• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: More Women Own Videogame Consoles Than Men in US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razmos

Well with their lower average wages compared to men I can understand why they'd rather buy a cheap console instead of an expensive high-end gaming PC

/s
tumblr_m82zewXcAh1rn95k2o1_500.gif

marrec

Banned
900 people across the population of America would give you a confidence level of 95% with a margin of error of around 3%...

This thread is fucking hilarious.

Kids need to learn statistics.

Madness

I can believe this. These days, many women and girls games just as much as guys, even if they're not as visible. Additionally though, the one caveat I have is the percentage is small, and also, remember, single parent households have increased in the US, and most children live with their mother primarily. So that also skews things. Anecdotally, I know at least 4 women myself who don't game at all, but going by Facebook or Instagram, they bought consoles for their kids to play.

But this just highlights the importance of women in gaming. They're no longer a marginalized niche, but often equally representative or even a majority for a lot of gamers.

Yrael

They only poled like 900 people for one.

That's actually quite a decently sized sample, statistically speaking. If it's an independently picked and random sample, then that gives a margin of error of roughly 3%.

Edit: Beaten.

900 people across the population of America would give you a confidence level of 95% with a margin of error of around 3%...

This thread is fucking hilarious.

Kids need to learn statistics.

i think most of us are taking issue with the wording of the survey in relation to the interpretation of the result.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
do you really need a written and detailed argument about why its ridiculous to think more females than males are going out to buy and play playstation/xbox?

Yes, actually. You think your stereotypical, outdated, preconceived sexist notions are more scientific than actual research? Based on what?

It's fucking amazing that even when presented with empirical evidence, people refuse to believe evidence in front of them if it conflicts with what they think they know.

But seriously, the data is interesting and I wonder how publishers will explain catering for men in AAA games.
They don't seem to know how to really appeal to anyone outside of that group and that probably has a lot to do with the fact that they've honed and focused their efforts on what a narrow but predictable (and contracting) swathe of the male market responds to for so long. Regardless of what the data says and whether it's fully accurate or not, that tack won't hold up in the long run. The trends all point toward a gaming userbase that is not dominated by males.

What's with so many people saying "It must be the moms for their kids"? Most gamers are adults, kids who play games are the minority, so if a household has game consoles, chances are they are for the adults; there are a lot more women over 18 playing games than boys under 18. And 44% of all gamers are female, so why would it be strange that they are buying game consoles?

I raise my eyebrow at that result but not like I have any statistical evidence to say otherwise.

More women into gaming is a good thing.

writeandwrong

Neo Member
Not buying that this is true for the entire US population. I'm pretty surprised that people here actually think it to be true. Are most here female? Wouldn't you think there'd be an even split of women vs men here posting if it were true?

Based on the reaction this thread has gotten so far, hell no.

900 is enough to determine wat over 300mil ppl own, or don't own...

Nah
Do you have any idea whatsoever about statistics? Do you even have a clue on what statistics experts can tell accurately about even large populations by polling even relatively small amounts of people?

No offense, but serious questions. People generally really don't have a clue about statistics and how they work.

Yes, actually. You think your stereotypical, outdated, preconceived sexist notions are more scientific than actual research? Based on what?

It's fucking amazing that even when presented with empirical evidence, people refuse to believe evidence in front of them if it conflicts with what they think they know.

sexist? are you kidding me?

Cognitive dissonance: the movie.

Edit: seeing this thread, let's never pretend again there isn't a problem with women in VG enthusiast circles.

I'm a woman with 6 and 2 handhelds. Will eventually pick up a Wii U and a XBone so I'll be at 8 and 2.

Also no kids. All consoles for me and my uses.

Guri

Report: More Women Own Videogame Consoles Than Men in US

FYI I own 4 game consoles, female

http://segmentnext.com/2015/11/04/r...&utm_campaign=Feed:+Segmentnext+(SegmentNext)

The substantial quantity gap between men and women in the videogaming from a decade ago has greatly reduced in modern times, and more women are starting to engage themselves in videogames.

In the US, it seems that as far as console ownerships are concerned, the amount of women owning a gaming platform has far surpassed men.

A survey conducted by Pew Research Center tries to evaluate the popularity of different technological gadgets and their ownerships in the USA. One section focuses on console ownership – mainly Xbox and PlayStation.

According to the survey, 40% of the adults report having a console in their households. What’s interesting is that 42% of American women own a console, whereas ownership for men is slightly less common at 37%.

Households that earn less than $30,000 annually are less likely to own a game console, whereas more than half of the households earning $75,000 and above own at least one.

As far as portable gaming devices are concerned, things are much more balanced.

The survey reports that ownership of portable consoles like the PlayStation Vita or Nintendo’s 3DS have stagnated since 2009, with 14% of American men and women owning at least one such handheld gaming platforms.

The survey confirms the general consensus that videogame popularity has substantially grown among females in the West. The industry’s marketing scope has also shifted noticeably towards the trend, with majority of current generation videogames now containing gender diversity.

It is really great to know this. Also great that you own four consoles. I hope you have lots of fun with them. Don't let others try to diminish this.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

No I have a pretty good idea where you're coming from because you use "females" and "males" instead of women and men.

Regardless, here's the evidence. Go on then. What's your counterargument for this empirical evidence?

writeandwrong

Neo Member
Since no-one else will explain why it's absurd to think this could possibly be true, I'll do it.

It's because women
have vaginas

Mr. X

This doesn't line up with my world view, let me say the survey is bad or they are for their kids or something.

myco666

Wow this thread is looking great.

Surprised by the result but when I think about it I actually know way more women who owns a console (or multiple in most cases) than men.

Breads

Banned
do you really need a written and detailed argument about why its ridiculous to think more females than males are going out to buy and play playstation/xbox? more females are playing video games these days yea, but this surveys claim is batshit insane

Nope. We don't need any argument from you. We already know your stance. All we need is the evidence that backs up your views.

SilentRob

Yes. If you'd rather just don't believe research than even fathom the idea that women could be interested in video games/digital entertainment just as much as men could simply because, hey, they are girls, that's a perfect example of sexism. It doesn't mean you are a women-hating asshole. It simply means you are stereotyping women based on their gender. Which is what sexism means.

Another thing: Jesus christ these first page responses. Look at how defensive people get because of this stuff.

No I have a pretty good idea where you're coming from because you use "females" and "males" instead of women and men.

Regardless, here's the evidence. Go on then. What's your counterargument for this empirical evidence?

lol what??? and female/male are worse than man/woman how exactly?

Yes. If you'd rather just don't believe research than even fathom the idea that women could be interested in video games/digital entertainment just as much as men could simply because, hey, they are girls, that's a perfect example of sexism. It doesn't mean you are a women-hating asshole. It simply means you are stereotyping women based on their gender. Which is what sexism means.

so me not believing that more females than males play video games is sexist? indulge me, if a study came out saying that more males than females were found to be using makeup, would i be displaying reverse sexism when i didnt believe it?

Ok so the sample size is perfectly fine.

Guess my Form 6 statistics have completely abandoned me haha.

Personally speaking my gf has had a Wii since 2009 but I see no way in which she upgrades to PS4 or XB1 for herself.

My sister on the other hand keeps pestering me about getting a PS4 for her dorm room.

Agremont

Now that's just ridiculous.

Anyway, I have no trouble believing the survey at all. I love that it's getting more equal. Everyone should get to experience the joy of gaming!

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
No, you imbecile, are you kidding me with this

awful and inaccurate survey. no way in hell is this representative of the general population
do you really need a written and detailed argument about why its ridiculous to think more females than males are going out to buy and play playstation/xbox? more females are playing video games these days yea, but this surveys claim is batshit insane
Trotting out this bullshit with nothing - nothing - to back up your statement? Something in this emperical evidence got you shook and you're now getting called out on it. You obviously don't know shit about shit when it comes to statistics.

and pull up your pants

Alo0oy

Banned
I can believe it, the amount of women that stream and ask for donations especially on PlayStation Live the Ustream channel are filled with women hosting radio shows, painting, putting on make up all kinds of shit. On twitch streaming asking for donations to purchase their next game ect... It's .a money maker for them and if they look good you do the math.

Oh, so they're not "real gamerz"?

That, and the "real men play PC" post on GAF? I expected better.

*reads thread*
Guys oh my god

We should be celebrating! The increased inclusivity and diversification of our medium should be met with open arms not eyebrows raised!

I'm happy that games have become wide reaching enough to not only exclusively cater to one demographic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom