• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake - December '18 Gameplay Videos and Previews

PrCat88

I booted the original up in an emulator the other day. Fuck me it's hard. I died within the first 5 screens on my first go! Just couldn't live with it. Had to boot the extra special easy version just to get through the first 30 mins.

Gaming was so different back then. How the hell did I complete it with no walk through and no save slots?!

Lol.
Games have made us soft. Held our hands. There's some hearty and challenging exceptions, but back then you had to do more than press forward and X.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Interesting... Trophy list. Hasn’t seen this before. That footstep one is a twist on things.
  1. Raccoon City Native – Obtain all trophies – Platinum
  2. Hidden Trophy
  3. Hidden Trophy
  4. Hidden Trophy
  5. Hidden Trophy
  6. A Hero Emerges – Complete Leon’s story – Silver
  7. A Heroine Emerges – Complete Claire’s story – Silver
  8. Hidden Trophy
  9. Hip to Add Squares – Increase your inventory slots – Bronze
  10. Don’t Need No Stinkin’ Gun – Defeat an enemy with a knife – Bronze
  11. That’ll Hold ‘Em – Use Wooden Boards to board up a window – Bronze
  12. A Vault-like Mind – Open a portable safe – Bronze
  13. First Break-In – Open a dial safe – Bronze
  14. Bon Appetit – Shoot the grenade you fed to an enemy – Bronze
  15. Zombie Roundup – Kill 3 enemies at once with a sub-weapon – Bronze
  16. Like Skeet Shooting – Shoot a zombie dog or a licker out of the air – Bronze
  17. Keep Their Heads Ringin’ – Paralyse a licker’s sense of hearing – Bronze
  18. Hats Off! – Shoot Tyrant’s hat off his head – Bronze
  19. Hidden Trophy
  20. Treasure Hunter – Using the photo hints, find 2 hidden items – Bronze
  21. A Waist of Space – Expand inventory slots to max – Bronze
  22. Hidden Trophy
  23. Hidden Trophy
  24. Hidden Trophy
  25. Hidden Trophy
  26. Lore Explorer – Read all of the files – Bronze
  27. Complete Vermin Extermination – Destroy all Mr. Raccoons – Silver
  28. Master of Unlocking – Open all safes and locks in the game – Silver
  29. Hidden Trophy
  30. Hidden Trophy
  31. Hardcore Rookie – Complete Leon’s story on “Hardcore” game mode – Gold
  32. Hardcore College Student – Complete Claire’s story on “Hardcore” game mode – Gold
  33. Frugalist – Complete the game without using a recovery item – Silver
  34. Minimalist – Clear the game without opening the item box – Silver
  35. A Small Carbon Footprint – Take 14000 steps of fewer in one playthrough – Silver
  36. Hidden Trophy
  37. Never-Ending Rain – Escape the police station – Bronze
  38. Hack Complete – Complete Ada’s Segment – Bronze
  39. The Basics of Survival – Combine two items together – Bronze
  40. Customizer – Customize a weapon – Bronze
  41. Eat This! – Counterattack with a sub-weapon – Bronze
  42. Vermin Extermination – Destroy a Mr. Raccoon – Bronze

