• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

REPORT - Microsoft is “Spending a Lot of Money on Something That Isn’t an Acquisition”

vdopey

If nothing else, this thread proves most Sony warriors are 13 and under lol.

They really do make me want to not buy a PS5. It must be rough not having the money to buy both consoles, but it's really not hard to see how both sides doing well benefits their hobby - lack of funds does not have to equate to lack of common sense...

I guess it depends what side of the fence your leaning towards, some of us have more disposable income than others, I am not rich, but I am not stupid enough to buy 2 fairly similar consoles, without at least there being a good reason to buy one over the other or buying both.

Even if I was on the fence, you see the truth is you catch more bees with honey than vinegar, when I see stuff like this:

After spooking Sony with low cost moves because of better designing and manufacturing engineers

I mean how can people not come into this thread and take the piss, this is the analysis of the poster, its hilarious as anything, it screams of desperation, yet you think "sony warriors" are 13 and under, I am sure there is a bunch of tween warriors on both sides tbh.

Some of us are just here for some correct and good analysis by savvy enthusiasts and / or professionals in the industry, also links to good and interesting articles / news without wading through the wasteland of games sites - I personally cant wait until the consoles are released and the initial thirst is dealt with, just for some sanity. Ive allowed myself to get goaded into rubbish a few times now, monkey brain kicking in and taking over.

Last edited:

Flintty

Shame, I’d love to see Bungie back where they belong.

Maybe this ‘non acquisition is more contract related (would they pay Bungie to make the next Halo, for example?).

Well, with CDPR stance about exclusivity, good luck MS...

Doesn't matter what they say. Business is business, and they are a good, well-run company. If Sony is rumored to be paying $750 million for GTA 6 1-month exclusive, CDPR is not going to say "No!" to MS if they drive a truck filled with $1 billion up to their office.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
You DO know that such a deal would require Xbox to compensate in full the expected loss in sales on Playstation hardware, right?
Xbox literally does not have enough money for that.

They do, big coffers ms has. Gta v made 6 billion on all platforms combined, so a console exclusive would maybe be 2 or 3 billion. But unlikely still.

Mobilemofo

I wonder if the pastebin about Konami is actually true.
They're not buying konami entirely but use of multiple IPs .
Something like Konami gets royalties on any game MS sells that has already been made but newly made games based on said IPs AFTER this deal konami does not get any royalties.

It's possible!
Possible that silent hill will be on Xbox.
Sony be sweatin if true.
Nah. That's not gonna make Sony sweat. Not by a long chalk.

Paracelsus

Nah. That's not gonna make Sony sweat. Not by a long chalk.

If Sony felt strongly about their own first parties, they wouldn't bribe Final Fantasy and Grand Theft Auto.
They'd just let people rip their clothes and break through doors to buy Sony's first parties.

Microsoft did that too. They tried Lost Odyssey, it was a good game but nobody cared. Blue Dragon, was okay. Infinite Undiscovery, okayish.
Ultimately, they said "screw this" and stole Vesperia, SO4 and FFXIII.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sony should build some new studios and just create such an army of first party exclusives that Microsoft can't spend their way out of it

I think they've already done that. There aren't enough A+ studios in the world for MS to buy their way to that level. And Sony hasn't just bought all their studios already "finished" either, they've built them up and let them grow into what they are today (with some exceptions, like Insomniac, but you could argue Sony helped build that studio too).

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
I could see them making a deal with someone like Capcom or Sega to just put all their releases on Gamepass day 1 and lock them into that agreement for at least a couple years. It'd be a good get, and in advertising it'd be attractive to be able to say "Play the latest releases from MS + EA + Sega through Gamepass Ultimate".

It would be a much bigger deal if it was Activision or Ubisoft but I do not see either of them taking that deal.

Kinda wish they would use some of that money to make another original studio though.
No more studios. I want games now. There are plenty of titles 2-4 years out.

That's not happening and it would totally suck if it did happen.

On one hand I would laugh my ass off at the obnoxious Sony warriors that were cheering for Sony moneyhatting timed exclusives or exclusive content from every 3rd party they possibly could.

On the other hand it would be totally shitty for all the normal gamers that just happen to prefer PS5. Xbox would also be wasting a bunch of money that could be put to better use since Xbox players would gain nothing from taking it away from other gamers.
Just like MS did BIG money getting big third party deals ( remember GTA for a year exclusive and DLC) with the Xbox360, does obnoxious Xbox warriors where rubbing it in those "ponys" every change the get😉

Last edited:

Bridges

No more studios. I want games now. There are plenty of titles 2-4 years out.
Give a man a fish vs teach a man to fish

If they blow a bunch of money buying up exclusives we're just gonna have this same conversation three months from now. I'm not saying they shouldn't, it's probably in their best interest to get some third party exclusives, but the time to secure those probably isn't 2 months before launch, assuming they're intended to supplement the lack of launch titles.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Propping up GamePass until it reaches critical mass is going to be costing them a fortune. Just consider that their entire first-party development effort is geared to support it, plus on top of that they need to buy support from third parties as well as pay out whatever ongoing pay-for-play arrangements they make with partners.

What MS are offering is mainly impressive because its an absolutely terrifyingly expensive thing to establish as a viable long-term business.

Humdinger

The only purchase that would make sense, at this stage, would be a game that would be exclusive to their platform and would be released either this holiday or early 2021. They're hurting because of the loss of Halo Infinite, and they really have no next-gen games to entice gamers to buy their system (well, I guess there's the Medium and Scorn, although neither of those are big enough to be on the marquee).

It is certainly in MS's history, to buy exclusivity. It's in Sony's too, but MS has a lot more cash to burn than Sony does, and I remember the early 360 days, when MS was buying up plenty of exclusives. "Money hatting," they called it. Maybe we'll see a little late 4th quarter money-hatting by Xbox.

FMX

Propping up GamePass until it reaches critical mass is going to be costing them a fortune. Just consider that their entire first-party development effort is geared to support it, plus on top of that they need to buy support from third parties as well as pay out whatever ongoing pay-for-play arrangements they make with partners.

What MS are offering is mainly impressive because its an absolutely terrifyingly expensive thing to establish as a viable long-term business.

You are correct but remember they are still selling those games as well. Not everyone has game pass. Just imagine how many copies Halo Infinite etc will sell when it releases on the PC and the ecosystem.

Mobilemofo

If Sony felt strongly about their own first parties, they wouldn't bribe Final Fantasy and Grand Theft Auto.
They'd just let people rip their clothes and break through doors to buy Sony's first parties.

Microsoft did that too. They tried Lost Odyssey, it was a good game but nobody cared. Blue Dragon, was okay. Infinite Undiscovery, okayish.
Ultimately, they said "screw this" and stole Vesperia, SO4 and FFXIII.
I just see them as grabbing what they can. Sony had better not go all arrogant again. I want xbox to succeed massively. Really apply the pressure to Sony. Consumers are the winners.

Aladin

Consolidation amongst japanese game developers cannot be ruled out. You need not give buy a company with money, if you are willing to split stock.

Top Bottom