• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 1.5 10 minute video

LaneDS

I love that old Capcom logo movie thing they had back in the early PS1 days.

Edit: I'd love to play this and the original Resident Evil 4 at some point, so cool seeing this work in progress stuff.

EctoPrime

Saitou said:
Older than the internet, but always brings a smile.

Not this video, it appears the has Playstation Museum a copy and the video is showing off brand new playable areas not seen before, not even seen from the hacked background files found on the RE2 demo packaged with the directors cut.

I have to say stuff like this always makes me smile, I love seeing crazy beta/demo/unreleased/old version/hidden video clips of games I could only read about and see still-screen-shots of in mags back in the days.

<3 the Internet.

Makes me feel like I'm watching some secret clip that wasn't supposed to get released. :lol Canceled game clips, fully changed from the released game but heres the old version clips, whatever clips! I love em.

Saitou

Banned
EctoPrime said:
Not this video, it appears the has Playstation Museum a copy and the video is showing off brand new playable areas not seen before, not even seen from the hacked background files found on the RE2 demo packaged with the directors cut.
Interesting. Does it show more grenade usage? I'm at work so no watching it for me :(

klee123

Wow, in terms of actual locations, a lot of rooms in research labs were actually used in the final cut. Also, I noticed that some of the music was actually used in in the final game too, but only in Hunk and Tofu's scenarios.

Was any of this footage shown in the special bonus disc which came with the Japanese version of RE: DC ? I'm kinda surprised with the quality of the footage, Most of the RE1.5 footage I've seen in the past was much inferior in terms of video and sound quality.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i think it's generally obvious watching that video that what we got was a much better, more imaginative game. that looks like resident evil: concrete

EctoPrime

Saitou said:
Interesting. Does it show more grenade usage? I'm at work so no watching it for me :(

No grenades just the handgun and shotgun plus Leon trying to knife some apelike zombie outside the first saveroom in the umbrella labs found in the normal RE2.

Jme

I can confirm that this is in fact new, and 100% legit.

It is "1.5", aka Biohazard 2 - The Cancelled Version. It's completely different from what Biohazard 2 eventually became. This is not a hack of the demo disc, guaranteed.

Laurent

It is 1.5 since they were developing 2. Now if only there was a playable version of Biohazard 3.5...

That's the FIRST time you see Retarded Tyrant/Nemesis, that's for sure!

klee123

handofg0d said:

It is "1.5", aka Biohazard 2 - The Cancelled Version. It's completely different from what Biohazard 2 eventually became. This is not a hack of the demo disc, guaranteed.

I wonder if someone actually owns a CD-R copy of this game and actually made this video. This is the first time I've seen this footage as well.

Aggelos

handofg0d said:

Yes its new footage from Biohazard 2 Prototype (aka Resident Evil 1.5) . It was scrapped at 70%.
Even Bioflames doesn't have some of those unseen scenes

http://www.bioflames.com/default.htm

Now I want to see more of the unreleased versions of RE4!

Especially the one they released a nice clip of awhile back.

I love RE4 so much I'd just like to see what other things they had in mind for it.

You know, I wonder why Capcom doesn't do a quick and dirty RE1.5 remake for the Wii using the RE4 engine and touched up Outbreak locales from UC? Make it a 15-20 hour Elza Walker side story or something.

Jme

klee123 said:
I wonder if someone actually owns a CD-R copy of this game and actually made this video. This is the first time I've seen this footage as well.

Yes, they do.

klee123 said:
Was any of this footage shown in the special bonus disc which came with the Japanese version of RE: DC ? I'm kinda surprised with the quality of the footage, Most of the RE1.5 footage I've seen in the past was much inferior in terms of video and sound quality.

No, all that footage on the YouTube video was new. I have the disc that comes with the Director's Cut of Biohazard, and they're only short little clips. Interestingly enough, this new footage shows none of the supporting characters, as they apparantly played bigger parts in the prototype version. Leon was shown leading at least two characters through the sewers at one point.

Aggelos

Conrad Link said:

I love RE4 so much I'd just like to see what other things they had in mind for it.

Probably the data is burried. We are talking about scrapped/cancelled versions here. You can say goodbye to all those version (especially the Biohazard 2 prototype)

Soul4ger

They've never released any RE1.5 stuff because it just wasn't very good. That's why it got canned in the first place. Thank God Kamiya took over, because RE2 is fucking God and this looks like bunk. I still enjoy seeing the unreleased stuff, though, like that earlier poster said.

Capndrake

Gorilla boss? o_O

I would've liked to play as Marvin and the gun shop guy myself (They were going to be major characters originally, right?).

