• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy's top executives sold large quantities of their own stock last Wednesday before their new game Control has been released.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Dunno about that.

AW_02.png

Alan wake was designed in the dx10 area where 280 gtx which is half the performance of 580 was the king. even a 580 couldn't hold a stable 60 fps in that game on maximum settings. Yea PC monitors had actually more pixels in that time period then 1080p.

Sure u could cut some visuals down and get a stable 60 fps most likely at the time it released which was fine i guess.

However quantum break couldn't even run at max settings on stable 30 fps at 1080p on the most expensive card at that time which was a 980.

d3a6d9c3cc4e064cb7f7ccfbdfd59834.jpg

And the framedrops where horrible with it a stutter mess entirely. DX12 which should have been the saving grace for the game made it even worse.

That's a 780 ti, 970, 980 and a 980 ti which launched later and also costed a lot more.

Control i have no idea about how it will run as its not out just yet, obviously the people they gave the key either play it on consoles or have top notch hardware to get it going.

But there early leaked hardware requirements kinda made me iffy with recommend being 1080 ti gpu performance which is kinda ridiculous.
To be fair, when I had the game I had a Geforce 670 and I ran it at 1080p with some details turned off.

At that time 1080p gaming was still considered somewhat premium, although it was transitioning to be mainstream by then.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
This doesn’t sound good but also doesn’t mean that they have no faith in their upcoming game. They might’ve did that to get some money

I had the review copy for the last week and a half. Beat the game twice and got most of the achievements. It's a solid game with an interesting story and a few throwbacks to Alan Wake. They might be in the same universe and if not then its just easter eggs. Would like to talk more but I am afraid I can't. Embargo is up tomorrow morning. Stay tuned.

Played on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X and both are having some technical issues.

Von Hugh

I'm a bit worried of Remedy at this point. Back in Max Payne 1 and 2 times they were on top of the world with no other direction than up, but since then they have dumbed down their production into niche products from the initial concept of Alan Wake.

Now they have gone even smaller with Control even though they have grown in personell and office size. It seems that the Microsoft acquisition would have been the biggest factor in their vision, but now I'm not so sure anymore.

Also, they are a stock company now which brings more pressure to the owners. I'm worried how they are going to be able to carry on with their long production cycles and minor-ish releases such as Control. Seems like another acquisition is the only way right now, as unfortunate it is.

FireFly

I don't really understand the hostility towards Control. Mechanically it looks more advanced than Alan Wake, and the story seems in the same style. Am I only the only person that wants to play a video game version of David Lynch's work?

It just seems like nobody is prepared to give Remedy the benefit of the doubt that they would likely get if this was an Alan Wake sequel.

I was going to post in the Control thread that this was going to be Remedy's last game but I didn't want to go seeking attention more than I already did by asking what the gameplay is supposed to revolve around. You run around a bunch of rooms and throw stuff or shoot them. Nothing about it stands out. Some of it looks pretty?

The game looks like a tech demo made from the assets of Quantum Break, which feels kind of like Alan Wake already. Remedy have been riding the Microsoft gravy train for how many years, and have made 2-3 games in that time, none of which sold that well to justify their development cycle.

I've been watching the gameplay streamed today before reviews come out tomorrow. Personally I'm curious about the game enough to watch more footage but everything is the same. None of the gameplay stands out and the player character is mostly running around lifeless indoor environments with some nice chairs, tables or machinery.

FireFly

I was going to post in the Control thread that this was going to be Remedy's last game but I didn't want to go seeking attention more than I already did by asking what the gameplay is supposed to revolve around. You run around a bunch of rooms and throw stuff or shoot them. Nothing about it stands out. Some of it looks pretty?
If you're going to be reductive, then isn't Alan Wake's gameplay just shine your light on enemies and shoot them? I am playing Gears of War 4 at the moment, and the gameplay for that could be summarised as stick to a cover point and then pop up and shoot enemies in the head.

If you're going to be reductive, then isn't Alan Wake's gameplay just shine your light on enemies and shoot them? I am playing Gears of War 4 at the moment, and the gameplay for that could be summarised as stick to a cover point and then pop up and shoot enemies in the head.

I don't like Alan Wake. I don't like Gears of War singleplayer. Multiplayer games are a different animal entirely.

Control seems very barren. There is no satisfying loop or content. Nothing seems to stand out as the draw of the game. There's a mountain of shitty games out there and sure I would could reduce them but I don't care about them and mostly avoid talking about them. I want to be interested in Control because on paper or conceptually it interests me. So I'm talking about it, but I'm not sold, in fact the opposite. It seems terrible. Polished turd. They should've stopped development but they had no choice because there's no moneypot to save them. I'm very disappointed because this was their chance to get away from the Alan Wake/Quantum Break high budget story approach and make an arcade style game with their experience from refining through Wake to Quantum. Except they've went into some void between both and now there's just nothing there any party.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Control is Remedy's best game if you ask me. Some tech issues, and the checkpoint system kinda sucks if you hit a wall, but everything else is perfection.

Gliding through the air while picking up enemies and throwing them at each other is pure magic.

jump to conclusions much? could just be that they are subject to a trading window which just opened?

lots of publicly traded companies pay a portion of their employees salaries in shares. you are not allowed to sell these shares outside of a trading window to avoid things like insider trading and such.

personally, about 40% of my salary comes via shares and we regularly sell a portion of these to fund things like family trips, pay for unexpected things that come up, transfer to cash assets and put into savings, etc...

just because someone is selling some of their stock holdings does not mean that the company is about is sink. how many shares do they hold total? if they were selling off the majority of them, that would be a bit of a red flag

Last edited:

FireFly

Control seems very barren. There is no satisfying loop or content. Nothing seems to stand out as the draw of the game. There's a mountain of shitty games out there and sure I would could reduce them but I don't care about them and mostly avoid talking about them. I want to be interested in Control because on paper or conceptually it interests me. So I'm talking about it, but I'm not sold, in fact the opposite. It seems terrible. Polished turd. They should've stopped development but they had no choice because there's no moneypot to save them. I'm very disappointed because this was their chance to get away from the Alan Wake/Quantum Break high budget story approach and make an arcade style game with their experience from refining through Wake to Quantum. Except they've went into some void between both and now there's just nothing there any party.
It seems to me that the gameplay loop is to alternate between firing your main weapon and telekinesis while dodging attacks, and focussing on high level enemies as the threat escalates and the Hiss enemies evolve. Eg.:

So it kind of operates in a middle ground between a cover based shooter and a more arcade style experience. I don't see why such a middle ground shouldn't be allowed to exist. Whether such an experience is "fun" is pretty subjective. The above gameplay footage looks pretty frentic and seems to require effective threat prioritisation and use of your abilities.

Boss Mog

505 announced yesterday that they'd be only allowing women to stream the game prior to release. Because equality. I shit you not.

There were when tweets from those that had early copies shitting all over the game, stating it's pretty underwhelming, both story and gameplay wise.

Make of that what you.

You know what, why don't we just let women be the only ones to buy it as well; us guys will just skip it and kill 2 birds with one stone.

Neff

people go on about Alan Wake like its some masterpiece, it has great parts for sure but as a whole package very flawed.

It's shite.

Beautiful, intriguing, well-written shite. It's great for about an hour and then you realise that the gameplay isn't going to go anywhere, and you're going to be killing the same handful of enemy types the exact same gimmicky way for the rest of the game. And you're right.

So all that's left is the story, which is great if you play games for the story.

I never played quantum break, was it any good?
Got it for free on PC a year ago. Played for 10 minutes and put it down. Never played it again. Its dull AF and i can't put my finger on it but it just screams MEH. Also people have reported that you unlock the powers quite early so the rest of the game is cakewalk which to me sounds even more offputting.
This Control game looked like shit for me the moment i saw it. Nothing about it is remotely interesting but hey, there's atleast RTX tech so you can ooh and aaah at the lighting.

TeamGhobad

Banned
It's shite.

Beautiful, intriguing, well-written shite. It's great for about an hour and then you realise that the gameplay isn't going to go anywhere, and you're going to be killing the same handful of enemy types the exact same gimmicky way for the rest of the game. And you're right.

So all that's left is the story, which is great if you play games for the story.

story felt like creepy twin peaks at start and it was great but then devolved into monster bullshit. and the DLC just made it worse.

Control looks solid. somewhere between 7-8 in my book. It's a funny sight how "suddenly" people who worshipped Remedy in the Alan Wake era now are saying quite the opposite claiming that they are mediocre. I wonder why... (just in case: rethoric question. The answer is pretty obvious)

It seems to me that the gameplay loop is to alternate between firing your main weapon and telekinesis while dodging attacks, and focussing on high level enemies as the threat escalates and the Hiss enemies evolve. Eg.:

So it kind of operates in a middle ground between a cover based shooter and a more arcade style experience. I don't see why such a middle ground shouldn't be allowed to exist. Whether such an experience is "fun" is pretty subjective. The above gameplay footage looks pretty frentic and seems to require effective threat prioritisation and use of your abilities.

That video actually made it look "okay". I haven't seen that footage which seems to be late game judging from the healthbar and higher number of advanced enemy types. All footage I had seen was the early game from streams today which stretches far too long without that much change, and the rest is some foaming at the mouth journalists. Dreamcast guy actually made it look half decent too at points. The flying guys are a boss encounter from earlier in the game.

But even here the player seems to be running around like a spastic while enemies do very little. I can deal with bad AI pathing and shit but I need to be squeezed. The game has no difficulty options from what I've seen. Still the issue of the walking simulator side of things. There's a little too much "nothing".

But yeah, I have to play the game now. I need lots of that type of stuff.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
Yeah, that's eyebrow raising at the very least. I honestly don't know what to think about Control. Seems like it could go either way. Still Remedy has more hits than misses. Looking forward to impressions.

I never played quantum break, was it any good?
Kinda

The live action stuff was mostly terrible. The story started off pretty good, but ends like a wet fart.

Graphics and overall production value (aside from the live action stuff) are phenomenal.

Gameplay is solid, but I don't feel like the level and enemy design reached its potential. If you can find it for $10 give it a shot.

Makes sense they would go for the Epic exclusive then because the Epic deal pays them back the budget for the game (I think it’s reported that this is what they offer).

If you have a game you think is going to bomb then what better way to recoup the potential loss.

down 2 orth

Makes sense they would go for the Epic exclusive then because the Epic deal pays them back the budget for the game (I think it’s reported that this is what they offer).

If you have a game you think is going to bomb then what better way to recoup the potential loss.

Yeah I was thinking that Epic deal shows that they really don't have confidence in their product. Seems like a poorly run studio.

wipeout364

Lots of remedy hate in this thread. 😞

I personally love their output, great combat mechanics with fun story lines. Way too much hate on Quantum Break, it was a great third person shooter with a crazy storyline.

I think people think Remedy are like Nintendo or Rockstar, when in reality they are more like Insomniac, Rebellion, or Ninja Theory(before they were bought) and have set their expectations way too high for their games.

DanielsM

Banned
doesnt that fall under insider trading. battlefield 4 had something like this before release too.

Although insider trading can pertain to private companies, but normally its a public company thing, at least in the U.S. (again, it depends) Generally, as long as issues were disclosed, not sure there would be a problem in the U.S., although this is in a different jurisdiction. Every company has some type of issue..... if they had access to information that others didn't, it could be a problem.... although I have no idea what the laws are in Finland.

For the record, I would not be surprised by financial issues with Remedy.... I'm surprised they have made it this far, not that I think they are horrible... its just a tough business for the mid tier developers.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
The game has gotten literally NO HYPE whatsoever. It's being published by a publisher that I have never heard of: 505 Games.

505 Games used to bring niche games to Europe. (Fire Pro Wrestling Returns, Super Robot Taisen Original Generation...)

More recently they've gotten bigger. Like Payday 2 or Bloodstained Ritual of the Night.
But Ashes Cricket 2013 was an infamous flop.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Unfortunately, a lot of the streams I've seen, the game doesn't look all that interesting.

I'll wait to see if Karak Karak does a review and what he thinks of it. His tastes tend to align with mine a lot.

rob305

I legit thought this was a $40 spinoff AA title when i first saw it at e3, was baffled when i realized its a full prized game. The reviews tomorrow will show, hoping this somehow turns out to be decent because i'm in a drought

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I legit thought this was a $40 spinoff AA title when i first saw it at e3, was baffled when i realized its a full prized game. The reviews tomorrow will show, hoping this somehow turns out to be decent because i'm in a drought
I'd be surprised if the game sold more than a million copies. Although just about every game probably does if released across a ton of platforms at heavy digital discount.

I'll say this game gets 75%. Quantum Break got something similar.

Iced Arcade

Actually don't think i disliked a Remedy game. I liked QB except the tv show episodes each chapter.

If they are unloading stock... no one is in talks of acquiring them.

Don't most execs have to have stock to be in the position and also don't most people leave after a game launch? Maybe work is done and want to leave, hence the sell-off. Either way, gotta wait and see what shakes out.

Top Bottom