• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX Handheld Dimensions, Layout Info, Lack of Region Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

L Thammy

Have you already seen this? Is that a legit interview? if yes then there are plenty of new information
https://gamersplash.com/2016/09/01/...aunch-titles-for-nx-more-developer-interview/

Barely started reading this, don't know their reputation. The first thing that jumps out at me is the whole "It's easy to optimize for the NX because every NX is the same." Okay? Isn't that true for every console ever?

And then it goes into "Emily Roger's sources can't have a dev kit because they didn't leak anything interesting". Not feeling this one.

Ryoku

It's going to be so weird when the NX is finally revealed and the speculation reaches its natural end.

It has become a fact of life for me. Water is wet, death is inevitable, we don't know what the NX is.
Or it's like Wii U and speculation increases.

Can we keep the Harambe nonsense out of this thread? I have no idea how the death of one of our closest living relatives as a species turned into a huge joke. But that's the internet for yah.

It seems: More sports are coming to Mario Sports Superstars 3DS, alongside a NX version.
Oh ok. Interesting to see the difference between the two. I hope they add basketball.

I just realized Nintendo would have another chance to give us a true Mario Golf game with motion controls since they didn't do it for the Wii.

If you think explaining the Wii U to average people was hard.. (lol Wii add on)

Explaining the whole handheld/console hybrid with detachable controllers for multiplayer with TV out, dock for extra powaa and swappable buttons should be really fun.

:p

First they would have to completely get rid of the Wii brand name in order to not confuse the consumers. Come up with a different name and start out fresh. Like what others have said the name Wii U made it seem like it was a add-on for the Wii.

All they have to do is keep things simple and short. A brand new system that you can play Nintendo games, mobile (if they're going that route) and have brand new experiences all in one at home and on the go. The extra features can be explained after they got the main message established with the consumers. Obviously their message needs to be short and clear.

Their main priority is to get main message across without being overly complicated and out of tune like the Wii U.

ASIS

If you think explaining the Wii U to average people was hard.. (lol Wii add on)

Explaining the whole handheld/console hybrid with detachable controllers for multiplayer with TV out, dock for extra powaa and swappable buttons should be really fun.

:p
"What is this?"

"Well it's a device that you can play like your iPhone or PlayStation"

"But I already have an iPhone and a PlayStation"

"...oh"

Or, alternatively:

"What is this?"

"Shut up, watch this *plays BotW*"

" who do I sacrifice to get it?"

Just another random site looking for clicks by "debunking" the known rumors and telling Nintendo fans what they want to hear. There are tons of red flags.

The best part is how they claim Emily Rogers, Eurogamer, WSJ et al. can't have sources with devkits because they haven't told us the really unique, interesting feature, yet when asked what the feature is this "source" declines to share it.

Sounds like "tales from my ass" for sure.

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
so Nintendo strikes again with an under powered system, my dreams of seeing a zelda game with incredible graphics will still be a dream it seems, yes, gameplay is key, yes, artwork on the zelda games is awesome but man i wish i could play a zelda game with awesome graphics, with decent antialiasing, with decent texture filtering, all the jazz

I'm constantly in awe of games' texture filtering. It's my number one criteria for buying a game.

"What is this?"

"Well it's a device that you can play like your iPhone or PlayStation"

"But I already have an iPhone and a PlayStation"

"...oh"

Or, alternatively:

"What is this?"

"Shut up, watch this *plays BotW*"

" who do I sacrifice to get it?"

I mean a iPhone can't play a full fledged game like Breath of the Wild....

Yes I'm being technical here but bringing up the iPhone doesn't make sense.

I really don't understand the importance of the detachable controllers tbh. Not only that, the ergonomics seemingly will be awkward for most people, let alone casual gamers which would be a big turn off for them. And they've said they want to get those people back again.

Every mock-up, despite looking nice, doesn't look comfortable to hold for any extended period of time. The square top corners will be much like the NES pad where it will hurt your index fingers after time. The other problem I see, is that the controllers won't have the same layout as each other, making multiplayer awkward. How are you supposed to learn the layout of 2 different controllers, when the button placements are supposed to be natural and instinctual?

The flipped analog stick on the right side helps, but if they are going with a Sony-style d-pad, that just complicated things further.

What if the detachable controllers are strictly for the dev kits because they haven't finalized the controller layout yet? Is this possible?

I'm just trying to see how the detachable controller idea can be a benefit despite the problems it presents. And I need something better than "2 controllers oit of the box" because that doesn't hand wave the other issues by itself.

If you don't mind mockups that look like shit aesthetically, I made one which was specifically designed to show how an ergonomic design could work in both attached and detached modes (not for a sideways NES-style scheme though):

At the risk of showing how terrible I am at photoshop/paint, I made a mockup specifically showing off how ergonomics could possibly work with the detachable controllers:

Right half:
2fpiGOv.png

Note the trigger and shoulder buttons are on the "inside" of the controller, rather than the top. This makes it possible to hold a thinner control portion while still allowing easy access for the index finger. Also it could potentially allow for IR receivers on the top (a la Wiimotes) if they choose to include those.

Left half with split d-pad:
zp5vpG7.png

Attached to screen:
r83qoyD.png

Obviously it cannot attach exactly at the shoulder/trigger but it can attach "on top" of those buttons, essentially sitting on top of the controller. This allows for easy support of the screen portion during normal gameplay (aka holding the device at a 0-45 degree angle from horizontal. It might need very strong connectors in order to hold it above your head (if you're playing with it in bed, for instance) but hey, this is a shitty mockup as advertised.

I really doubt it will look like this, but so far I haven't really seen anything outside of the simple rectangular control pieces that the Eurogamer sketch showed. They don't seem terribly comfortable to me.

Edit: It wasn't until I saw these pictures in dark theme that I realized how terrible I am at paint! Yikes!

Note the proportions don't look right because the control sections have been resized to make them thinner, as they would likely need to be thinner in the width and depth dimensions in order to be held in the way I'm imagining.

Dystify

Added to the NX rumor list:

• A Mario Sports Superstars port (Source)
Reference on the leaker (NicoWav): He's a french writer who predicted two new Pokémon games are on the way just before Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire were announced. He also predicted a third-party exclusive title in the style of Bayonetta, which turned out to be Devil’s Third. The last thing he talked about was a remastered classic that is coming to Wii U, which turned out to be The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD. (Link)

All of these leaks are a little vague, but were right nonetheless which is why I'm adding the Mario sports game to the list.

The updated NX rumor list can be found here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=215758899&postcount=3056

• A Mario sports game (Source)
Reference on the leaker (NicoWav): He's a french gaming journalist who predicted two new Pokémon games are on the way just before Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire were announced. He also predicted a third-party exclusive title in the style of Bayonetta, which turned out to be Devil’s Third. The last thing he talked about was a remastered classic that is coming to Wii U, which turned out to be The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD. (Link)

All of these leaks are a little vague, but were right nonetheless which is why I'm adding the Mario sports game to the list.

The updated NX rumor list can be found here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=215758899&postcount=3056

Honestly hope its Mario Strikers, or another 3 on 3.

ASIS

PS Vita can't play Breath of the Wild nor can PS4 play on the go.

Plus Playstation doesn't have Nintendo first party games.

It doesn't have Pokemon lol.

Games are what matters in the the end. The Wii wouldn't have been so successful without Wii Sports.

Guys I'm with you, software is the most important aspect. The question is how does this hardware improve software. The main point is that it can be played like a phone, handheld, and console.

HeySeuss

If you don't mind mockups that look like shit aesthetically, I made one which was specifically designed to show how an ergonomic design could work in both attached and detached modes (not for a sideways NES-style scheme though):

Note the proportions don't look right because the control sections have been resized to make them thinner, as they would likely need to be thinner in the width and depth dimensions in order to be held in the way I'm imagining.

This would take a bit to get used to but reminds me of the n64 controller somewhat. Although I think you would almost have to hold it horizontally or at a 45° angle to make use of the shoulder button.

I guess I'm just not sold on the detachable pieces yet. Seems like it's more problematic than what it's worth considering breakage and the possibility of losing pieces.

Have you already seen this? Is that a legit interview? if yes then there are plenty of new information
https://gamersplash.com/2016/09/01/...aunch-titles-for-nx-more-developer-interview/
Yeah, I saw it. Seems like the writer just interviewed someone claiming to be an insider.
When asked if they had a dev kit specifically, he told me, “…All devs have dev kits… but we cannot talk about it… so… : I’ve no idea ^^”
Also talking about people not mentioning the unique concept on the NX complaining that nobody has said it...then he goes on to not say it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
My head says that interview is fake...

our source actually confirmed the rumor that Animal Crossing will arrive on NX as a launch title

...but my heart wants to believe :(

JoeM86

Reference on the leaker (NicoWav): He's a french writer who predicted two new Pokémon games are on the way just before Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire were announced. He also predicted a third-party exclusive title in the style of Bayonetta, which turned out to be Devil’s Third. The last thing he talked about was a remastered classic that is coming to Wii U, which turned out to be The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD. (Link)

Just to play devil's advocate. Pokémon games come in pairs and they often get showcased/reveal in May :p

L Thammy

Still reading the Gamer Splash article. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

"i I expect tons of 3rd party support and even more indie dev support on NX … but 1:1 ports of games you can play on another platform? Hm… not hoping for them… NX is too innovative for that stuff."​

lol

"GamePad 2.0… do you know that the Wii U GamePad itself has more power than a Nintendo DS?"​

Is this actually true? I thought the Gamepad does nothing itself except receive a signal from the Wii U.

Ogodei

It's a very bizarre situation when so many people talk about the type of website they are, and that they've been around for a while and are usually pretty trustworthy. This type of hoax really ruins the credibility of a site, so at the very least it will be super interesting to see what happens tomorrow.

Hype cautiously growing. Unless this is one of those cultural humor things that doesn't translate, usually if you're taking the piss and somebody calls you out, you play dumb or act coy until you reveal your hand, you don't double down and insist that you're not joking until you reveal that you are, sucks the fun out of it.

Dystify

Just to play devil's advocate. Pokémon games come in pairs and they often get showcased/reveal in May :p

Yeah as I said all of his leaks are kinda vague. I personally don't really buy into it that much. Wouldn't surprise me if he just throws out educated guesses. I mean, lots of people could probably predict the things he did.

Either way, it's a rumor list, which is why I thought it's worth adding. However vague his words were, it all turned out right. This is the first time (to my knowledge) where he outright stated a title coming out in the future, so if it's not a "Mario Sports Superstars" game on NX I'd consider him to be no longer credible. Furthermore, the game should come out not too late (like 2018 or later) and there should be a believable reason why he knew about the game (for example: there's a french team working on it).

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
If wiimote+nunchuk were instead some sort of wiichuk+wiichuk, playing simpler sideways games wouldn't mean the nunchuk just gets unplugged and set aside; it would mean more people could join in. It would also have meant more control possibilities to have the same options featured on both halves. That latter part is basically true of the one you quoted, but each half is worthless on its own and controller halves shaped like a D would not be very friendly for holding and moving unattached from each other. I don't think they'd want to completely give up the ability to play something like Wii Sports Bowling or Tennis without a very good reason.

The problem is that you can't do 2 halves that are exactly the same, i can even understand having one analog up and the other down like the xbox on the handheld, but what about buttons? One half will have them right while the other half will have them upside down and when the halves are detatched you use them horizontally hence buttons are rotated by 90 degrees, it's a mess and not casual friendly, people here aren't thinking about this seriously imo.

It's probably going to happen as well. Bill didn't say it was exclusive to the 3DS like he did to a bunch of other games. I would bank on another version of this game is happening.

I don't get why this 10do people would double down on something they knew people figured out was a joke, especially when it comes to NX.

It feels like they're serious and it will happen tomorrow.

L Thammy

"For Nintendo … NX is not just the systems, consoles or whatever… it is more an idea … An idea to change and save the video game industry. Trying to go in a new direction with a concept others will ‘steal’ … but that’s okay because all the thoughts are for saving the industry’s future… That’s always what I’m thinking of… and that’s why I have a problem with that when I hear that NX should be a PS4-like console… because NX stands for a concept… not only for a thing."​

NX is my favourite superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom