• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

REPORT - Microsoft is “Spending a Lot of Money on Something That Isn’t an Acquisition”

Sega games on Gamepass Day 1 would be so goddamn amazing and would generate so much hype. This would make Gamepass PC and console even more incredible. I think people forget Sega's strong PC presence Creative Assembly, Relic, Amplitude, Two Point, and Sports Interactive with all the football manager games(never played FM but my friend says it good). Make it happen Phil!

EA/Sega/MS studios oh man I would never unsubscribe to Gamepass.

I’ve preordered Cyberpunk. If they manage to pull that off I’m keeping my preorder anyway, because that would deserve support. Can’t see it though...

Just back the truck up for Cyberpunk, either full on exclusive, lengthy timed exclusive or buy the company. But just back the truck up. It would be a huge deal to lock that title down.

giphy.gif

Smoke6

I wonder if the pastebin about Konami is actually true.
They're not buying konami entirely but use of multiple IPs .
Something like Konami gets royalties on any game MS sells that has already been made but newly made games based on said IPs AFTER this deal konami does not get any royalties.

It's possible!
Possible that silent hill will be on Xbox.
Sony be sweatin if true.
Wouldn’t be true! MS is not into selling games so how would Konami get their royalties?

I agree that it's has to be something BIG now that MS doesn't have Halo Infinite at launch to a year after, and the only thing big enough to move systems will be Cyberpunk 2077 either on Gamepass or as a time exclusive.

Last edited:
Grubb with another Mic Drop source? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

In all seriousness though I've been an advocate of Microsoft money-hatting a big third party exclusive. It's the only tool left in the toolkit and sorely needed for them. Now I wouldn't necessarily like it but I understand the business side of it, and I also prefer to see the diehard Xbox fans have an excuse to buy the box, instead of buying the box with no excuse at all and thus setting a horrible precedent for console manufacturers going forward. It wouldn't technically be a big first party exclusive like it should be, but when it comes to MS, you take anything as a face saving measure. It better be a title of consequence, and not a Warhammer/Stalker type deal.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I don't know why I think this, but what if they partnered with nintendo - games both directions and xcloud on switch? This would be huge.......

If not, maybe its ubisoft to gamepass.....

Kerotan

It would be an insane move if they try to pull Uplay+ into GamePass it would obviously cost a ton of money upfront plus a cut of GamePass subscriptions, but that would make all Ubisoft games release Day 1 on GamePass. Xbox would have direct access to a huge library of franchises from Assassin Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Raindbow Six, The Division, Ghost Recon, to smaller ones like For Honor, The Crew, Trackmania and potential even some revivals like Splinter Cell.

This sort of deal also keeps Ubisoft multi platform, but with a home base on Xbox through GamePass. PS, Nintendo, and PC gamers would still have access to all their games with out feeling left out, while Xbox gamers get a phenomenal deal if subscribed to GamePass.

Also if this were to happen it would most certainly require a price increase to GamePass to $20 at least, which would still make it the best gaming deal available both content wise and price wise.
Ubisofts library can be regularly be bought for dirt cheap. It would be future games day 1 that would be a big deal.

Alan Wake

They should do a third party deal to get some exclusive content until their own first party games are ready to ship in 2022. I don't know what Series S/X owners are expected to play otherwise that I can't play on my Xbox One.

Moonjt9

“After spooking Sony with low cost moves because of better designing and manufacturing engineers all Microsoft needs is another big push.”

I’ve seen some stupid things in my time but holy hell this nonsense takes the cake.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
So they might actually be developing games ?

Right, because they dont already have what, a dozen studios now making games?

Imagine if they paid for a 5 year exclusive on gta vi .......and put it on gamepass......lol

Ogbert

It will be Gamepass related.

I don't know why people haven't twigged this yet. The cheaper S and Gamepass is MS' key strategy.

They're probably trying to do deals that will bring something like Cyberpunk 2077 to the platform.

Grubb also said that they were going to remove the gold requirement to play online and that isn't happening, sometimes I think he just gets caught up in things and guesses to try to sound like he knows more than he does. Isn't MS starting up another studio? couldn't that be what the money is being spent on?

Sweep14

I agree that it's has to be something BIG now that MS doesn't have Halo Infinite at launch to a year after, and the only thing big enough to move systems will be Cyberpunk 2077 either on Gamepass or as a time exclusive.

Well, with CDPR stance about exclusivity, good luck MS...

Right, because they dont already have what, a dozen studios now making games?

Imagine if they paid for a 5 year exclusive on gta vi .......and put it on gamepass......lol
You DO know that such a deal would require Xbox to compensate in full the expected loss in sales on Playstation hardware, right?
Xbox literally does not have enough money for that.

Sweep14

What they can do is what they did with FIFA at Xbox one launch : Offer it for free with the console. But then Sony could offer the same promotion though.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Probably on Timdog, Colt Eastwood, Dealer, and the rest of the gang. Didn't know that they're this demanding.

It could as well be EA Play for Gamepass, that should be a money drain.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
If reports are true that Sony was spending truck loads to other publishers to tie up exclusives content. They could say fuck it and do the same.

then us consumers gain fuck all. Well besides list warriors
If Microsoft gets exclusive content, it's not anti-consumer

Last edited:
I would hope it's something coming to Gamepass day one (or something else) and not buying any sort of exclusivity from a 3rd party. The faster that shit can die, the better.

If nothing else, this thread proves most Sony warriors are 13 and under lol.

They really do make me want to not buy a PS5. It must be rough not having the money to buy both consoles, but it's really not hard to see how both sides doing well benefits their hobby - lack of funds does not have to equate to lack of common sense...

Top Bottom