• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Call of Duty sales slowing down, Modern Warfare 3 down year over year

rCIZZLE

I don't want resident evil to be a goddamn shooter first. I want it to be a survival horror game with decent shooting mechanics. Now it's looking like gears of resident duty 6.

It's this notion that every game, every franchise has to be a super success like COD and their games should be formed around that idea that bugs me.

I should note that I'm a COD fan. MW3 is my least liked one by far, but I'm a fan.

The RE you want is long dead and COD had nothing to do with it lol. Companies want successful games, again COD had nothing to do with that. All the series did was show what kind of numbers are possible if you create something that appeals to almost everybody. Maximum number of satisfied gamers isn't a bad goal for any project.

People seems to still like sport games.

Even though sports games are actually rehashed nobody seems to care. EA sells the same exact game every year of a generation... then do it again when the new consoles hit.

The RE you want is long dead and COD had nothing to do with it lol. Companies want successful games, again COD had nothing to do with that. All the series did was show what kind of numbers are possible if you create something that appeals to almost everybody. Maximum number of satisfied gamers isn't a bad goal for any project.
the problem here is as you stated it showed what "appeals to everybody" and it just so happens that what that is, leads to developers making very similar games. That's the problem here.

Why does every game have to be a success like COD? A big budget spectacle. There's nothing wrong to aspire for more but trying to surf the same wave as COD is lame to me. Instead of adding things that COD has to make your game better, make your gamer better using what you've already built and expand further. Instead of making your game a full out action game, continue making the survival horror aspect better, and then add the other stuff around that core. Rather than making that other stuff the core.

And you say COD had nothing to do with it when capcom has specifically cited it.

COD is influencing a lot of things, and IMO it's for the worse. And like I said, I enjoy COD.

Bgamer90

Banned
People seems to still like sport games.

Even though sports games are actually rehashed nobody seems to care. EA sells the same exact game every year of a generation... then do it again when the new consoles hit.

But not every sports game gets "copy, pasted, and rushed out". Ones that do well are usually viewed as being good improvements from their predecessor. See "NBA 2K11".

To be honest, sports games make more changes to gameplay on a yearly basis than most games of other genres with most doing nothing more than just changing up the game's story for each iteration.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Imagine there were a group of guys and one day they decided to go sell their shit, and everyone in the world bought it thinking it was the best shit ever and the guys made more money than anyone had ever dreamed. Now imagine everyone else saw this and thought "hey I'm full of shit, why don't I make that kind of money". So then they all started selling their shit and then suddenly everybody is just buying and selling nothing but shit and the world is covered in it.

So blame the copycats. It's not Call of Duty's fault that everyone wants those types of sales figures. What are they supposed to do? Sell less copies on purpose so people won't copy them?

rCIZZLE

the problem here is as you stated it showed what "appeals to everybody" and it just so happens that what that is, leads to developers making very similar games. That's the problem here.

Why does every game have to be a success like COD? A big budget spectacle. There's nothing wrong to aspire for more but trying to surf the same wave as COD is lame to me. Instead of adding things that COD has to make your game better, make your gamer better using what you've already built and expand further.

And you say COD had nothing to do with it when capcom has specifically cited it.

COD is influencing a lot of things, and IMO it's for the worse. And like I said, I enjoy COD.

Can you give a list of these very similar games? If such a list exists, are there not alternatives in each given genre?

Games are expensive to make. If they're to make a flashy AAA game then it better appeal to a lot of people. Again, adding elements that people enjoy isn't a bad thing such as the prestige and rpg leveling system.

You want a survival horror RE... RE4 wasn't that and had nothing to do with COD.

More people are being drawn to gaming and it's getting more accepted as a real hobby instead of the niche nerdy one it used to be. I don't see how it's negatively contributing to the industry.

test_account

XP-39C²
Indeed. I actually look at CoD games almost like an e-sport, seeing how many people who play it for year after year.

But not every sports game gets "copy, pasted, and rushed out". Ones that do well are usually viewed as being good improvements from their predecessor. See "NBA 2K11".

