• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Replay - Fallout 3 - The best Fallout?

Humdinger

Fallout 3 was my favorite, too. Perhaps because it was my first trek through the world of Fallout. After that, things went downhill for me. I played through two-thirds of Fallout New Vegas, but I never really got into it. I tried to play Fallout 4 twice, but I couldn't get past about the 10 hour mark. I concluded that I was just tired of the world of fallout. One game (Fallout 3) was really all I needed.

Patrick S.

Banned
Fallout 2 > Fallout: New Vegas > Fallout > Fallout 3 > Fallout 4. They're all great games, and i'm a huge fan. And Fallout 4's expansion - Far Harbor, actually has a very good narrative. I'm in the middle of replaying all of them, half-way through (finished the original Fallout, Fallout 2, and a quarter in Fallout: New Vegas).

I wouldn't play any of them without mods though, the engine(s) that they're on have never exactly been state of the art, and age hasn't solved that issue.
After trying and then uninstalling loads of Fallout 3 mods, the only one I ever considered essential was the "nice weather" mod or something like that, that changed the colour of the sky and environment to more natural colours. It changed the mood of the game, but not having to look at the green tint of everything made it really worth it for me.

Patrick S.

Banned
What disappointed me about Fallout 4 was the fact that this magic and fascination, and the feeling of excited apprehension that you feel when you're heading into the unknown, was somehow absent from that game. It mostly just felt like going through the motions, and there was very little in that game that managed to truly take me by surprise or get me excited about exploring new locations. So much of that game just felt like a chore, honestly, and what made things even worse were those crafting mechanics and base building, which I just wasn't interested in doing AT ALL. I ended up playing some of that game, and it had a few decent moments, but honestly, I never even bothered to finish the main storyline, and with each attempt to play it through til the end, I ultimately grew to absolutely hate this game.

Fallout 3 was magical, but Fallout 4 sucks ass.
You are being unfair with Fallout 4. Fallout 4 is a very worthy sequel to Fallout 3. You were just fatigued by having played 300 hours of Fallout 3, and Fallout is basically more of the same.

It's what happened to me with the Forza Horizon series. I played hundreds of hours of FH3, then maybe 5 hours in FH4, and I didn't even bother installing FH5 on Game Pass. By all accounts, these are great games, but I just grew tired of them.

After trying and then uninstalling loads of Fallout 3 mods, the only one I ever considered essential was the "nice weather" mod or something like that, that changed the colour of the sky and environment to more natural colours. It changed the mood of the game, but not having to look at the green tint of everything made it really worth it for me.

I haven't gotten to Fallout 3 yet, but for New Vegas i aimed for the most polished experience possible while maintaining its original vision and content. I ended up with 25 mods that work flawlessly together, and i am more than satisfied with the result. Basically remastered the thing to be a blast to play while keeping its meaty narrative and brilliant quest design.

I plan to do the same thing with Fallout 3. Bugfixes first and foremost, then some graphic/UI polish/improvements, gunplay.

Drizzlehell

Banned
You are being unfair with Fallout 4. Fallout 4 is a very worthy sequel to Fallout 3. You were just fatigued by having played 300 hours of Fallout 3, and Fallout is basically more of the same.

It's what happened to me with the Forza Horizon series. I played hundreds of hours of FH3, then maybe 5 hours in FH4, and I didn't even bother installing FH5 on Game Pass. By all accounts, these are great games, but I just grew tired of them.
I'm not sure if I would call it that. I never actually replayed F3 after that initial playthrough in 2008, and F4 came out close to 7 years after that so I would consider this more than enough time to build up my interest in another Fallout game. And sure enough, I was really hyped about it at first and enjoyed myself enough to play it for about 100-150 hours of it in total, maybe even more than that. But I never felt so enthralled by it like I was with Fallout 3. Ultimately, after that initial hype died down, I felt that it was a letdown.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Fallout 2>1,5(mod)>1 That's it for me, that's how I will remember Fallout games for the rest of my life.
I did enjoy the 3 and New Vegas, tried 4 lately but couldn't get into it, they all pretty good Rpg games, but not the kind of Fallout I like. I prefer Oblivion and Skyrim instead of Fallout 3-4.
I think Fallout isometric and 3d games can be used to distinguish the Z and Y+ generation gamers.

Filben

Loved it when it came out back then on the X360. It was not exactly Fallout 1 and 2 in 3D but a pretty good attempt. Then came New Vegas, loved it even more.

Too bad Fallout 4 went even further from being a cRPG and became more of a action-adventure crafting game with RPG like stats.

SCB3

That game completely blew my mind back in the day. At the time when I first picked it up, I wasn't very familiar with role-playing games at all, with the only ones that I ever got into at that point being KOTOR and Mass Effect. I had a much bigger preference for simpler action games, real-time strategies, or racing games, and the only kind of open world games that I played at that point was stuff like GTA. I did play a little bit of Morrowind before Fallout 3, and was certainly intrigued by the open world design (without really realizing it at the time because I was too young and too stupid) but the gameplay was just too janky for me to ever play it for more than just a few hours.

But then along came Fallout 3, and I simply couldn't believe that a game like this could even exist. It was probably the first time since I was a little kid when I played a video game that completely threw me off guard and I just didn't know what to expect. I was so fascinated with everything that it was throwing at me. I still remember the very first time I played it - I went in completely blind, without knowing absolutely anything about Fallout other than just being aware that it exists because I've read about it in a magazine. The first hour or so went by rather slowly but I was still intrigued by the setup and the premise, it was a really novel idea to role-play as a character from the moment they were born and experiencing some snippets of their childhood. I was hooked from the start, but it really wasn't until I finally stepped out of the Vault and laid my eyes on the ruined wasteland when it started to sink in that I'm playing something truly special. Expecting a great adventure, I headed towards the nearest ruins and found my way inside a building that was labeled as some sort of a school. It was there when I also got a bit of a reality check because I honestly didn't expect the game to be so gruesome and dark, with these genuine moments of horror. And that's exactly what I felt when I found out that the structure housed a bunch of crazed lunatics whose favorite pastime was decorating the hallways with dismembered human corpses. I just grabbed any supplies that I could find, fought my way out of there, and still in shock headed towards Megaton whose residents luckily turned out to be much more friendly, if not a bit eccentric.

And then things just kinda snowballed from there. I probably spent somewhere between 200-300 hours exploring the wasteland, marveling at the sheer scale of the game and the way it continuously managed to surprise me with something new and awesome. It felt like no matter which direction I decided to pick, it was pretty much guaranteed that I would soon stumble upon something so awesome that it would be enough to fill a regular linear shooter that I was so used to playing before, and I kept getting amazed that all these quests were just little drops in this vast ocean full of adventures. I still remember randomly stumbling upon a small group of Brotherhood of Steel soldiers who were going somewhere in a hurry, and when I decided to follow them, I ended up participating in this amazing action set-piece during which we took down a Super Mutant Behemoth. Or that one time when I stumbled upon a small settlement full of panicked people who turned out to be terrorized by a bunch of giant ants. Or the first time I found the Oasis and met Harold.

It was such an amazing game and it feels like I managed to play it at just the right time, when I was already familiar with gaming enough to be able to get into a complex RPG like that without too much difficulty, but also not experienced with games with such a rich lore and expansive open worlds to be completely blown away by it. What disappointed me about Fallout 4 was the fact that this magic and fascination, and the feeling of excited apprehension that you feel when you're heading into the unknown, was somehow absent from that game. It mostly just felt like going through the motions, and there was very little in that game that managed to truly take me by surprise or get me excited about exploring new locations. So much of that game just felt like a chore, honestly, and what made things even worse were those crafting mechanics and base building, which I just wasn't interested in doing AT ALL. I ended up playing some of that game, and it had a few decent moments, but honestly, I never even bothered to finish the main storyline, and with each attempt to play it through til the end, I ultimately grew to absolutely hate this game.

Fallout 3 was magical, but Fallout 4 sucks ass.
Morrowind is still a hard game to go back to now due to its quest design and lack of knowing where to go, I’d be interested in going back to it at some point and seeing how I’d fare actually

Drizzlehell

Banned
Morrowind is still a hard game to go back to now due to its quest design and lack of knowing where to go, I’d be interested in going back to it at some point and seeing how I’d fare actually
That was one of the things I found interesting about it back in the day. I can't remember playing any game before it that actually required me to navigate the world by reading the journal and following road signs, it was pretty immersive stuff.

But yeah, every time I entered combat with anything, it was just a frustrating mess and after a while, I completely lost the plot and didn't know what to do next so I eventually stopped playing.

Last edited:

SCB3

That was one of the things I found interesting about it back in the day. I can't remember playing any game before it that actually required me to navigate the world by reading the journal and following road signs, it was pretty immersive stuff.