Aranea

Interesting... Trophy list. Hasn’t seen this before. That footstep one is a twist on things.
  1. Raccoon City Native – Obtain all trophies – Platinum
  2. Hidden Trophy
  3. Hidden Trophy
  4. Hidden Trophy
  5. Hidden Trophy
  6. A Hero Emerges – Complete Leon’s story – Silver
  7. A Heroine Emerges – Complete Claire’s story – Silver
  8. Hidden Trophy
  9. Hip to Add Squares – Increase your inventory slots – Bronze
  10. Don’t Need No Stinkin’ Gun – Defeat an enemy with a knife – Bronze
  11. That’ll Hold ‘Em – Use Wooden Boards to board up a window – Bronze
  12. A Vault-like Mind – Open a portable safe – Bronze
  13. First Break-In – Open a dial safe – Bronze
  14. Bon Appetit – Shoot the grenade you fed to an enemy – Bronze
  15. Zombie Roundup – Kill 3 enemies at once with a sub-weapon – Bronze
  16. Like Skeet Shooting – Shoot a zombie dog or a licker out of the air – Bronze
  17. Keep Their Heads Ringin’ – Paralyse a licker’s sense of hearing – Bronze
  18. Hats Off! – Shoot Tyrant’s hat off his head – Bronze
  19. Hidden Trophy
  20. Treasure Hunter – Using the photo hints, find 2 hidden items – Bronze
  21. A Waist of Space – Expand inventory slots to max – Bronze
  22. Hidden Trophy
  23. Hidden Trophy
  24. Hidden Trophy
  25. Hidden Trophy
  26. Lore Explorer – Read all of the files – Bronze
  27. Complete Vermin Extermination – Destroy all Mr. Raccoons – Silver
  28. Master of Unlocking – Open all safes and locks in the game – Silver
  29. Hidden Trophy
  30. Hidden Trophy
  31. Hardcore Rookie – Complete Leon’s story on “Hardcore” game mode – Gold
  32. Hardcore College Student – Complete Claire’s story on “Hardcore” game mode – Gold
  33. Frugalist – Complete the game without using a recovery item – Silver
  34. Minimalist – Clear the game without opening the item box – Silver
  35. A Small Carbon Footprint – Take 14000 steps of fewer in one playthrough – Silver
  36. Hidden Trophy
  37. Never-Ending Rain – Escape the police station – Bronze
  38. Hack Complete – Complete Ada’s Segment – Bronze
  39. The Basics of Survival – Combine two items together – Bronze
  40. Customizer – Customize a weapon – Bronze
  41. Eat This! – Counterattack with a sub-weapon – Bronze
  42. Vermin Extermination – Destroy a Mr. Raccoon – Bronze

Did you find that trophy list somewhere? I really would like to see the whole thing.

Last edited:

Aggelos

Famitsu

rer0000f7ixb.jpg

r2r0001axea7.jpg

r2r0002ikf69.jpg

r2r0003p4ir3.jpg

r2r0004p6fhe.jpg

DonF

Is it confirmed this will run at 60 fps*? I hope so, considering RE 7.

edit: *on filthy peasant consoles

Last edited:
I wish I could be as excited as everyone else for this game, RE never really clicked with me, but it's good to see that Capcom is getting back on a good track record :D

Aggelos

This doesn't look nearly as good as the remake for the original.

Back then a remake of the first game was destined to be a giant leap forward, because there weren't so many RE games out there by that time.
Nowadays, when RE2 Remake was unveiled back in E3 2018, there have been tons of RE games in the market with so many individualistic traits each.
In other words, it's not an easy task for a possible remake to make a difference so readily.

What engine is this running on? Are all the cutscenes realtime?

RE Engine.
https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/RE_Engine

During the cut-scenes, you can see the bite marks, wounds, dirt and stains on clothes that you have accumulated from your gameplay,
That is to say, that they should be real-time.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Leon's noir close up there with the flashlight reminds me of young Chris in Code Veronica or something. Sorta. But not really. Either way it came to my mind.

Last edited:

Fake

Hope if they remade RE3 at least they keep the traditional view. The RE4 style still don't get my attention, but the engine is really good and atmospheric.

Moses85

Hope if they remade RE3 at least they keep the traditional view. The RE4 style still don't get my attention, but the engine is really good and atmospheric.
Forget it, the fixed camera oldschool view will never return again.

3 things bother me with this remake.

1. The focus of the gameplay seems to have turned from item management, searching for interactive elements, and puzzle solving to generic third person shooting either bullet sponges or a literally invincible stalker..

2. I miss the old UI and sounds. I don't like that the game teleprompts everything you should interact with using the cheap RE7 interface and from so far away.

3. I miss the classic camera angles. Considering the game features an auto aim as an option I'm not sure why we can't also have a return of the classic camera as an option for a nostalgic run through.

And 3 again. Nemesis being a persistent and even more annoying stalker than Jack from RE7. The worst gameplay element from that game is carried over to ruin another. No it isn't the same as the original game, here he just uses up your ammo and forces you to run.. not fun.

Fake

Sry for the double post and I don't see any thread about, but Digital Foundry made a video about the beta test of Devil May Cry 5.

Its not the same game, but both use the same engine. Xbox X render at native 4k while Xbox One 900p I guess. RE2 at native 4k could be a amazing deal. They just need to fix the framerate, but my guess its the change to dynamic resolution could fix that. Who knows, maybe RE2 its not so taxing as DMC5 and the dynamic resolution even don't needed.

