• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake - December '18 Gameplay Videos and Previews

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Have I understood correctly that the remake will be played with an over the shoulder camera as opposed to the originals set cameras?

Doesn't that completely change the gameplay? This was def on my list to buy but if they've changed the gameplay like that I'm not really interested tbh.

-MD-

Have I understood correctly that the remake will be played with an over the shoulder camera as opposed to the originals set cameras?

Doesn't that completely change the gameplay? This was def on my list to buy but if they've changed the gameplay like that I'm not really interested tbh.

Yep, it's a new take on the original.

I really can't imagine anyone being a fan of RE2 and not being at least a little excited to play this, it looks excellent and I was hardcore team fixed camera before the reveal.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I mean if you wanted it so faithful you might as well replay the original, it still exists as is >_>

This looks flipping amazing and I can't wait to see all the story/setpiece/scenario/whatever changes too :)

Last edited:

nkarafo

Before the game gets released the whole thing will already be seen through videos.

I had Metroid Prime ruined because of this in the past, not doing it again.

Edit: The one thing i can tell from the previews is that it looks a bit washed out? Like the contrast is very low. Is that how the game really looks?

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Man, the constant presence of Mr X is going to completely ruin Claire's version of the game. Even watching videos I wish he'd just fuck off.

OrionNebula

Mr X seems to be everywhere, all the time (Claire, Leon and Ada as well, now)

This is just about the only thing that worries me with the game so far (also, it looks lile it’s going to be pretty damn hard to complete compared to the original - game looks generally pretty tough)

If Mr X is that present and constantly on your heels in this one, can you imagine what they’d do with Nemesis if they’d re-do RE3...

Aggelos

Nice titbits from the interview above

Q:For fans of Resident Evil 2, the initial version named RE 1.5 remains mysterious. What elements did you decide to restore?

There is only one, it is the shooting stand at the police station that we have resurrected. So there is now in the police station! Even if it is more present for the sake of realism than by will to resuscitate an element of an abandoned version.

Q:How did you come up with the idea of Elza Walker's DLC costume?

This is a request from Hirabayashi San, he likes the character of Elza.There were debates on this, some refused to see his costume in the game, others came up with the idea of integrating Elza into a bonus character, which was impossible (laugh), so it became Elza's costume for Claire.

Q: What did you decide for the Leon and Claire scenarios this time? Is it not a burden to have 4 turns of scenarios as in the original?

Given the recent trend, we focused on two darker scenarios this time. It's a story about Commissioner Irons and Kendo. Scenes that were not in the original "RE2" have been added. Kendo himself is put in a more dramatic situation. Marvin's treatment has also become much larger than the original "RE2" version. And to keep the player in suspense, the entire final scene will be visible only after playing both scenarios.

Q:Fans like the company "Umbrella" as an enemy in the series, but "Umbrella" closed the curtain with "RE4". Is there no reason to try to revive the pharmaceutical company in the future of the series?

For us, "Umbrella", a true symbol of evil is attractive, but for the moment, no recovery plan is envisaged. Although we can not say anything about it. In Resident Evil 2, you will be happy to review the logo of the brand drawn on the walls!
As for the creatures, we have not added new ones, but the situation in which the creature G appears for example, is quite different from the original version, so I think you will feel some novelty through the bestiary known. Moreover, William G will be transformed in a totally different way according to his different mutations. So I hope you look forward to it. We have also added new guns and gadgets.

Last edited:

-MD-

So apparently the classic A/B scenario system is in the game after all...

I‘m a tad bit confused...

I don't buy it, they probably just have key moments during each campaign that both experience so if someone only plays 1 character they still get the full story.

Aggelos

I don't buy it, they probably just have key moments during each campaign that both experience so if someone only plays 1 character they still get the full story.

Same here. ROE try to make a scoop out of nothing. They are youtubers and need to make dough by creating content.

This far, what has been said through the interviews is that you need to play both campaigns in order to see the complete ending of the game.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Dunno. He sure is right about pointing out that you see both Claire and Leon in the same fight with Birkin, which does not really make sense with two completely separate campaigns.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Yep, it's a new take on the original.

I really can't imagine anyone being a fan of RE2 and not being at least a little excited to play this, it looks excellent and I was hardcore team fixed camera before the reveal.

I've never been a big fan of the RE over the shoulder games. I don't dislike OTS games at all - I really like them. But the control on the RE games just doesn't feel precise enough or smooth enough for me.

Although yes I have to admit looking at some of those videos does peak my interest. But it's no longer day 1 for me I think. More a sales game.

Paracelsus

Sometimes the camera feels more cumbersome than the original.

Look at where Mr.X is, and how you can't either see him coming from the back or anything at all, because the camera is way too narrow and you don't know if you're backing yourself into a corner. Very, very awkward.

Last edited:

dan76

It's just going to be like RE6, you will end up fighting some of the same bosses in each campaign. It's obvious!

Btw, that interview from a few posts up is a bit worrying with regards to Mr.X. Apparently they wanted him to be constant in the original game but they couldn't do it... So it seems like he's in this a lot more.

I can't stand enemies you just have to run and hide from. It's really takes me out if the game because I'm just trying to figure out the code of what triggers it. It's different if you're lining up a headshot on a zombie, there are so many variables that make that gameplay interesting, but running away from an unkillable giant will get old fast. Hated Alien Isolation, thought Jack Baker in RE7 was great on the first playthrough, then a drag on the second. Don't fuck it up Capcom.

Geki-D

Banned
So apparently the classic A/B scenario system is in the game after all...

I'm a tad bit confused...

They're taking a mole hill and theorizing it's a mountain. The article says that Irons dies and he's dead on both scenarios (no shit) ...and that's really it. For all we know Claire & Leon could be together at this point, or it could cut to Iron's death for one character whilst the other sees it, or you could pass by later as Leon and see Iron's body... It could mean a million things. All we know right now is that the devs have said "zapping" isn't in the game.

Aggelos

And a summary of the info by the JP interviews

The source of these titbits come from Japanese interviews made in the last couple weeks from places like 4gamer, game spark, IGN Japan, Dengeki and Game Watch. However, there is a ton of new titbits within this that I think some may want to know.

-Earlier in development they wanted to release the game in time for RE2's 20th anniversary, but that proved to be too limited a time table. They did manage to get it done for the 21st anniversary week though.

-The corpses of zombies that the player has killed will remain the whole playthrough, even when you leave and return to locations, and it can be hard to know if a zombie is ever dead. On-top of this, they wanted to give the feeling of zombies "invading" rooms, when they're bursting through doors to come for you they tried to make it scary and put as much pressure on the player as possible and use distinct scary sound design to know they aren't safe and the zombie is coming for you. They want zombies to be scary and give off a sense they're an impossible to overcome force, you have to merely hold them back enough to do what you need to do. They also mention that boarding up windows is important, while there's not infinite number of zombies, over time more and more zombies will break into the police station in areas where the windows are not boarded up. In your first playthrough they recommend just boarding up as soon as you can certain areas you want to be safe, and in the second playthrough you can strategize more knowing the sorta' path you're going to take.

-They clarify to the above point that this is not an action game, it has action in it, but they focused far more on the adventure game elements this time around. If you try to kill everything, you're going to find really quickly you'll put yourself in a tight position with almost no resources for anything to come. They think if you could take out zombies easily or kill nearly every enemy, the fear of zombies would be reduced by at least half. The game has much bigger emphasis on exploring, puzzles, and other such things this time around as well. This said, they think making an easier difficulty for less experienced players was important, since this game is harder than your typical RE game. They also wanted to make modes for those who wanted additional challenge as well though. They say the difficulty modes in REmake 2 are very different to one another and change up a lot about the game for different kinds of audiences.

-They tested Fixed Camera, First-Person, VR, and Behind-The-Shoulder all for REmake 2, but for the game they wanted to make, they ultimately thought Behind-the-Shoulder was the best for this remake.

-For making a remake compared to a wholly original game, there's parts of it which are easier since you kinda' have an easy to rely on blueprint to follow and can forge ideas to how to re imagine it, but then also it can be tricky to decide what's crucial to the original, what can't be changed, what should be changed, and how to recreate feelings of the original for a modern audience. So while some parts of development and design are easier, other parts in turn become harder because you have to balance both modernizing but retaining what the original did, which can be tricky.

-This is a smaller point, but they comment why they don't have QTEs because they think it's not "interesting" to them or players, and wanted to come up with more interesting solutions to it. As an extension to this, RE7 and REmake 2 both experiment with how to make certain moments fully playable rather than making certain gameplay moments being wiggling some sticks or mashing buttons, which in REmake 2's case lead to the revival of the defense items from the original REmake.

-They mention there's an optional thing you can turn on for REmake 2 if you're having too much difficulty which sorta' simulates the "auto-aim" in the original RE2, where when you aim at an enemy it'll lock onto their weak points and you can put ammo into it. This is by default turned off, but can be turned on for those who need the help or those who want to play it more like the original RE2 where zombies take a certain amount of bullets to take down that's fairly consistent.

-On Resident Evil 1.5, they mention there was only one aspect they directly took from 1.5, and that was the Shooting Range from 1.5 is in the REmake in RPD, but they only added it since it made sense with the setting rather than that they specifically wanted to pull something from an abandoned version of the original. They do mention some things were done that they wanted to do for the original RE2 but couldn't back then due to limitations of hardware, one such thing being Mr. X and how he can constantly stalk the player through areas. This was something they wanted to do in the original, but the technology to do it back then wasn't possible.

-They think Capcom is well known for fantastic audio design, and think REmake 2's audio design, which they fully constructed within their own studios, will be a new hallmark for them.

-About remaking Leon and Claire, they wanted to capture that this is their younger years as both characters are fairly iconic at this point for the franchise. Leon is unreliable as he lacks experience, this is his first day as a cop and he isn't prepared for anything like this, but he is courageous and his heart is in a good place. He has a strong sense of justice and a certain charm to him, but at this point he wants to be better than he actually is, which they think leads well into his over-arching plot in the series. For Claire, she came here to find her brother, her gun is now a personal model rather than a police model like she had in the original, one she took herself in case there's any danger. She's spunkier and a bit more wild, but she does have a caring maternal side and wants to make a difference and save people in this disaster.

-For Sherry, they mention in the original it seemed like she was 6-8 years old or something, but she was actually 12. They want Sherry to be a bit more independent and capable than she was in the original RE2, she's still a child but a bit more independent and mature and feels more her age.

-For Ada, the reason she comes in a trench coat is because she sticks out too much in her red dress. More so, Ada reveals to Leon fairly early that she's a spy, but wins him over by convincing him she's a spy trying to save the world and put a stop to a danger to the world. She hides her true intentions from him. The red dress was too iconic to leave out, but they thought the trench coat transitioning to her regular red attire made a good physical representation of Ada's outer shell opening up a little bit more to closer to who she really is through Leon's innocent sense of justice and the two coming to rely a bit on one another.

-On Annette Birkin, she is a bit less physically attractive and messier than her original self. They thought this fit better and more realistic with her being a person who dedicates her life to her research, she's not caring too much about her appearances and lacks certain social niceties.

-Mr. X will be in both Leon and Claire's scenarios, and no matter who you play as first or second, he'll be in both.

-They mention for additional modes, they are "still undecided", which might mean they have some post-release plans or debating something right now?

-On HUNK and Tofu, they knew from the beginning they couldn't be cut from the remake. They think if you ask any RE2 fan, HUNK and Tofu's modes are an important part of RE2.

-The reason Elza Walker has a costume in REmake 2 is because of Hirabayashi. He really likes the character of Elza, and originally wanted her to be a character in the remake, but she didn't really fit into the narrative naturally anywhere. Some were against her costume inclusion, but ultimately they agreed to make it a costume for fans as a bonus DLC thing.

-They focused on two darker and more fleshed out campaigns than A/B scenarios this time around. They get to focus a lot more on fleshing out those campaigns and expanding the characters due to this though.

-They mention that the "entire final scene" of the game is only playable once you've completed Leon and Claire's campaigns.

-They mention they have not added any new creatures to REmake 2, but some of the creatures will appear in very different and expanded ways. They give an example with G-Mutant, who appears in a completely different way than he did in the original RE2, and they think there is more novelty to the bestiary that people know in how they're used in the REmake. They also tease that William Birkin will be transformed in a totally different way according to his different mutations, so people can look forward to being surprised by what Birkin has in store.

-They also mention there's a lot of new guns and gadgets though from the original RE2, as well as lots of new areas, puzzles, and the like.

-The red highlighted "R" and "E" in the Resident Evil 2 logo is supposed to stand for "REmake, or RE-Resident Evil 2". In Japan, the logo is more obvious since it's titled "Biohazard RE: 2", which can be taken as Resident Evil 2 or a Redone Resident Evil 2.

-On potential remakes in the future like REmake 2, they comment there is no doubt at this point that REmake 2 will make back it's cost and will make profit. It is natural to think about the next step after RE2, but right now they're focused on getting RE2 into the hands of buyers, but they sense the enthusiasm of fans, but have nothing to announce at this time.

-On what they to say on REmake 2 before its January 25th release; "RESIDENT EVIL 2 is full of "creativity" and "memories". It's also a frightening adventure, a human drama and a game-feeling focused on the fear of zombies. We hope that those who have experienced the original version will appreciate it and that new fans will also want to play it. "

The gist of the Japanese interviews

-Game focuses a lot more on Adventure game elements than action. Far more puzzles and exploration and the like, and if you try to kill everything you'll run out of resources quickly and end up in a tight spot.
-They think the zombies being easily killable and easy to manage would reduce the game's fear in half, they think enemies being a hurdle rather than an easily overcomable obstacle is important.
-The last point said, if having difficulty or want to play closer to the original RE2, there's an optional "auto-aim" mode in REmake 2 (that is off by default) which locks onto enemies weakpoints when aiming at them to make zombies take more a certain number of bullets to take out rather than based on your own ability. There's also big differences in the game based on what difficulty you select.
-On remaking Leon and Claire, they wanted Leon to come off as courageous and with a sense of justice, but incapable and unprepared for the nightmare he came into. For Claire she's spunkier and came here to find her brother, but has a maternal side but a bit more of a wild spirit.
-They knew HUNK & Tofu were needed in the remake.
-Elza's costume is in the game since producer Hirabayashi really likes Elza.
-There is a "final scene" you only unlock once you complete both Leon and Claire's campaigns.
-Mention for additional modes past Tofu and HUNK, they are still "undecided", which is ambiguous in its meaning.
-There is no new enemies, but the enemies have a lot more to them and some appear in drastically different ways, like the G-Mutant they mention is completely different than in the original. They also tease William Birkin has some surprises up his sleeves with his mutations, and hope people look forward to that.
-The RE2 logo highlights the "R" and the "E" to stand for "REmake" or "RE: Resident Evil 2".
-On potential future remakes, they say REmake 2 at this point is sure to make back its whole cost and they hear the enthusiasm of the fans.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
So yeah, more proof that ROE is full of shit and making assertions based off nothing:
-They focused on two darker and more fleshed out campaigns than A/B scenarios this time around. They get to focus a lot more on fleshing out those campaigns and expanding the characters due to this though.

Aggelos

Gameplay videos by Everyeye.it

and SpazioGames.it

and Eurogamer.it

The player shoved a grenade into G Adult Body's mouth

Last edited:

kunonabi

God bless Hirabayashi for knowing how great Elza was. Claire having her own personal gun is kind of stupid as is pretty much everything they've said and done with Ada but the rest of it at least sounds like they have the right idea.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
It's just going to be like RE6, you will end up fighting some of the same bosses in each campaign. It's obvious!

Btw, that interview from a few posts up is a bit worrying with regards to Mr.X. Apparently they wanted him to be constant in the original game but they couldn't do it... So it seems like he's in this a lot more.

I can't stand enemies you just have to run and hide from. It's really takes me out if the game because I'm just trying to figure out the code of what triggers it. It's different if you're lining up a headshot on a zombie, there are so many variables that make that gameplay interesting, but running away from an unkillable giant will get old fast. Hated Alien Isolation, thought Jack Baker in RE7 was great on the first playthrough, then a drag on the second. Don't fuck it up Capcom.

Hopefully, with the PC version at least might, the big bald fuck can be patched out of the game. 100% ruined for me based on what we've seen/read.

Aggelos

zombies takes more bullets to the head now, but you can shoot off limbs with 2-3 bullets.
Okay.

:D

Why would that be a problem of any sort? Consider zombies as human beings that are literary brain dead. So bullets may very well dismember them, thus enabling the player to gain an evasive advantage over the zombies, but in sharp contrast shooting them in the head doesn't mean that they will go down that easy...
And I think the explanation lies within what the JP developers said. RE players grew tired of zombies over the span of years and started seeing/handling them as small-fry and sitting ducks. Also players got used to shooting the Ganados, Majini, zombies and what not in the head in games like RE4, RE5, RE6.
Therefore, this time around the devs wanted to take the players by surprise and not let the zombies be just suckers and sitting ducks that you shoot them in the head and you're done nice and easy.

I don't see how the above would be a problem in this RE2 Remake.
It just amps up the panic horror experiences of the player. You are given a good run for you money here, in the RE2 world of survival horror. You just struggle to survive against tenaciously stubborn zombies that just don't go down. That's the way to re-define zombies in survival horror games, and make them freakin scary again.

Last edited:

dan76

Why the hell are they releasing all this stuff. Just give us the E3 demo and stop spoiling the damn thing.

Also, with regard to the auto - aim, I took it to mean that headshots are very difficult to pull off, so if you have auto aim on you will automatically hit a weak point on a leg or arm to stop them attacking. They don't mention anything about headshots not being important. They're still in, but from the looks of it extremely difficult to get a critical hit.

Little worried about the color grading. There seems to be an ugly brown gray fog everywhere. Even outside. I feel like in the early previews it had a crisp blue grey color tone.

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'm in the group of people deeply concerned about Mr. X. That kind of thing seems better suited to RE3 where you can make various mechanics and level design elements around managing it it. Simply needing to run away forever, trying to remember where the hell you were going before being interrupted and hoping for it to not happen again before you get back to it just does not sound fun. Maybe as a higher difficulty or speedrun mode or something, but I tend to really savor my games, checking everything, looking around, experimenting with mechanics and such. He really sounds like he would completely ruin all that.

Last edited:
This game look fucking awesome and is my most anticipated game coming out soon, but I don't want to see any more of it. I"ve seen enough and don't want to spoil myself on anything else.

Pinktaco

Why would that be a problem of any sort? Consider zombies as human beings that are literary brain dead. So bullets may very well dismember them, thus enabling the player to gain an evasive advantage over the zombies, but in sharp contrast shooting them in the head doesn't mean that they will go down that easy...
And I think the explanation lies within what the JP developers said. RE players grew tired of zombies over the span of years and started seeing/handling them as small-fry and sitting ducks. Also players got used to shooting the Ganados, Majini, zombies and what not in the head in games like RE4, RE5, RE6.
Therefore, this time around the devs wanted to take the players by surprise and not let the zombies be just suckers and sitting ducks that you shoot them in the head and you're done nice and easy.

I don't see how the above would be a problem in this RE2 Remake.
It just amps up the panic horror experiences of the player. You are given a good run for you money here, in the RE2 world of survival horror. You just struggle to survive against tenaciously stubborn zombies that just don't go down. That's the way to re-define zombies in survival horror games, and make them freakin scary again.

I certainly like the idea, I just dislike how it appears as if they have made headshots effectively useless for the sake of showing off their new awesome limb-shooting tech.

In one of the YouTube videos the commentator said they had to put in many headshots with little effect.

Forsythia

I'm not feeling having Mr X on my tail constantly either. In fact it looks like it'll make the game a chore to play. But we'll see in the full release how it pans out.

The whole Mr X thing brings to light a problem with horror games. It's unclear to players what the developers want you to do with bosses like that in resource management horror games. Do I fight? Do I run? Is the creature invincible and just a waste of precious ammo? These encounters lead to trial and error style game play which is eh. Similar thing happened when I first played a silent hill game. I love talking my time in games like this and having that tension is more annoying than anything else.

PrCat88

God bless Hirabayashi for knowing how great Elza was. Claire having her own personal gun is kind of stupid as is pretty much everything they've said and done with Ada but the rest of it at least sounds like they have the right idea.
I can see Claire being a gun owner. In the original she was a more carefree college student but still kept the knife she got from Chris for self defense. The remake is taking a darker/more serious approach so searching for her missing brother following the aftermath of the mansion incident from RE1 would lead me to think she'd take more precautions.

PsyEd

So X is only 30fps in 4k mode? I was hoping it was 4k60 than 1080p60. Guess have to get the pc for 4k goodness.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
I booted the original up in an emulator the other day. Fuck me it's hard. I died within the first 5 screens on my first go! Just couldn't live with it. Had to boot the extra special easy version just to get through the first 30 mins.

Gaming was so different back then. How the hell did I complete it with no walk through and no save slots?!

Lol.

Moses85

I booted the original up in an emulator the other day. Fuck me it's hard. I died within the first 5 screens on my first go! Just couldn't live with it. Had to boot the extra special easy version just to get through the first 30 mins.

Gaming was so different back then. How the hell did I complete it with no walk through and no save slots?!

Lol.

It seems we are already to old for these games 😅
Will give it also a try asap but I have the problem, i cant connect my Cube to my LG Oled... and on my BC PS3 the PSOne Version looks like Sh**

Top Bottom