• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

REPORT: The Elder Scrolls VI Is Planned as an Xbox Exclusive

Do you still think es6 will come to other than pc and Xbox?

• Yes

Votes: 75 15.0%
  • No

Votes: 425 85.0%

• Total voters

Zathalus

So you think M$ overpaid for a company to lose value once it's purchased??? I don't think yall understand how bad a business decision that is...

M$ literally bought a company to lose money according to you and you believe this because Phil Spencer said so?
Microsoft bought Bethesda to increase its first-party output to make both Gamepass and Xbox more appealing. They obviously want Gamepass to have a continuous stream of content going to it, without the need to rely on third-party games for launch day availability on Gamepass.

Releasing these AAA games on the PlayStation would be counter to what the entire goal is. That is to increase Gamepass numbers via the strategy of being the loss leader.

MilkyJoe

let it go GIF

reksveks

So you think M$ overpaid for a company to lose value once it's purchased??? I don't think yall understand how bad a business decision that is...

M$ literally bought a company to lose money according to you and you believe this because Phil Spencer said so? M$ does make terrible business decisions but the reason you purchase a company is to make your money back as quickly as possible for investors. Investors go through the law often try to go after companies for making business decisions like this.

Again, Microsoft see Bethesda as a long term investment into Gamepass and the xbox platform. Not as another publisher to then sell games on a competing platform.

There are plenty of cases where companies buy other ones for profit in the long terms or for ip/tech. DeepMind being a great example.

elliot5

Planned but not announced as one yet... Maybe they are waiting on Xbox numbers by 2025 then...
Let's consider the following article and see if this will change for Starfield and ES6:
Console sales aren't the end--all for Microsoft.. PC + Cloud by the time ES6 comes out will probably be more than enough to cover any gap between Xbox and PlayStation to meet their needs.

MonarchJT

Banned
I mean, you’re clutching at the same straws as the other dude, but you do you. Naughty Dog and Sony have never explicitly said Uncharted:TLoU is exclusive to PlayStation, but it’s definitely an implied exclusivity. This situation with Microsoft and Bethesda is completely different. ND has only ever developed for PlayStation, Bethesda hasn’t.
man....Bethesda games will now go on playstation . period. accept it...starfield is the first of the list

naughty has only developed for playstation from when they bought them as Ms did with Bethesda now.
At this point you are trolling or you have no idea of how this things works

Last edited:

FlyyGOD

Exactly. In this day and age, exclusivity stands for nothing. Xbox and PC might have it before PlayStation, but sooner or later it WILL come to PlayStation too.
I didn't know Microsoft owned the Tomb Raider IP. Elder Scrolls 6 will release on PS5 the same day God of War releases on Series X.

This recent Quake update shows me that they aren’t afraid to release back-cataloged multi platform games so long as it’s part of the marketing strategy for exclusive games. The Quake reboot will most certainly be exclusive to Xbox / PC / Cloud and they literally just marketed the fuck out of it and the reception was very positive. Once that reboot comes it could possibly persuade people to purchase an Xbox, buy it on PC, and/or subscribe to gamepass
Obviously GamePass is a tool meant to bring in titles that don't cost much money to produce. You won't get the quality 4 PlayStation studio big time games a year through GamePass it's almost impossible for it to produce enough money to support that.

Faithless83

Banned
Console sales aren't the end--all for Microsoft.. PC + Cloud by the time ES6 comes out will probably be more than enough to cover any gap between Xbox and PlayStation to meet their needs.
We had both Ori games on switch too, right? Wise choice of words, though.
Shocking news: MS investors are allergic to money. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

JLB

Banned
Do you know how to tell someone’s lost an argument? When they start clutching at straws.
How so?
TLOU exclusive IP that belongs to Sony => Bye bye Xbox
TES exclusive IP that belongs to Microsoft => Bye bye Playstation.

Loope

Yep, my comment is at fault, not the fact that we get new thread about the same game being exclusive to Xbox every week.
Why do you care? Don't enter the thread then. If it's not something you're not interest, what is the fucking point?

You see people bitching about how TLOUII won x awards, when it came out? And if they were bitching, they're wrong too. Just avoid threads you don't have an interest in.

Microsoft bought Bethesda to increase its first-party output to make both Gamepass and Xbox more appealing. They obviously want Gamepass to have a continuous stream of content going to it, without the need to rely on third-party games for launch day availability on Gamepass.

Releasing these AAA games on the PlayStation would be counter to what the entire goal is. That is to increase Gamepass numbers via the strategy of being the loss leader.
Buying a company for "1st party output" is dumb business wise. As a business man I'm trying to get "money"....

The goal probably isn't what you think it is in fact I know it's not....

It's about MONEY! Xbox keeps making bad business decisions if what you say is true and Xbox will constantly be sinking hole based off what you're saying.

I see the output of top tier games being terrible for M$ in the future all these big studios are going to produce less costly games so that M$ makes money for Game Pass which is awful.

Last edited:
Steam isn't Game Pass though and these games will be on Steam. So Mr Moose Mr Moose is absolutely correct that that the title is wrong. None of these games are exclusive to Xbox.
When someone says exclusive to Xbox, it obviously means that it will never been on PlayStation 5. Xbox and PC it THE SAME echo system therefore yes its exclusive to the Xbox Echo system. Stop pretending like you don't know what this means.

Last edited:
When someone says exclusive to Xbox, it obviously means that it will never been on PlayStation 5. Xbox and PC it THE SAME echo system therefore yes its exclusive to the Xbox Echo system. Stop pretending like you don't know what this means.
Huh??? How many Xbox games do you think are purchased on PC? How many PC people are on GamePass. I have a nice build and I don't have GamePass, not many PC players I know do.

Bethesda games sold their best on PS M$ bought a product at a high value based off what they did releasing games on PS and actually overpaid.... Do you really believe their main goal isn't Money???

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Incorrect. PC isn't a single ecosystem at all. It is an open platform. Microsoft pays commission to Valve for every game sold on Steam. Explain to me how any company pays commission for sales within in its own ecosystem. Sorry....you don't get to redefine what an ecosystem is just so you can use the word "exclusive" to suit your needs.

CeeJay

Buying a company for "1st party output" is dumb business wise. As a business man I'm trying to get "money"....

It's about MONEY! Xbox keeps making bad business decisions if what you say is true and Xbox will constantly be sinking hole based off what you're saying.
You're kinda right but totally wrong all at the same time. Money is the ultimate goal obviously but how Microsoft get to that goal is to build the Xbox brand's value so that it gains a lot of marketshare. Increased marketshare leads to increased revenue.

If it was just about making a quick buck then the big Playstation exclusives would release on Xbox.

dotnotbot

You see people bitching about how TLOUII won x awards, when it came out? And if they were bitching, they're wrong too. Just avoid threads you don't have an interest in.

So because there were trash threads in the past I shouldn't complain about trash threads now?

Game winning awards + some opinion about the game from OP has more substance than another thread based on nothing.

Loope

M$ literally bought a company to lose money according to you and you believe this because Phil Spencer said so? M$ does make terrible business decisions but the reason you purchase a company is to make your money back as quickly as possible for investors. Investors go through the law often try to go after companies for making business decisions like this.
Ooooooohhhhhh edgy. Still rocking the $ on MS, i see.

Incorrect. PC isn't a single ecosystem at all. It is an open platform. Microsoft pays commission to Valve for every game sold on Steam. Explain to me how any company pays commission for sales within in its own ecosystem. Sorry....you don't get to redefine what an ecosystem is just so you can use the word "exclusive" to suit your needs.
I never said PC is a single eco system doofus -_-

That I can use the word exclusive? Lol. You must be really upset by the reality and factual evidence that PC and Xbox is essentially the same thing. I have no clue why you even bought Steam into this. Obviously MS still gets a cut for selling their 1st party titles own there as well.

Anyways, of on the ignore list you go Jimmy. Not much to talk here with you sadly.

Loope

So because there were trash threads in the past I shouldn't complain about trash threads now?

Game winning awards + some opinion about the game from OP has more substance than another thread based on nothing.
eehhhh. Not to me, but ok. You do you. I personallly prefer not to enter a thread that says nothing to me, that's why i stay clear of many popular threads here.

