• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reminder: PlayStation is still ****ing out Shawn Laydens diet.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Shawn Layden stepped down as CEO of Worldwide Studios in September of 2019.

That means almost everything we saw from yesterday's PlayStation Experience was a result of Shawn Laydens leadership, not Jim Ryan or Herman Hulst. In fact, the only impact Sonys new leadership had on yesterday's show was (arguably) Insomniac Games becoming a Marvel Studio for the time being. Everything else got the greenlight well before September of 2019.

I'm seeing a few people try to bash Jim Ryan based on the games we're seeing and that makes no sense. The Jim Ryan / Herman Hulst PlayStation won't be visible until 2022/2023 at the earliest.

f9e.gif

In fact, the only impact Sonys new leadership had on yesterday's show was (arguably) Insomniac Games becoming a Marvel Studio for the time being.
That alone is reason enough to shit on Ryan. Not that im buying that his hands are tied for 2 to 3 years because reasons.

He won’t necessarily change deals already in progress nor stop developing whats in progress, but he can get the ball rolling on changing course and making it known ; and he absolutely fails at that.

splattered

I thought it was a good conference, it just wasn't full of all the imaginary things that don't exist that people are constantly begging for. No biggie. Your comment reminds me of the Mattrick to Spencer transition that took a while to work itself out. Only problem here being i don't see current Sony leadership doing ANYTHING to right the ship... if anything it just feels the same or worse two years later.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
That alone is reason enough to shit on Ryan. Not that im buying that his hands are tied for 2 to 3 years because reasons.

He won’t necessarily change deals already in progress nor stop developing whats in progress, but he can get the ball rolling on changing course and making it known ; and he absolutely fails at that.

I'm not particularly interested in Marvel games but from a financial perspective it's a smart move. Spider-Man is probably PlayStations biggest, most successful franchise at this point and I'll bet Wolverine isn't too far behind when it eventually releases.

That being said, it doesn't strike me as a particularly genius or risky idea. It's one that I could easily see most CEOs make.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
What!? that was nearly 3 years ago now. CEOs in Jims position can do things pretty quickly. I dont think people are really bashing Jim but the obession to defend these people is crazy.

Everytime i see a " leave sony alone!" post I picture the poster as....

chriscrocker.jpg

Last edited:
That's some serious damage control. I think a lot of the pricing and policy decisions can be laid at his feet. The games themselves aren't really that much of a point of criticism honestly, so it's kind of not the point. I think people may be critical of more Marvel, which could possibly be something else happening under his leadership.

Mostly we're all just guessing. At the very least, he should be able to articulate what his vision is for Playstation, even if we don't see the results yet. So far the communication, PR, marketing, events, showcases, interviews - have all been poor.

JLB

Banned

That means almost everything we saw from yesterday's PlayStation Experience was a result of Shawn Laydens leadership, not Jim Ryan or Herman Hulst. In fact, the only impact Sonys new leadership had on yesterday's show was (arguably) Insomniac Games becoming a Marvel Studio for the time being. Everything else got the greenlight well before September of 2019.

I'm seeing a few people try to bash Jim Ryan based on the games we're seeing and that makes no sense. The Jim Ryan / Herman Hulst PlayStation won't be visible until 2022/2023 at the earliest.

f9e.gif

Phil Spencer's leadership impact was visible really soon on Xbox. IE: Fucking dropping Kinect.
Jimbo's gonna Jimbo, and the faster you realize this, less strong will be the hit eventually.

Neofire

f9e.gif
Jim deserves the bashing, turning PlayStation into a 3rd party PC developer and putting its own platform on the back burner.

HTK

Banned

f9e.gif

Does it really matter?

ReBurn

Gold Member
Since you seem to believe that the new CEO can't change anything that the old CEO decided to do, how many years will it be before Jim Ryan is responsible? Because the way the real world works is that Sony's board started holding Jim Ryan responsible the day he took the job. If Shawn Layden was going in the wrong direction in 2019 and something sucks because of it 2 years later it's because Jim Ryan likes it enough to continue to let it suck.

mckmas8808

Banned
stop thinking, people don't do that here.

Either way, what happened wasn't bad, why are people stressing. It was a great conference with great games, if you didn't like it, move on and do something else/go to another platform - good riddance.