But yeah, every time I entered combat with anything, it was just a frustrating mess and after a while, I completely lost the plot and didn't know what to do next so I eventually stopped playing.
Back then I hated that, but as I've gotten older, I'm more interested in trying it out again, maybe before ESVI is out (I still haven't finished Skyrim despite owning it from day 1)

So back to FO3, the stretch from the start of GNR to the Museum of technology is really difficult, note: I am playing on very hard, I've not died yet but I'm close with little to no health items

As a reminder it goes,

• Small Super Mutant skirmish with the BoS,
  • a Super Mutant Behemoth fight, then GNR with Threedog,
  • then a big Underground train station with a lot of Feral ghouls,
  • into a raider camp into the outskirts of a Super Mutant Base, into the Muesuem itself,
  • that has a lot of Super Mutants inside.

Its a very combat heavy section and I abandoned Melee only here, theres just too many tanky enemies that I need some distance on

GymWolf

If the product is free, then you're the product.
wow-surprised.gif

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
So since I'm between jobs right now I cannot afford some of the latest releases this month until I sort out a new job and as much as I love Destiny and Overwatch, I need something to get my attention

If anyone remembers my Silent Hill threads basically I like to go back and play stuff I've missed but really should've played, this is not one of those times. Browsing through my list of games on each console, there were plenty of standouts that I've not played through fully (I will eventually play more than 10 hours of Skyrim!)and Fallout celebrating an Anniversary made the series stand out, so I figured instead of The Evil Within 2, lets go back and replay one of my favorite games ever made in Fallout 3

Now my personal history with Bethedsa games is pretty much doing the main quest then losing interest, 3 was the exception to this originally and so fuck it 100%ing it feels right this time.

I'm playing on Xbox Series X with the FPS Boost and it feels very nice, I would play on PC but my PSU is playing up on games atm for some reason (I really need an upgrade in 2023) and lets do a VAT's Melee build this time! So far I've got to Megaton
yes

SCB3

So some nice progress today:

• Disarmed the Megaton Bomb
  • Completed Chapter 1 of the Wasteland Survival Guide
  • Need to go through the Metro to Rivet City

But first I need some supplies

Stinkbug

Neo Member
It's a good game, but I think the tunnel system being so drab and mazelike, and making it hard to get from place to place in the downtown area (on the surface you keep encountering those trash piles you can't pass). I like 4 and NV better for that reason. I need to give 76 a proper shot, especially now that it has a more robust campaign. WV is a dope place, geographically

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's a good game, but I think the tunnel system being so drab and mazelike, and making it hard to get from place to place in the downtown area (on the surface you keep encountering those trash piles you can't pass). I like 4 and NV better for that reason. I need to give 76 a proper shot, especially now that it has a more robust campaign. WV is a dope place, geographically
Agreed. The metro system is so repetitive (makes sense in a realistic way) I cleared the entire map of F3 except I bailed on some of the metro stations. I just couldnt do them all.

And ya, it's so weird for an open world game like F3 to have those downtown areas blocked off funneling you from point to point.

Last edited:

Stinkbug

Neo Member
Agreed. The metro system is so repetitive (makes sense in a realistic way) I cleared the entire map of F3 except I bailed on some of the metro stations. I just couldnt do them all.

And ya, it's so weird for an open world game like F3 to have those downtown areas blocked off funneling you from point to point.
I'd been considering a replay of this game. If I do I'll try and look at how the subway system is realistically placed, that is kinda cool actually, I hadn't thought about it

Zug

NV is a (much) better RPG, but I agree that FO3 is a better adventure game, with memorable places, and a better visual identity overall.
Both games show the strenghs of their respective makers.

I had Fallout 2 on mac when i was a kid, but i didn't take it seriously. Just clicked around. Got really in to Fallout 3 though.

anthraticus

Banned
dude f3 sucks nuts especially given right after f3 we got fnv, which is an actual decent RPG /FO game and much more in line with the old isometric fallouts

Last edited:

SCB3

I'll be honest, this playthrough is making me appreciate the game more, its been a long time since i played it properly (Since before Mothership Zeta released in fact), so today I

1. Completed all but the last part of the Wasteland Survival Guide, this is a great quest and gives you a lot of great start game items and caps
  2. played tag with Mirelurks to plant a device in some of their Eggs
  3. Travelled the Long Metro tunnel to Rivet City
  4. Got some fun new weapons from Minefield and Super Mutants, back to Melee
  5. finished off all the Side Quests and jobs in Megaton

Unfortunately, the lack of caps is hurting, I found a trader with a Shishkebab that would've been a great weapon, but alas 739 caps were too much

This is making me want to play the Originals again, I can't remember much about them story wise, been ages since I touched them (I played them back to back in 2015 before Fallout 4 released), its a shame Cross Progression is also not a thing for 76 yet, I don't feel like restarting it on Xbox.

As a side note, MATN, has started a Complete playthrough of the Tale of Two Wastlelands mod, this is pretty cool from what I can see, maybe I'll also check this out once day, vid below:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
FO3 is one my favourite games of all time.

I downloaded it on GP, but was disappointed to see it was just the base game without the DLC. Why doesn't Microsoft make the complete edition available on GP? That goes for Oblivion as well.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
FO3 is one my favourite games of all time.

I downloaded it on GP, but was disappointed to see it was just the base game without the DLC. Why doesn't Microsoft make the complete edition available on GP? That goes for Oblivion as well.

That's how they make money. Hook you up on the base game, make you buy DLC and microtransactions.

You would'nt think this is from 2008 sometimes, it looks stunning still at times

Fallout 3 and New Vegas look very, very nice on Steam Deck. New Vegas was the first game I've tried when I got the Deck and I was super impressed.

calistan

I got into Fallout 3 because somebody told me it was like Cormac McCarthy's The Road. Definitely the best Fallout for me. Played through it twice, but the second time I got stuck in The Pitt - couldn't turn in the quest and had no saves left outside of that DLC, so that was the end of it.

I regretted choosing the Bloody Mess perk, because absolutely everything I shot exploded into tiny chunks. When I killed Three Dog he made a terrible mess all over his DJ booth, so I collected as many of the parts as I could and reassembled them on the mixing desk. Brain in the middle, eyes either side, various limbs and organs artistically arranged.

After that a random woman took over his radio show, and kept complaining about "some bastard who killed Three Dog". I always wondered if she'd cleaned up his studio.

That still exists today as Warframe, which is surreal to me sometimes
Yes, I remember reading somewhere that the team went on to create Warframe.

Have you seen that trailer for the new I.P from the Warframe devs?

It's called SoulFrame, I think.

Last edited:

SCB3

Yes, I remember reading somewhere that the team went on to create Warframe.

Have you seen that trailer for the new I.P from the Warframe devs?

It's called SoulFrame, I think.

Yea Soulframe looks interesting, Warframe has some good combat options so I'm excited to see what a more focused game from DE looks like

Warframe actually was a direct Sequel to Dark Sector originally and still has ties to it:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Damn, I must have repressed that in my memory because I completely forgot how asinine it was to navigate the more dense urban areas in this game. Once I unlocked enough fast travel points, I didn't even bother walking around there too much.

Fallout 4 had the same problem, actually. I remember getting super annoyed when trying to navigate around some collapsed buildings and blocked off streets in that game too. Especially around that area with tall scyscrapers.

So since I'm between jobs right now I cannot afford some of the latest releases this month until I sort out a new job and as much as I love Destiny and Overwatch, I need something to get my attention

If anyone remembers my Silent Hill threads basically I like to go back and play stuff I've missed but really should've played, this is not one of those times. Browsing through my list of games on each console, there were plenty of standouts that I've not played through fully (I will eventually play more than 10 hours of Skyrim!)and Fallout celebrating an Anniversary made the series stand out, so I figured instead of The Evil Within 2, lets go back and replay one of my favorite games ever made in Fallout 3

Now my personal history with Bethedsa games is pretty much doing the main quest then losing interest, 3 was the exception to this originally and so fuck it 100%ing it feels right this time.

I'm playing on Xbox Series X with the FPS Boost and it feels very nice, I would play on PC but my PSU is playing up on games atm for some reason (I really need an upgrade in 2023) and lets do a VAT's Melee build this time! So far I've got to Megaton
The best Fallout is Fallout 2 with Killaps restoration mod followed by New Vegas and the first Fallout.

Wildebeest

Bethesda are just not good at creating reasons for all the "cool shit" in their games existing, or explaining why things happen like they do. They have moments where things seem to work at the small scale, but their decisions in the overall experience of what is going on at the larger scale and with the main plot just make me angry. Frustrating because in 1 and New Vegas this is done particularly well. 2 is more of a "just a bunch of cool shit we like" version of Fallout, but still has an overall story that makes sense.

Last edited:
Is new vegas less clunky\have better gunplay than f3?

Add mods 🤷‍♂️ I can give you my list to make it play better than vanilla Fallout 4, let alone vanilla 3.

Tho vanilla NV has better gunplay than vanilla 3, but i wouldn't play any of them vanilla. The engine they're on requires some manual love to make them feel good today.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Fallout 3 is better and worse than you think.

Timestamps:

Intro - 0:00
Opening - 17:15
Vault 101 - 21:55
Level Up - 38:29
Open vs Linear - 42:59
Karma & Companions - 47:15
Megaton - 50:53
Big Town - 1:07:14
Arefu - 1:11:59
DC Ruins - 1:19:50
BoS & GNR- 1:24:42