• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remake or new IP? What does NeoGAF want Bluepoint to do next?

What are you hoping Bluepoint Games reveals next?

• Hoping they make an all new original IP.

Votes: 65 27.7%
  • Hoping they remake a PlayStation classic.

Votes: 170 72.3%

• Total voters

Fbh

That depends, I have zero trust in them to make sequel to something like Bloodborne.

Well yeah, I wouldn't trust anyone to make a good sequel to a FROM game, you can't beat the best in the biz.
But if they are going to bring back some older game or IP I'd rather get a re-imagining or sequel than a game that just plays exactly the same but with updated graphics.

Like if they remake MGS 1 I'd want it to be in third person, maybe with some new or expanded areas, reworked boss fights, new weapons or tools, etc. If it's just the exact same game with the exact same top down view and the exact same gameplay but with shiny new graphics then I wouldn't be too interested.

Or if they make Legen of Dragoon or some more "obscure" IP I'd rather see it get the FF7 Remake treatment than just a 1:1 remake.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Well yeah, I wouldn't trust anyone to make a good sequel to a FROM game, you can't beat the best in the biz.
But if they are going to bring back some older game or IP I'd rather get a re-imagining or sequel than a game that just plays exactly the same but with updated graphics.

Like if they remake MGS 1 I'd want it to be in third person, maybe with some new or expanded areas, reworked boss fights, new weapons or tools, etc. If it's just the exact same game with the exact same top down view and the exact same gameplay but with shiny new graphics then I wouldn't be too interested.

Or if they make Legen of Dragoon or some more "obscure" IP I'd rather see it get the FF7 Remake treatment than just a 1:1 remake.
Before all of that, I like see them make their own IP and see if they can design proper game without depending other devs work.

Reactions: Fbh

Fbh

Before all of that, I like see them make their own IP and see if they can design proper game without depending other devs work.

Oh definitely. I'd rather see them work on a new IP.

I'm just saying. If they end up working with an existing IP again, as is likely, I do hope they get to try to expand or re-imagine it instead of just updating the graphics and leaving everything else untouched.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Oh definitely. I'd rather see them work on a new IP.

I'm just saying. If they end up working with an existing IP again, as is likely, I do hope they get to try to expand or re-imagine it instead of just updating the graphics and leaving everything else untouched.
I frankly don't trust them to re-imagine other IP, especially after ugly re-design they did with some of Demon's Souls enemies and bosses.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I’m sure if they really wanted to they would’ve done so by now.

Do you think creative types want to copy other creative types work?

It's more likely that the people at Bluepoint pursued a strategy of growth by "doing the dirty work", aka doing remakes.

We heard that report from Jason Big Dog Shreier saying that Sony Bend was worried about becoming a Naufhty Dog support studio. These people crave creative freedom.

Do you think creative types want to copy other creative types work?

It's more likely that the people at Bluepoint pursued a strategy of growth by "doing the dirty work", aka doing remakes.

We heard that report from Jason Big Dog Shreier saying that Sony Bend was worried about becoming a Naufhty Dog support studio. These people crave creative freedom.

Isn't Sony Bend developing a new IP?

“And you know, Bend Studio is working on a very exciting new IP that they’re very, very passionate about,” said Hulst. “They’re building on the deep open-world systems that they developed with Days Gone. So I’m really happy for Bend Studio.”

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I don’t get a hard on for “new IP” just for the sake of “new IP”, I just want good games.

Games lose their excitement when you've already experienced what they have to offer. A new coat of paint doesn't hide the fact that we've already experienced the story of Metal Gear Solid as well as it's gameplay.

In other words, there's a reason so few people beat a game twice.

I'd also argue the mediums future is too interesting to copy paste from something in the past.

Remakes appeal to nostalgia (boring) and new gamers who have aged up into the right demo.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Games lose their excitement when you've already experienced what they have to offer. A new coat of paint doesn't hide the fact that we've already experienced the story of Metal Gear Solid as well as it's gameplay.

In other words, there's a reason so few people beat a game twice.

I'd also argue the mediums future is too interesting to copy paste from something in the past.

Remakes appeal to nostalgia (boring) and new gamers who have aged up into the right demo.
Being a new IP doesn’t automatically mean it’s interesting, exciting, or has any new gameplay or anything like that though. God of War wasn’t a new IP and this forum lost their mind over it. Horizon Forbidden West isn’t a new IP and people are losing their minds over it.

A good game is a good game, and it being a new IP doesn’t mean it’s going to be any better than a sequel.

TBH I hope that Sony get them to work on porting their entire first party PS3 library to PS5 since those games are essentially lost to time on consoles.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

I haven't play any of their games so far but the quality of the remakes seems there.

I know they already stated that they don't want to become "the remake studio" but I like the idea. So I am more for more remakes from them, preferably older games than what they already remade. More like PS1 era (Metal Gear Solid obviously)

Toots

Gold Member
NeWImSR.jpg

It's gonna be a "new" IP.
There's a clue in the original illustration...

Ellery

Easy choice. Remake

They have shown they are very good at it and while I love new games more than remakes I think there are some playstation games left that are well worth remaking.

yurinka

I think their next step will be to announced they have been acquired by Sony and are working on a MGS remake for PlayStation Studios to release it more or less at the same time than the console.

As a result of this acquisition, I'd grow the studio pretty fast to 3 teams soon. One team to work on a new IP or their own new games and two teams would work on remakes (God of War 1, Uncharted 1, God of War 2, Killzone 2, etc). The studio would rely more on their remakes side, which may evolve even into 'reboots' of these series integrating the visual tech and maybe sometimes even integrating gameplay features of the most recent entries of these games into the old ones or even adding new ones but focusing on keeping the feeling of the original titles while updating them to modern times.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Bloodborne Remaster
Silent Hill remake
Metal Gear Solid remake

I wouldn't mind seeing a new IP by any means, they just do remakes so well!

Last edited:

un1que

Demon souls was my first souls game. Got past the struggle and loved it. The atmosphere from the sound and graphics pulled me in. After that I went onto dark souls remastered. Jesus, didn’t think the graphical leap would be that big. So it’s pointless but if they could remake dark souls that’d make it more appealing to play through. Lol

On a serious note mgs remake would be amazing.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Hoping for a Jak & Daxter Trilogy Remake. Probably won't happen but im hoping.

The Legend of Dragoon is the Remake that Sony should make them do. Sony is weak on the first party AAA true RPG front.

A large scale, big budget jrpg that was a cult classic back in the day is something that could become the next final fantasy.

Obviously I am a bit biased, because I loved that game growing up, but I do feel like it's prime for a full remake not much unlike ff7.

Benefits the publisher by resurfacing a classic IP back into the lense of the modern day playstation fan, potentially for a very large and thirsty audience, and also benefits the dev, allowing them to attack a much larger scale project than any they've done previously.

They would essentially be given the task of retooling and rebuilding the entire game with modern game design in mind, which allows them to flex their creative muscles, without having to build the characters/lore/story of the world that already exists. So they can focus on what they do best, remaking great games for the current gen.

TLDR: the idea of a big budget full remake of The Legend of Dragoon makes me big horny.

Bluepoint/Sony pls

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Infamous and Motorstorm collections. 4k 60fps.

Pejo

Unpopular post time. I feel conflicted with Bluepoint. They are great technically when remaking games, with better resolution textures, lighting and overall visual image quality. But on the other hand, they really fuck with the art style and feel of the games that they're remaking. They completely toss aside subtlety and ambiance which is fine in modern day shooters and shit like that, but they're being put in charge of fan favorites and artistic achievement games.

I know a lot of you aren't going to understand what I mean, but look at this cap of Wander for instance from SotC. In the first two images he looks forlorn, capable, and determined. In the last one he looks like a sad lesbian. Also, during gameplay he has a static face that shows no emotion, whereas the PS2/PS3 versions his facial expressions change and react to what's going on in the game.

maxresdefault.jpg

Then you have stuff like sound design and enemy design in Demon's Souls remake. Left looks otherworldly, creepy, unreasoning. The right looks like a generic WoW midboss. What are the shackles for? Where did he get the random metal bands all over his arms and horns? It's just shit added for no discernible reason to make him look "AWESOME DUDE".

maxresdefault.jpg

Then you have this kind of shit, which isn't really their fault as much as the casting director and VA I guess, but still, why even change it. At least add the echo that made it seem otherworldly instead of like your grandpa talking to you in the living room.

vs.

To me it's just like they imitate art that they've seen in the past in other games/movies and again, do a great job of technical upgrades. They don't seem to get the nuances of game design though, which sucks considering they keep getting put on games that I loved and would like to see a faithful HD remake of.

Anyways, to answer the OP, let's see them make a new game. See what they can do when they're not spitting on the artistic graves of the previous devs.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
What if they don't want to work on other people's creations anymore?
Then those individuals can go to a studio that will give them that option. They will do what they’re paid to do.

I love my dentist and is a great dentist but I wouldn’t ask him to do open heart surgery.

sublimit

Banned
Then those individuals can go to a studio that will give them that option. They will do what they’re paid to do.

I love my dentist and is a great dentist but I wouldn’t ask him to do open heart surgery.
That's a fucked up logic and has nothing to do with the topic.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That's a fucked up logic and has nothing to do with the topic.
Man I rustled some jimmies there. I hope you're OK.
Fucked up logic is assuming that a studio built to port games is somehow equipped to make their own games from scratch. They're not built for that. It requires different personnel. Different leadership. They would need to hire the appropriate people to build their own project. It's not a simple flip of the switch.

sublimit

Banned
Man I rustled some jimmies there. I hope you're OK.
Fucked up logic is assuming that a studio built to port games is somehow equipped to make their own games from scratch. They're not built for that. It requires different personnel. Different leadership. They would need to hire the appropriate people to build their own project. It's not a simple flip of the switch.
giphy.gif

Top Bottom