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Aggelos said:
Probably the data is burried. We are talking about scrapped/cancelled versions here. You can say goodbye to all those version (especially the Biohazard 2 prototype)

cntrl + i

Soul4ger said:
They've never released any RE1.5 stuff because it just wasn't very good. That's why it got canned in the first place. Thank God Kamiya took over, because RE2 is fucking God and this looks like bunk. I still enjoy seeing the unreleased stuff, though, like that earlier poster said.
It does look a bit like RE1 crossed with RE2 environments and the slight lameness of RE0.

It's terribly fascinating.

Jme

disappeared said:
I think he's talking about the prototype where Leon was on an airship.

Ah, my mistake. But let's look at it this way. If we are still uncovering prototypes of RE2, why would it be out of the question to find RE4 prototypes?

Saitou

Banned
Conrad Link said:

That became Haunting Ground, got average reviews. Remember "hey, it's that dog" from RE4? That's a cameo from HG.

What would kick ass would be some info on the version of RE4 that became DMC. As far as I know, nothing has been released on that. But that may be cause it never really took off

handofg0d said:
Ah, my mistake. But let's look at it this way. If we are still uncovering prototypes of RE2, why would it be out of the question to find RE4 prototypes?
it wouldn't. espescially given that there were playable versions of at least one demonstrated. i'm mostly interested in the completely secret one they never showed anything from.

saitou... i saw a tonne of information on the one that became DMC. wish i could remember the site. i'll see if i can find it.

EctoPrime

plagiarize said:
the footage around 7:20 makes me think they recycled some of this in RE3...

True it does seem like it as the gameworld seems to be much larger and spread out, the zombies seem like a mix from RE and RE3. The drain deimos from 3 seems to have similiar animations to the spider thing aswell. Then again Leon having a knife holster made it into 4.

mollipen

klee123 said:

I know somebody who supposedly has a playable burn of 1.5. I kept asking him to loan it to me so that I could try it out, but he kept forgetting to bring it with him. *evil look in his direction*

And sorry, but 2 is my least favorite game in the series, so I'd love to have had a chance to play this.

Laurent

shidoshi said:
I know somebody who supposedly has a playable burn of 1.5. I kept asking him to loan it to me so that I could try it out, but he kept forgetting to bring it with him. *evil look in his direction*

And sorry, but 2 is my least favorite game in the series, so I'd love to have had a chance to play this.
He's lying, I am sorry but when someone keeps forgeting something so incredible, he's lying... If it was true, he would be excited to show it to you ASAP!

mollipen

Laurent said:
He's lying, I am sorry but when someone keeps forgeting something so incredible, he's lying... If it was true, he would be excited to show it to you ASAP!

In most cases, yes, I'd agree. The person it was, and the situation it was in, however, made it a different story. I should talk to him again about it (or wait to see if he shows up in this thread), because it's also possible that what he had and what I thought he had were two different things.

Laurent

shidoshi said:
In most cases, yes, I'd agree. The person it was, and the situation it was in, however, made it a different story. I should talk to him again about it (or wait to see if he shows up in this thread), because it's also possible that what he had and what I thought he had were two different things.
Then I really wish I am wrong! :lol

Saitou

Banned
plagiarize said:
saitou... i saw a tonne of information on the one that became DMC. wish i could remember the site. i'll see if i can find it.
I'd really appreciate it.

O:

GET THE FUCK OUT

Saitou said:
That became Haunting Ground, got average reviews. Remember "hey, it's that dog" from RE4? That's a cameo from HG.

What would kick ass would be some info on the version of RE4 that became DMC. As far as I know, nothing has been released on that. But that may be cause it never really took off
I thought Haunting Ground was a Clock Tower game?

Segata Sanshiro said:
I thought Haunting Ground was a Clock Tower game?
That too. Haunting Ground is a mash up of what was going to be a new Clock Tower and bits of the Hooked Man version of RE4.

My memory is a little hazy, was the cage full of zombies in RE2? It looks very familiar but I don't remember it from the game at all. Is it possible I saw screenshots of this in a magazine back in the day? Even Eliza seems familiar, but from a long time ago.

This is kind of OT but can anyone tell me if Umbrella were put to rest in CV? Was that island meant to be the 'European facility' mentioned in 2? The very worst thing about RE4 was the lack of Umbrella and the T-virus. I really hope they bring both back for RE5, the macguffin in 4 kind of sucked to be honest.

Saitou

Banned
freethought said:
This is kind of OT but can anyone tell me if Umbrella were put to rest in CV? Was that island meant to be the 'European facility' mentioned in 2? The very worst thing about RE4 was the lack of Umbrella and the T-virus. I really hope they bring both back for RE5, the macguffin in 4 kind of sucked to be honest.
No, the island is somewhere in the Pacific, if memory serves. Claire is captured while raiding the European facility (in Paris, again if memory serves) and is sent to prison there.

Top Bottom