• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remakes & Remasters: Soundtracks done right

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Everyone focuses on graphics when it comes to remakes or remasters. A few focus on quality of life and other gaming mechanic upgrades. Rarely, though is there a focus on the soundtracks. This year, I have heard some absolutely beautiful remakes of soundtracks on games that already had a good soundtrack. So, how do you make a good soundtrack even better?

Command & Conquer Remastered: How about getting the original composer to come in with his live band that does nothing but tour around the country playing C&C songs?

Final Fantasy Remake: Or how about updating the audio technology from chip tunes and synthesizers to live orchestra?

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition: Or you could allow the player to switch between old chip tunes and new orchestrated while still in-game.

Any other examples of remakes/remasters getting the audio treatment that you liked? I wonder if the Tony Hawk remasters will get an audio remaster on the OG songs?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't think Konami ever put these gothy metal tunes in an actual Castlevania game, but these are awesome.

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Final Fantasy VII Remake OST

Aggelos

Resident Evil Remakes! A.k.a. Biohazard Remakes.

Better quality digital versions/samples.

1227-1175136010.jpg

84675-1551108761.png

93927-1576005543.png

Hulk_Smash

Banned
I don't think Konami ever put these gothy metal tunes in an actual Castlevania game, but these are awesome.

The Japanese version of Castlevania 3 had an enhanced audio clip that sounded like something you’d hear in a Sega Genesis game. So, it’s like a remaster of sorts:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The Japanese version of Castlevania 3 had an enhanced audio clip that sounded like something you’d hear in a Sega Genesis game. So, it’s like a remaster of sorts:

But that's the original soundtrack. It's the western version that's kind of a... demaster.

TheAssist

The FF7R Soundtrack is so absolutely freaking amazing. The battle music gets you so pumped, while the ambient music puts you right back into your childhood. Its the first OSt I have ever bought. 7 CD's and sooo many awesome tracks. Plus they also made a few new original tracks which are also terrific. Like A Broken World and Midnight Rendezvous. The last one has a special place in my heart. It was an instant hit in my feels when it came on. I could not describe what it was. Someone else put it best when he/she said "its like feeling nostalgia for something you've never had".

I did not think I could become any more of a fanboy for FF7 than I already am, but hot damn this game.

Top Bottom