People are weird.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Ryan is all over the brand now. Maybe some of the games were signed before him, but the money-hats, policies, and pricing all seem like Ryan. I think we'll truly see how much he has hurt the brand for the hardcore in a few years. Obviously the PlayStation brand will remain hugely popular and successful for the masses.

FunkMiller

Sure.

But do I think things would still be better with the old management team in charge?

Yep.

I doubt we’d have had this massive farce with upgrades, that’s for certain.

assurdum

Banned
That's some serious damage control. I think a lot of the pricing and policy decisions can be laid at his feet. The games themselves aren't really that much of a point of criticism honestly, so it's kind of not the point. I think people may be critical of more Marvel, which could possibly be something else happening under his leadership.

Mostly we're all just guessing. At the very least, he should be able to articulate what his vision is for Playstation, even if we don't see the results yet. So far the communication, PR, marketing, events, showcases, interviews - have all been poor.
I'm not exactly love Ryan and I agree in some extents but based on what are poor the bolded parts? Because I don't think it's objectively true what you generalize.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
stop thinking, people don't do that here.

Either way, what happened wasn't bad, why are people stressing. It was a great conference with great games, if you didn't like it, move on and do something else/go to another platform - good riddance.
Sorry, but this line of thinking probably only applies when dealing with something you actually like. Are you going to consider this line of thought, each time you want to critique an entertainment product? Chances are no.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Phil Spencer's leadership impact was visible really soon on Xbox. IE: Fucking dropping Kinect.
Jimbo's gonna Jimbo, and the faster you realize this, less strong will be the hit eventually.

What universe are you living in, Broheem?! The 3 worst years in XBox history (2017 - 2020) occured under Phil Spencer's leadership. Kinect would likely have been axed by anyone considering XBox One sales started stagnating in the second half of 2016.

Phil Spencer became the annointed one once he got the greenlight to write fat checks in 2019/2020.

Jim Ryan's performance thus far will largely be judged on how his acquisitions pan out. Firesprite, Haven, Firewalk etc...We'll start seeing those games in a year or two.

Stooky

WELL, like it or not, thats how it takes to get the ball rolling when making games. 2ish years pre production, project gets green light, 2-3 years of production. They usually don't step in to change the course of development unless the project is going really bad. OP is correct.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
What universe are you living in, Broheem?! The 3 worst years in XBox history (2017 - 2020) occured under Phil Spencer's leadership. Kinect would likely have been axed by anyone considering XBox One sales started stagnating in the second half of 2016.

Phil Spencer became the annointed one once he got the greenlight to write fat checks in 2019/2020.

Jim Ryan's performance thus far will largely be judged on how his acquisitions pan out. Firesprite, Haven, Firewalk etc...We'll start seeing those games in a year or two.

Phil's Xbox record:

- Dropped Kinect
- Gamepass
- Lowered price of the console below competition (remember, xbox one was usd50+ a ps4)
- Elite Controller
- Xbox One S and X
- Gamepass
- Fucking Bethesda (Doom, TES, Starfield, Fallout among many others are Xbox exclusives)
- Most powerful current gen console
- Most affordable one
- Gamepass
- Fucking Backwards Compatibility

and Gamepass. Please. Xbox came from selling less than 50k units in a month on US and TVTVTV Mattrick. Worst years my balls.

Last edited:

MacReady13

Minus the fact they seem to not want anything to do with their past (where are the PS1/PS2 classics like they had on PS3???) I think Playstation is doing perfectly fine! Yesterday's conference was great and showed they still really haven't lost their touch with big 1st party exclusives and great partnerships with their 3rd party devs! Shows they don't need gamepass to kick the shit out of Microsoft and proves that with 1 conference they are all the talk last 24 hours.

JLB

Banned
See, Im not criticizing Jimbos. He is actually doing the right thing, going for big license games and sequels. But be aware that this is a Sony that is willing to take less risk. This is not a Sony that will throw a AAA 200 million dollars budget on a new concept. The times Sony invested on innovative games like Shadow of the Colossus are probably gone. And the most clear proof of that is Insomniac. They are an Spiderman / Marvel factory now. Compare it with Double Fine; I dont know what the heck are they going to do next. And thats a freaking awesome thing.

Phil's Xbox record:

- Dropped Kinect
- Gamepass
- Lowered price of the console below competition (remember, xbox one was usd50+ a ps4)
- Elite Controller
- Xbox One S and X
- Gamepass
- Fucking Bethesda (Doom, TES, Starfield, Fallout among many others are Xbox exclusives)
- Most affordable one
- Gamepass

and Gamepass. Please. Xbox came from selling less than 50k units in a month on US and TVTVTV Mattrick. Worst years my balls.
Look another phil spencer girlfriend.

Phil's Xbox record:

- Dropped Kinect
- Gamepass
- Elite Controller
- Xbox One S and X
- Gamepass
- Most affordable one
- Gamepass

That's all true, and I think even the most diehard Phil haters have to acknowledge his accomplishments now (and we haven't even really seen the bulk of the results of his purchases take form yet).

The real question is, how fast did these things occur? It's taken a long time honestly. Many years of not a lot happening.

Stooky

Phil's Xbox record:

- Dropped Kinect
- Gamepass
- Elite Controller
- Xbox One S and X
- Gamepass
- Most affordable one
- Gamepass

You forgot to add Phill is potty trained to that list

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
That's all true, and I think even the most diehard Phil haters have to acknowledge his accomplishments now (and we haven't even really seen the bulk of the results of his purchases take form yet).

The real question is, how fast did these things occur? It's taken a long time honestly. Many years of not a lot happening.

Considering the state of Xbox when he got in charge, damn he made an spectacular job. Not perfect, but who's perfect anyways? I think the acquisitions and general investment on games are starting to roll out, and very nicely: Flight Simulator, Psychonauts 2, and some of the usual suspects even this year, which is a bad one for gaming releases in general.
One very interesting side effect of gamepass is that actually provides -to some extent- freedom to the developers, and maybe that will end up being the biggest differentiator this gen.

f9e.gif
He was also the one that got the PC ports started but people ignore that too.

sublimit

Banned
How many games that came out during Shawn Laydens leadership were also planned by the leadership before him?

yurinka

f9e.gif
AAA games published today or next year require 4 to 6 years of development. So pretty much all the games we saw in the event (with maybe Wolverine and some remaster as exceptions) were already greenlighted before 2019.

GoWR started when they released GoW 2018, Spider-Man 2 when they released Spider-Man (or at least it has its leads), Horizon 2 when they released Horizon 1, etc.

Wolverine has the leads of Morales, so pretty likely is the only one that started last year. And I think it's the best decision Marvel, Sony and Insomniac could make.

See, Im not criticizing Jimbos. He is actually doing the right thing, going for big license games and sequels. But be aware that this is a Sony that is willing to take less risk. This is not a Sony that will throw a AAA 200 million dollars budget on a new concept. The times Sony invested on innovative games like Shadow of the Colossus are probably gone. And the most clear proof of that is Insomniac. They are an Spiderman / Marvel factory now. Compare it with Double Fine; I dont know what the heck are they going to do next. And thats a freaking awesome thing.
Bullshit.

Out of the games seen in the event (plus some unannounced ones like TLOU1 remake) only Wolverine and maybe some remake/remaster has been greenlighted by Jimbo and Hermen, all the other ones were in development before they got in charge.

Jimbo and Hermen took decisions like buying Housemarque, the ones who made arcade gems like Returnal, Resogun or Nex Machina. Returnal seems pretty innovative and risky new IP and their next game will be more ambitious AAA new IP.

They also bought Firesprite, a UK studio who made VR stuff and game demos who grew a low hiring talent from Rockstar, Naughty Dog, Rocksteady, Ubisoft and others. They are working on two AAA new IPs. Which I think it's a pretty bold and risky move. Even if less than half of the staff were in SCE Liverpool, it's almost that Jimbo and Hermen reverted the closure of that studio that was closed by the previous leadership.

They are also developing AAA new IPs in at least Guerrilla, Bend, Santa Monica, London Studio, Pixel Opus (in collaboration with Sony Pictures Animation) and also signed 2nd party deals to make AAA new IP as the first games (another risky move) from Haven (ex AC/Ubi), Firewalk (ex Bungie) and Deviation (ex CoD BO) and signed a deal with Kadokawa, From Software's parent company.

Hermen said that around half of the over 25 games they have under development to be published by them are new IPs and that they will continue investing on smaller games and creative new IPs like Astro, Dreams or Death Stranding.

The previous leadership took the decision of making the PC ports. Hermen and Jimbo decided to buy Nixxes to make sure their gamedev teams don't need to waste their talent on pc ports or developing their games as multplatform and can focus on make their games for console instead.

Jimbo and Hermen also decided to invest hard on a niche genre as are the fighting games, buying EVO, creating online tournament and other related features and investing on prizes and streaming them.

There is nothing wrong with Insomniac: since they started with Spider-Man their games had 87, 85/84 and 88 in MetaCritic and their sales skyrocketed since Spider-Man. Double Fine since were acquired their games scored 79/79/83, 74/71/68/76, 89/87/90/89 in MC and we don't know their sales but must be way smaller than the Insomniac ones. The best rated recent game is a PS2 3D platformer sequel and the next Insomniac games to be announced very likely will be PSVR2 games (and all their previous VR/AR games have been new IPs).

so Shaun is responsible for horizon, 2018 god of war, last of us 2, GoT, Astro bot, returnal, ratchet and more?

I don’t get why we are supposed to be angry at the old Sony leadership of Shaun and Andrew house.

Andrew House was the CEO of SIE (the whole company also including hardware or services) from 2011 until the end of 2017. Shawn only was in charge of SIE Worldwide Studios (the game development part) from March 2018 to September 2019 and before that he was CEO of SIE America (the regional division for America, he wasn't in charge of the global strategy).

Last edited:

MacReady13

Phil's Xbox record:

- Dropped Kinect
- Gamepass
- Elite Controller
- Xbox One S and X
- Gamepass
- Most affordable one
- Gamepass

Yeah and WHY did Phil implement most of these things? Cause Xbox was getting their asses handed to them by Sony. Desperate times call for desperate measures.
And now that he has implemented all these changes including fucking gamepass, where is Xbox? Still in 3rd fucking place. It's ALL about the games, and Microsoft (so far) under Phil has delivered jack fucking squat. Yes, he purchased a tonne of studios but that is because Microsoft opened the coffers and said go buy whoever. Fuck them for taking the money as well...

splattered

Sure, but the difference is we didn't see a lot "wrong" with what Phil did during that time outside of what... cancelling Scalebound? Closing Lionhead Studios? A few things here or there. It really does feel like the current Sony management are actively making a lot more strange/bad decisions in that same amount of time.

SaucyJack

f9e.gif

This is factually wrong.

Notwithstanding the nonsense of pinning the success or failure of a multi-billion dollar business on a single executive ……. Shawn Layden was Chairman (not CEO) of Worldwide Studios for a year after having been CEO of SCEA. The President of Worldwide Studios at the time was Shuhei Yoshida who was, of course, replaced by Hermen Hulst.

The reality, of course, is that much of the success of PlayStation involves a group of leaders who have been in and around that business in a variety of roles for decades i.e. Kuturagi, House, Layden, Ryan, Yoshida, Cerny, etc. most of whom are still there.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Yeah and WHY did Phil implement most of these things? Cause Xbox was getting their asses handed to them by Sony. Desperate times call for desperate measures.
And now that he has implemented all these changes including fucking gamepass, where is Xbox? Still in 3rd fucking place. It's ALL about the games, and Microsoft (so far) under Phil has delivered jack fucking squat. Yes, he purchased a tonne of studios but that is because Microsoft opened the coffers and said go buy whoever. Fuck them for taking the money as well...

How old are you? 5? Do you think Phil Spencer or Jim Ryan think in football-like terms? Like: Oh, im third, da fuck! They are high level managers, they get big fat bonus when accomplishing certain objectives. In the case of Phil Spencer, saving Xbox from a total debacle. Xbox is "third" with Phil. With the previous management it would be history.

Last edited:
Do we really think a new CEO coming in wouldn't make any changes? Have we forgotten that Phil dropped Kinect? A sweeping directive across all of Xbox... which he basically put an end to. Ryan may not have been a part of making those deals, but his had his hands on them now. To what extent, we don't know and probably won't ever. All this is speculation, so you're either going to fall into one of 3 camps: 1. You dislike Ryan, so Ryan has jack shit to do with this 2. You like Ryan, so you give him some or even all of the credit 3. You don't really care. I don't really care.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I thought it was a good conference, it just wasn't full of all the imaginary things that don't exist that people are constantly begging for. No biggie. Your comment reminds me of the Mattrick to Spencer transition that took a while to work itself out. Only problem here being i don't see current Sony leadership doing ANYTHING to right the ship... if anything it just feels the same or worse two years later.

That's my whole point though. You don't really feel the effect of leadership until 3+ years after they get established because games take 3+ years to make.

The things to judge Jim Ryan + Herman Hulst on are...

- Their response (or lacktherof) to GamePass.
- Firesprite, Haven, Deviation, Firewalk, and Housemarque deals.
- PSVR2, which could have been axed if they didn't believe in it.

We're still very much living in the Shawn Layden era of PlayStation.

Last edited:

ripeavocado

Banned

f9e.gif

One thing people are not commenting:

what is Shawn doing right now? is he working? if so isn't it a big step down from being a chairman at Sony Computer Entertainment?

SaucyJack

That's my whole point though. You don't really feel the effect of leadership until 3+ years after they get established because games take 3+ years to make.

The things to judge Jim Ryan + Herman Hulst on are...

- Their response (or lacktherof) to GamePass.
- Firesprite, Haven, Deviation, Firewalk, and Housemarque deals.
- PSVR2, which could have been axed if they didn't believe in it.

We're still very much living in the Shawn Layden era of PlayStation.

No we are not. See my previous response.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
so Shaun is responsible for horizon, 2018 god of war, last of us 2, GoT, Astro bot, returnal, ratchet and more?

I don’t get why we are supposed to be angry at the old Sony leadership of Shaun and Andrew house.

Sure, but the difference is we didn't see a lot "wrong" with what Phil did during that time outside of what... cancelling Scalebound? Closing Lionhead Studios? A few things here or there. It really does feel like the current Sony management are actively making a lot more strange/bad decisions in that same amount of time.
Wait what? Phil didn't do many wrong things? He was (still is) disastrous managing internal teams and IP. During the whole Xbox One generation and right into this one. Look at their output. Crackdown 3? Just one mainline Halo game for Xbone and one that is arguably the most hated by the fans, and then Halo Infinite in development hell forerver.

No real effort to build up on established IP, one single IP of note from Rare and it launched bare bones, and then Battletoads? W.T.F. Lost their long-term deal for COD DLC first on Xbox, didn't do anything to keep Insomniac which had Sunset Overdrive developed exclusive for them.

Phil Spencer copied PS Plus and created Games with Gold and it's always been miserable. Phil Spencer was totally inept in acquiring Remedy Studios which had a long relationship of exclusivity with them. Launched Quantum Break to failure (it started selling well but then crashed hard. Sea of Thieves outsold it and that's not saying much.

Phil Spencer launched the Xbox One SAD edition. That was worse than a misfire, it was simply sad. A total mess. The beloved Xbox One X, for all the praises it got, and deservedly so, completely failed to turn things around for Xbox. More expensive console, less profit, if any.

Phil Spencer launched Game Pass in 2017, that didn't do much for Xbox either, and the jury is still out if it'll ever accomplish what it's expected of it.

Edit. Recently it came to light he made a deal with Square-Enix for 1 year exclusivity of Tomb Raider 2 for 100 million back in 2015. Terrible business.

Last edited:

MacReady13

How old are you? 5? Do you think Phil Spencer or Jim Ryan think in football-like terms? Like: Oh, im third, da fuck! They are high level managers, they get big fat bonus when accomplishing certain objectives. In the case of Phil Spencer, saving Xbox from a total debacle. Xbox is "third" with Phil. With the previous management it would be history.
I'm 41. And no, I do think Phil is a smart guy. I just don't think what he is doing with the Xbox brand is a good thing. He is trying to remove it all for the Gamepass brand. I loved Xbox when the original Xbox and the 360 was around (pre Kinect). They cared about gamers. They cared about GAMES and getting the best games into the hands of Xbox gamers. They made sure their console was easy to develop for and it showed in the high quality 3rd party releases. Now it is ALL about Gamepass. Xbox seems to me to be a thing Microsoft want to distance themselves from and focus on a fucking subscription service! Fuck that and fuck Microsoft if that is where they want to go.

Top Bottom