• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

News Report: Proud Boys Leader Was A ‘Prolific’ FBI Informant

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013

TOPLINE

Enrique Tarrio, the leader of the far-right Proud Boys group, previously worked as an informer for local and federal law enforcement, according to court records obtained by Reuters that indicate he helped authorities prosecute 13 individuals on federal charges.

KEY FACTS

• Tarrio repeatedly worked undercover with the Federal Bureau of Investigation on cases involving drugs, human smuggling and gambling, his own lawyer, a federal prosecutor and an FBI agent all said during a 2014 court hearing, Reuters report.
  • The right-wing leader allegedly turned informant after he was arrested in 2012 for fraud.
  • Tarrio’s sentence — he pled guilty — was reduced from 30 months to 16, something he attributed to helping investigators resolve his own case, not others.
  • In an interview with Reuters, Tarrio denied helping authorities investigate anyone and said he did not recall the contents of the court transcript.
  • “I don’t recall any of this,” he said, flatly contradicting a statement from former federal prosecutor Vanessa Singh Johannes, who worked on Tarrio’s case, who confirmed Tarrio’s cooperation to Reuters.
  • “He cooperated with local and federal law enforcement, to aid in the prosecution of those running other, separate criminal enterprises, ranging from running marijuana grow houses in Miami to operating pharmaceutical fraud schemes,” Johannes said.
  • Forbes could not reach Tarrio for comment.

Crucial Quote

Tarrio’s then lawyer Jeffrey Feiler told the 2014 court that his client was a “prolific” cooperator who helped in numerous investigations. At the same hearing, an FBI agent said Tarrio was a “key component” in local police investigations.

KEY BACKGROUND

The right-wing Proud Boys, which were recently designated a “terrorist entity” in Canada, have clashed with racial justice protesters, and attended demonstrations seeking to overturn the election. In a presidential debate, then President Trump famously refused to condemn white supremacists and instead told the Proud Boys to “stand back and stand by.” Officials are investigating the role groups like the Proud Boys played in the Capitol riot and at least six members have been charged in connection with it. Tarrio was not present for the Capitol riot as he had been arrested in D.C. two days before and subsequently banned from attending protests in the area.

WHAT TO WATCH FOR

With the group under investigation over allegations it orchestrated violence at the Capitol riot, Tarrio’s previous involvement with police will likely come under scrutiny. Reuters reports that in multiple interviews, Tarrio said that he would let police know of the Proud Boys’ plans before rallying in a number of different cities. This stopped in December when the police cracked down on the group and there is no evidence of Tarrio having collaborated with authorities since the 2014 case mentioned in court records.

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
Well this is weird news. Enrique Tarrio is being called a informer for law enforcement and helped in prosecuting people involved in human smuggling, gambling and drugs. He denies it, but the court transcript contradict his denial.

Anyways, here's the Rueters article:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Enrique Tarrio, the leader of the Proud Boys extremist group, has a past as an informer for federal and local law enforcement, repeatedly working undercover for investigators after he was arrested in 2012, according to a former prosecutor and a transcript of a 2014 federal court proceeding obtained by Reuters.

In the Miami hearing, a federal prosecutor, a Federal Bureau of Investigation agent and Tarrio’s own lawyer described his undercover work and said he had helped authorities prosecute more than a dozen people in various cases involving drugs, gambling and human smuggling.

Tarrio, in an interview with Reuters Tuesday, denied working undercover or cooperating in cases against others. “I don’t know any of this,” he said, when asked about the transcript. “I don’t recall any of this.”

Law-enforcement officials and the court transcript contradict Tarrio’s denial. In a statement to Reuters, the former federal prosecutor in Tarrio’s case, Vanessa Singh Johannes, confirmed that “he cooperated with local and federal law enforcement, to aid in the prosecution of those running other, separate criminal enterprises, ranging from running marijuana grow houses in Miami to operating pharmaceutical fraud schemes.”

The transcript from 2014 shines a new light on Tarrio’s past connections to law enforcement. During the hearing, the prosecutor and Tarrio’s defense attorney asked a judge to reduce the prison sentence of Tarrio and two co-defendants. They had pleaded guilty in a fraud case related to the relabeling and sale of stolen diabetes test kits.

The prosecutor said Tarrio’s information had led to the prosecution of 13 people on federal charges in two separate cases, and had helped local authorities investigate a gambling ring.

Tarrio’s then-lawyer Jeffrey Feiler said in court that his client had worked undercover in numerous investigations, one involving the sale of anabolic steroids, another regarding “wholesale prescription narcotics” and a third targeting human smuggling. He said Tarrio helped police uncover three marijuana grow houses, and was a “prolific” cooperator.

In the smuggling case, Tarrio, “at his own risk, in an undercover role met and negotiated to pay $11,000 to members of that ring to bring in fictitious family members of his from another country,” the lawyer said in court.

Reactions: 3liteDragon

Spokker

May 31, 2011
Could this article get him killed? He did a good thing cooperating with federal investigators in the past to bring down bad people. Now that he has some notoriety as the leader of an unpopular group, revealing his past work seems almost like revenge or an attempt to get rid of him.

I'm not surprised he denies it.

StormCell

Dec 11, 2018
Could this article get him killed? He did a good thing cooperating with federal investigators in the past to bring down bad people. Now that he has some notoriety as the leader of an unpopular group, revealing his past work seems almost like revenge or an attempt to get rid of him.

I'm not surprised he denies it.

I think you're spot on, and if I were him I'd be looking to be disappeared into a new life on the other side of the globe courtesy of Uncle Sam. I'd pick New Zealand but would settle for Antarctica at this point. I figure this dude will have a seven figure bounty next to his portrait.

Reactions: 3liteDragon

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
I think you're spot on, and if I were him I'd be looking to be disappeared into a new life on the other side of the globe courtesy of Uncle Sam. I'd pick New Zealand but would settle for Antarctica at this point. I figure this dude will have a seven figure bounty next to his portrait.

I highly doubt the Proud Boys would kill him - they might knock his teeth out, but they aren't going to kill him. They are just rowdy frat boys.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
I guess I'm talking to the guy who wrote the article. It is very dry and just the facts, so maybe I am just imaging his glee at outing the proud big leader as a snitch.
It's also reckless and dangerous to do in today's climate. But not that they care, they see opposing ideologies as the enemy.

Reactions: Punished Miku

StormCell

Dec 11, 2018
I highly doubt the Proud Boys would kill him - they might knock his teeth out, but they aren't going to kill him. They are just rowdy frat boys.
It's not the Proud Boys I would be worried about. If he was a big time FBI informant for drug and human trafficking, there's no telling who he has helped to bring down. There could easily be a million dollar bounty on his head.

MastaKiiLA

Jun 11, 2020
Being an informant usually means you have some connection to that world, right? Like you don't happen upon prosecutable information on a human smuggling ring that lands a dozen people in jail. Unless he was one of the victims that was smuggled, it sounds sus af. And yeah, he'll have a target on his back if true. Poor Boys stand by...for prosecution. Buddy is gonna roll on some of you for that sweet, sweet, witness protection now.

• Fire
Reactions: Tesseract
Nov 29, 2020
I like how cooperating with law enforcement and helping bring criminals to justice is portrayed as a bad thing.
If a government informant is encouraging these people to break the law, we have to start questioning who the real criminals are. On what basis can our government condemn these groups and call them terrorists when they are actively supporting them through intelligence agencies?

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
The question remains....Did he lick the boom boom down?

I think that is one of the most widely misheard/misunderstood lyrics. I think it's "A licky boom boom dem," as in "They [Informers] are a bunch of ass lickers."

In patois "a" can be used as a form of the verb "to be", "Dem" is Them/They, and "boom boom" is, of course, booty. "I lick the boom boom down" would be a non-sequitur at best.

Last edited:

poppabk

Jan 21, 2008
USA
I think that is one of the most widely misheard/misunderstood lyrics. I think it's "A licky boom boom dem," as in "They [Informers] are a bunch of ass lickers."
Misheard lyrics in that song - seems unlikely, it's so clear and enunciated throughout.

Dev1lXYZ

Sep 1, 2017
The extremist groups were put down after their usefulness ran out. Pay no intention to who really controls the groups though.

QuantumZebra

Dec 5, 2013
Atlanta, GA
It's also reckless and dangerous to do in today's climate. But not that they care, they see opposing ideologies as the enemy.

AFAIK it was his judge, the court, and his attorney that all came out and threw him under the bus... or just made it publicly known.

On topic: saw this a mile away.

Last edited: