• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ResetEra Discussion -- Stay civil. Don't get personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The four year long PoliGAF/Era meltdown has elevated to a list of demands:
JAY74l0.png

The funny thing about the Poli thread is that many posters kept to there and out of the rest. Somehow moderation decided to spill into that area that was ignored and go on a ban spree. The posters being spoken about have their own discord channel I don't see it ever going back to the same.

I am curious when Resetera realizes its a sinking ship. They took their ball and went to a new playground thinking that the old playground was the problem not realizing it was the people playing on the playground and not the playground itself.

The funny thing about the Poli thread is that many posters kept to there and out of the rest. Somehow moderation decided to spill into that area that was ignored and go on a ban spree. The posters being spoken about have their own discord channel I don't see it ever going back to the same.

I am curious when Resetera realizes its a sinking ship. They took their ball and went to a new playground thinking that the old playground was the problem not realizing it was the people playing on the playground and not the playground itself.
still many there that dont even think Gaf is alive and kicking
They literally erase any mention of Gaf in most threads as it tickles the curiosity...the ones that do know are probably..

1) Too ashamed or left a wonderful account suicide thread on their way out the door
2) Still believe gaf is a haven for alt right nazis
3) Still think Era is a gaming forum
4) They are a pedophile

some tick all those boxes

cormack12

Gold Member

It is amazing. PoliEra was moaning, full of infighting and troll like posters. But it took the mods having a more active presence in the thread to make everyone fuck off to Discord :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Oil of Ulay was a brand of skincare products and then it was rebranded to Oil of Olay to unify it internationally.

aedbfc8ccd913ff2a9973051024cea7c.jpg

Technically if Ion Fury is going retro I would imagine it should be labelled UGAY but that is probably more triggering :messenger_tears_of_joy:, so they felt compelled to just go with OGAY. Of course, this means that now there are connotations between a brand generally associated with women (although they do have a mens range) and being gay. Or even worse, that wanting to use face/skin products insinuates you are also gay. Basically the kind of low brow humour that any normal adult just shakes their head at and remembers what it was like to be 14. These people however, consider it a hate crime and all naysayers must be purged from the earth.

source.gif

Last edited:
Its been a while since I paid attention to Era in any manner at all, can someone tell me what happened with PoliEra and why are the mods fighting them? I doubt anyone had a moment of sanity, so what caused the wedge?

Also, are the mods/admins ok of them just using Discord and essentially leaving Era? Do they monitor their discord messages as well?

benjipwns

Banned
Its been a while since I paid attention to Era in any manner at all, can someone tell me what happened with PoliEra and why are the mods fighting them? I doubt anyone had a moment of sanity, so what caused the wedge?
It's just infighting among a tiny bunch of nobodies who think they're important. The mods are not banning people PoliEra wants banned in the way they want them banned, etc.

The whole primaries/Bernie/Tara Reade/etc. stuff has just exacerbated it. The latter especially brought things to a head where you had ResetERA.com's prior mandated view of "believe all women always no matter what" ran headlong into "we need to support Biden by any means necessary" and rather than do anything the mods tried to both ways it by using their usual method of banning everyone incoherently.

Now a handful of posters are trying to use the "threat" of no longer posting as if this matters to Cerium's bottom line and as if they won't come back/others won't replace them.

Ymir

KSweeley might be the most beta looking SIMP on that site.

“GUYS IS THIS YOUTUBER OKAY TO WATCH?”
“Please endorse so I can make a decision because I’m too beta to watch my own content”

Fucking cuck. Who uses such a retarded selfie
lol I need to see this thread now

edit: Found it, I’m pretty shocked by the Jim sterling hate. I figured they’d adore someone who whines over every little thing that he considers a transgression.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
God damn, $270, $1000, all to look like you're wearing something retarded. I will never get it.

Though, there's something drawing me to these fire ass shoes!

DJ0TjJCl.png

I wonder what it is.
And these idiots think they are going to start a "working class communist revolution"

EDIT: This is the power of the leftist cancel culture VS IonMaiden.

BWAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
so this is like Consoles Wars but instead of consoles it is shitty C-tier wanna be pop stars

Ymir

so this is like Consoles Wars but instead of consoles it is shitty C-tier wanna be pop stars

Michael Jackson’s line doesn’t start until 2010, which is a year after he died... Career trajectories start after death?

#Phonepunk#

Banned

these demands are insane too

"The Intercept" is to be banned entirely? lol the investigative paper that first broke the story the NSA involved in targeted drone killings? the one where the most prominent writer is Glen Greenwald, an openly gay journalist who is outspoken against the (actual) fascist elements in his home country of Brazil? that one? an outlet of investigative journalists doing the work to fight against corrupt powers, and they are banned? lol ok.

it's hilarious the double standard they have if someone is REMOTELY questioning of the liberal company line. Rachel Maddow whipped people into a frenzy over literally nothing but nobody can call her illegitimate or "conspiracy minded" because she is on a mainstream network. the utter fealty these sycophants have for their "Official News Sources" is unreal. just mind bogglingly stupid.

the ban hammer is dangerous. these people are actual wanna be nazis. they've been pointing at others for so long they think that they can use authoritarian tactics with impunity. this is the danger of seeking out and shaming "the bad guys". you start to believe your own shit doesn't stink.

also i love the final demand, that people apologize to the users who left, and then beg them to come back, and give them mod status, lol, amazing, the egos on these people.

Last edited:
S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
I like a good laugh at Era as much as the next person HOWEVER, I think the Digital Foundry threads regarding Ion Fury are just really, really sad. Genuinely upsetting.

If people on Era actually cared about issues they could have used the multiple threads as an educational moment instead of dogpiling and attacking a user and ultimately chasing them off the forum.

Not everyone is aware of every social transgression at any one time. The idea that the videos were made with any malice is absurd.

How can people who are apparently so upset by intolerance of others be so dogmatic in their own?

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I like a good laugh at Era as much as the next person HOWEVER, I think the Digital Foundry threads regarding Ion Fury are just really, really sad. Genuinely upsetting.

If people on Era actually cared about issues they could have used the multiple threads as an educational moment instead of dogpiling and attacking a user and ultimately chasing them off the forum.

Not everyone is aware of every social transgression at any one time. The idea that the videos were made with any malice is absurd.

How can people who are apparently so upset by intolerance of others be so dogmatic in their own?

Simple: It's a hate forum.

They channel their hate at any target that is better than them, which is everyone.

lmimmfn

They've chased normies off there
They banned themselves/protected users
It was only a matter of time before they got to those in the industry, ok I'll admit they got to Hobbes sooner than expected lol.

Looks like Dark isn't going back to Era. Good.

That said, I don't want to gloat about it either and say "woo, Gaf won!" because honestly, I don't think that's something John would want either. It's not a happy thing that the "quintessential video game forum" is this friggin toxic and consistently scaring off well-meaning industry people. Frankly, I wouldn't want to go back to gaf either after some of the shit John has dealt with everywhere. Forums are not helpful for one's mental health unless they're extremely small.

Also, I'd like to talk about this post:

I know more than a few developers, both indie and mainstream (as well as content creators, but that's a different discussion entirely), so I think I have some insight on this. And guess what, you're right trashtabby, it's not being "too progressive" that scares developers away from ResetEra. It's the black and white thinking that you bullies apply to fucking EVERYTHING that you've deluded yourselves into THINKING is progressive that scares these people away.

You know what's not progressive? Guilt by association. More than a few banned "personalities" over there are, while not necessarily beloved icons, well-liked individuals in the industry, and not just among the "alt-right chuds" as you would categorize them. Colin Moriarty for example, who is good friends with Cory Balrog and Neil Druckmann. Do they agree with everything he says? Of course not, people can be friends with others that have wildly different political beliefs, provided those beliefs aren't something they'd see as irreconcilable (like I doubt Druckmann would be friends with a Holocaust-denier for example). Or what about how you got a multi-page thread on Boogie being INVITED (not presenting) to the Game Awards and directly harassing Keighley over it (who was smart to not acknowledge it).

Why do you think the ONE Squanch Games developer stopped posting there? Because you designated everyone at the very small company a Nazi after Roiland cut a commercial with Jontron, a guy that several people have since vouched for both in the industry and out as not hateful, including Jirard the Completionist, who would have been directly affected by his dumbass rhetoric back in the 2017 stream that he 100% no longer believes.

On the flipside, you know who ISN'T well liked in the industry and people just put on a face for? Jason Schreier. He's seen as an obnoxious baby that can't handle criticism and is the primary reason many developers blacklisted Kotaku (some not publicly). Of course I expect him to be irrelevant by this time next year now that he's defied the hive by working for a billionaire.

I think at this point, Gameexplain is the only entity that seems "in" with both the Era crowds and everyone else who isn't insane, but for all I know, they could be getting fed up with the place too. They're 4th hand entities for me (friend of a friend of a friend), so any info I get will be a bit diluted.

And this is just scratching the surface by the way. I would hit the character limit (is there still one here, I don't actually know?) before I could name every single issue that the bulk of the industry has with Era, and what I've said isn't even the biggest one. So yeah, I guess to any Era lurkers here that want to keep an eye on what the "alt-right communities" are saying, there's some food for thought for you. No matter how much the site grows, your aggressive community will NEVER be the big hub for gaming industry people that Gaf once was. Maybe someday you'll grow some self-awareness and realize why.

Edit: Oh, and there's A LOT of vulnerable people (mental health-wise) in the industry. It kind of comes with the territory of any creative medium, but it's pretty damn pronounced. Era being one big pool of negativity has had some chilling effects on developers that have done their best to keep up with a "quintessential gaming community". You could say the same about several marginalized people in the industry who just see it as too much and in some ways infantalizing while simultaneously a ridiculous tightrope walk. Like, it can't be understated just how many people see the place as a negative influence at this point and wish it would just go away.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
The video has 100k views. A dozen people on ResetERA are pissed and want a disclaimer.

They are wondering why no one is listening to them. Maybe one day they will realize the problems are all in their head and no one else cares. Probably not though.

If he adds a disclaimer a dozen idiots might be happy until something else pisses them off. There will also be 100k viewers that don’t give a shit or find the “issue” offensive wondering why they added a disclaimer over a dad joke.

Last edited:

Jezbollah

Toxic place is toxic. Can't say I'm surprised.

When your self proclaimed "safe space" negatively impacts people's mental health, you'd think they'd take an inward look at themselves.

But we were at that point a long time ago, and here we are.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
let me just double check... this "bigotry" stuff... this is still about the bottle that says "Ogay"?

feel like i may have missed something. cos it seems like something big must have happened to create such outrage. nothing else has come up where a dev was holding anti gay rallies or anything? did the head of PR get caught threatening Kate McKinnon or something?

like... this is still all about that one image of a bottle of lotion?

seriously???

:messenger_tears_of_joy: yall are FUCKING NUTS

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
this is funny, this post almost gives the game away. in Diipu's alternate universe the "alt right" "hated" the last Mad Max movie (with a caveat that anything before 2016 doesn't count bc obviously nobody can prove anyone hated that movie as it was a huge success).

BDS agrees with this idiotic take, points out the movie was "so damn good" it didn't matter.

fyzBL44.png

almost like... if a movie is a "damn good" movie... rather than a bad movie... people don't complain as much... whether it's a woman or a man doesn't really matter... if the movie is a good movie... uh...

lol its like they are circling truth but they are just too dug into this bullshit tribal fantasy life they live, there is no way they are leaving that cult

Last edited:

God Enel

Isn’t this ogay shit like 5 years old by now? People still mad? LOL

you know you have no (or a lot of?) problems in life when you give a fuck about Mickey Mouse bullshit like that.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
lol its like they are circling truth but they are just too dug into this bullshit tribal fantasy life they live, there is no way they are leaving that cult

tenor.gif

Also I learned today there was a massive uprising in 2016 of alt right I must have slept through?

Maybe they think the 0.3% of alt right are just as obnoxious, loud and hateful as the 0.3% of assmunches, virgins and transtrenders on that site. Maybe that's why they're so scared of them.

Also they should think how easy it is for trolls to be accepted there by acting batshit insane, yet when they go anywhere else they stick out like a sore thumb as 'not normal'.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
this is funny, this post almost gives the game away. in Diipu's alternate universe the "alt right" "hated" the last Mad Max movie (with a caveat that anything before 2016 doesn't count bc obviously nobody can prove anyone hated that movie as it was a huge success).

BDS agrees with this idiotic take, points out the movie was "so damn good" it didn't matter.

fyzBL44.png

almost like... if a movie is a "damn good" movie... rather than a bad movie... people don't complain as much... whether it's a woman or a man doesn't really matter... if the movie is a good movie... uh...

Who the fuck attacked Fury Road? Why?

Ymir

Lol I like how they think it's because they're too woke and people can't deal rather than being a harassment/doxing site for anyone that dares to even unknowingly misalign to their world view. They drove him off of the forum for something he didn't even know about and has absolutely nothing to do with what he made a video about. I say it a lot but they label themselves as a "video game forum". Incredible

desertdroog

If you have to preface every media around a game with problematic content, regardless of third party relevance to said game or the general publics perception of said content, then perhaps the games content isn't problematic. It is those who cannot control their emotions, whom are problematic.

Never apologize to crybullies.

Last edited:

Ymir

If you have to preface every media around a game with problematic content, regardless of third party relevance to said game or the general publics perception of said content, then perhaps the games content isn't problematic. It is those who cannot control their emotions, whom are problematic.

Never apologize to crybullies.
It's funny how selectively enforce it. Did they demand warnings on trailer videos for the games? Reviews from the other hundreds of news sources? This isn't a new game, the isn't a new item they just included in the game but somehow they can only muster the energy to attack D dark10x about a issue he didn't even know existed.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I figured as much. I recall the movie being universally praised. Maybe a little criticism that Max doesn't talk much but I can't recall anything else.
they live in a narrative where the Alt Right is leading coordinated Hate Campaigns to take down all movies with Women (except Fury Road, Wonder Woman, Alita: Battle Angel, many other movies, etc.)

it doesn't matter if this is really the case, whether it occurred in reality or not. they BELIEVE it. it is a religion. it is not based on facts, but belief. the narrative drives reality. so they will say a thing like this, "Alt right trolls hated Mad Max Fury Road" and accept it into their hearts just as a Christian accepts Jesus.

they do not need evidence because it is taken on faith. this is why it is a religion to them. or more accurately, a cult (since it has no moral or metaphysical foundation). they will make lots of peans to being humble and having a morality, but any such moral-based ideology instantly vanishes when, say, a Joe Biden gets a far more credible accusation than a Kavanaugh. you can see their behavior, how it shifts radically, is not based on any morals, or even ideology, it is a nihilist race for power and dominance. pure animalist tribalism.

im convinced all the tribalism is just that, a secular religion, built on narcissistic capitalism. it has its daily rituals and rites, its creeds and credos ("Black lives matter" "Believe women" "Me too" "Trans women are women"), its High Priests who hand down truths from above (mainstream media), its Holy Texts (woke corporate popular media). they have myths and legends, personal saviors. they dedicate hours of the day studying the narratives of popular myth, arguing with religious ferver over the doings and goings of legendary superbeings.

it's all just so ironic bc you see these people absolutely trashing religion. just saying the most ignorant and hateful things about religious people. then they will tell someone to die. then they spend all day long arguing with peers about Spider-man canon. it's funny.

Last edited:

lmimmfn

Lol I like how they think it's because they're too woke and people can't deal rather than being a harassment/doxing site for anyone that dares to even unknowingly misalign to their world view. They drove him off of the forum for something he didn't even know about and has absolutely nothing to do with what he made a video about. I say it a lot but they label themselves as a "video game forum". Incredible
Being realistic he was driven off this forum for unnecessary abuse also so both forums are equally hostile, and he is better off staying away from all forums.

What I find sad is dark has some medical issues - thyroid made more complicated by current Covid situation. He's a great guy and his videos are fantastic and he shows his enthusiasm in everything he does with his energy.
I hope he gets his medical issue under control soon and avoids all crap online.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Taking bets on whether Terra Torment will get slapped a good old Banned (1 week): Inflammatory and hyperbolic generalisation of an entire community and hostility for calling everone a gamergaters and useful idiots

pUa3jHq.jpg

It’s a real nailbiter!

Last edited:

Ionian

The site has gone from going downhill for ages into a complete nose-dive. Pretty impressive.

There is no way way it recovers from this, Hecht and Nepthene fucked it it up. Big time.

Not even an overhaul of Admins (mods are replaceable) is gonna sort this out.

And J-Dubbs is on a break, how convinient.

Cowards, all the best posters left, so where's your content now?

Idiots.

Last edited:

Ymir

I think I finally agree with TaySan, Dark1x is clearly just afraid to lose his alt right audience. Clearly a coward

Taysan said:
Yup, this is purely a business decision on their end and they don't want to lose their alt right audience. They are free to do so, but that choice makes the criticisms warrented.

The guy who had to buy a wife also knows about real snowflakes

messofanego said:
I hope John is taking care of himself, and he's able to bounce back. Love his content and wish the best for him.

Bigots and trolls AKA actual snowflakes really don't need much to harass folks who are willing to step up to them, so if you're able to stand up to them, do it even just for your conscience. If you're fine with the inaction when it was possible for something to do to help marginalised folks, then don't do anything. Like mentioned already, Jim Sterling and other liberal or leftist content creators have been through this. Lost subscribers, lost money, threats, etc. Don't let them win if you can help it. If a simple disclaimer like "the views expressed by..." can't be done, then what hope is there for progress in this medium at any higher stage?

Innuendo Studios' Alt Right Playbook is a good guide for how to combat these fools.

All these wish Jon the best posts feels a lot like Etika, messofanego felt the need to shitpost in the comments of the youtube video but "he hopes John is taking care of himself". Ok bro

still many there that dont even think Gaf is alive and kicking
They literally erase any mention of Gaf in most threads as it tickles the curiosity...the ones that do know are probably..

1) Too ashamed or left a wonderful account suicide thread on their way out the door
2) Still believe gaf is a haven for alt right nazis
3) Still think Era is a gaming forum
4) They are a pedophile

some tick all those boxes

Point number one really rubbed me the wrong way when the exodus happened. A group of people talk about being adults and wanting to create a community to be proud of and then the way they left was absolutely bonkers. That really should have been the first flag to how the community would be shaped.

nush

Gold Member
Taking bets on whether Terra Torment will get slapped a good old Banned (1 week): Inflammatory generalisation of an entire community and hostility for calling everone a gamergaters and useful idiots

pUa3jHq.jpg

It’s a real nailbiter!

Its going to be spectacular when Terra Torment gets really comfortable and protected at Era and enevitably brings a massive drama storm. Going to need all the popcorn for that one.

Here's the story so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom