• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report claims Nintendo management scheming to get rid of Iwata

http://nintendoeverything.com/report-details-supposed-turmoil-within-nintendo-management/

A report published on Japanese website Business Journal details alleged turmoil within management at Nintendo.

The article claims that there’s a shared recognition of Iwata being the culprit among management. While there is a strong desire to bring games/franchises like Mario to smartphones, Iwata is strongly vetoing the idea. Iwata reiterates that “Nintendo’s strength is in unified development of game hardware and software”, stubbornly rejects the “net” (seems to reference how smartphones don’t use physical media since they download games), and fixates over “game consoles” – perhaps in light of his pride as a former developer.

Hiroshi Yamauchi, the previous president of Nintendo, passed away last fall. Apparently, no one remains who can defy Iwata. There are also rumors of management scheming to get rid of the president.

Another insider quote shared by Business Journal claims that there’s cultural friction based on how Iwata comes from outside the company (maybe given his origins at HAL Laboratory?). He continues to be involved with software development even after becoming president and there is a feeling of helplessness among “native” Nintendo executives.

Another point worth mentioning: supposedly, managers who oppose Iwata would want Yamauchi’s first son to become Nintendo’s president

Comments? First time I have heard of Yamauchi’s first son, anyone knows what he has been doing that makes him Nintendo president candidate?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
In any corporation with negative numbers like this, it wouldn't be surprising at all to see people wanting to move on.

Hatchtag

Banned
I don't think Iwatas doing the best job at the moment either, but putting Mario and other franchises on smart phones is a terrible idea.

Freeman

Banned
It is surprising how long it is taking Nintendo to get rid of Iwata. Maybe they just don't have a good replacement.

Nintendo is falling behind the competition at an alarming rate, not to mention the fact the market for portable consoles is collapsing, while the market for traditional consoles(best case scenario) isn't getting any bigger.

They have so many things they need to fix before becoming competitive as platforms holders that it is time for them to start considering if its worth it.

There is also the fact that even if they do most things right it doesn't guarantee they will be able to beat Sony/MS come nextgen.

Chittagong

Gold Member
That's not how it works. Significant shareholders and the board of directors scheme to get rid of CEOs, not the management. Top management has no say in it.

Wii Tank

This kind of stuff sickens me. I strongly believe in Iwata's vision for Nintendo, as roughly as it's doing right now, and would absolutely hate for them to crack and develop crappy smartphone games to appease some whiny shareholders

Boney

Banned
Hiroshi Yamauchi, the previous president of Nintendo, passed away last fall. Apparently, no one remains who can defy Iwata
This doesn't make any sense
Didn't the Yamauchi family sell their shares as well last year or am Or am I disremembering?
Doesn't make any sense to get his son (isn't he a son in law?) either way.

fahr

If Iwata gets fired and mario starts showing up on smartphones, then it's the beginning of the end for nintendo.

JoeM86

This was discussed ad nauseum in the Nintendo "profit" thread. General consensus is that it's an inaccurate report.

gngf123

Would rather they didn't. As soon as they have someone in charge who listens to their crazy shareholders the company is going to go to shit.

This was discussed ad nauseum in the Nintendo "profit" thread. General consensus is that it's an inaccurate report.

Ah, good.

Kyzon

Iwata's been around for some of Nintendo's best years. It kinda seems like those trying to get rid of him have no vision for the future. So you replace him right now, then you just have someone else in place with possibly worse numbers as they would have to make up their own plan since they wouldn't follow what he's trying to do.

CTLance

I remember another thread on gaf talking about this somewhere. Still to early for my tastes, I need something more substantial.

Wake me when they have Iwatas head stuck on a pike and force every employee to walk past it.
Or when Iwata upends a table on the hopefuls and routs the upstart.

Sendou

Well that's quite the story that's for sure.

"Hiroshi Yamauchi, the previous president of Nintendo, passed away last fall. Apparently, no one remains who can defy Iwata."

"There are also rumors of management scheming to get rid of the president."

"Another point worth mentioning: supposedly, managers who oppose Iwata would want Yamauchi’s first son to become Nintendo’s president"

Reads like some corporate exec fan fiction to be honest but who knows what's up with Nintendo?

Regiruler

You people don't seem to realize Iwata is one of the few people who still believe in the traditional model. It would be Armageddon if he left.

leroidys

Iwata obviously hasn't done well for the company the past ~5 years, but I still firmly believe that there are much better alternative business strategies than going mobile.

daxgame

so these supposed turmoils plan to replace Iwata with Yamauchi's son? Gotcha.

guess I wasted 2 minutes of my life reading this

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Do we know anything of Yamauchi’s first son?
He currently holds 1,98% of the shares: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/information/index.html

Also credited for the following games:

F-Zero: GP Legend (2003) (Public Relations )
Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble (2000) (Special Thanks)
Pokémon Stadium 2 (2000) (Special Thanks )
Pokémon Stadium (1999) (Special Thanks )
Wave Race 64: Kawasaki Jet Ski (1996) (Special Thanks)

As for the situtation, I find this really dangerous behaviour by top management. This is not how business should be conducted.

Rich!

The day Nintendo franchises appear on mobile devices with shitty touchscreen only controls is the day I pretty much stop gaming, apart from retro consoles.

I have absolutely no interest in anything currently available in gaming apart from the Wii U and 3DS. I don't care for the western trend of cinematic bullshit which is a main factor.

I dunno. I've just become disinterested in it all over the years.

I wouldn't mind seeing Iwata be replaced by someone fresher, but what are the odds the "fire Iwata" crowd just wants someone to sign off on next Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon being F2P on iOS?

Loofy

I thought that Yamauchi's son did not want to run the company, and he was not involved with Nintendo at all.
Maybe he had a change of heart.
JFmi9j9.jpg

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
It sounds peppered with the hopeful wishes of some disgruntled forum user, based on some of the language used. "Defy"? Really?

MrBadger

If Iwata is what's stopping Nintendo games going mobile, I think it's a good thing he's still in power. Nintendo aren't doing fantastic at the moment, but putting their games on phones is a bad idea.

Also this feels like the first Nintendo doom thread I've seen since before E3.

Tripon

First, check the source of the article, it leaks back to a gaf post in the Nintendo Financials thread. One of the best examples of a GAF-->Internet-->GAF posts we'll see.

Comments? First time I have heard of Yamauchi’s first son, anyone knows what he has been doing that makes him Nintendo president candidate?

Nothing, Katsuhito Yamauchi is a producer for the Pokemon movies. He has little to no business experience. He'll be a figurehead at best for the Nintendo management to manipulate.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0945669/

Silvawuff

What's wrong with Nintendo properties appearing on other platforms? I think it's entirely possible for games like that to coexist with Nintendo hardware offerings, maybe even in compliment to each other. If anything it will just allow more people to purchase and play Nintendo games that can't or won't be bothered with the hardware, which translates to more robust business for Nintendo.

This information, if it's credible, is unsurprising.

Top Bottom