• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 and 3 Remakes Were Originally Planned As a Single Package – Rumour

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Speaking after yesterday’s State of Play on Kinda Funny Games, Imran Khan – formerly of Game Informer – said that according to people he knows at Capcom, the remakes for Resident Evil 2 and 3 were originally meant to be released together, but that the project started suffering multiple delays- Resident Evil 2 was supposed to be out a whole year earlier, in fact. In order to avoid any more delays, Capcom decided to split the two releases, and also decided to add Resident Evil: Resistance to Resident Evil 3, so they could bette justify it as a separate release.

“Talking to people who are close to Capcom, from what I understand, [RE3] and Resident Evil 2 were originally a part of one package, but it was too much work,” he said. “The games were getting delayed and Resident Evil 2 was supposed to be released a year earlier than it did. So they split them up. That’s why [RE3’s remake] is coming so quickly.”

“I think this has been worked on for three years,” Khan added. “It was part of that initial package originally, that’s why they’re combining it with Project Resistance, [which was] initially another game that Capcom picked up and put the Resident Evil license on. They were like, ‘well, if we can justify [RE3] coming so soon…’ So they’re putting it together.”

Do you really think Capcom are so stupid to leave money on the table? Of course not!

Yeah, they wouldn't leave that RE3 money on the table. Clearly both RE2 and RE3 were developed at the same time, because many locations in 3 overlap with 2. It was easy for the development team to make all the assets at the same time. If anyone ever amused the idea of including RE3 as DLC or as a doublepack with RE2, was probably shot down pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I wouldn't be that shocked. I loved RE2 and even got the plat, but after your first couple playthroughs you really get a good sense of how small the scale really is. Fantastic game, so that's not a complaint. It's just a reality.

Belmonte

Hard to believe. Only if by "planned" they mean some dude giving this idea in the planning meeting, everyone laugh and he is fired. Too much money to lose by doing this.

I love Capcom but we are talking about a company which sold DMC2 HD apart from DMC1 and DMC3 in the Switch some months ago.

Gargus

Banned
So this is a rumor about something that has been proven to not be true? Why even bother posting this shit?

I mean maybe it would have been post worthy if re2 hadn't come out yet, but it's been out like almost a year.

Sudaca

Neo Member
Yeah, they wouldn't leave that RE3 money on the table. Clearly both RE2 and RE3 were developed at the same time, because many locations in 3 overlap with 2. It was easy for the development team to make all the assets at the same time. If anyone ever amused the idea of including RE3 as DLC or as a doublepack with RE2, was probably shot down pretty quickly.

"because many locations in 3 overlap with 2." Actually there aren`t many locations that overlap with RE2. It was a very minor portion of the game. I agree though that both games could have been developed at the same time, partially at least. In fact I always thought that RE3 could come as a DLC.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Money move

Every move is a money move. That's what is known as business.

Capcom would have been stupid not to sell these games individually. RE2 is my 2019 GOTY and worth every penny. I'll gladly support buying both in hopes it results in more games like them - either remakes or new games.

Personally, I want to see RE1 get another remake in the style of 2 and 3. There's also Code Veronica and RE0.

With the quality that RE2 delivered, they would have been burning money by releasing them both together in a 60 dollar package. I also call bullshit on putting Resistance in with 3 to increase the value of 3. I think if anything, Capcom probably saw a lack of enthusiasm for Resistance and had flashbacks of Umbrella Corps and decided to use 3 as the trojan horse. More people try Resistance, they earn good will from it's inclusion, and maybe people stick around long enough for them to sell micro-transactions. I mean RE2 can be beat in like 90 minutes and people love it. 3 didn't need Resistance, Resistance needs RE3. Game length has never been the key selling points of a RE game. They thrive on their challenging first run and replay-ability, going for the perfect run is what has always given these games longevity. Well, outside of Mercs anyways, don't know why they didn't try to make that a standalone thing on consoles and pc. It's easily the best multiplayer RE experience ever.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I doubt that was true. I mean the idea may have existed, but I would find it hard to believe that any significant development time was dedicated to the direction.

I still remember the REmake 2 game design document stuff the Capcom devs shared on Twitter and there was no mention of RE3 on that. Now, maybe they had an idea to incorporate the events of RE3 in REmake 2, but that would have made for a dramatically different and expanded game.

Furthermore, the fact that a separate studio has been working on RE3 indicates that such a direction was probably not pursued for very long if at all.

Either way, REmake 2 was a tremendously well made game and easily worth the price at launch if you ask me.

MiguelItUp

I don't know if I believe this. But man, can you imagine?! That would've been an incredible package. Like a new Orange Box!

Kev Kev

although it sounds like bullshit, had that actually happened it would have gone over like a turd in a punch bowl

"because many locations in 3 overlap with 2." Actually there aren`t many locations that overlap with RE2. It was a very minor portion of the game. I agree though that both games could have been developed at the same time, partially at least. In fact I always thought that RE3 could come as a DLC.

yeah, I guess it only used part of the police station and some streets. But the developers probably re-used many assets from RE2. Some of the locations will be reused, they could probably reuse zombies and other models. I could see people at Capcom thinking about including 2 in 3 in the same package. But Resident Evil 2 basically sells itself. Resident Evil 3 is a mainline game in the franchise and Capcom can sell it at a $50-60 price point and make more money as a stand alone product.

Top Bottom