You're kinda right but totally wrong all at the same time. Money is the ultimate goal obviously but how Microsoft get to that goal is to build the Xbox brand's value so that it gains a lot of marketshare. Increased marketshare leads to increased revenue.

If it was just about making a quick buck then the big Playstation exclusives would release on Xbox.
Sony would lose money releasing games on Playstation because most of their money is made off PS store and the monthly subscription...

It's almost impossible for M$ to make the money back even in the future from the Bethesda purchase without making the games multiplat.

If 100% of estimated Xbox owners had GamePass it wouldn't generate the estimated money for 3-5 big title games a year that P$ produces if the estimated amount to produce a game is $200mil.

The M$ gaming division seems like a sinking hole.

Last edited:

sainraja

If Microsoft really wanted to be disruptive, they would simply put their content on any device they possibly could. I am not saying they would go third party like Sega, they'd still have their box.

In my opinion, it would highlight the value of Game Pass even more and they'd still get money from those who just aren't bought into it yet regardless of which system they called home. Microsoft isn't that company though and for the fanboys....Sony obviously isn't either.

Last edited:

Loope

Huh??? How many Xbox games do you think are purchased on PC? How many PC people are on GamePass. I have a nice build and I don't have GamePass, not many PC players I know do.

Bethesda games sold their best on PS M$ bought a product at a high value based off what they did releasing games on PS and actually overpaid.... Do you really believe their main goal isn't Money???
They didn't buy a product, they bought the whole fucking company to make games for them. How is it the same thing?

Zathalus

Obviously GamePass is a tool meant to bring in titles that don't cost much money to produce. You won't get the quality 4 PlayStation studio big time games a year through GamePass it's almost impossible for it to produce enough money to support that.
Nonsense, it's very possible for Gamepass to make the amount of money to support 4 big AAA titles per year (but not sure why they would need to, Playstation itself doesn't even have that output continuously , they have 1 AAA 'big time' game this year for example). Assuming Microsoft can grow Gamepass to a conservative 60 million subscribers (40 million console, 20 million PC) nets them over 7 billion dollars a year. That is not even including all the extra money made from DLC, MTX, and game purchases.

Assuming 100 million dollars for your average AAA release (excluding marketing) , spread over 4 years, means you need 100 million dollars a year to fund those 4 AAA releases. Easily done, with plenty of money left over for infrastructure costs, marketing, and third-party deals.

The problem for both Sony and Microsoft isn't money (as both are making tons of cash) but rather finding or creating good development studios that can actually make 4 AAA high quality games per year. Then actually having those games justify the development costs as well.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
No. The only way it MIGHT happen is if Sony runs away with it this gen and Xbox/Gamepass tanks hard. At that point, it would make sense to release it on PS5.
That's a lot that needs to go wrong though.

Topher

Gold Member
I never said PC is a single eco system doofus -_-

That I can use the word exclusive? Lol. You must be really upset by the reality and factual evidence that PC and Xbox is essentially the same thing. I have no clue why you even bought Steam into this. Obviously MS still gets a cut for selling their 1st party titles own there as well.

Anyways, of on the ignore list you go Jimmy. Not much to talk here with you sadly.

Monsters Inc Reaction GIF by filmeditor

You bruise far too easily. Time to get some thicker skin.

If you don't understand the point of bringing up Steam as it relates to Microsoft's games on PC then you I don't think you are very knowledgeable about the gaming landscape of PC at all.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
At this point I don't care. If it is as good as the premature hype is PC will be my first choice for this type of game. If I only had an Xbox it would work. If I only had a PS5 I'm sure I could find something else to play if MS/Bethesda want to leave that money behind.

Zathalus

I see the output of top tier games being terrible for M$ in the future all these big studios are going to produce less costly games so that M$ makes money for Game Pass which is awful.
Of course Microsoft wants to make money. The current strategy for that appears to be focused on increasing Gamepass subscriber numbers on both PC and Xbox. As the higher the Gamepass numbers, the more money they make.

CeeJay

Sony would lose money releasing games on Playstation because most of their money is made off PS store and the monthly subscription...

It's almost impossible for M$ to make the money back even in the future from the Bethesda purchase without making the games multiplat.

If 100% of estimated Xbox owners had GamePass it wouldn't generate the estimated money for 3-5 big title games a year that P$ produces
Microsoft and Sony both have eco-systems that they sell games on and both publish games on their own eco-systems (and other's), they both have subscription services. They both make money in the same way it's just that Microsoft have the money to go bigger than Sony. The values of the brands and the values of the brand's assets are comparable in principle even if they are operating on different scales. Exclusive content grows market share and market share is king. As you say yourself, Sony make a lot of money off their store and subscriptions which is only possible if they have customers within the Playstation eco-system, if they have a good market share. The bigger the marketshare then the more potential customers and what if you could blow the walls off that restriction and also expand outside the console space onto other devices?

You are just considering the amount Xbox console owners as the pool for GamePass when Microsoft are thinking way bigger and wider than that. Microsoft see Xbox as something that transcends the physical domain of the console and expands outwards into the services and app territory on a multitude of other devices.

Aenima

Ofc it will be Xbox and PC exclusives, but anyone planing to play an Elder Scrolls game on console is doing it wrong. The amount of bugs these games have and the support mod community shows to the Elder Scrolls franshise make the PC the only smart platform to play it.

Bought Skyrim for PS3, after ~80h of gameplay the infamous save bug made my game unplayable. Had to wait 3 months for Bugthesda to release a patch that fixed this issue.

Bought Skyrim for PC years later with all expansions included. Still found a gamebreaking bug that made it impossible to see underwater making it impossible to complete quests where i had to pick something underwater. I fixed the issue in the same day by downloading and aplying a mod to make the water clear.

Last edited:

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I see no issue with this exclusivity because it is Sony’s decision, not Microsoft’s. If Sony allowed Gamepass on PS5, everyone could enjoy Elder Scrolls VI. Instead, Sony wants to do whatever they can to maintain barriers.

Whatever. I’ll be playing this on my 3080 equipped PC. It’ll be glorious.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I see no issue with this exclusivity because it is Sony’s decision, not Microsoft’s. If Sony allowed Gamepass on PS5, everyone could enjoy Elder Scrolls VI. Instead, Sony wants to do whatever they can to maintain barriers.

Whatever. I’ll be playing this on my 3080 equipped PC. It’ll be glorious.
I don't understand this comment. Are you saying MS would willingly put gamepass on PS5 if Sony would let them? I've seen no indication of that anywhere. Source?

They didn't buy a product, they bought the whole fucking company to make games for them. How is it the same thing?
Exactly they purchased a company... They need to make money off that company it lost value the moment they bought it because people believe they will get rid of their biggest consumer base.

That's not the direction I was going as there's not proof to what you're saying. Microsoft still sells games, so it's not like gamepass is the end-all-be-all in game sales for Microsoft. Even Sea of Thieves while having 15 million players (who also possibly are purchasing in-game currency which translates to sales) they've sold over 1 Million copies on PC (steam) alone. I'm sure, that out of those 15 million players, chances are only a fraction of them are Gamepass Subscribers, but even 23 Million gamepass subscribers is quite a bit and can equate to $1.3 billion a year at, at least $5 / month. so... it sounds quite sustainable and can assist in providing capital for AAA games to be created.

Last edited:
... This only affects Sony fanboys with no PC as Xbox = PC.

/thread

---
now if its a console Xbox exclusive...... as a person who only games on Switch and PC, (and never cares about this series but know the importance)

MEGATON...

That's not the direction I was going as there's not proof to what you're saying. Microsoft still sells games, so it's not like gamepass is the end-all-be-all in game sales for Microsoft. Even Sea of Thieves while having 15 million players (who also possibly are purchasing in-game currency which translates to sales) they've sold over 1 Million copies on PC (steam) alone. I'm sure, that out of those 15 million players, chances are only a fraction of them are Gamepass Subscribers, but even 23 Million gamepass subscribers is quite a bit and can equate to $1.3 billion a year at, at least $5 / month. so... it sounds quite sustainable and can assist in providing capital for AAA games to be created.
I just don't see the Bethesda purchase as a positive purchase for MS in fact that's why the media thought initially there is no way they are purchasing Bethesda to make big titles exclusive to Xbox.

Sony doesn't generate much money from games only about 2 billion. I do believe Sony is going to make a big push on Multiplayer games.

Top Bottom