• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ResetERA Mods Shut Down Another Dusk Golem Thread...Can You Guess Why?

IF RE8 is having issues running on PS5, what do YOU think are the reasons why?

• PS5 fixed profile modes

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • PS5 Variable Frequency

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Certain PS5 API tools still in flux

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • RE Engine incompatibility with certain PS5 API tools

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • RE Engine a mess

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • VR Mode

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Capcom incompetence

Votes: 19 46.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
share.png

Is the PS5 cooling solution TOO good? x3 (just a little tongue-in-cheek 'k).

Ooh, a twofer x3!!

I normally don't focus on Reeee but I think it's worth noting that they seem to be particularly sensitive about certain topics allowed to proliferate, even on the gaming side, as we've seen today when another RE8 rumor thread with points coming from Dusk Golem (that the game is apparently struggling to run on PS5 but not on Series X or PC), has seemingly been shut down.

Mind you, this is after the fact Dusk has, to even my surprise, been right about the PS5 event date phase (1st half of September; the 16th is just one day off), the Shenmue stuff (an anime series got announced earlier this month), AND the Monster Hunter stuff (a new Monster Hunter is indeed coming to Switch and is an exclusive). That's three for three, at least WRT recent rumors.

Now, the way Dusk brought up this RE5 stuff initially seems REALLY suspect, and the wrench at the end of doing it because of what he felt was bad publicity for MS (lol) that week was the cherry on the cake. Gave a lot of folks good enough reason to laugh it (and him) off. However, in light of some of his other rumors turning out correct, and knowing his history with Capcom-related rumors in particular....I started wondering if he made up the whole "I felt bad for Xbox" thing to simply throw off traces.

Given RE8 did have another showing at Sony's presentation yesterday and had some frame drop issues (among a few other things)...I think it's fair to open the door back up to this particular rumor and hear him out, to see if there is indeed truth to it. However, it'd appear places like ResetERA would rather censor and shut down discussion on these rumors as speculation, and for not very credible reasons IMHO.

Consider this: moderator Morrigan (the one who shut down the recent thread) seemingly only did so when Matt (who, let us clarify here, is not an actual programmer or developer! He just works as a community guy at an (albeit large-ish) 3rd-party studio AFAIK. Not to belittle him, but just getting the record straight on this one) chimed in on the thread with this:

Not really no, because that point honestly doesn’t make any sense, and doesn’t provide any information conducive to constructive discussion.

leading to moderator Morrigan to post:

^ In light of this, and how we don't think those tweets are particularly thread-worthy to begin with, we're locking this.

Bolded emphasis mine. Keep in mind, ResetERA's Matt is the same guy who did his own bit of not "providing any informative conducive to constructive discussion" when he merely said "disregard it" WRT the Github leaks. It's almost as if people were supposed to blindly assume his position as fact simply because of his stature on the forum, rather than him providing any informative reasons as to why (which he failed to do).

So at the very least, what we have here are double-standards by moderators on ERA in terms of whose fluff words are allowed to carry weight and whose are to be shut down from even having a discussion formed around them. But it gets a bit deeper than that. Notice that the main reason this latest thread around an older rumor Dusk mentioned (that he's recently touched back on again), probably has to do with the fact a "certain platform" seems to be the odd one affected.

Let's just be honest and admit that people in gaming media have their preferences, and for some of them those preferences turn into biases. However, when it comes to the point of potentially sequestering discussion of a rumor simply because one platform is at the center of a not-so-glamorous rumor, IMHO that does more harm than good. To my knowledge I have not seen moderators on ERA do something like this WRT any rumors of dev hassles regarding Microsoft platforms, and that's good because people should be allowed to freely discuss their thoughts on those kind of things, regardless if they turn out to be true or not. They don't seem up on allowing a singular set of voices dictate with authoritative impunity what things are up for or not up for discussion with some platforms, so why not enforce that across the board?

This is not even considering the fact that, yes, while Dusk's rumor regarding RE8 difficulty on PS5 doesn't get into technical specifics, has this ever been a requirement for other game dev-related rumors on platforms in the past? If not, why suddenly make it a condition here, in this instance? His lack of any in-depth technical insight on this particular rumor doesn't preclude other people to speculate what the reasons might be; yes you will inevitably get the console and PC master race warriors who will say it's due to the GPU downclocking, or variable frequency, and leave it at that...but those by and large would not be the only opinions thrown around, would they?

I think it says a lot about ERA that they feel they have fostered such a lopsided and immature community, to outright censor certain gaming (not even politics-in-games stuff) topics or rumors, from having any type of discussion. Especially when attempting to use the word of other high-up members as an authority on something when said person probably knows even less than the person who brought up the rumor! This sort of controlling of discussion and the narrative comes off as protectionism.

Yes, ERA are allowed to do with their forum as they see fit. But there's a responsibility to be had, I feel. Not just to the game developers, publishers, and platform holders, but also to the actual gamers who want to openly (and respectfully) discuss potentially controversial game-related rumors on a gaming forum. Considering how (IMO unearned) ERA is sometimes regularly cited by quite a few bigger gaming publications, sites, and content creators, this should be all the more reason for them to uphold that aforementioned responsibility to the average gamer who populates their board, rather than simply protect (possible) corporate or game dev-peer interests. Because ultimately, it's the gamers who are financially buying this software (and the systems to play them on) to justify them being made in the first place; if they're so free to purchase as they see fit, they should be just as free to discuss (again, responsibly) as they see fit, too.

-----------

So then, let's get to that Dusk rumor then. My personal take? I think the whole thing only really has to do with the fixed profile modes in PS5 devkits, and (possibly) some PS5 API tools either not being ready, or not integrating well into RE Engine at current time. Which probably has more to do with the RE Engine than it does the PS5 API tools. All of these things would be temporary issues: Sony's already confirmed the retail PS5 units won't use the fixed profiling modes, and API tools improve over time.

It's also possible that Sony may've replaced certain PS4 API tools with newer PS5-specific ones that work a lot differently in the small level ways (though give similar results altogether), and that could be causing a fuss. The issues could also be related to getting the game VR-ready; hell, there is always the off-chance that this rumor could be related to the VR mode in the game! I don't know if that's such a stretch but if not, I'm more than confident those are things Capcom could fix via a patch post-launch.

The fact that ERA would supersede any of this type of sensible speculation-discussion for a 3rd-party dev-affiliated member's take that focused more on (IMHO hypocritically) downplaying the rumors due to lack of in-depth details lending to "conducive" discussion, is the very sort of controlled narrative shenanigans currently plaguing a lot of gaming atm, let alone media in general. If ERA's done their job as a forum, they should allow users to have sensible, mature discussions over these types of rumors, especially considering both they've allowed this in the very recent past (particularly around Xbox-related stuff), AND Dusk's track record of late with these rumors has been pretty spot-on (although even I'm still a bit "eh?" with some of the Street Fighter 6 stuff they posted).

But what do you all think? Do you think there's some meat to these rumors, or are they bogus? And yeah, let's try to keep it cordial :messenger_ok:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
dusk has some pretty good sources at capcom.

but he also has some pretty shitty sources that fed a lot of bullshit about the ps5 being more expensive.

hes lost his credibility, but that doesnt mean these things about re8 arent true. we have seen this game running at awful framrerates three months apart. it has not improved in between those months. i'd say to trust your eyes.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

but he also has some pretty shitty sources that fed a lot of bullshit about the ps5 being more expensive.

hes lost his credibility, but that doesnt mean these things about re8 arent true. we have seen this game running at awful framrerates three months apart. it has not improved in between those months. i'd say to trust your eyes.
I wouldn't use that to judge credibility. Sony obviously dropped their desired MSRP to combat MS.

DonF

I trust the RE engine and Capcom way more that dusk. The game looks and runs great on ps4 and xb1, why would it run poorly on next gen consoles? Remember that optimization is one of the last steps in development, no need to be concerned when the game is set to launch next year, maybe?

decisions

I gotta be honest, RE8 looks wack as shit. This trailer was basically the same as the previous one, except there was some anachronistic Tim Burton-style stuff thrown in the middle of it.

Why is Chris acting all edgy?

Who thought "Village" was a good subtitle?

Who wants story trailers for an RE game anyways? What we want is gameplay - plot has never been a selling point of RE.

Why is the game first-person when 3rd-person RE is clearly better? ;)

Maybe the game isn't running so well on PS5 right now - who cares. The game is a year out at least and so it doesn't really matter.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I'm thoroughly impressed that you dumped so much text onto such a topic.

I'm sure by the time RE8 drops its optimization and performance will be on par across the board on consoles.

Also, for as much as y'all despise Era, why constantly bring it up? Just like Kotaku, good lord, lmao.

Last edited:

ripeavocado

Banned
That guy has been wrong so many times, you can see from the original trailer that the game is not running well on PS5.

Educated guess disguised as rumour to feed his own ego.

Stop reporting his bullshit please.

+ who cares about them.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Suck non-story.

The due was spreading rumors that were false so he now lost any credibility.

I saw RVIII running on PS5 pretty well yesterday when he tried to say it was having issues to run at 1080p lol

Last edited:
I guess it's better that you created this insane thread instead of building bombs in your basement.
Unless you're doing both?

He said ps5 struggles woth 1080 60 and xsx does 1080p 60 .

So if thats the case , what xss resolution? 520p?

He is missing some info due to not being a technical person , which makes the whole thing nonsense

Illo

As opposed to a potential rumor for game releases or digital presentations. Where does a conversation about a rumor, that a game that is still in development, isn't running that great on a unreleased console really go?

Discussing on a rumor like this really only fuels console war nonsense. If the game was being reviewed and reviewers were stating the problems on one console over another or the game wasn't running well at release there is a discussion there to be had.

Yes any conversation on this topic assuming the rumor holds merit is purely speculative, but again the consoles isn't even out yet to truly have a tangible scope about even discussing why those problems might even exist.

I agree that era mods ending the threads prematurely rather then watching the discussion or letting it die is a fault. But on neogaf with more lax moderation in these terms, you can.

Save this discussion for later when the consoles are out and more rumors about the games problems closer to release are still being rumored.

Down clocking of a feature incomplete RDNA2 chip maybe?

Who knows, but analysing still in development games is a bit pointless. Best wait until post launch to see how much the Series X really beats it by.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If "true," then Capcom is sucking gas considering no issues on the many other beautiful looking and running games being shown.

Seems like a Capcom "problem," not a PS5 one.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Dusk said I was very likely that the PlayStation 5 would be more expensive than the Xbox Series X

ZhugeEX later confirmed that the price was decided a long time ago.

Admitted to posting negative news about PlayStation 5 because Xbox was getting bad press.

Is it really having major problems? I haven't heard any development problems for the Xbox Series S, but for some reason it runs poorly on the PlayStation 5. Its hard to believe.

Devil May Cry runs at 120 on the PlayStation 5 and it uses the RE engine, but Resident Evil 8 has trouble running at 1080p 60fps? It's hard to believe.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I wouldn't use that to judge credibility. Sony obviously dropped their desired MSRP to combat MS.
nah, the BOM was always $450. the ps5 has a smaller gpu and cheaper ram and cooling. it was always going to be cheaper than the xsx.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Dusk Gollem the one who says PS5 will be more expensive than Series X

Duak Gollem the one who said RE8 will run poorly on PS5 but says nothing on Xbox S

As far as im concerned that twat can feck off

Last edited:

Kerotan

He got the ps5 event wrong. Guessing it was in September wasn't hard and he went with a very vague first half. He lost the 50/50 bet because he didn't know shit. He also got the ps5 price wrong. Like how the fuck did he know when Sony probably hadn't finalised. I'm sure he has sources but he's also prone to bs.

kuncol02

Banned
It can't be VR related, because they only shown pancake version of RE7. It should run smooth like butter if VR version exists. It could be because REenige is not designed to such big game but Capcom devs should know that and they would rebuild engine when game was in way less advanced stage.
Profiles on devkit, or rather lack of them on standard PS5 is super strange for me. Who though that having devkit which behave fundamentally different from retail console is good idea? There is probability that console have preference for GPU or CPU and engine need opposite. With manual profiles on devkits they will have really hard time to optimize for that.

oldergamer

Dude that was his opinion. nobody told him it would be 600. Regardless based on pricing outside the USA, ps5 probably was planned to be more expensive then announces. Sony fans think anyone they don't agree with, even when its just a guess, have lost credibility.

Can you guess why

Now, the way Dusk brought up this RE5 stuff initially seems REALLY suspect, and the wrench at the end of doing it because of what he felt was bad publicity for MS (lol) that week was the cherry on the cake.

It's not astrophysics. He fucked his credibility over by his own actions.

If Capcom won't have the PS5 version optimized until closer to launch then I guess that's somewhat newsworthy as it could indicate that their engine needs more work on PS5 (than other platforms) for some unknown reason. However, that doesn't change the fact that the messager of the rumor -- Dusk -- did so in an assbackwards manner.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
As you say, a lot of ERA members like to pretend they are "developers" or insiders but today I checked what game Weltall is working on and it's some pixel trash you wouldn't even download in free 20 games bundles.

Weltall is one of the biggest SJW there and he likes to bring up how he is a developer. Like he is some sort of reference in the video game industry or something the way he goes on about topics.

It reminds me of Zoe Quinn who is still called a developer even though all she did was some text adventure years ago.

Who cares?
Surely you will find out when the game arrives and the reviews come in. Seriously, it’s a pain in the backside waiting for news, but listening to all these ‘insiders’ has resulted in my eyes being permanently rolled into the back of my head.

Blue Spring

Read my tears about xbox here --->
People that believe RE8 has problems running on the PS5 at 1080p 60fps while the Series X easily runs it easily at 4K 60fps should check if they are on the spectrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom