• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy's top executives sold large quantities of their own stock last Wednesday before their new game Control has been released.

So i found this in a Finnish website today, it seems that the game Control developed by Remedy is going to bomb hard and Remedy's management knows about it, so the company's CEO Tero Virtala and Chairman Markus Järvi sold a total of 170,000 of their own shares last Wednesday.

You can translate the article by using google translate from Finnish to English.
Doesn't sound like they have much faith in their upcoming product.

Gamernyc78

Banned
So i found this in a Finnish website today, it seems that the game Control developed by Remedy is going to bomb hard and Remedy's management knows about it, so the company's CEO Tero Virtala and Chairman Markus Järvi sold a total of 170,000 of their own shares last Wednesday.

You can translate the article by using google translate from Finnish to English.
Doesn't sound like they have much faith in their upcoming product.

Wow! Grimey I hope thy get on his ass!!! That's not how you run a company and put faith in a brand. Definitely illegal insider trading type shit.

Last edited:
doesnt that fall under insider trading. battlefield 4 had something like this before release too.
Depends on the jurisdiction. It’s not a good look for execs to be dumping stock and is typically a massive red flag. In the US execs are limited from dumping stock and have to do so at pre-declared intervals, typically over a span of 6 months to combat the appearance of jumping from a sinking ship (or other shenanigans).

Word has been floating around that Remedy has been seeking a buyer for some time now, so it may or may not be foul play or part of a purchase by an outside company. I don’t trust Google for a translation from Finnish, one of 3 most difficult languages in the world (IIRC, it has 21 different cases 0_O).

nikolino840

Or maybe someone buy remedy so they sell what they have to make.. Money?
I don't know nothing about economic stuff....

Zannegan

Seems both shady and disconcerting that they have so little faith in their product. I wonder if it's a quality issue or if their preorders were just low.

I've been on a quasi media blackout for the game because the premise and early impressions sounded so good. Seems like I may have been mistaken. =/

Vorg

Banned
I'm sure announcing the game with ridiculous minimum requirements had nothing to do with the low pre-orders.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The game has gotten literally NO HYPE whatsoever. It's being published by a publisher that I have never heard of: 505 Games.

I really truly hope it's a great game as I have always been a fan of Remedy.

Neither Alan Wake or Quantum Break (those two kind rhyme!) have sold particularly well eventhough they were pretty good games IMO and I fear that Control is going to fall into that same trap.

At this point it is probably best that Remedy does get acquired. Let's say that crazy rumor of Sony trying to acquire Remedy ends up being true that pretty much means Alan Wake 2 will never happen as I understand that Microsoft owns that IP.

Last edited:

Ellery

After playing Quantum Break I have no hopes for Control, but I will still look at what the reviews say. Definitely not a pre order or a Full Price buy for me.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That sounds borderline illegal. If they truly know something the rest of us don't, this looks like insider trading.
Not if what they are doing is jumping off their own sinking ship. This isn't insider trading.
Its always a gray area type thing. I mean if you know you're about to get some bad news. I find it odd that you should be forced to hold onto to your stock.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
people go on about Alan Wake like its some masterpiece, it has great parts for sure but as a whole package very flawed. and dont get me started on quantum break..geez what an awful game.
I've never consider Remedy games to be masterpieces, but I've always enjoyed playing them and have fun with them. I admit that Alan Wake is really the only game of their's that I have done multiple playthroughs on. Max Payne 3 was the only one not developed by Remedy and I consider it to be the best one.

jakinov

The game has gotten literally NO HYPE whatsoever. It's being published by a publisher that I have never heard of: 505 Games.

Neither Alan Wake or Quantum Break (those two kind rhyme!) have sold particularly well eventhough they were pretty good games IMO and I fear that Control is going to fall into that same trap.

At this point it is probably best that Remedy does get acquired. Let's say that crazy rumor of Sony trying to acquire Remedy ends up being true that pretty much means Alan Wake 2 will never happen as I understand that Microsoft owns that IP.

Remedy Acquires Alan Wake Rights From Microsoft

Kenpachii

Company killed itself the moment it stabbed PC gamers in the back and moved to xbox as exclusive + make it a corridor lineare game. Most people boycotted it hard as result. Also xbox was so expensive when it came out nobody really cared much for it as it compeltely changed through limitation of xbox.

Here's what it originally was supposed to be:

A huge open world with physics and weather simulations etc. Then it became this scripted gated console type of game.

That other game runned like utter trash on PC when i tested it out and wasn't it this half series type of game that needed to push microsoft tv show / game hybrid solution? i ended up refunding it anyway, never looked back.

Control now watching this guy play it honestly looks like another soulless mindless shooter with sub par visuals in small cooridors.

Unless it's starting to open up, i cant see this having much legs.

Also PC release date is god awful, its like 1 day away from wow vanilla which pretty much most people are going to try out so a really bad time ot launch.

Last edited:

nikolino840

There Is hype more then QB,and i see lot of marketing and coverage in blogs and youtubers

Acquired by Sony could be weird...they have recently worked with ms directx and Nvidia for the raytracing in the engine
Useless if they can't make PC games and i don't how the things works with consoles API

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Thank you for sharing this great news
giphy.gif

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Company killed itself the moment it stabbed PC gamers in the back and moved to xbox as exclusive + make it a corridor lineare game. Most people boycotted it hard as result. Also xbox was so expensive when it came out nobody really cared much for it.

That other game runned like utter trash on PC when i tested it out and wasn't it this half series type of game that needed to push microsoft tv show / game hybrid solution? i ended up refunding it anyway, never looked back.

Control now watching this guy play it honestly looks like another soulless mindless shooter with sub par visuals in small cooridors.

Unless it's starting to open up, i cant see this having much legs.

Also PC release date is god awful, its like 1 day away from wow vanilla which pretty much most people are going to try out so a really bad time ot launch.
There Is hype more then QB,and i see lot of marketing and coverage in blogs and youtubers

Acquired by Sony could be weird...they have recently worked with ms directx and Nvidia for the raytracing in the engine
Useless if they can't make PC games and i don't how the things works with consoles API
Nevertheless, it's a game that I am going to keep an eye on. For the most part I have liked Remedy, but I do have to agree that they absolutely must do a better job at optimizing PC games, specifically QB. I refuse to believe that better optimization couldn't get me 4K/60 fps on my 2080 Ti.

However, it is worth nothing that the PC version of Alan Wake when it was released ran pretty well I thought.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
More interested in Control than I ever was for Quantum Break which I gave a 7.0/10. Expecting Control to be at least an 8.0/10 for me which if it hits that, I'll be a happy camper since that would mean I liked and enjoyed it more than Quantum Break.

Guiberu

505 announced yesterday that they'd be only allowing women to stream the game prior to release. Because equality. I shit you not.

There were when tweets from those that had early copies shitting all over the game, stating it's pretty underwhelming, both story and gameplay wise.

Make of that what you.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Dreamcastguy who I like but is definitely off sometimes when it comes to reviews gave Control a 9.5/10 but he is a huge fan of Remedy and Alan Wake is one of his three favorite games of all time. Way too high of a score. I'm personally expecting around at least an 8.0/10 for me and as long as it's better than Quantum Break and I like it better, I'll be a happy camper especially since im renting it from GameFly. Hehehe.

Reactions: Isa

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I can tell you all right now that Control is going to review great, so whatever conspiracy theory some of you are trying to pull here is baseless.

It looks like Quantum Break 2, and where did the first bring remedy?

I actually liked QB

Ever since Max Payne 2 Remedy hasn't been able to really close the loop, so to speak, with their games.

I really enjoyed Alan Wake, but I think the game suffered from being a bit too linear. Quantum Break should have abandoned the goofy ass live action stuff and given the campaign more content. Control, from what I've seen seems a bit sterile. lacking personality, but I still want to give it a shot. If I were to guess, it looks like a 7/10 game that I'll probably get in a year on sale for $20.

I think the dumping of stock probably has more to do with no one (outside of people like us)knowing wtf the game is. You could stand in a Gamestop and ask 100 people there - probably 20 would know what you're talking about.

Kenpachii

Nevertheless, it's a game that I am going to keep an eye on. For the most part I have liked Remedy, but I do have to agree that they absolutely must do a better job at optimizing PC games, specifically QB. I refuse to believe that better optimization couldn't get me 4K/60 fps on my 2080 Ti.

However, it is worth nothing that the PC version of Alan Wake when it was released ran pretty well I thought.

Dunno about that.

AW_02.png

Alan wake was designed in the dx10 area where 280 gtx which is half the performance of 580 was the king. even a 580 couldn't hold a stable 60 fps in that game on maximum settings. Yea PC monitors had actually more pixels in that time period then 1080p.

Sure u could cut some visuals down and get a stable 60 fps most likely at the time it released which was fine i guess.

However quantum break couldn't even run at max settings on stable 30 fps at 1080p on the most expensive card at that time which was a 980.

d3a6d9c3cc4e064cb7f7ccfbdfd59834.jpg

And the framedrops where horrible with it a stutter mess entirely. DX12 which should have been the saving grace for the game made it even worse.

That's a 780 ti, 970, 980 and a 980 ti which launched later and also costed a lot more.

Control i have no idea about how it will run as its not out just yet, obviously the people they gave the key either play it on consoles or have top notch hardware to get it going.

But there early leaked hardware requirements kinda made me iffy with recommend being 1080 ti gpu performance which is kinda ridiculous.

Last edited:
This is clearly some sort of inside trading. The minor share holders didn’t have access to details of the product as they had.

Remedy recently regained the Alan Wake IP.

Top Bottom