• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX to Feature PS4 -style Split D-Pad and Share Button

Dystify

Update/Edit 3: NX prototype apparently has 32 GB of internal storage. Remember: This is only the prototype and does not have to reflect the final product.

cZpI1sd.png

Original topic:
http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/08/report-nx-to-feature-ps4-style-split-d-pad-and-share-button/

j7n6QP0.jpg

Following our report last week regarding the Nintendo NX featuring advanced vibration technology and motion sensing in it’s new Wii Remote replacement controllers, Let’s Play Video Games has learned some additional information regarding the current version of the NX development hardware.
According to anonymous sources that have contacted Let’s Play Video Games following the previous report, we have learned that not only does the current NX development hardware feature a split D-Pad, unlike the solid pads Nintendo typically uses, but that the system also features a share button similar to that on the PS4.
The share button, denoted by a small icon of a camera, will apparently allow the upload of still images and video directly to Miiverse, Twitter, Facebook or YouTube. It will also be possible to save images or video to external memory devices for easier transfer to PC.
While the reasoning behind switching to a split D-Pad is currently unclear, the above header image was drawn by a source familiar with the current NX development kit and matches a description of the dev kit layout given by a second source who has provided reliable leaks regarding Nintendo products in the past.
So, are you hopeful for the chance to upload gameplay footage from NX to YouTube, or are you fearful of all the footage you upload being Content ID matched or taken straight back down by Nintendo’s legal teams?

What Emily Rogers says about this:

y2iIqo3.png

Edit: Clarification by Emily:

8flcH90.png

So she only seems to be sure about the social button. Before people go crazy over it: The split d-pad may only be in the prototype, but not the final product. Even if it's in the final NX, use it first before you claim it to be bad.

Edit 2: Nintendo Life heard similar things.

We've followed up with some sources of our own regarding this topic and, though they did not reiterate details around streaming and uploading content, did suggest that this Share / Social button is indeed a feature, also supporting claims around its placement at the opposite side of the HOME button. We've also heard that there are multiple sources around the split D-Pad on development units.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...intendo_nx_will_feature_a_social_share_button

Feel free to close the topic if unwanted.

Eolz

Great for the Share button (hopefully with at least similar features on top of miiverse: basic gif, upload to social networks, record video, etc, even if that's what the article already implies), but the D-pad sounds awful.

Emily Rogers (her account is private right now, though) says that she have definitely heard of share/social button, and at least the dev kits do have a split D-pad. She believes, though, that the D-pad will be solid in the release version.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Not okay with split d-pad. Share Button's cool.

Right Stick UNDER the face buttons though? Yes please.

Emily Rogers (her account is private right now, though) says that she have definitely heard of share/social button, and at least the dev kits do have a split D-pad. She believes, though, that the D-pad will be solid in the release version.
Oh so Emily heard the same? Share button sounds cool.

JoeM86

Miiverse should have had its own button on the Wii U so I'm fine with this.

D-Pad, however...Nintendo have had the best D-Pad for their entire life, they shouldn't change it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm all in favor of the split d-pad. I love the PS4 one. Share button, though? Useless.

I know Emily has a source or two, but I'm getting kind of suspicious about her jumping online immediately after a story is released to then say the exact same thing. It is kind of bizarre.

MoogPaul

Nintendo owns the pattent on the greatest d-pad ever and they decide to do fuck all with it after like 25 years of constant use? Not buying it.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Not a fan of a split D-pad but with it would kinda make sense if the rumor talking about the NX sides breaking up to act as controller ends up being true.

Split Dpad could turn into a button diamond.

Grok4Spock

If the controllers are detachable then the split d-pad makes sense... The d-pad can be used as action buttons when the controller is separated from the hardware...

wrowa

If each side of the pad can act as its own controller, you need some kind of symmetry. So, a split d-pad makes sense.

You should rather hope that it's still a d-pad and not actually just four separate buttons that look like a d-pad. :p

ggx2ac

If each side of the pad can act as its own controller, you need some kind of symmetry. So, a split d-pad makes sense.

You should rather hope that it's still a d-pad and not actually just four separate buttons that look like a d-pad. :p

And I remember someone complaining about the D-pad a day ago but surprisingly the split D-pad makes sense.

Share button, though? Useless.

Useless for you and I, but never underestimate how addicted people are to validating themselves on social media.

A share button is the next logical step for Miiverse. It essentially replaces the 'press home, then press miiverse button, then press...' however many steps it took to post something.

MuchoMalo

Banned
FWIW, 10k was talking about asymmetrical analog sticks a few days ago, which is funny.

Why would they go with a split D-Pad, though? Maybe it has to do with that IR patent?

I give this thread 36 hours.

DavidDesu

Share button I believe, split d-pad, not a chance.

Surely if the design allows the sides to be split off into separate gaming controllers, then the D-pad is best suited being almost like separate buttons, allowing the up/down/left/right to turn into A,B,X,Y (or whatever it is Nintendo uses), with the analogue part of each controller used for directional purposes.

maxcriden

Thanks! Perhaps this should be added to the OP as well.

Edit: thanks for adding it! ☺

Share button is great news for me, I hope it's true.

Regarding the D-Pad, I trust Nintendo about the controllers. Whatever they end up doing, it will probably be good.

mdtauk

While I doubt the Split D-Pad will come, it would bring the idea of ambidextrous controller use closer to reality.

People shouldn't complain about change. Wait and see how it's used and how Nintendo makes the split d-pad. If they have to split it then it's cool. Like someone said they pretty much had it with the N64 already.

Steejee

I can buy the social button, but I have a hard time swallowing the split d-pad, even if it is so that you can use the directions as buttons when the controller is split.

Taking all things NX with a grain of salt still.

AGoodODST

That all sounds awesome. Split D-Pad is fine, the PS4 one is great for example. The Share button sounds really good too, especially if they are expanding our options for uploading.

I wonder it will support Twitch/YouTube Gaming like the other consoles?

Neoxon

If true, the Share Button may likely be the Miiverse Button.

As for the D-Pad, while I'll miss the classic style, the PS4 D-Pad isn't god-awful. Plus it'd allow for the left part to have face buttons (of sorts).

Top Bottom