Republican Joe Walsh to run against Trump

Arkage

Gold Member
Sep 25, 2012
Former Rep. Joe Walsh has joined the Republican primary for 2020. He was elected in during the Tea Party era and now runs a nationally syndicated conservative radio talk show and has a significant online following. He considers his two main priorities reducing the debt and limiting executive power, two former Republican norms that Trump clearly doesn't care about. But along with that, he's also attacking the President as unfit. Walsh himself trafficked in the same racist Birtherism/Muslim rumor mongering that Trump has, and apologized in an op-ed a week ago:

In Mr. Trump, I see the worst and ugliest iteration of views I expressed for the better part of a decade. To be sure, I’ve had my share of controversy. On more than one occasion, I questioned Mr. Obama’s truthfulness about his religion. At times, I expressed hate for my political opponents. We now see where this can lead. There’s no place in our politics for personal attacks like that, and I regret making them.
He also used the R word :messenger_hushed:

The fact is, Mr. Trump is a racial arsonist who encourages bigotry and xenophobia to rouse his base and advance his electoral prospects. In this, he inspires imitators.
Many of the talking points he uses against Trump are just copy-paste of what the left says. His package just comes with a tea-party flavor rather than a leftist flavor:

And despite what his enablers claim, Mr. Trump isn’t a conservative. He’s reckless on fiscal issues; he’s incompetent on the border; he’s clueless on trade; he misunderstands executive power; and he subverts the rule of law. It’s his poor record that makes him most worthy of a primary challenge.
And keeps trying to clarify his past support of Trump:

"The beauty of what President Trump has done is, George, he’s made me reflect on some of the things I’ve said in the past,” Walsh said, adding that he doesn’t actually believe Obama is a Muslim. “We have a guy in the White House who has never apologized for anything he’s done or said.”
“I helped create Trump,” he continued. “There’s no doubt about that. The personal, ugly politics ― I regret that. And I’m sorry for that.”
Trump will also be running against centrist libertarian Bill Weld, who goes after Trump in similar ways:

Weld, Walsh’s fellow Trump 2020 challenger, suggested Wednesday that Trump should be removed from office via the 25th Amendment, calling him “a clear and present danger” to the U.S. Asked Sunday if he believes the 25th Amendment should be invoked, Walsh said it should be “looked at.” “We’ve never had a situation like this,” he told ABC, referring to Trump. “He’s nuts. He’s erratic. He’s cruel. He stokes bigotry. ... The only thing he cares about is Trump. He doesn’t give a damn about America.”
While I don't think either will win against Trump, having both a libertarian and a popular conservative tea party radio show host bash on Trump for a year leading up to Republican convention has a good chance of keeping enthusiasm for Trump lower than normal, as he's now going to have to spend his Twitter War time focusing on them and their attacks. I'm guessing it'll also help keep the #NeverTrump wing of the Republican party home.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Bolivar687

JohnnyFootball

The Last of Us may be third person, but it is hardly third person.
Jan 20, 2014
Good. Trump needs a primary challenge.

pennythots

May 14, 2019
sorry, Trump has taken over the party as the chosen one.

maybe in 4 years republicans will go back to the neocons, hard to tell at this point what comes after Trump.

JohnnyFootball

The Last of Us may be third person, but it is hardly third person.
Jan 20, 2014
Unless Reagan is resurrected, there is no GOP challenger to Trump
Todays GOP is defined by one thing: Do you support Trump?

If you support him and go along with him, nothing else matters.
Which means that Reagan would be crucified in today's GOP.

Oct 26, 2018
Amazing how every candidate going up against Trump never brings up any god economic ideas to grow the country. It's all about racist Donnie or free handouts or big time spending.

If that's all candidates got they'e already lost 2020. Everyone knows Trump has always been an arrogant elitist loudmouth. People voted for him knowing that before and will again.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Bolivar687

Super Mario

Nov 12, 2016
Todays GOP is defined by one thing: Do you support Trump?

If you support him and go along with him, nothing else matters.
Which means that Reagan would be crucified in today's GOP.
Today's GOP is the party of "we have a candidate that wants to protect our country, make us richer, enforce laws, and not pander to any specific groups. We'll take it rather than the grass is greener on the other side mentality"

The left is the party of "I need special treatment, and no plan is ever good enough"

Kenpachii

Mar 23, 2018
Honestly i wonder why obama's wife didn't run.

She checks all the marks.

1) Minority
2) Woman
3) Doesn't seem insane
4) likeable
5) Respectable
6) Charismatic
7) Classy
8) Not hillary

Good coach named obama that can help her step by step through it.

I can see nobody else compete.

Last edited:

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec

I watched his interview with Kendis Gibson on MSNBC earlier, this guy isn't going anywhere. Gibson is a good guy, but a lightweight host having spent a few years being a somewhat entertaining co-host for ABC's insomniac hour (3-5am) news, and even he made Walsh look weak.

The #NeverTrump camp seems to have deflated, don't count on them taking Trump down.

Zefah

Jan 7, 2007

1) Minority
2) Woman
3) Doesn't seem insane
4) likeable
5) Respectable
6) Charismatic
7) Classy
8) Not hillary

I imagine Michelle is very happy to be out of the political spotlight.

prag16

Jul 12, 2012

1) Minority
2) Woman
3) Doesn't seem insane
4) likeable
5) Respectable
6) Charismatic
7) Classy
8) Not hillary

Believe it or not, some people simply don't want the job.

Reactions: pel1300

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
This guy has zero shot. He's a decent conservative though

But!! He’s also a “never trumper”. (Well, he became one after the spending spree and a few other things regarding Russia)

Either way, Trump is gonna mock the shit out or him

Reactions: pel1300

pel1300

Jan 11, 2006
Though I love Candidate Trump as a unique and charismatic character

But I am waiting for the day a progressive Democrat not owned by the establishment wins 2024. I predict Trump wins in 2020 since the DNC are pushing Biden and Harris who will lose bigly!

Merge the best of Tulsi and Yang and you have my ideal candidate. Tulsi has 17 years of political experience especially in foreign affairs. She fills gaps in Yangs campaign.

The best scenario for 2020 imo is Bernie upsetting Biden for the nom.

Last edited:

danielberg

Jun 20, 2018
Believe it or not, some people simply don't want the job.
Yep but she would be the perfect candidate as a surprise last minute savior for democrats its a good effective narrative and the media would eat it up.
But time is ticking and try to convince anyone to run that doesnt want especially after the insane theater over the last 3 years.
Fuck it i wouldn't take the job keep it lol

TheGreatYosh

Jul 19, 2018
sorry, Trump has taken over the party as the chosen one.

maybe in 4 years republicans will go back to the neocons, hard to tell at this point what comes after Trump.
You prefer Neocons? Wait, you're probably a Democrat, so of course you do.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: pennythots