• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Requiem for a Dream is a pretty depressing movie

hecatomb

Banned
It pretty much has a message though of the side effects of drugs. Some people also call it a horror movie. Since it does have some pretty horrific stuff in it.

Kadayi

Banned
I thought it was good but can't imagine I would see it again

It's a must-see film, but yeah having seen it once I've never felt the urge to rewatch it (and I like DAs films for the most part). It kind of sears itself into your head. The main unfortunate side-effect for me is that throughout Mass Effect I was expecting Anderson at any point to just turn around say 'I know it's pretty baby, but I didn't take it out for air.' Also 'Ass to Ass' tends to lodge in the brain as well.

Great Soundtrack by Clint Mansell though

It's a must-see film, but yeah having seen it once I've never felt the urge to rewatch it (and I like DAs films for the most part). It kind of sears itself into your head. The main unfortunate side-effect for me is that throughout Mass Effect I was expecting Anderson at any point to just turn around say 'I know it's pretty baby, but I didn't take it out for air.' Also 'Ass to Ass' tends to lodge in the brain as well.

Great Soundtrack by Clint Mansell though

That ass to ass scene was intense and f**** up, just like the rest of the movie.

Snoopycat

Banned
It's probably the best adaptation we could have gotten. There's some stuff missing but it's a good film. Selby is one my favourite writers so obviously I'd recommend you go read his books. They did a decent adaptation of Last Exit To Brooklyn, but read the book first.

Kadayi

Banned
It's probably the best adaptation we could have gotten. There's some stuff missing but it's a good film. Selby is one my favourite writers so obviously I'd recommend you go read his books. They did a decent adaptation of Last Exit To Brooklyn, but read the book first.

Yeah that great book, but it's pretty nasty as well.

Kagey K

Banned
Requiem is up there for me in those must see movies. It’s depressing,but it supposed to be.

Other movies that need to be seen
Kids
Trainspotting
Natural Born Killers
Clockwork Orange
Basketball Diaries

Watch all of these if you felt like Requiem had an impact on you.

Kadayi

Banned
Requiem is up there for me in those must see movies. It’s depressing,but it supposed to be.

Other movies that need to be seen
Kids
Trainspotting
Natural Born Killers
Clockwork Orange
Basketball Diaries

Watch all of these if you felt like Requiem had an impact on you.

I'd highly recommend Gus Van Sants 'Elephant' as well. It's another must-see but never need to watch again type of affair. I'm not going to link to a trailer, because it just needs to be seen.

Snoopycat

Banned
Yeah that great book, but it's pretty nasty as well.

Most of his stuff was pretty bleak but I think he's easily up there with the likes of Burroughs and Anthony Burgess. It's a shame he was pretty obscure until the end of his life

Doom85

I thought it was good but can't imagine I would see it again

Of the three films I've seen by the director, I enjoyed both Requiem for a Dream and mother! but GOD would I not watch them again. Only exception would be if a friend (and I'd have to know them well enough to know they could handle certain imagery) was interested in seeing mother! as I can imagine it would make for an interesting discussion afterwards.

Black Swan though I could handle watching again no problem. Yeah, there's some dark/violent moments but not on the level that would make me pass on watching it again.

cryptoadam

Banned
I actually watched it twice in theaters and then a whole bunch of times on DVD LOL.

Great movie, but I can understand why once would be enough. Its depressing, there isn't a happy ending, nothing good really happens. It is not a feel good movie.

I think I brought this up before a couple years ago but why did Marlon Wayans character go to prison for taking Jared Leto to the hospital? That's one of the things that always super irked me with the film.

Mr Hyde

It´s a great movie but also very disturbing. Some images are almost too much, and I´m not a squeamish person. Nice to see Marlon Wayans change his tune and deliver the most nuanced performance in the movie. When I saw him in the cast I thought he was gonna be the token funny black guy, but shit was I wrong. Love actors who goes against type and do it well. Requiem is probably up there with Irreversible as the most difficult and horrifying movies I´ve ever seen.

Snoopycat

Banned
I think I brought this up before a couple years ago but why did Marlon Wayans character go to prison for taking Jared Leto to the hospital? That's one of the things that always super irked me with the film.

It's been a few years but I think they were both thrown in jail because they were in a state where drug abuse was treated harshly and a doctor called the cops when he realised they were both jukies

Weiji

Banned
I watched this movie alone, in the dark, in my dorm room. Had no idea what the movie was about.

They should put a warning label on screen for this thing.

I felt so sick afterwards I though I would throw up.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
yes, it is a pretty depressing movie. it's like the most depressive exploitation movie ever made. its really stylish but it has a Scared Straight story to it.

i remember seeing it as a teenager as well as Kids and Over the Edge. then when i got out of high school and started hanging out in the city i met a lot of people like the kids in these movies. a bunch of them rented out a house that we used to throw parties at, there were multiple houses like this, and lots of the people living there were druggies. i've never seen anybody's arm rot off but i have seen someone get a hole in their nose.

i have had so many friends and acquaintances die from using all kinds of legal and illegal drugs. it is sad enough when that happens in real life. i don't want to watch a movie about that stuff. this movie is kind of glamorous when you are a kid who thinks drugs are cool but not so much on the other side of history. wouldn't want to watch it again tbh.

Javthusiast

Banned
Some movies are so good but depressing at the same time that you rarely want to rewatch them like this one or schindlers list etc.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Aronofsky is a genius and Requiem is brilliant. I've watched it more than once and would actually like to watch it again it's so damn good and it's been a long time, but I just don't think I can do it again. It is so sad, disturbing and depressing especially the ass to ass, thought it was just me that had a really hard time with that scene but I see I'm not alone.

fun fact: Aronofsky was originally going to do Batman Begins. His film, i think would have had Penguin bringing drugs into Gotham instead of Scarecrow. Aronofsky also approached Christian Bale for the role of Batman.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
It's been a few years but I think they were both thrown in jail because they were in a state where drug abuse was treated harshly and a doctor called the cops when he realised they were both jukies

long time for me too but wasn't the cop a bit racist as well? I could be remembering it wrong though.

wondermega

Haven't seen this movie since it was newly on VHS. that's how long it's been. Actually one of those that stays with you always, it's brutal presentation was pretty out-there. I could see it again I suppose but... it's a bad time, man..

Dontero

Banned
It is supposed to not be fun.

Whole point of movie and brilliance comes from liking those normal characters and showing you what drugs make out of normal people when they go to far in their addiction.

Then you watch them hitting bottom this hits you. Because any of them could be you.

Last edited:

Dark Star

pretty disturbing film. drugs, demented elderly, sexual relationships... all very difficult topics to watch on screen.

if you're looking for a real "trip' .. watch Enter the Void - gaspar noe is fantastic (irreversible is another film of is, very gritty, dark and disturbing, i wouldn't recommend it unless you can handle the former)

Top Bottom