• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remasters of PS4 games to PS5 games are honestly a rip off

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAL2006

Banned
I think it really depends on what they all do. A resolution and fps update shouldn't cost anything but if they put in a lot of work then I don't mind paying (not $70 though).

But why not both

Ghosts of Tsushima unlocked the framerate and released a native PS5 version.

Many people whould be happy just playing the PS4 version in 60fps. And all the Devs would have to do is open the config file and change 30fps to 60fps.

I'm not saying Sony shouldn't be allowed to do Remasters and improve things and charge for the work, but the fact that they refuse to just do a unlock framerate patch for the original versions seems like corporate greed. I have praised Sony for the patches for God of War, Horizon, Days Gone, Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima. But this Uncharted remaster just looks like corporate greed.

martino

Its dumb I agree. Especially if you own the game.
Important nuance.
Remake/Remaster are always welcome for a new audience (think about them).
But context matter and context here make a new audience a really , really , really small part of it.

Rippa

Yes for the love of god do not hurt Sony’s feelings after all the things they have done for us out of the goodness of their hearts!!

Nice cutting my post out of context.

I guess this is the only place to let the babies cry.

go ahead, let it all out. 🙄

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
That's another reason why people say "PC for everything but exclusives (that can't be emulated)." To bad we have no options with the exclusives...

yurinka

So you LIKE the idea?

your favorite company could not have done this better you mean?
There are 3 options: to give away the new version for free if you bought the old one in a Cross-Buy fashion, to pay a small fee to upgrade or the one Nintendo uses for all their games and was the common one in all the previous generations: having no upgrade option and to pay the full game price again.

I obviously prefer the free upgrade. And if not, the small fee.

Yeah don't need adaptive triggers and etc. But atleast throw a bone and unlock that framerate to 60fps. That's not really putting resources unlocking frame rate. There are hackers who have unlocked framerate on Bloodborne on PS4 Pro, Last Guardian unpatched runs at 60fps. We all know unlocking framerate isn't a big task, but unfortunately these Devs just wanna charge more. Like for example I had no issues with Ghost of Tsushima remaster as they did unlock the framerate for PS4 version so can easily ignore the remaster and extra features.
The amount of work depends on the game. Sometimes the game is very old, and if you try to update anything, the engine updated and doesn't work well generating many crashes, no needs many adaptations of the game to the new engine. And when done profesionally, the updaes or re-releases need to be tested again and to pass a certification process and so on, because it's very common that when you touch something you break something else.

These costs are way smaller when done to update an already existing version compared to release a native version for another console. You don't have to pay age rating, depending on the platform you skip the certification process and the testing is only internal. Plus you don't need to support the new -mandatory- features (in this case for PS5 haptic feedback, adaptative triggers, 3D audio, activity cards, etc).

In addition to don't work for free, quite frequently devs don't update games because they are busy with other projects, the next game they will release. And don't have free time to give you free stuff because they are crunching like motherfuckers.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Many times in the past I've paid £500+ partly to play five (5) year old PC games in 4K60. Some games I've wanted to do that in since they launched in 2014/15 and I couldn't until the 3080 came out, but still can't because its stupid money and not available.

As long as the upgrade fee isn't taking the piss I'll pay it to do that with the PS4 games I own. PC games have always been cheaper than console games for me so I just accept the console tax as meaning I don't have to spend an hour of my time fucking around with the settings. I just play the game.

Markio128

Hands up who hasn’t bought a film on DVD, then bought the same film on Blu-ray, or UHD? If you want a better version of something you love, you will pay for it. Whether it is value for money or not depends on the individual. I don’t disagree with either side because it is purely subjective and honestly, it is fuck all to do with me how somebody wants to spend their money.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Remember when those were just ports and people just bought them and had a coke and smile
reminiscing-good-old-day.gif

rapid32.5

when 4K 60fps can be done in BC mode for free and it's called a remaster, you know those people have set very low standards for themselves.

Last edited:
I dont mind the $10 upgrade. What I do mind is that there is no set in stone rule:

1. Horizon 2 is free because fans strongarmed SONY. IS CROSSGEN
2. Ghost of Tsushima DC has an upgrade option AND IS CROSSGEN
3. Death Stranding DC has an upgrade....BUT ISNT CROSSGEN....directors cut is PS5 only.

Three upgradable games with three different versions of policy. Makes no sense, SONY should of locked to one and only and keep it that way, even if we had to pay $10 for every game. I dont mind it because if I dont have a PS5, even the crossgen games I want to play on PS5. So Ill wait, Im not going to rush and play Horizon 2 on PS4 when in 6 months I can just get a PS5 AND theres going to be sales and used copies all over the place by that time. Its prob going to be like $30.

This is more of a two fold problem that started two gens ago all ps3 had some sort of BC for ps2 games unless the game was region locked until the slim got announced 90% of ps3 in circulation could play disk base ps2 games once they locked that off now publishers are charging anywhere to $9.99 to $39.99 for a "remaster" mind you most of them were straight ports or were barely updated resolution compared to there ps2 counter parts or just straight up busted. The vita got some of the HD remasters the ps3 got and most of them are suspect to say the least most of them where hack sawed thrown together or the puberlishers were cheap and desiced to only put on game on the kart "Cough Cough square" Fast forward to the ps4 and the same thing happens the difference is that publishers said they would backlog or remasters for most of there current and older games. None of it materialized instead of getting like a full HD conversion of Saints row 2, GTA4, Kotor, FF8 na here our last game re released about 3 months ago and now heres the ps4 version nothings changed same game on a different console. Half of the reason why there not upping the FPS on ps4 games is because most game never got a Ps4 pro patch that unlocked the frame rate early ps4 games and some mid gen games running the unpatched version have unlock frame rate but most of them run at a cap of 30 fps.

Last edited:

Roufianos

It's scummy, no doubt. They should release a free 60fps patch for both games for those who don't want the remaster.

I won't be paying for that shit anyway.

fermcr

Companies and developers will continue taking advantage of gamers... because gamers allow it.
If I was a developer with a big IP on my hands, would do the same thing. I would milk that fu*ker for all it's worth, because at the end of the day, GAMERS ARE IDIOTS.

Last edited:

kyussman

They are only a rip off if you rebuy them again,lol......I've played the games on PS4,I won't be buying them a second time.

nbkicker

Its because they no people will buy them, for me i just cant see why you would pay to play gta v yet again or even uncharted 4 , like was mentioned if the ps5 didnt play ps4 ganes then fair enough but u can play these games now

nbkicker

For those waiting for a free last of us 2 update forget it, i wouldn't be surprised if sony come out with a remaster and charge full price for this game again, gaming is getting stale as company's dont want to take a chance on something new, they just seem happy to churn out copies of what sold well, where are all the fighting or driving games we got forza of gt7 coming nothing else, and no fighting games on the horizon announced yet

For those waiting for a free last of us 2 update forget it, i wouldn't be surprised if sony come out with a remaster and charge full price for this game again, gaming is getting stale as company's dont want to take a chance on something new, they just seem happy to churn out copies of what sold well, where are all the fighting or driving games we got forza of gt7 coming nothing else, and no fighting games on the horizon announced yet
QFfnnJQ.jpg

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Uncharted 4 doesn't deserve more than a free fps unlock but I guess because they are making the pc version they though this would atleast look like a release for ps5 at the same time.

Ozzie666

A lot of these do feel like easy quick sell crash grabs, with minimal work. There are a handful of these remasters from PS4, that included something etc, that might border on being worth it. I honestly think PS3 ERA is as far back as anyone should really be going. Mass Effect 3 was a decent package.

If Sony were smart, they would publish these on Xbox too, as trojan horse style releases. Preparing people for exclusive sequels and open themselves up to the Xbox audience.

i have to wonder how much the pandemic shaped all this and opened the door to recoup lost profits. Personally not a fan of the trend, it's like TV and Hollywood running out of ideas and doing remakes.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Man Sony has the best of both worlds: common architecture (x86), and getting its customers to buy the same game twice for a graphics update.

Apo

Simple solution: Don't buy them or wait until they are really cheap or until Sony gives them away for free with PS+.

Yes it would be nice to receive a 4K/60fps update for the PS4 version for free but if we don't it isn't reprehensible.

Topher

Gold Member
Uncharted 4 doesn't deserve more than a free fps unlock but I guess because they are making the pc version they though this would atleast look like a release for ps5 at the same time.

It is being released in a two in one collection with Lost Legacy. I do think every first party PS4 game should get a free 60fps upgrade, but options like these are not a bad thing either.

After the showcase, seeing GTAV and Uncharted 4 looking exactly the same as the PS4 version except in 60fps and 4K. To me it feels like a scam. Yes we had the same on PS3 to PS4 Remasters with Last of Us, and a ton of other games like Bioshock, but atleast the PS4 wasn't backwards compatible and PS3 architecture was completely different so you knew developers were putting effort converting the games to run on PS4. But with these PS5 remasters even Mark Cerny said developing a game on PS5 is no different than a PS4. Both PS4 and PS5 share the same architecture. Developers like Neverrealm and Respawn have made native versions of there games for free. Even a non native 4K60 patch would suffice. I honestly wouldn't mind a remaster if it was like Spiderman with RT support, new textures and models, improved graphics etc but Uncharted just looked higher resolution and 4K.
If you don't like it, don't buy it.

There's some who would find 4K60 to be enough of an upgrade.

Shmunter

If you don't like it, don't buy it.

There's some who would find 4K60 to be enough of an upgrade.
Surely you don’t support needing to pay for just a rez & framerate bump. And in the case of Uncharted, it’s lining up to not even be a $10 upgrade, but a whole new purchase.

Last edited:
Surely you don’t support needing to pay for just a rez & framerate bump. And in the case of Uncharted, it’s lining up to not even be a $10 upgrade, but a whole new purchase.
Of course I won't pay for a simple resolution upgrade as I already own the game on PS4 so I'm in no terrible hurry to get this on PS5.
If i was new to Uncharted 4 and just picked up a PS5 then sure yeah I'd pay because its my first time playing the game and 4K60 on a next gen platform should pretty much be standard. Anything less and then yeah we can start readying the pitchforks.

Vote with your wallet if you don't like the practice.

Shmunter

Of course I won't pay for a simple resolution upgrade as I already own the game on PS4 so I'm in no terrible hurry to get this on PS5.
If i was new to Uncharted 4 and just picked up a PS5 then sure yeah I'd pay because its my first time playing the game and 4K60 on a next gen platform should pretty much be standard. Anything less and then yeah we can start readying the pitchforks.

Vote with your wallet if you don't like the practice.
Vote for sure, but this tactic takes away the basic frame unlock on the BC version we’re all hanging out for…so voting one thing, but we’re also getting screwed over without recourse.

kingwingin

There are a few ps4 games I'd buy again on ps5 for a res and framerate boost. Worth it alone to get the patches on a disc

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
But why not both

Ghosts of Tsushima unlocked the framerate and released a native PS5 version.

Many people whould be happy just playing the PS4 version in 60fps. And all the Devs would have to do is open the config file and change 30fps to 60fps.

I'm not saying Sony shouldn't be allowed to do Remasters and improve things and charge for the work, but the fact that they refuse to just do a unlock framerate patch for the original versions seems like corporate greed. I have praised Sony for the patches for God of War, Horizon, Days Gone, Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima. But this Uncharted remaster just looks like corporate greed.

Why not wait until more info is available?

To be honest this actually seems more like a PC project than a PS5 one with U4 already being effectively given away as part of the PS+ collection and both titles being available to buy at budget price-points for years.

That being said there are two complicating factors; first and foremost there's the multiplayer mode to consider and whether its going to offer cross-platform play an if so how they are going to manage that so as to avoid KB+M players dominating. I'd also assume that a 120hz mode will be included given how the original ran at 60 already. The second thing to consider is if the cut-scenes in the original were authored as video files, making it likely that they'd want to re-implement them in real-time to give a more consistent presentation and to save on disk space.

I can see it being a substantially more involved process than with the other games mentioned, which is why they didn't tackle it sooner, perhaps waiting until the PC version was greenlit in order to help cover costs.

Vote for sure, but this tactic takes away the basic frame unlock on the BC version we’re all hanging out for…so voting one thing, but we’re also getting screwed over without recourse.
Protest then.

Get MrFunSocks MrFunSocks some fire lighters so he can burn down a PS warehouse.

Last time we moaned about upgrade prices on backward compatible games and Sony listened. I dunno do whatever.

EDIT: Sorry I feel very angry today. Please disregard this post.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Remasters are important to gamers.
Yes for games thats not possible to play on modern systems like Muramasa or upcoming GrimGrimoire and Dead Space. But for games can already played on PS5 is waste, PS5 update is more than enough.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Yes for games thats not possible to play on modern systems like Muramasa or upcoming GrimGrimoire and Dead Space. But for games can already played on PS5 is waste, PS5 update is more than enough.
Dead space is not playable on modern systems or just not playable on modern PS system thanks to Sony lack of effort in BC?
If a game has a PC ports then is playable on modern systems. Those vanillaware games would run on toasters if they were ported to PC.

There is a place for remasters/remakes, but I agree it is sometimes just a lazy cash grab.
They are sometimes warranted but its gotten to the point where nowadays like half of the releases are just remakes and remasters. And the remasters nowadays aren't even needed like there could remasters of region locked gems from the PS2 era like Tales of the Abyss(I had to buy freemcboot and a disc drive just to get it working) but instead they decide to remaster fucking spiderman and horizon zero dawn of all games from 2017/2018 which you can just play through backwards compatibility on your PS5. It's infuriating. Sorry i know this seems like ranting.

Last edited:
They are sometimes warranted but its gotten to the point where nowadays like half of the releases are just remakes and remasters. And the remasters nowadays aren't even needed like there could remasters of region locked gems from the PS2 era like Tales of the Abyss(I had to buy freemcboot and a disc drive just to get it working) but instead they decide to remaster fucking spiderman and horizon zero dawn of all games from 2017/2018 which you can just play through backwards compatibility on your PS5. It's infuriating. Sorry i know this seems like ranting.
I agree that TLOU remaster was really unnecessary.

I mean, yes, the remaster looks incredible and it is THE definitive edition of the game.

My attitude is they could have used that time, and those resources, to speed up Factions multiplayer or to begin a new game.

I agree that TLOU remaster was really unnecessary.

I mean, yes, the remaster looks incredible and it is THE definitive edition of the game.

My attitude is they could have used that time, and those resources, to speed up Factions multiplayer or to begin a new game.

Exactly. They could at LEAST have just made a new game or create a new mode for it rather than pointlessly remake it on a console which can just play it through backwards compatibility. They don't need to tremaster they can just patch it to run at 60fps 4K on the PS5 like with games such as Infamous Second Son.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Dead space is not playable on modern systems or just not playable on modern PS system thanks to Sony lack of effort in BC?
If a game has a PC ports then is playable on modern systems. Those vanillaware games would run on toasters if they were ported to PC.
Not everyone owns gaming PC, I only own PS5 and Switch. Also GrimGrimoire Oncemore is not simple remaster, just like Odin Sphere Leifthrasir, they improved gameplay added lot of QOL feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom