• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ResetEra Discussion -- Stay civil. Don't get personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCB3

You really do sound brainwashed. I got banned from era...you want to know why? I said that I still enjoy playing Mordhau and could separate the art from the artist. Era was accusing the devs of being racist which didn’t end up being true. Reee is garbage and the quicker you realize that, the better off you’ll be

My 4 month ban is still ongoing for this comment:

Its ResetEra, you cant tell jokes here, I'll probably get banned for this comment

I mean, I did?

Dynheart04

Neo Member
The idea that Resetera is this forum that is fair, and only bans jerks, is complete nonsense. I myself, still having an active account there which is barely used, just really have been a lurker there since the sites inception (went there daily). Why? Unless you are left side of the political spectrum...no, far left of the traditional democrat, you would be considered a Nazi, Racist, Sexist, Bigot, or #1098019891 different labels that seem to grow in number by the day. To be frank, that shit is impossible to keep up with unless you absolutely live that progressive life style (or maybe politics in general). It's like the progressive left needs their own special dictionary so you can translate the damn labels they throw around. Anyway, they're not shy to state they dislike/loathe most democrats, all moderates, republicans, and seem to be at war with the alt-right. Speaking of the alt right, democrats, moderates and traditional republicans are pretty much just lumped all in the alt-right category over there. If you do not identify as a progressive left, you're gonna eat a label, or 10, or 20.

I know the majority here already know this, but I had to get this off my chest. Just reading and feeling attacked over there because of my political views caused me not to post, but I sure as do not fit the description they seem to create...which is this woman hating, racist-nazi, who is a bigot, hates the earth, and loves Trump so much I just want to bath in orange tan lotion. Of course they would say that fair discussion is always open, but the moment they face any opposing opinion...in come the #labels. Such a weird ass forum.

The idea that Resetera is this forum that is fair, and only bans jerks, is complete nonsense. I myself, still having an active account there which is barely used, just really have been a lurker there since the sites inception (went there daily). Why? Unless you are left side of the political spectrum...no, far left of the traditional democrat, you would be considered a Nazi, Racist, Sexist, Bigot, or #1098019891 different labels that seem to grow in number by the day. To be frank, that shit is impossible to keep up with unless you absolutely live that progressive life style (or maybe politics in general). It's like the progressive left needs their own special dictionary so you can translate the damn labels they throw around. Anyway, they're not shy to state they dislike/loathe most democrats, all moderates, republicans, and seem to be at war with the alt-right. Speaking of the alt right, democrats, moderates and traditional republicans are pretty much just lumped all in the alt-right category over there. If you do not identify as a progressive left, you're gonna eat a label, or 10, or 20.

I know the majority here already know this, but I had to get this off my chest. Just reading and feeling attacked over there because of my political views caused me not to post, but I sure as do not fit the description they seem to create...which is this woman hating, racist-nazi, who is a bigot, hates the earth, and loves Trump so much I just want to bath in orange tan lotion. Of course they would say that fair discussion is always open, but the moment they face any opposing opinion...in come the #labels. Such a weird ass forum.
You would be surprised at the amount of people that lean left here but because they don't align on all fronts they get lumped in the alt right bucket

Some people just want trump to win again to see the reaction ...I'm one of them

This whole sjw/cancel/everyone a Nazi really needs to dis...why go through life being a miserable sook when you can create your own road.

600Breezy

Has anyone seen the GTAV thread talking about if Trevor sexually assaulted someone lmao

a old game where you mass murder an entire civilisation and what are these cucks concerned about? Pr prpr pr problematic sexual assault lmao

these people really are the bottom of the food chain aren’t they

Dynheart04

Neo Member
You would be surprised at the amount of people that lean left here but because they don't align on all fronts they get lumped in the alt right bucket

Some people just want trump to win again to see the reaction ...I'm one of them

This whole sjw/cancel/everyone a Nazi really needs to dis...why go through life being a miserable sook when you can create your own road.

That would be pretty funny, to see Trump win again.

In all honesty, I really tried to sympathize and empathize for the people over there. However, they do not want that but instead want conformity, and I'm not giving that.

nush

Gold Member
That would be pretty funny, to see Trump win again.

I'm not American so I don't have a horse in that race but the meltdown will be epic when he wins.

CfGcA9c.png

Saruhashi

Banned
Look I said my piece already and I'm not interested in picking a fight with you guys. He was being provocative with wearing that hat and walking into that protest fishing for a reaction and that's what he got. The Trump hat isn't much different to me than the klansmen hood to me.

I think with this bit you perfectly demonstrate why so many people have an issue with ResetEra and the people who post there.

"He was being provocative with wearing that hat and walking into that protest fishing for a reaction and that's what he got."

This is simply not a factual statement. It is completely wrong.
That's the thing for me with ResetEra is that the community makes a decision on whats "true" and any facts beyond that are dismissed if they do not go along with the desired narrative.

See also the early stages of the whole Jussie Smollet discussion. Until it was no longer possible to keep the narrative going this was a terrible racist and homophobic attack by Trump supporters that proves just how racist America is and anyone doubting the story is pushing the alt-right talking point of hate crime hoaxes.

I'm saying that if you had a video on Era of some old white lady going out and banging a drum in the face of some black kids then people would share my position that a grown-ass adult should absolutely not behave in this way. The fact that the behavior is in even a small way related to the race of the kids just makes it even worse.

This is where people start to develop an issue with the forum and it's moderation.
The kid isn't a Nazi (that we know of). He isn't a racist (that we know of).
Your retelling of the sequence of events is completely false.

Yet over there it is difficult to just come right out and tell you that you are wrong because that ends up getting me booted off the site while you are allowed to remain and spread what is misinformation at best and deliberate outright lies at worst.

"The Trump hat isn't much different to me than the klansmen hood to me."

To you. In your opinion. In your obviously uneducated opinion.
That's fine to think that something is offensive and you can feel free to take offense because you feel like the hat is offensive.
That's a purely subjective point of view though. Whatever personal experience has led you to that point makes it at least plausibly understanable.

It's not factual information though.

Don't get me wrong. I think ResetEra should absolutely be allowed to curate their own narratives and should be allowed to construct their own echo chambers. No problem. After all, I would be surprised if a Christian forum was allowing people to just show up and post "God isn't real you stupid cunts" etc etc.

They are absolutely open to criticism from elsewhere though and, given the influence ResetEra attempts to have on the gaming industry and the history that the place has with this place, this thread seems like a normal consequence to me given the circumstances.

You are flat out wrong regarding the Covington kid situation. That you would double down instead of just saying "I got it completely wrong" is a bit embarrassing. If you are fine with that then you do you, I suppose.

I accidentally found out that kiwifarms was monitoring an Era thread about trans awareness last month that left to a moderation meltdown and whatnot. Longtimers know what I mean.
I posted in that topic to make users aware that actual Nazis, or at least people who hate the same people that ideology hated, were keeping tabs on them so that no names or RL stuff would be said. They even infiltrated a discord. Kfarms then picked up on me who assumed I was a concern troll. I am not. I am a liberal person.

I then saw that Gaf also had a long topic on Era drama that also commented on that meltdown (i was picked up too) and called both hatesites on Era. I actually looked into you later and saw via the ban logs here that users who posted about Jewish extermination, someone who posted alt-right figures non-stop and so on got permabanned. I take it back. Gaf 2.0 ain´t a hate site. You are not more or less weird that other major (gaming) forum. The Gaf mods seemingly even know how to handled bans and detentions.

I made my handle on Era and here the same to make clear who I am. Can´t say that I have an interest in sticking around unless the interest of the gaming industry returns to Naf 2.0 bur Era 100% doesn´t deserve them either. The amount of quality year-one-posters that were shot down for sticking up for the smallest of things isn´t normal. Didn´t the original admit (the one with the Musou avatar) leave them too? The community is further crazy hostile. 4chan level even. You just need to know which words not to say. Like a dog whistle. I´ll just stick to lurking in the gaming news related section only till Era managed to scare the credible leakers away too. And even that will be kept to a minimum.

I can´t believe that I got 2 weeks dentition for posting in a RLM topic on the same day I wanted to take a 1-week sabbatical. I am almost proud. Fate is telling me something.
The hack frauds would be proud too but I am actually not that big a fan of them. They just aren´t what Era says they are or a 1400+ (i think) post topic would have managed to ban them from the site by now.
The only thing I learned that way is that Era is deeply bigoted, not me. They legit radicalize people with their behavior! I am too old and liberal for that though.

PS: I found up via this sign-up that Era and Gaf 2.0 work the same on a site function level. Someone is looking over someone's shoulder. I think it goes both ways.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
residentgrigo residentgrigo GAF's full of relatively normal internet/gaming nerds, and my moderation policies are aimed at allowing reasonable mainstream left/center/right positions (including debates on both sides of the GG fence as far as gaming politics go), discouraging extremism, and keeping discussions civil.

Dynheart04

Neo Member
If it makes you feel any better, I posted a comment that Era's extreme moderation and ban-happy policy were scaring people from posting and engaging in genuine debate.

Result: PERMANENT ban.

If it's any consolation, you were/are correct. At least with me, that's why I never engaged to the point of feeling dis-attached from their community. I just don't feel like going there any more if I have no reason to post.

We have no problems with each other EviLore EviLore

I also need to clarify something about my post. "They legit radicalize people with their behavior" meant that not the users of the site will go to the barricades. People will go against them. They will push young people from the left (i vote for the Green Party here in Germany) to god knows where to prove Era wrong due to the mad high Alexa rank they have: https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo
I said my piece, I think.

PS: Trump will get a 2nd term, one way or the other to comment on that page 151 discussion. That´s how little faith I have in the US voting system. Aside from the fact that he has a base and an easy to get message. Sad but I believe it.

Bryank75

Banned
I rarely check what they are up to there anymore, the place is boring... discussion is dead and repetitive because of the type of people there and the moderation.
Anyway, anytime I hear or see that place, I immediately think of this scene from the Simpsons....

Kev Kev

The only thing I learned that way is that Era is deeply bigoted, not me. They legit radicalize people with their behavior!

giphy.gif

stay away from that place man. i came back a couple months ago and its been far more enjoyable, rational and civilized than anything i experienced on era. people are slowly starting to come around to this, and i think we will be seeing more and more return to gaf in the coming years, especially if trump gets 4 more and the inevitable meltdown ensues

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I accidentally found out that kiwifarms was monitoring an Era thread about trans awareness last month that left to a moderation meltdown and whatnot. Longtimers know what I mean.
I posted in that topic to make users aware that actual Nazis, or at least people who hate the same people that ideology hated, were keeping tabs on them so that no names or RL stuff would be said. They even infiltrated a discord. Kfarms then picked up on me who assumed I was a concern troll. I am not. I am a liberal person.

I then saw that Gaf also had a long topic on Era drama that also commented on that meltdown (i was picked up too) and called both hatesites on Era. I actually looked into you later and saw via the ban logs here that users who posted about Jewish extermination, someone who posted alt-right figures non-stop and so on got permabanned. I take it back. Gaf 2.0 ain´t a hate site. You are not more or less weird that other major (gaming) forum. The Gaf mods seemingly even know how to handled bans and detentions.

I made my handle on Era and here the same to make clear who I am. Can´t say that I have an interest in sticking around unless the interest of the gaming industry returns to Naf 2.0 bur Era 100% doesn´t deserve them either. The amount of quality year-one-posters that were shot down for sticking up for the smallest of things isn´t normal. Didn´t the original admit (the one with the Musou avatar) leave them too? The community is further crazy hostile. 4chan level even. You just need to know which words not to say. Like a dog whistle. I´ll just stick to lurking in the gaming news related section only till Era managed to scare the credible leakers away too. And even that will be kept to a minimum.

I can´t believe that I got 2 weeks dentition for posting in a RLM topic on the same day I wanted to take a 1-week sabbatical. I am almost proud. Fate is telling me something.
The hack frauds would be proud too but I am actually not that big a fan of them. They just aren´t what Era says they are or a 1400+ (i think) post topic would have managed to ban them from the site by now.
The only thing I learned that way is that Era is deeply bigoted, not me. They legit radicalize people with their behavior! I am too old and liberal for that though.

PS: I found up via this sign-up that Era and Gaf 2.0 work the same on a site function level. Someone is looking over someone's shoulder. I think it goes both ways.
I saw you trying to talk Star Wars and getting isolated and de platformed by the usual message board police you are welcome here friend! RLM is not a hate group here

Last edited:

Thabass

extremist
/ɪkˈstriːmɪst,ɛkˈstriːmɪst/
Learn to pronounce
noun
DEROGATORY

1. a person who holds extreme political or religious views, especially one who advocates illegal, violent, or other extreme action.

ZkqycbU.png

FyOghfi.png

2SbvWMk.png

9PVIvJO.png

And this is the reason why I don't post there anymore. I saw some of that shit when I was on ResetEra a year ago and I stopped and found GAF again. Who are they trying to fool? Their no worse white supremacists that they're trying to fight.

Good to have you man. We may not have the insiders, but our saving grace is that people can openly disagree with each other here without it getting personal. I understand why you'll stick around Era. There's a certain allure to getting as close to the source as possible. Just remember that you're always welcome if you want to talk about gaming or whatever without walking on egg shells

SpiceRacz

I'm just sharing my personal opinion that just happens to be different than the majority here.

People get banned for this exact thing on ERA.

I'm of the belief that as long as you are not a jerk you won't be in any trouble in Era.

No offense, but this is about as far from reality as you can get. I've seen people banned for harmless shit. Over and over. It's why ERA has developed it's reputation. If you step outside their bubble, you can see that place is viewed from the outside as a toxic shithole. There's numerous stories in this thread alone of people copping permabans. I was perma'd for defending comedy- specifically Louis CK and Roseanne. That place is over-moderated and leaves no room for dialogue about anything other than people regurgitating the same views/opinions. It's fucking gross.

And this is the reason why I don't post there anymore. I saw some of that shit when I was on ResetEra a year ago and I stopped and found GAF again. Who are they trying to fool? Their no worse white supremacists that they're trying to fight.
No, I'm pretty sure they are worse. They are setting the cause of progressivism back years because people will think all progressives are as fucking crazy as they are.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
No, I'm pretty sure they are worse. They are setting the cause of progressivism back years because people will think all progressives are as fucking crazy as they are.
Show me a "moderate progressive" and point to the specific rule or ethic that dictates why their progressivism stopped at that point instead of going all the way.

Modern progressivism has no built-in gauge to temper the unlimited virtue-passion, so it naturally keeps sliding into more extreme standpoints.

cryptoadam

Banned
Are people banned because mods read threads or because u have a bunch of snitches that cry to the mods when someone post something that violates their safe space?

Seems to me there are a few people who just report posts and the mods just do their bidding.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Are people banned because mods read threads or because u have a bunch of snitches that cry to the mods when someone post something that violates their safe space?

Seems to me there are a few people who just report posts and the mods just do their bidding.

There are absolutely "prominent members" whose reports are taken more seriously than others. I also imagine the mods are absolutely inundated with reports. I bet there are hundreds if not thousands over there every single day. Lots of folks seem to fashion themselves inquisitors of the Social Justice Revolution whose job it is to root out wrong-think.

wvnative

The mere existence of this topic... although poll results are interesting

The mere existence of this topic... although poll results are interesting

This is a beautiful thread.

Saruhashi

Banned

Snitches.

residentgrigo residentgrigo was banned 2 weeks for this:

I knew that Era would have such a topic, with over 1000 posts. I just knew. Here is my hot RLM take.
I like RLM despite seeing all sorts of problems with their content. Some are basic Hollywood facts, like how a film profit is calculated. They constantly explain it wrong. Is say less Jay and have no deep-rooted problems with Mike to comment on that one.
Fuck you, it's January! is in full swing this year when I look into this year´s release schedule. That observation will by my personal RLM legacy. Their best video btw: Link to RLM Video.
PS: The Nerd Crew is unwatchable to me. Valid point, trash execution. I only survived one full ep.

The Ban Reason?
Ignoring staff post; downplaying bigoted content, Inflammatory community attack and generalization

So a pretty rational opinion on RLM gets you done for two weeks.
It makes no sense though as other posters on there frequently post positive opinions about RLM so it's not like the mods could pick this post for a ban and leave the others.
Unless someone is whining to the mods.

Also the ban reason makes no sense.
If RLM is "bigoted content" then why the fuck is it on the forum in the first place? Surely the thread should be shut down and deleted then?
How come downplaying bigotry is only a 2 week ban?

My best guess is that mods respond to posters sending them messages targeting other posters and so they get singled out for punishment.
The ban is only 2 weeks because residentgrigo residentgrigo is actually not 100% in support of RLM just disagrees with some posters on some specific points.
So the ban is enough to encourage them to shut the fuck up in future but not enough that they are permanently getting rid of someone who still agrees with a lot of the community viewpoints.

Looking at that thread you can see 2 or 3 posters who I wouldn't be surprised to find they had all gone to the mods to get the guy banned.

There's an aspect of all this that is about control and about making examples of people while also relying on the idea that they will come crawling back when the ban is completed. Only now you'll behave and not defend RLM and let the "RLM are bigots" loons have the floor unchallenged.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Joker getting so many noms is really hurting their feelings for some reason.
And what's with their love for knives out? Is it some woke fest?

I'm hoping it's because it's a good movie (haven't seen it yet), but my suspicion is that it's largely because Rian Johnson directed it.

Aww Matt finally broke down. Couldn't admit he was wrong so he's now banning everyone that disagrees with him like the rest of the Ree mods. At least he tried, I guess.
Sounds like Matt.....also BTW he knows jack shit about the new consoles. He is the biggest "fake insider" that is on that site yet he is treated like royalty because he is a mod.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Joker getting so many noms is really hurting their feelings for some reason.

Not just Joker getting lots of noms, but the whiteness of the noms in general and lack of (insert PoC here) across the board is really hurting them mentally.

All the grandstanding that there MUST be more PoCs is really at odds with how the oscars in particular work.
The voting is all from industry people and the noms have to be advanced by the studio, right? So not every single film or performance is being considered for a nomination IIRC.

Anyway, if there are so many folks who want a diversity first awards show then just create one! All these awards probably started off small and just grew into national recognition. Personally I think the very idea of these awards is fading, rather than them being less popular because it's always white guys winning them.

Not just Joker getting lots of noms, but the whiteness of the noms in general and lack of (insert PoC here) across the board is really hurting them mentally.

All the grandstanding that there MUST be more PoCs is really at odds with how the oscars in particular work.
The voting is all from industry people and the noms have to be advanced by the studio, right? So not every single film or performance is being considered for a nomination IIRC.

Anyway, if there are so many folks who want a diversity first awards show then just create one! All these awards probably started off small and just grew into national recognition. Personally I think the very idea of these awards is fading, rather than them being less popular because it's always white guys winning them.

There are about 8000 voting members of the Academy who select the nominations based on films promoted to the Academy by respective studios. I am not sure the voting members are held to those specific films however.

In 2016 the Academy raised the amount of Academy voting members and they brought in a more diverse group. That doesn't seem to have made a difference. It's almost like the Academy isn't the issue at all.

The lack of PoC in creative positions in the industry is a larger issue but of course the progressives knee jerk reaction is to assume that 8000 members of voting academy members are conspiring against minority groups.

Last edited:

SCB3

Erm clearly not seen it then considering the girl Joker is pursuing is a PoC! Morons, the lot of them

Cybrwzrd

Banned
For what? I don't think I said anything wrong or attacked anyone. I'm just sharing my personal opinion that just happens to be different than the majority here.

You guys are weird about Era. I'm not a "sleeper agent" I'm just another poster posting in another forum. I'm of the belief that as long as you are not a jerk you won't be in any trouble in Era.

Your definition of "jerk" is problematic.

Glad you popped over here, saw your ban on Era and thought it was pretty dumb. Surfinn definitely put a hit out on you. Reading the "Critique of Red Letter Media’s Bigoted Content" thread over there is basically a Ban HoneyPot. Their staff post plainly says the RLM content has problematic elements. It's not up for debate over there, so if you say anything to the contrary, you are going against the staff post & "REEality". In a weird way, they should make more staff posts like that, so in every thread you know which way your opinion has to lean if you want the privilege of posting. I swear they keep the RLM threads open JUST to ban people, and/or to provide a place for the usual suspects to bitch & moan.

As you said, GAF isn't a hate site. It IS a site with opinions and content that you may not agree with, but only on Era does that == hate. I am not exactly sure when it happened, but the way they've determined who/what is problematic has evolved over time. Just last week they were REEEEing in the Girlfriend Reviews thread about people who are friends with people who hugged another person who was problematic, this "canceling" (oh wait we don't cancel!) the original person because of some wackadoodle six-degrees-of-cancellation policy that is now gospel. It's ridiculous.

It's strange here, at first, seeing ideas and posts that aren't perfectly aligned with one mindset. You might even see a thread admiring women's bodies.. but in the end, it feels might nicer to be able to express yourself (within some semblance of a reason) without always fearing the Staff Gestapo is right around the corner.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Even on NPR this morning, the first thing I heard was "suurrree are a lot of honkeys in here!" God forbid these are the nominees because people liked the movies.

Has anyone else noticed the increase in "my life is horrible and everything sucks" threads over there lately? I feel like I've seen at least 3 or 4 in the past week alone.

I expect this trend to continue as the evil 2020 rolls on. Already a decent chunk of the members are telling them to toughen up/get over it, but that seems a bit.. ablest by non-depressed folx.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone else noticed the increase in "my life is horrible and everything sucks" threads over there lately? I feel like I've seen at least 3 or 4 in the past week alone.

I expect this trend to continue as the evil 2020 rolls on. Already a decent chunk of the members are telling them to toughen up/get over it, but that seems a bit.. ablest by non-depressed folx.

It's been like that since the beginning, honestly... It's a forum that claims to welcome those who suffer from mental illness and depression with open arms, but in reality only seeks to take advantage of their mental state to radicalize and further separate them from family and society.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, noes. Bernie Sanders might be in trouble with Ree. That might cause the place to explode before the election.
If supporting Bernie is going to be a bannable offense again like in 2016 here then there won't be enough popcorn in Earth for this election cycle. Especially if he manages to win the nomination because at that point his opponent will be Trump. No matter who wins, Ree loses.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Rian Johnson.

Yeah, they've increased. As have the "Can we all agree on (thing)?" threads which is a clear signal of how much people love debate there.

I also love the abundance of "Is (thing) the greatest/ most (adjective) ever/of the last decade?". From people who are on average in their 20s and regularly show they don't know a lot of basic culture and media stuff, that's hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom