• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Render unto Sony that which is Sony's, and unto indies that which are indies. Amen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinobi602

Sep 28, 2010
www.twitter.com
Update #1:

Sounds like a misunderstanding.

I'm NOT going to weigh in on Mr Olick (whoever he is), but this is not the case in my experience.

UNLESS Sony are funding you, there is NO right/reason for ownership/IP transfer, and has NEVER happened to me EVER.

So, I'm sorry, this just hasn't been my experience at all!

RCR dev:

more:

Above was retweeted by Shane Bettenhausen who works for SCEA

No. To me it reads like any inventions regarding the development tools for the PS4 are property of SCE. It's actually standard contractual obligation for any employee (I have such a clause at my work).

Much ado about nothing.

Back in the day id used to license their engine for free or very cheap. Their policy was that you could edit it in any way that you want but whatever improvements you came up with id owned and could use on future versions of the engine. This was in place when half life was made.

The wording in this sounds similar. What i read is that if you "invent" something in terms of development on a ps4 dev kit that Sony can then incorporate it into their dev kit. I would be shocked if that wasn't true of Microsoft and nintendo also (or the unreal engine for that matter) . I don't believe this has anything to do with controlling IPs.

I'll ask around.

Seriously?

We're making GAMES for PS4 and not one has a clause about ownership transferring to SCEA OR SCEE.

This is NOT the case, the only thing that IS owned by Sony, which is the same as Microsoft and Nintendo are the SDK' and the hardware, which is why most companies GIVE it away, so developers aren't paying for something they NEVER own.

------------------------------

He was an Advisory Board Member for Sony itself. Apparently also used to work for Naughty Dog and id Software.

Works for Red 5 Studios now: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=2754079&authType=name&authToken=tLjN&trk=prof-pat-cc-name

Update: Some other devs chime in denying:

RCR dev:

more:

Above was retweeted by Shane Bettenhausen who works for SCEA

Original tweets:

https://twitter.com/JonOlick

Spazznid

Aug 6, 2011
Wow, that sucks.

:::EDIT:::

So it was all a misunderstanding, and we can go back to praising Sony...

:D

Hoo-doo

Banned
Sep 29, 2011
Strange that this is the first and only indie who came forward with this. This should be rubbing a lot of other developers the wrong way.

Interested in how this develops.

Marcel

Feb 16, 2012
Hiding the nasty bits in fine prints and NDAs. Not surprising coming from Sony, or any indie-pandering corporation really.

Phire Phox

Banned
Dec 20, 2012
It seems Microsoft is going uphill and Sony beginning to go downhill. Oh, how the tides are turning.

Bedlam

Oct 4, 2011
Can someone clarify what that means? What I get from this is that Sony owns everything that you choose to release on PS4 ... that can't be right. Right?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Nov 7, 2007
I can't tell from the tweets but is it ownership of the IP, or ownership of the PS3/PS4/whatever build?

Yeah, cant be complete ownership, otherwise, I dont see how indies would be able to publish to consoles other than PS4.

Alx

Jan 22, 2007
How would that even work for multiplatform games ? Like when the Oddworld team makes their port on PS4, does it give Sony the ownership of the Oddworld characters ? Or is it only for new content ?
It seems too strange/restructive to be true.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Apr 23, 2010
Sounds like someone not proficient in legalese kicking up a stink. These sorts of things are over almost all platforms.

I remember dancing around signing something once that actually had the phrasing "to be broadcast on Earth, throughout the known galaxy, and universe beyond" with no hint of humour or irony behind it.

Lothars

Dec 5, 2008
Regina SK Canada
Strange that this is the first and only indie who came forward with this. This should be rubbing a lot of other developers the wrong way.

Yeah that's the thing I find strange if he's the only one that brought it up and it hasn't been mentioned previously from any other dev.

Dibbz

Oct 6, 2007
How can they do that? That's crazy if Sony expect anything you make for the console to belong to them.

davidbloop

Jul 19, 2013
Australia
All Next Gen Materials, all inventions and developments that utilize or incorporate ^ and any derivatives of ^ are the sole property of SCEA

And what exactly was removed with the ^ parts

It could have said anything

"all inventions and developments that utilize or incorporate Ken Kutaragi's mum and any derivatives of Ken Kutaragi's mum are the sole property of SCEA"

I wonder why he removed those parts

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
May 14, 2013
Scotland
Not sure exactly what this means in practice but you would have thought we would have heard more about it if its really bad.

Alucrid

Banned
May 30, 2009
Sounds like someone not proficient in legalese kicking up a stink. These sorts of things are over almost all platforms.

I remember dancing around signing something once that actually had the phrasing "on Earth and throughout the known galaxy and universe" with no hint of humour or irony behind it.
Hold on let me ask my lawyer.

CALS

Neo Member
Jun 9, 2013
What does that really mean? They own the code once it hits Sony's system?

How does it limit the dev and publisher?

Skeff

Jun 2, 2013
Leeds, UK
I don't think this is at it seems, as if it was every indie game on PS4 would be a permanent exclusive as Sony would own it. Pretty sure there are a lot of multiplat indie games on ps4.

rouken

Dec 21, 2011
Philippines
maybe other indies aren't saying a thing because Sony gave them some benefits to put their game on PS4 like free marketing, or budgets and stuff.

Douche McBaggins The 3rd

Apr 17, 2011
It seems Microsoft is going uphill and Sony beginning to go downhill. Oh, how the tides are turning.

It's easy to go uphill when you're at the absolute bottom and it's easy to go downhill when you reach a zenith high.

We still need more stuff to come out before we can make a real appraisal on this. We need more indies to come forth. Any willing to?

Jun 5, 2013
Surely this is with regards to the hardware Sony "loaned" to him? It would be a very strange clause to have in an indie contract, especially when other indies are developing multi-platform games.

Edit: woah read it wrong. Could it mean Sony owns it for the Playstation release?

brandnew

Sep 14, 2012

Especially when outspoken devs have talked about how great it is working with them, like Jon Blow. I would think if this was a huge issue, someone would have said something.

I can't tell from the tweets but is it ownership of the IP, or ownership of the PS3/PS4/whatever build?

I'm wondering this as well. From the tweets, it seems like Sony is only concerned about hardware related things, not IP. In that case, I wonder why this is such a huge problem (from ignoarance, not because I think it isn't a big deal).

Capital_Five

Aug 27, 2009
Orlando
What? I don't understand what this means. Would Johnathan Blow and Jake Kazdall and everyone else publishing on Sony really overlook this, or not care? If that's the case I'm very curious what's really going on behind the scenes here.

Kenshin001

Feb 2, 2010
Tokyo
twitter.com
And what exactly was removed with the ^ parts

It could have said anything

"all inventions and developments that utilize or incorporate Ken Kutaragi's mum and any derivatives of Ken Kutaragi's mum are the sole property of SCEA"

I wonder why he removed those parts

I wonder whay his comments were removed from the Edge article about indies at the request of Sony's lawyers?

Status
Not open for further replies.