• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 (PS1) Released 24 Years Ago Today

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Arguably the best RE game before RE4 came out.

What are folks memories relating to the game here ?

For me, this is where I got introduced to the franchise. Played the original RE1 after the fact, RE2 is an amazing game and while Capcom themselves have all but abandoned the original trilogy, it's encouraging to see fan efforts like the Seamless HD project to AI enhance the backgrounds and improve FMV quality.

maxresdefault.jpg

Good old days. B scenario with the Tyrant where he isn't chasing you all the time is way scarier than the shit in the remake where you hear him constantly stomping arround. Who the fuck thought this was a good idea and scary??🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

tommib

I think the original Resident Evil is miles better but that’s because I prefer haunted gothic houses. This was already too actiony for my horror taste. Remake was awesome though and we need more of that.

Resident Evil 2 has an amazing soundtrack I’ll give you that:

Mr Hyde

A classic. I remember being so hyped for this and Xenogears in 98. Resi 2 took everything good with the original and turned it up to 11. So many good scares and unexpected twists and turns. Massive in scope compared to the first game. My favorite moment is B scenario when Mr X chases after you, punching through walls and shit. Terrifying stuff. Nemesis couldn't top RE2 and I remember being disappointed by it. Luckily, the franchise bounced back with Code Veronica.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Amazing game, truly as good as people make it out to be. Flawless game in my opinion and it's just stuffed to the gills with content. 4 different scenarios, unlockables. So damn good.

I first became interested in RE from reading a GI preview for the first game, it always stuck with me but I went the N64 route. My older bro and I got a PSX shortly after RE2 released and lots of my schoolmates at 7th grade had the RE2 pre-order t-shirt, I wanted to play the games so bad.

I ended up playing RE 1996 first but then went right into RE2 afterwards, damn good times. I was playing RE2 the other night while chatting with my buddy via headset, just reliving those early days of RE with him. Those games never get old to us.

Also RIP Paul Haddad, he will always be the best iteration of Leon. I'm honestly not much of a fan of RE4 Leon, definitely don't like RE6 Leon. Dude is just an edgy anime character now. edit- that's why I'm excited for the possibility for RE4 remake. RE4 has amazing gameplay but the story is underwhelming to say the least, Leon too as a character. Just too drastic a change. Hopefully RE4 being remade will allow Leon to have a better progression as a character. RE really went off the rails from CVX onwards and I'm hoping Capcom continues to reign it in and have more grounded characters. The story itself will never be realistic but that doesn't mean we can't have characters that the player can relate to in terms of their dialogue and motivations.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Blow my mind when I play it in PC.

Amazing story, swap system, a mature game with gore explícit.

The Hunk CGI scene is the best of the series.

The Ost is like a Film of Terminator.

One of the Best games that i play in my life.

I play it when I was 13 years old and Sherry was my Crush... Lol 😂

Last edited:

bArTl3bY

This game was my entire life for years and if I'm being honest, swaps back and forth with the original as my favorite of all time. Got a PSX for Christmas in 1997 along with RE Director's Cut and was hooked on the RE 2 demo. Begged my mom to reserve a copy at Electronics Boutique (remember those, ha) and was the first game I ever had preordered even though that wasn't really a term back then.

It's such an incredible experience through and through, soundtrack is timeless, and the remake is a damn good time as well. I was in eighth grade when it released...time sure flies, doesn't it?

Valt7786

The series that got me into gaming.
Remember reading the same article for RE 1 for so long before finally getting a PS1 and a copy of the RE 1 Directors cut with it. Played the utter balls out of it.
Then read every magazine i could with an RE 2 article, was so hyped for it. Got home from school and ma had picked it up for me, played all afternoon and evening, woke up super early next morning and finished Leon's A campaign before school. Good times.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
One of the games that convinced me a I needed a Playstation when I already had an N64. When I got a PSX for Christmas, I finally got to buy RE2 from a local video game shop when I was 12 and the guy behind the counter got all serious, looked me in the eye and said "I want you to wait until it's dark to play this, and turn off all the lights."

He was right!

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I like the original better but this one is almost on the same level. Good days… Back when you didn‘t know what you’re getting into. Still remember finishing the game and then going like… what? Scenario B? Great stuff.

I dunno if I‘ll remain the avid gamer I am today forever but I will always play RE, no matter what. Best series ever.

spookyfish

I took some vacation time, went to my parents’ house in Texas. Woke up, went to the nearby Toys R Us, snagged a “flyer,” paid for it, then went and got it from the cage. Spent the next five days playing it over and over. Great game, and great memory.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I remember getting on the bus to go to the city centre to pick my copy up from Virgin Mega Stores.
I miss those days...
And yes, I smelt the book on the way home 😅

Last edited:

Star-Lord

Nothing comes close in terms of pure fear than the first encounter with a Licker. Still sends shivers down my spine to this day. The remake only made it ten times worse.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Bought the N64 version(pal) when it came out. I was 11 years old at the time and I think I picked it up by myself at the store... lol. Game was mad expansive, with today's currency over 100 euro's.

Top Bottom