• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resetera reflects: This place sucks. We want GAF back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like something went wrong there.
When it opened, there was a mod/admin post about ban transparency and diversity in opinions etc, but now it looks like it could even be more authoritarian than gaf ever was.
TBH, I kind of consider it a part of gaf, as I sometimes go there to read crazy Lefist opinions and maybe chuckle to myself about them, without commenting in the forum. Thats what I used to do here, when members would get banned for arguing with SJW ideals etc. In that way, nothing has changed for me.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I like it here. I'm a refugee from RockPaperShotgun which was pretty SJW-infested, it seems that resetera is cut from the same cloth. Please don't let them ruin my last refuge of gaming sanity.

lifa-cobex

I like it here. I'm a refugee from RockPaperShotgun which was pretty SJW-infested, it seems that resetera is cut from the same cloth. Please don't let them ruin my last refuge of gaming sanity.

Well it's up to Evilore to watch the watch dogs.
The new mods are a bit quite but I've no real complaints so far......

Serious question, just what the fuck is these people's problem? Why are they this way?

I always think of Anthony Burch, back when he wrote for Destructoid I liked him a lot, I considered myself an actual fan of his writing, remember HAWP? But over the years he's since turned into such a stereotypical SJW shithead (and I believe he actually has nothing to do with the video game industry anymore, thank goodness)

I feel like there's a lot of once decent people who have been corrupted by this, it's like fucking invasion of the body snatchers.

Just.... why? The way gaming culture has split down the middle like this, it's bizarre, it's like "Do you remember me? how we used to be? Do you think we should be closer? (Closer! Closer!)"

I sure do miss gaming culture from around a decade ago.

Last edited:

eot

Banned
Do you know how much more enjoyable this site is now without the toxic SJW hive mindset? I actually enjoy debating and getting in spats with people knowing it’s all in jest and we have our differences.
Era is too leftist for my tastes, but NuovoGAF has swung a bit too far in the other direction. Like the plus sized model thread for example, I'm not for fat acceptance, but I also don't think people should be posting actively hateful stuff (some of it was removed thankfully). Gtfo here with that shit. The more lax moderation is something I prefer, so if more people with differing perspectives find their way back here there would actually be room for some interesting discussions.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Tbh I'm left but the opportunity to converse civilly with some right-wingers is useful to me - the opportunity to have my ideas challenged? Thank you very much I'll take that every day. Overall I'd say this place isn't particularly right, but it's good that there are some people here from that side.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I already made this in the off-topic thread but its so apt:

2h65kf.jpg

Pretty impressive that it took them just 11 months to slowly implode where it took what, 15 years before that happened here?
EviLore EviLore 's post highlighting the amount of trash that got ousted tells you multiple things:
  • People were just waiting for something to ignite the fuse.
  • When it did, the unfiltered toddler in them came alive.
  • There is reason to believe that this was a pre-determined setup. All it needed was something to set off the spark.
  • This was done over an allegation, not a conviction or judiciary decision. Its ironic because they have proved themselves to get employees fired, people permabanned, Developers unverafied and whole games excluded for less on the pretense of a forced narrative.

Last edited:

ZiZ

Yeah, the mods are too strict there, and it's not as fun as oldgaf. But honestly this place is too far gone in the opposite direction.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZehDon

I'm not going to take a dump on another group, but I choose not to interact with RE because I don't see much value in that kind of interaction. I like nu-GAF's more relaxed policies; I don't post a lot, but it's always interesting to read. In terms of internet forums, I feel like that would be kind of the goal.

JordanN

Banned
Serious question, just what the fuck is these people's problem? Why are they this way?

I always think of Anthony Burch, back when he wrote for Destructoid I liked him a lot, I considered myself an actual fan of his writing, remember HAWP? But over the years he's since turned into such a stereotypical SJW shithead (and I believe he actually has nothing to do with the video game industry anymore, thank goodness)

I feel like there's a lot of once decent people who have been corrupted by this, it's like fucking invasion of the body snatchers.

Just.... why? The way gaming culture has split down the middle like this, it's bizarre, it's like "Do you remember me? how we used to be? Do you think we should be closer? (Closer! Closer!)"

I sure do miss gaming culture from around a decade ago.

Social media blewup. In the past, when people wanted to say they were angry, they could create their own website and write all their rants to a small audience.

But now that the internet has gotten more homogenized, the likes of youtube,twitter,facebook made it so those "angry bloggers" now have an audience that could reach millions of people in an instant.

I'll be honest and say the "SJW's" always existed. But their reach was limited to all the tiny blog sites or magazines. But because everyone uses or knows about twitter or youtube, they start vexing and immediately it begins to snowball.

Now as for why did people become "SJW" that remains a mystery. I think originally, it was people who had good intentions. Maybe they wanted to fight the good fight and be more proactive with their beliefs. But it no longer feels like equality and is just people looking to race bait at every opportunity. It also became hypocritical. The focus went from wanting "equality and fairness" to now bashing anyone who identifies as white/conservative/male.

Last edited:
Too much politics nowadays. Even gaming affected from time to time by that. Even common topics involve taking sides - you either fall in line or get ready to barrage of attacks.
But no wonder that we either have nowadays echo chambers or rather slow and boring places.

Boring because on any extreme topic you are obliged to take side. And if it is not the common side you are to become a pariah. A lot of people normal people just left and don't frequently participate in the politics anymore. Too much polarization.

Basically Western Roman Empire aka late NeoGaf collapsed and Resetera is Holy Roman Empire, with some papal (or mama-something as we are to bring down the patriarchy) SJW influence.

Last edited:

Skyr

Yeah, the mods are too strict there, and it's not as fun as oldgaf. But honestly this place is too far gone in the opposite direction. In the end it boils down to whether you're more comfortable surrounded by feminazis or actual nazis.

Oh look.. Someone spend clearly too much time over there. I'm afraid it's too late for you to return into regular society buddy

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
F fantomena
We will move this to community when it runs its course but we're making some broad changes in the weeks ahead, and communities will 'change' slightly. Obviously this will focus purely on commnunities but the core website look and flow will be the same. It's actually not only a thread about resetera members reflection, but an opportunity to give the community here a chance to do the same.

Everything we've been doing and building here comes from an overarching roadmap/plan to basically adapt what a forum is and how it will be used in the age of social media and tools like discord. We shared some brief details in the general update thread, but the redesign and platform changes are quite fluidly linked so their priority changes.

Most of the changes we've done so far have been unobtrusive in nature (e.g. stream/achievements/likes/giveaways). The major change which was the creation of the 'politics' forum we did put out a public poll. The subforum was just one of a few options and it was the easiest to trial and roll back if it didn't work. When the redesign work is done people will see what we mean by toggles but we can't introduce massive sweeping changes at once. We have to give options and see if the community adapt or just don't use/require that functionality. But we have to do it in a way that doesn't impact or diminish the current user experience.

Believe me, we have a ton of things to get through and at the moment we're frustrated with things moving slowly but robustly. And credit to EviLore EviLore we've had to reign back because he's had the foresight to see things like the structure change at reset having a massive detrimental impact when it's not properly thought out. It seemed very much a response to what we did here, but without any of the underlying 'plan'. And I don't say that as a criticism, just an observation and a 'lessons learned' for us here too. I also appreciate there are real people behind the software that put hours and their hearts into that project and they probably believed it was a good move. Some of the reaction has been astonishing quite frankly even across social media.

However for NeoGAF, we made a conscious decision at the start of this new opportunity to make community engagement the focus but dovetail it into the existing way the forums are used. Because what has been built the last year has been shaped by you guys, the current community. The biggest change has been the culture shift. Even now, the last few months has seen a very drastic trend of new posts, members and general activity. We're starting to see those roots take hold now.

I think ultimately though, social media is still an issue. These people speak of dogwhistles, completely unaware of their own 'yikes', 'y'all' and other online colloquialisms that are basically subversive flags akin to 'for the cause' tattoos. What was more interesting was the quick fire labelling of alt-right of the mods and members that liked the separation at reset. Sadly, this is still a prevalent smear campaign run against this site and its members which is quite damaging. But we'll continue doing what we're doing. We're fully invested in delivery of this platform, and on a large scale we believe we have a genuinely diverse, emotionally stable and politically balanced core membership. And we realise that there are a decent number of folks that left that have great depths of knowledge, and contribute huge amounts of content and we hope they do return over time. At the moment all we can do is keep building what we have planned out and to some extent we have to realise the benefit of the doubt won't be with us, so we need to show these changes and not just speak about them.

For new members though I believe we see topics not combusting here into the usual one liners and 'tow the line' attitude that takes hold. We do intercede when we feel it absolutely necessary but largely we lurk, read, manage reports, flag things to each other etc. and make sure each voice can be heard, however contrary that may run (subject to the newly drafted ToS (extreme content etc.) - to be published shortly)

Lanrutcon

Yeah, the mods are too strict there, and it's not as fun as oldgaf. But honestly this place is too far gone in the opposite direction. In the end it boils down to whether you're more comfortable surrounded by feminazis or actual nazis.

Do tell? If the forum has actual Nazis posting then point them out: the resulting dogpile of mockery will be hilarious. Nobody likes Nazis.

Social media blewup. In the past, when people wanted to say they were angry, they could create their own website and write all their rants to a small audience.

But now that the internet has gotten more homogenized, the likes of youtube,twitter,facebook made it so those "angry bloggers" now have an audience that could reach millions of people in an instant.

I'll be honest and say the "SJW's" always existed. But their reach was limited to all the tiny blog sites or magazines. But because everyone uses or knows about twitter or youtube, they start vexing and immediately it begins to snowball.

Now as for why did people become "SJW" that remains a mystery. I think originally, it was people who had good intentions. Maybe they wanted to fight the good fight and be more proactive with their beliefs. But it no longer feels like equality and is just people looking to race bait at every opportunity.

I always had a bad feeling about social media from the days of Myspace, to me the internet should be an alternate reality, social media tries to blend the internet and reality and it's been disastrous.

The internet should not only be separate from your real life but it should also be an enhancement and not a replacement for things, it's like the fact that Amazon is killing physical retail stores, video stores are already a casualty and traditional media outlets for news and opinions are either dying or have adopted very internet like attitudes.

Trying to combine the internet with reality might have apocalyptic effects on society, death by information overload.

theclaw135

Banned
GAF lately has been good to me. I can discuss games with fewer trolls in the way than on other sites.

The instantaneous nature of social media lets troubling stuff be posted en masse too widely, too fast. By the time it's wiped, it's been spread to people's phones all over.

JordanN

Banned
I always had a bad feeling about social media from the days of Myspace, to me the internet should be an alternate reality, social media tries to blend the internet and reality and it's been disastrous.

The internet should not only be separate from your real life but it should also be an enhancement and not a replacement for things, it's like the fact that Amazon is killing physical retail stores, video stores are already a casualty and traditional media outlets for news and opinions are either dying or have adopted very internet like attitudes.

Trying to combine the internet with reality might have apocalyptic effects on society, death by information overload.
I also forgot to add one more thing.

Witch hunts.

This is what made the SJWs/Bloggers a real threat. They're not just ranting anymore, they're literally out to get people fired from their jobs.
Any info they find, even if the evidence is BS, they'll use it to target people.

I believe this is where Game Journalism came in. The press wrote hit pieces, the SJW's went along with it. Saying "this person is a racist/sexist" and the SJW's reacted and started digging up info on them.

Last edited:

Orpheum

Absolutely.

My mom works a lot with children/teenagers, she basically evaluates their strengths/weaknesses, IQ tests, family consulting for troubled children all that kind of stuff. Basically she talks a lot with these kids and of course also asks them what they want to do as a profession. Back in the day, the answers were varied, from Engineer, policeman, cook and whatever else, pretty much a huge variety of job wishes was present. Nowadays the almost universal answer is "instagrammer". These kids live their lifes through popular online figures and actually think that the life that's portrayed by these influencers is an accurate showcase of an everyday persons life. It's especially the teenagers who get so depressed over the fact that their reality isn't the same as those rich instagram people. It's horrible and this needs to stop

I like how they all constantly harping on about not objectifying women and other such stuff. Then most of them get themselves banned by posting pictures of objectified women lol. Fucking idiots the lot of em, good riddance.

ZiZ

Oh look.. Someone spend clearly too much time over there. I'm afraid it's too late for you to return into regular society buddy
Do tell? If the forum has actual Nazis posting then point them out: the resulting dogpile of mockery will be hilarious. Nobody likes Nazis.

There's a thread about right wing mobs in Germany beating up foreign looking people and many of the posts are justifying it.

I also forgot to add one more thing.

Witch hunts.

This is what made the SJWs/Bloggers a real threat. They're not just ranting anymore, they're literally out to get people fired from their jobs.
Any info they find, even if the evidence is BS, they'll use it to target people.

Since the days of Myspace it was a 4chan tactic to get someone's personal info and try to ruin their lives, fucking strange to think it's a tactic the left wing has adopted (and they hypocritically get mad when it's used against them)

I always felt uncomfortable having my name and photo online as far back as the days of Myspace or seeing friends and family on there, it felt creepy, I'm a pretty private person, I prefer online personas.

JordanN

Banned
I think ultimately though, social media is still an issue. These people speak of dogwhistles, completely unaware of their own 'yikes', 'y'all' and other online colloquialisms that are basically subversive flags akin to 'for the cause' tattoos. What was more interesting was the quick fire labelling of alt-right of the mods and members that liked the separation at reset. Sadly, this is still a prevalent smear campaign run against this site and its members which is quite damaging. But we'll continue doing what we're doing. We're fully invested in delivery of this platform, and on a large scale we believe we have a genuinely diverse, emotionally stable and politically balanced core membership. And we realise that there are a decent number of folks that left that have great depths of knowledge, and contribute huge amounts of content and we hope they do return over time. At the moment all we can do is keep building what we have planned out and to some extent we have to realise the benefit of the doubt won't be with us, so we need to show these changes and not just speak about them.

We had a thread recently about how many Trump supporters are on GAF.
Even if we subscribe to the dumb notion of "Trump = Hitler" only 20% of GAF actually supports him. Any actual alt-right users would be a tinier fraction of that, if non-existent.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/who-here-is-a-trump-supporter.1465011/

Last edited:

Redneckerz

There's a thread about right wing mobs in Germany beating up foreign looking people and many of the posts are justifying it.
But generalizations are a dangerous, and in your case, a provocative thing. This does not speak about GAF as a whole, yet you make it so.
You can report these posts if you feel they are what you say they are (I wouldn't know, i haven't seen the posts) which would be more valueable for the site then making a needlessly provocative equation at the end of your post.

theclaw135

Banned
I like how they all constantly harping on about not objectifying women and other such stuff. Then most of them get themselves banned by posting pictures of objectified women lol. Fucking idiots the lot of em, good riddance.

I guess so. Though I'm generally supportive of the issues it's in theory supposed to be about (much of the sexualization in the media is unnecessary, and so forth), their actual behavior leaves me baffled.

Since the days of Myspace it was a 4chan tactic to get someone's personal info and try to ruin their lives, fucking strange to think it's a tactic the left wing has adopted (and they hypocritically get mad when it's used against them)

I always felt uncomfortable having my name and photo online as far back as the days of Myspace or seeing friends and family on there, it felt creepy, I'm a pretty private person, I prefer online personas.

It's definitely true people have to get better educated about what personal info is OK to post online.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!

Ok let's see the posts where people are justifying beating up foreign looking people

Lanrutcon

You said "...actual Nazis...". I think you should reconsider your choice of words, and you'd make more sense. There are no actual Nazis in that thread.

That being said, the thread in question has posters with varying opinions hashing it out. That's what public forums are for. If you disagree with some of the views presented there: now is your chance to weigh in and maybe change some minds. (and if someone is directly advocating violence or worse: report them).

royox

It's funny now, but that was literally GAF not too long ago and people on other sites saw GAF in exactly the same way as we see ERA now. Glad that side was purged, let it never return.
Wasn't that "shitstorm" just because EvilLore had sex with his girlfriend?

ZiZ

But generalizations are a dangerous, and in your case, a provocative thing. This does not speak about GAF as a whole, yet you make it so.
You can report these posts if you feel they are what you say they are (I wouldn't know, i haven't seen the posts) which would be more valueable for the site then making a needlessly provocative equation at the end of your post.

I'm definitely not saying everyone on GAF are Nazi sympathizers, far from it. But even if it's just 10%. I don't want to be around them.

Ok let's see the posts where people are justifying beating up foreign looking people

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/germany-reels-as-far-right-mobs-go-on-rampage.1465157/

Cato

Banned
Peak GAF was post 911 GWB/early Obama GAF. We had a good decade or so run there.

I’m not entirely sold on either Resetera or NuGAF at this point. I like the new approach to moderation here, but too many of the threads devolve to “why are liberals ruining the world”. Resetera has more content and generally is a more interesting read, but I’m scared to post anything there.

The reason for the "why are liberals ruining the world” is simply because that liberals are very poor at cleaning up their side of the house.
Ask any conservative if they approve on Nazi or Racists. You will find that virtually everyone is strongly against Nazi and Racism, no matter what CNN wants you to think.
Virtually everyone, left or right are against Nazis and Racists. There is no divide. We are all against them. Unless you are a crazy fscked up millenial or something and you actually belive 50% of the world are actual
brown shirts.

The reason for the "why are liberals ruining the world” is simply because that liberals are very poor at cleaning up their side of the house.
The left really need to come down like a hammer and crush those fuckers in the extreme left that drive the racial divide.
The extreme crazy left are not the same as you normal people leftist, but you MUST distance yourself from those crazies or else people will
equivalence yourself with those crazy fucks.

Papa

Banned
Understandable.

I often just get so tired because there SO MUCH talk about ERA on GAF sometimes. Like, the most active threads here is about ERA.

It's annoying quite often.

Up until this thread, there has been only one thread that has been acting as a containment zone. If you choose to go in there and participate (which you have), you don’t get to complain about it later.

Redneckerz

I'm definitely not saying everyone on GAF are Nazi sympathizers, far from it.
Well, that is what you did when you made the equation. You didnt nuance it like you are doing it now. This is also why people respond to you in less than positive manners.

But i found the thread you were linking at and read some posts. Based on that, i wrote my own comment. Perhaps its worth a read for you. In that case, you can find my post here.

I see the rest is going off-topic, so if you wish, please make a remark in that thread or in a PM to me. :pie_ssmiling:

Snoopycat

Banned
I said before I mostly post on Sherdog. What funny to me is a forum dedicated to martial arts has better discussions about video games than most video game forums. There's no witch hunts or thinly veiled advertisements. They're not screaming at each other about graphics, or dogpiling someone who doesn't like a game made by their favourite company. They don't have mental breakdowns over women in bikinis, or thinly veiled pr threads. Mostly what you see are people talking about what they're playing and things they like. So, I was thinking how come a bunch of degenerate gym rats can chat about video games without any drama, but video gamers can't go 2 minutes before they start throwing hissy fits and temper tantrums.

pel1300

Genuinely curious how old most of the members there are. For me personally, growing up in a very liberal atmosphere with very liberal teachers made me a very politically correct person....then as I started doing my own research and getting more life experience I became less PC (though still identifying as a liberal).

I cringe at my teenage self. I was so naive and overly PC about things.

So I wonder how many of the members there are simply young, naive, and just textbook educated without much experience in the real world...if that's the case maybe they will become less SJW as they get older.

ILLtown

I've seen it happen with friends of mine who are further to the left than I am, or who moved in that direction over time. The further left they became, the less tolerance they had for anyone who disagreed with them, which in some cases led to them starting to cut people out of their lives (on social media).

I think it's easier for people to become radicalised online than some might believe. People get caught up on a wave of self-righteousness, believing that they're "on the right side of history", so anyone who disagrees with them is wrong by default. There's no discussion to be had because the outcome has already been decided. It's religious cult-like behaviour at that point.

It's a weird mix of extreme identity politics and a desire to either be a victim, or to amplify the victimhood of other people or groups. As to why people get caught up by this, I'm not 100% sure. I think in some cases, people who start off as progressives get sucked into echo chambers and end up being radicalised. In other cases, I think it's narcissism and/or projection; shitty people can create this online persona where they're super-woke and the praise they get feels good. It absolves people of personal responsibility too; if their life is shitty, they have a boogeyman whose feet they can lay 100% of the blame at. Also, it does seem like mental illness is over-represented amongst these people. There's a lot of talk about depression, anxiety and so on, and that can obviously affect a person's thinking and view on life.

JordanN

Banned
Ask any conservative if they approve on Nazi or Racists. You will find that virtually everyone is strongly against Nazi and Racism, no matter what CNN wants you to think.
Virtually everyone, left or right are against Nazis and Racists. There is no divide. We are all against them. Unless you are a crazy fscked up millenial or something and you actually belive 50% of the world are actual
brown shirts.

The left really need to come down like a hammer and crush those fuckers in the extreme left that drive the racial divide.
The extreme crazy left are not the same as you normal people leftist, but you MUST distance yourself from those crazies or else people will
equivalence yourself with those crazy fucks.

Ironically, Trump did deport a real Nazi recently.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/21/us-deports-nazi-war-crimes-suspect-to-germany

I bet this blew many people's minds, because it means Trump is not actually "lazy", or that deporting criminals works.

Last edited:

Cato

Banned
What's the basis for your speculation that 10% of NeoGAF users are Nazi sympathizers? That's an extreme accusation.

I had real family, real people, that died to real Nazi, in real Germany, in real ww2, and those that survived got liberated by soviet soldiers.

I really get worked up when some high school probably white upper middle class revolutionary starts throwing the word Nazi around as some "I disagree with you".
ZiZ does not know shit about what a Nazi is. I actually envy him for that. I would like to not know personally what Nazis are like too.

Last edited:

Orpheum

I said before I mostly post on Sherdog. What funny to me is a forum dedicated to martial arts has better discussions about video games than most video game forums. There's no witch hunts or thinly veiled advertisements. They're not screaming at each other about graphics, or dogpiling someone who doesn't like a game made by their favourite company. They don't have mental breakdowns over women in bikinis, or thinly veiled pr threads. Mostly what you see are people talking about what they're playing and things they like. So, I was thinking how come a bunch of degenerate gym rats can chat about video games without any drama, but video gamers can't go 2 minutes before they start throwing hissy fits and temper tantrums.

I think the hyperbole is most of the time completely unjustified, however, you need to distinguish one core Forum direction to another. A Forum that's mostly consisting of gym rats might not be as passionate about videogames as a forum that's mostly dedicated to videogames, it's more of a hardcore hobby for users there and of course they are more passionate about it and things might get heated.

I absolutely see your point though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom