• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 (probably) getting a 1-shot demo on Xbox store

EssKayZee

From Gematsu:

True Achivements has discovered a Microsoft Store description for a 30-minute “1-Shot” demo for Resident Evil 2 due out at the beginning of the year. Here is the demo's description:

This specially tuned demo allows you to experience the newly reimagined Resident Evil 2, but be warned: whilst you can continue as many times as you like after dying, you’ll only have 30 MINUTES to complete the demo

Details at link.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I’m so looking forward to this game, but I’m worried that they will drop the ball with the X version. Monster Hunter World was pathetic in showing for the X... But DMCV demo was much better, but still not as good as it could be.

Regardless, the game could be 540p 30fps and I’ll still play the shit out of it. It’s RE2.

Larxia

From what I read, It sounds like it's a 30 minutes "total" limitation, probably something per account that locks itself once the 30 minutes are over, like a limited trial, and not just a regular "timed" demo that some people here seem to think about.

Last edited:

xviper

so it's a 30 minutes trial

if it starts from the beginning of the game then i'll pass, if not, then i'll try it, don't want to get spoiled even though i already finished the original

I'm going to pass on playing the demo, because all these demos, leaks and trailers sometimes spoil the experience. Because I recall that when RE7 was due out, we got a 30 minute demo of you in the house with the Bakers, and it was a bit too much in terms of the detail. I'd rather just buy a game on day one, and see all the highlights unfold before my eyes, as opposed to seeing lots of stuff beforehand that takes from the end result of being surprised. If people want to play the demo that are maybe only just getting into the RE saga, then I'd say that's fine. But one thing about Capcom is that they often shove too much up our butts before the official release window.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Well, 1080 / 2070 owners, there's no way that you can play this game even in 1080p max settings cuz the game eats almost 11GB of VRAM and only for max textures alone you need 8GB VRAM)))))))

Here's which settings I used to gain semi-stable (for sure old driver issue which is not optimized for this game) 60 on my rig (4790K @4.4 GHz, 16GB RAM, AUROS 1080Ti):

RIR4SxJ.jpg

hvgglmf.jpg

2HkTxNG.jpg

tLjKprk.jpg

U8eezZR.jpg

And who might thought that Radeon VII actually have a purpose now:

F6hOqUh.jpg
Over 13GB VRAM in 4K internal render resolution o_O

Holy crap this game looks absolutely stunning! They've massively upgraded RE Engine and RE7 looks almost like junk right now even on max settings in 4K. Simply amazing! In my oppinion, this is the third truly next-gen game after Arkham Knight and Quantum Break, not to mention that the system requirements in case of RE2 (same goes for Arkham Knight and Quantum Break) actually make sense and completely justifyable.

P.S. VRAM detector is broken in this demo btw.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Quoting myself from another thread since it's relevant to the above. This was in DX12 and everything to its highest/max/most complex setting and my 8GB VRAM wasn't maxed except when using 200% SS.
Well, just to add to this, I played the demo a bit but I sucked and didn't progress too much before my time expired. This was my GPU/VRAM usage with max settings (even CA etc) on a GTX1080. In the menu it said I would need 12GB+ and it could result in errors but in the end it didn't need that much though it came close enough to 8GB. Of course the full game or different areas could be a whole different deal.
1ggcoy.jpg

I have to say it doesn't look too impressive and can get aliased despite TAA+FXAA combo option but it's fairly pretty and solid. Some things can look pretty grainy like I think the self shadowing on character faces and the reflections can look off. Some assets seems to have blurry/muddy textures/look too and the lens distortion effect, I have no idea what it's supposed to make better but I have to say the game looks quite a bit cleaner and sharper if you disable all the blur/dof/filmgrain/distortion stuff. Edit: I just experimented with the supersampling, I could maybe do solid 30fps @ 200% 1080p. Big maybe though.
So for now max settings on a 1080 @ 1080p/60fps seems doable, we'll see if the full game/other areas differ and approach the requirements the menu states. There are also the various effects settings you can change/reduce/disable based on preference rather than for performance reasons, though I don't know if those affect anything enough to matter. Or maybe some people will prefer to not even have reflections rather than have reflections that can look very off depending on what's happening, that would certainly affect performance. We'll see how to tinker with it in the end...

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The one thing I've learned from playing through RE7 on max with 1.8 internal render resolution in 1080p - the game eats almost 11GB VRAM in some instances, were as in others not more than 8,5-9,2/3. So for sure RE2 won't be using for exemple all 11 or almost 14GB with internal render resolution set to 200 (which is basically 4K) or even lover in 1080p all of the time you play the game.

VRAM usage will be variable no doubt about it, but to get the best experience and to prevent loading in-game assets from HDD or SSD which is WAY slower that VRAM data rates and can cause stutters, FPS drops or overal unstable experience, there's no way around it - you need 1080Ti / 2080 Ti / Radeon VII to almost (in 1080Ti / 2080Ti's case cuz VRAM usage can rise in some cases above available 11GB) max out the game at least in 1080p.

Right now we can't tell for sure how release version will behave in terms of VRAM usage and maybe game ready drivers will reduce its usage. We also don't know for sure if VRAM calculator works as intended in this demo and showing correct numbers, but we know for sure that VRAM detector is not working. All in all, I hope Capcom will tell us more abaut all this so that we can tell how much VRAM the game truly uses and how much of it we need to prevent stability problems.

As for some post effect settings in the game (lens flares, DOF, motion blur, distortions etc,) I've turned a lot of them off cuz they make the game look worse or like J.J. Abrams-fest, not to mention that DOF is broken just like in ME Andromeda and make cut-scenes / conversations look worse. There's also 3-4 very demanding settings which on highest value don't offer better visuals so it is better to lover them down 1 notch and don't lose anything.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I end up playing the demo and I really, REALLY like the controls, it felt great but god damn these zombies don't go down easy, do they? I couldn't finish the demo under 30 minutes because I have habit of exploring everything. I definitely made me even more hype for the game.

I don’t get this whole one shot thing. I emptied my whole clip, but could continue playing for the half an hour. Blurry like anything, so a no buy for me.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don’t get this whole one shot thing. I emptied my whole clip, but could continue playing for the half an hour. Blurry like anything, so a no buy for me.
I admit the these zombies are stubborn but “emptied who clip”? Couple of shot in the head and they would go down.

nkarafo

Can you replay those 30 minutes from start or you uninstall it after they pass?

I will probably burn the whole timer fiddling with the graphics settings.

-MD-

Can you replay those 30 minutes from start or you uninstall it after they pass?

I will probably burn the whole timer fiddling with the graphics settings.

No, 30 minutes total and the demo is gone. The timer doesn't count down when in menus or inventory.

I see what you did there.

But seriously, you are not going to buy a game of this caliber because it looks a bit blurry? Seriously? It's like saying yea, I'm not gonna watch the new (insert your favorite director here) film because he switched to a different film camera. I hope you were just trolling.

TacosNSalsa

The one thing I've learned from playing through RE7 on max with 1.8 internal render resolution in 1080p - the game eats almost 11GB VRAM in some instances, were as in others not more than 8,5-9,2/3. So for sure RE2 won't be using for exemple all 11 or almost 14GB with internal render resolution set to 200 (which is basically 4K) or even lover in 1080p all of the time you play the game.

VRAM usage will be variable no doubt about it, but to get the best experience and to prevent loading in-game assets from HDD or SSD which is WAY slower that VRAM data rates and can cause stutters, FPS drops or overal unstable experience, there's no way around it - you need 1080Ti / 2080 Ti / Radeon VII to almost (in 1080Ti / 2080Ti's case cuz VRAM usage can rise in some cases above available 11GB) max out the game at least in 1080p.

Right now we can't tell for sure how release version will behave in terms of VRAM usage and maybe game ready drivers will reduce its usage. We also don't know for sure if VRAM calculator works as intended in this demo and showing correct numbers, but we know for sure that VRAM detector is not working. All in all, I hope Capcom will tell us more abaut all this so that we can tell how much VRAM the game truly uses and how much of it we need to prevent stability problems.

As for some post effect settings in the game (lens flares, DOF, motion blur, distortions etc,) I've turned a lot of them off cuz they make the game look worse or like J.J. Abrams-fest, not to mention that DOF is broken just like in ME Andromeda and make cut-scenes / conversations look worse. There's also 3-4 very demanding settings which on highest value don't offer better visuals so it is better to lover them down 1 notch and don't lose anything.
Does afterburner or faps have vram in their OSD? If so how accurate are they? Also do they rely on the game to tell them or can they read it directly from the graphics card? I had afterburner osd running from time to time but dont rember seeing a vram usage.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Does afterburner or faps have vram in their OSD?
Fraps can only show FPS and nothing more.

If so how accurate are they? Also do they rely on the game to tell them or can they read it directly from the graphics card?
Basically same thing as RAM monitoring in Windows task manager and yes, it's pretty accurate.

I had afterburner osd running from time to time but dont rember seeing a vram usage.
Afterburner has a ton of monitoring stuff to use in OSD and of course memory (VRAM) usage too:

DSddBAR.jpg

TacosNSalsa

Fraps can only show FPS and nothing more.

Basically same thing as RAM monitoring in Windows task manager and yes, it's pretty accurate.

Afterburner has a ton of monitoring stuff to use in OSD and of course memory (VRAM) usage too:

DSddBAR.jpg
Ahh okay! Thanks! I saw memory usage and thought RAM . It is bunched with the GPU displays should've known better

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
So, DX12 is busted for Pascal. Retested the game in DX11 now and performance is way better and so much so, that I even bumped up internal render resolution to 170 from 160 in 1080p, shadows to High and Valumetric Lighting to Medium and never saw a deep below 65 FPS with everything else maxed (with SSAO instead of HBAO+ and Shadows Cache set ot "Off"). Granted we don't yet have a game ready driver which can probably fix DX12 performance (I highly doubt it), but given that there's literally ZERO difference in image quality between DX12 and DX11, that there's basically no need to even use the latest API and get the worse performance.

Also and on a side note, the new version of RE Engine is so much flexable and customizable, that I seriously think that Capcom can port the game to Swith no problem and I won't be surprised if they'll do just that eventualy, maybe even later this year.

Last edited:
The game apparently has glitches. A YouTuber known as Michael Does Life posted a video of Leon repeatedly ascending and descending a ladder, yet two zombies could not attack him. Also, if you shoot the zombies behind the gate in the courtyard near the entrance to the police station, the zombies do not even die.

Top Bottom