To be honest, sports games make more changes to gameplay on a yearly basis than most games of other genres with most doing nothing more than just changing up the game's story for each iteration.
CoD games are not "copy, pasted, and rushed out" if that is what you're saying? It takes two years to make each CoD game, a lot of work goes into each game. Improvements/tweaks, new campaign, new maps, new weapons etc. etc.

Scapegoat

The people predicting the franchise peaked with Black Ops had no idea. They were pretty much right by luck and guessing instead of using any sort of analysis.
Right on. I wonder how many of those same people also "predicted" that Black Ops would sell less than MW2.

Could the decrease be attributed to the decline in the game industry as a whole year over year rather than just Call of Duty fatigue?

Can you give a list of these very similar games? If such a list exists, are there not alternatives in each given genre?

Games are expensive to make. If they're to make a flashy AAA game then it better appeal to a lot of people. Again, adding elements that people enjoy isn't a bad thing such as the prestige and rpg leveling system.

You want a survival horror RE... RE4 wasn't that and had nothing to do with COD.
RE4 was much much more survival horror than RE5. RE4 was actually quite a comfortable blend between the 2 ideas of survival horror and shooter. RE5 tipped the scaled to the latter, now RE6 is looking like full blown shooter.

Name games similar to COD? Almost every single shooter that has come out post-COD success (this includes 3rd person shooters), they all have very similar mechanics because god forbid someone deviate from it.

Once again, I'm not getting into list wars, I don't see how you can deny that it has influenced many many games, even some in different genres. Even Square looked to it for FF13.

My overall point is, what COD has shown developers is that taking risks or doing something new and innovative is pointless when a game like COD exists and shows that you can get away by doing what they do over and over. So what do they do? They include some or many of the core machanics and overall style that COD has into their games, and then they hope for the same outcome, and if they get it, you know what the next step is? Yearly releases of the same shit over and over.

I don't blame COD, I'm a fan, I don't blame the devs of COD, but I just don't see what world you live in where you can't notice the impact the game has had on the types of games being made, the types of budgets being used to match the spectacle, and so on and so forth.

Bgamer90

Banned
CoD games are not "copy, pasted, and rushed out" if that is what you're saying? It takes two years to make each CoD game, a lot of work goes into each game. Improvements/tweaks, new campaign, new maps, new weapons etc. etc.

No I was just stating what many gamers who don't play sports games think.

test_account

XP-39C²
No I was just stating what many gamers who don't play sports games think.
Ah ok, like that. Yeah, i didnt mean to say that sport games dont improve for each new game. I just ment to say that the basic gameplay is the same (which makes perfectly sense), yet people buy the game each year. People still buy the games because they want the "smaller" improvements and new rooster of players etc.. There are changes to CoD games as well, so it's not the same game each year, so i understand why people keep buying those games as well.

rCIZZLE

I disagree. COD gives new campaign, mp maps, guns, perks, game modes, and various other gameplay tweaks with each release. That's a lot more than you'll find with the typical, if not every, sports series. Sure, they don't make drastic gameplay changes but it's a somewhat realistic shoother and there's not much you can do that'll still keep it in the genre. They can't add overshields and jet packs like you can get away with in a game like Halo.

test_account

XP-39C²
put sticks and stones back in the game and gun game and it will sale as much as black ops.
It is already back :) Well, not sticks and stones due to no crossbow in the game, but "One In The Chamber" and "Gun Game" are back. There is also a new version of Gun Game where you cycle through 6 weapons three times.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It is already back :) Well, not sticks and stones due to no crossbow in the game, but "One In The Chamber" and "Gun Game" are back. There is also a new version of Gun Game where you cycle through 6 weapons three times.

I thought you were referring to BO2 and I was about to be upset.

And infected. One good thing MW3 has done is put those games in community playlists instead of separating them into private matches or wager matches. I don't believe it was like that at launch.

Mrbob

Unfortunately the cash cow is still there. A 4 percent dip from 20 million sold is still around 19 million. I don't think Activision is shedding any tears yet. Especially since CoD Elite is more than likely making up the difference in lost sales.

We'll have to see where CoD levels out at. I wouldn't be surprised if the leveling point is still well over 10 million a year sold.

Aguirre

Indeed. I actually look at CoD games almost like an e-sport, seeing how many people who play it for year after year.

In Fifa's defence, it has gotten better with each passing year.

ElRenoRaven

I don't think anyone really thought it'd be sustainable for much longer.

It'll still sell a lot for the next few iterations though. Assuming it doesn't just immediately crash.

This post summed it up perfectly

It was coming too. The quality has been going downhill since they started the multiple studios making them and cranking them out yearly. More so cause Treyarch just sucks. I never liked a single one they made. Then you throw in that Infinity Ward is now a shell of what it was and that it took how many studios to make the last one here and the writing was on the wall.

Hopefully Activision will re-examine the way they've been going about handling the franchise and take a step back give it to one developer and let them take their time. Hell use the others to create some new franchises. Diversify a bit.

test_account

XP-39C²
I thought you were referring to BO2 and I was about to be upset.
Just caught your edit. Yeah, i was only referring to MW3, no idea if BO2 has the crossbow :)

And infected. One good thing MW3 has done is put those games in community playlists instead of separating them into private matches or wager matches. I don't believe it was like that at launch.
Yep, Infected is pretty fun in my opinion. I dont know if it was like this at lauch, i didnt notice these modes before maybe ~1 month ago, but i havnt payed much attention to the modes outside "standard matches" (or something like that).

Bgamer90

Banned
I disagree. COD gives new campaign, mp maps, guns, perks, game modes, and various other gameplay tweaks with each release. That's a lot more than you'll find with the typical, if not every, sports series. Sure, they don't make drastic gameplay changes but it's a somewhat realistic shoother and there's not much you can do that'll still keep it in the genre. They can't add overshields and jet packs like you can get away with in a game like Halo.

Don't really see how that's much more than what the popular sports games do.

Sports games on a yearly basis usually...
1. add one big new gameplay feature
2. add a ton of gameplay tweaks
3. make improvements to graphics, audio, and presentation
4. add a new game mode and/or revamp an exisiting game mode

rCIZZLE

RE4 was much much more survival horror than RE5. RE4 was actually quite a comfortable blend between the 2 ideas of survival horror and shooter. RE5 tipped the scaled to the latter, now RE6 is looking like full blown shooter.

Name games similar to COD? Almost every single shooter that has come out post-COD success (this includes 3rd person shooters), they all have very similar mechanics because god forbid someone deviate from it.

Once again, I'm not getting into list wars, I don't see how you can deny that it has influenced many many games, even some in different genres. Even Square looked to it for FF13.

My overall point is, what COD has shown developers is that taking risks or doing something new and innovative is pointless when a game like COD exists and shows that you can get away by doing what they do over and over. So what do they do? They include some or many of the core machanics and overall style that COD has into their games, and then they hope for the same outcome, and if they get it, you know what the next step is? Yearly releases of the same shit over and over.

I don't blame COD, I'm a fan, I don't blame the devs of COD, but I just don't see what world you live in where you can't notice the impact the game has had on the types of games being made, the types of budgets being used to match the spectacle, and so on and so forth.

RE4 was pretty much a full blown shooter compared to the older entries. They made the same reference when talking about Dragon's Dogma btw... and that doesn't seem like a COD clone. They meant they're going to make more mass appealing games.

Can you name some COD clones or at least ones that are very similar? Because when I look at shooters I see more variety than I recall ever having.

I never denied that certain popular, crowd pleasing aspects of the series didn't find their way into other games. I didn't play FF13 at all, how is it like COD?

I'm really going to need a list of COD clones for the bold to be a valid point. Preferably successful ones since that's what you suggested is their reasoning for becoming a COD clone.

Already said I acknowledge that COD has positively influenced some games by adding aspects that the masses enjoy. GoW3, for example, added team deathmatch which is overwhelmingly more popular than the elimination playlists. Maybe they got the idea from COD, maybe not, but a lot of people like that change.

Sports games usually add one big new gameplay feature, a ton of gameplay tweaks as well as improvements to graphics and audio and the addition of a new game mode and/or the revamping of a exisiting game mode each year.

Don't really see how that's more than what the popular sports games do.

NHL 12 added breakable sticks. It seems that Madden removes gameplay features as often as they add them. Also, sports games have a tendency to do extra dirtbag stuff to either squeeze more money or force us to upgrade such as online passes, buyable stat boosts for online modes, and quickly closing servers. I used to buy Madden every year and never really noticed any major upgrades in the graphics or audio department (not counting new generation obviously).

Edit: just read your above post. You're still assuming the people who rate it have played the game.

I do assume that most people who care enough to target a game like MW3 for this kind of campaign either play the game or at least have played older games in the series and gotten disillusioned, yes. Scan through the comments on all those negative MW3 reviews and rather than "COD suxx ruining industry!!!" most of them (while still equally hyperbolic) are either bitching about gameplay/design decisions in MW or about the treatment IW got from Activision -- that is, they're critiques coming from people who have actually played and followed the series.

Again, obviously this decline is still pretty minor and that User Score on Metacritic is overblown compared to the game's overall reception amongst fans, but it reflects the shifting attitude: instead of general excitement, people are taking a critical eye to the latest installment that started before it released and didn't abate once it was in their hands. This thread is full of backup: people who have played every COD game for years and are getting negative about this year's installment in particular.

Maybe not, but if players are becoming less satisfied with each yearly entry I'd really hope Activision would step back and realize too frequent installments helped kill two formerly strong franchises of theirs -- although Tony Hawk and GH were asking for more money because of those plastic peripherals.

The thing is, I honestly think Activision is probably in the right here. Nothing -- certainly not biennial installments -- was going to extend COD's reign indefinitely, and as it is Activision will have made billions of dollars over probably 8-9 years from the franchise before it dwindles to a historical curiosity. What they should be doing more is worrying about where the next franchise will come from, not trying to prop this one up.

test_account

XP-39C²
In Fifa's defence, it has gotten better with each passing year.
Yeah, i didnt mean to say that improvements werent done in sports games. I just ment to say that i understand why people buy sport games each year, and i understand why people buy a CoD game each year :) There are some types of games that people dont get tired of even if they are "the same" and gets released one time each year.

i-Lo

The thing is, I honestly think Activision is probably in the right here. Nothing -- certainly not biennial installments -- was going to extend COD's reign indefinitely, and as it is Activision will have made billions of dollars over probably 8-9 years from the franchise before it dwindles to a historical curiosity. What they should be doing more is worrying about where the next franchise will come from, not trying to prop this one up.

Activision: Yesh! Now, what other new linear IP can we invest in, followed by minimal upgrade in tech and innovation from then on and annualize that sucker till we run it dry and to the ground.

I don't think there will be a behemoth of an IP before the next gen.

None of this is Call of Duty's fault. The blame lies solely at the feet of publishers who see the modern battlefield imagery and fast paced action and assume they can simply replicate these aspects and expect the same sales as CoD.

CoD was a breakout success that captured an enormous audience with solid gameplay and some great ideas in the multiplayer department, like the level-up and perk systems, which really hadn't been done so effectively before.

All these publishers need to get it through their thick fucking skulls that this 'me-too' attitude is going to get them fuck-all in the long run, and they need to accept that to get CoD numbers they need a great, unique concept that is put in the market at the right time.

CoD's success was like catching lightning in a bottle. Until these publishers get this through their heads they'll continue to chase desperately after the 'Call of Duty audience', and that's nobody's fault but their own.

jman2050

It's too early to say whether there's a significant decline coming, especially considering how volatile the gaming industry seems to be nowadays. The best anyone can say is that the series has probably reached its ceiling already.

Sojgat

They have nothing to worry about.

skylanders_spyro_adventure.jpeg

It's too early to say whether there's a significant decline coming, especially considering how volatile the gaming industry seems to be nowadays. The best anyone can say is that the series has probably reached its ceiling already.

I doubt it has reached it's ceiling COD:BLOPS2 will probably sell more than MW3, nothing beats Sam Worthington.

kswiston

So, like, when I was busy researching for a post about just how aggressively shitty Mass Effect 3 actually is, I discovered that there's actually one game with a worse critic-to-user gap*: Modern Warfare 3.

*That is, what you get when you subtract the user percentage score on Metacritic from the Metascore.

The problem with your conclusion is that the metacritic user reviews tend to reflect 4chan/GAF/etc internet subculture rather than a true concensus. Often the hate for these titles comes as much from what a developer or rep has said in some interview or another as from the game itself. Whenever you see a game get bad press via a stupid dev comment in an interview (that only the sort of people who browse GAF will ever be aware of) the game is bombed with low scores on both Metacritic and Amazon.

Mass Effect 3 has a 9.4 average from over 2000 voters on IMDB, and an 8.5 average from over 1000 voters on Gamespot. Not exactly that far off of the critical reception in those places. IMDB especially is likely to get votes from people who aren't heavily involved in the gaming hobby.

Modern Warfare 3 had an 8.5 with over 3000 voters on IMDB, and a 6.9 with over 3000 voters on Gamespot. Lower than some of the reviews, but not nearly on the scale of metacritic.

EDIT: Even on Giant Bomb, the user average for Mass Effect 3 is a 4/5. Modern Warfare 3 has a 3.6 average. I think what you get with some Metacritic and Amazon user reviews is a concerted effort from a vocal minority to convince fence sitters that their opinion is the majority opinion. Metacritic and Amazon reviews are high traffic, so those are targeted. IMDB users do the same thing for some movies (less so for TV and games since those are not the site focus).

J-Rzez

Traditional smash'n'grab Activision practice. They kept going for the cash-in without adding a substantial amount of freshness and content and this is what happens. They're going to "Tony Hawk" or "Guitar Hero" it at this point.

Also, people are probably fed up with "modern warfare" by now to boot. I expect a resurgence of WWII shooters "next-gen". I never thought I'd say it, but I'd kill for a WWII FPS on the FB2 engine with tons of gore, detail, and environmental interaction.

Penguin

I don't think the 4% decline is that big of a deal.

I think the 50% fall off from last March is a bigger concern if the game begins to lose its tail.

jrDev

They are right also with the part of video streaming. Most of my PS3 time is used for watching Hulu/Netflix...

Kinyou

So... they try to take elements that people enjoy about CoD and put it in their games. How is that a bad thing? Like I said to he other guy, there is still a variety of different shooters.
It's different. Most of the developers seem to take elements out of the game instead of adding new ones. Look at Ninja Gaiden 3 for example.

fourteetwo

Neo Member
This is some good news to read about. Also, were they surprised that consoles are being used as other things besides for gaming?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The series doesn´t have to die, but I want it to be much less succesful. The hysterical sales figures for it have resulted in way too many developers and publishers shifting focus to trying to ride on the CoD wave. I know that this industry will always follow trends since so few dares to be leaders, but this is one trend that does absolutely nothing for me. CoD success just isn´t good for me.

Total hyperbole bullshit. So how many publishers are releasing military shooters and trying to "ride that wave" all of a sudden? I guess I was dreaming when BF3 and CoDMW3 were the ONLY games of their kind to release this past holiday season.

Games like Rayman Origins, Batman AC, Drak Souls, and Catherine must've been a figment of my imagination, because all of the publishers want CoD.

I personally didn't buy MW3, but I still might pick it up, because they're fun games. A lot of gamers love to bitch about the "same game' being released year after year, but the funny thing is gamers really don't mind playing the same shit warmed over as long as releases are spaced apart.

Ramirez

Do you want sports games to add jetpacks and overshields? -_-

Top Bottom