzone 2 with updated visuals and support for PS VR2

Reimagining of God of War 1-2
Combine the story and change up the skill tree weapons, have areas and boss fights from both games but make it into one cohesive game. They may need to cut out some parts. Make the gameplay and camera angle similar to the norse reboot.

Ico Remake
This can just be a cheaper 1:1 remake with updated visuals similar to Shadow of Collosus.

Legend of Dragoon Reimagining
Full reimagining similar to Final Fantasy 7 Remake with action combat and not turn based.

The above projects should keep them busy for the next 15 years

Last edited:

TheMan

Generally speaking i'm tired of the constant remakes and remasters coming out of the games industry (and hollywood too.) That said, this is bluepoints bread and butter so have at it. They're very good at it and having them around will hopefully make other Sony studies less inclined to fall back on old content and keep going forward wtih new stuff.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Now that they are under Sony's wing, they can do both. There are more classic games that would be awesome to see remakes of, and these guys are the best in the business at that. But it would also be cool to see them do something original. Many Sony studios do 2 games at once these days.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
After they remake Bloodborne they should remake Ghost of Tsushima.

Top priority: Make the graphics better.

Then after that, in 2025 or so, they should remake the Shadow of the Colossus Remake.

The top priority for that one should be graphics.

Graphics.

Last edited:

420bits

They should make the missing archstone in DS in whatever way they want it as an homage, they earned it.

After that, a bloodborne remaster would be nice.

But they could do whatever they want because it's a great studio.

Top Bottom