Last edited:

Moses85

You are a insider or work at the Capcom?

Now all depends on the sucess of RE2.

No, but I am sure RE2 will outsell RE7 without any doubt.

BTW I am a big fan of the old fixed camera angles too.

Its to bad, capcom doesnt offer this feature optional.

Mochilador

Sry for the double post and I don't see any thread about, but Digital Foundry made a video about the beta test of Devil May Cry 5.

Its not the same game, but both use the same engine. Xbox X render at native 4k while Xbox One 900p I guess. RE2 at native 4k could be a amazing deal. They just need to fix the framerate, but my guess its the change to dynamic resolution could fix that. Who knows, maybe RE2 its not so taxing as DMC5 and the dynamic resolution even don't needed.

They said that DMCV is running in 1080p on base Xbox One.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

It would be good idea to give us the option to switch to 1080p resolution that might give us solid 60FPS in Xbox oneX and PS4 pro,

Fake

They said that DMCV is running in 1080p on base Xbox One.
My mistake sry. 1080p vs 4k. Still native 4k prove to be very taxing on Xbox X because in many instances of the beta the base Xbox is actually have better framerate than Xbox X. They at least can give us a idea of what expect from RE2.
Lets see until final build.
It would be good idea to give us the option to switch to 1080p resolution that might give us solid 60FPS in Xbox oneX and PS4 pro,
Yeap. Options always a better solution.

Last edited:

dolabla

Not sure which version to go with. I always associate RE with PlayStation and would usually get it for that, but the X is the more capable hardware. I have them pre-ordered on both (Deluxe for the original soundtrack), but plan to cancel/return it once more is known (although eventually I will own both in support for more REmakes). Hoping they don't drop the ball on the X like they did with RE7 where it ran at a higher resolution but was more blurrier due to the AA. Heck, maybe we get surprised and both are native 4k?

Moses85

Not sure which version to go with. I always associate RE with PlayStation and would usually get it for that, but the X is the more capable hardware. I have them pre-ordered on both (Deluxe for the original soundtrack), but plan to cancel/return it once more is known (although eventually I will own both in support for more REmakes). Hoping they don't drop the ball on the X like they did with RE7 where it ran at a higher resolution but was more blurrier due to the AA. Heck, maybe we get surprised and both are native 4k?

I played it originally on PSX and will follow this rule with the Remake and will play it on PS4Pro.
I am sure it will run in 4K on PSPro too.

There are no Zombie armys on the screen so the juice should be there to run it. I’ll hope so!

But if you take RE4 as an example... we will see RE2 also on PS5 and Xbox Next.

II_JumPeR_I

I played it originally on PSX and will follow this rule with the Remake and will play it on PS4Pro.

T.
Cmon you know that wont happen.

First time im really interested in a Resi game. Dont know why lol

Will try out the Demo next week

Moses85

Cmon you know that wont happen.

First time im really interested in a Resi game. Dont know why lol

Will try out the Demo next week

RE7 was already a step to the right direction and runs nearly in native 4K or am I wrong?

They had enough time to tweak the engine.

Maybe they will surprise us in a positive way.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
RE7 was already a step to the right direction and runs nearly in native 4K or am I wrong?

They had enough time to tweak the engine.

Maybe they will surprise us in a positive way.
RE7 was made for VR and had to run perfectly at like 90fps while rendering everything twice for stereoscopic 3D so it was very optimized and could push higher resolutions outside VR at a good pace still, it seems to me they're pushing the visuals and action more with this one so a less stable framerate and lower resolution could easily be the concessions. We'll see, Capcom has great tech and art regardless.

Last edited:

Aggelos

Eurogamer's "10 Things You Need to Know About Resident Evil 2 Remake if You Never Played the Original"

A chat with RE2Remake director, Kadoi Kazunori
https://www.jp.playstation.com/blog...tm_source=&utm_term=so-co-173557&utm_content=
20181129-psclassic-biohazard-03.jpg

https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/Kazunori_Kadoi

https://cvxfreak.com/home/2018/12/4...rvival-horror-hit-resident-evil-directors-cut
https://cvxfreak.com/home/2018/12/1...rvival-horror-hit-resident-evil-directors-cut
https://cvxfreak.com/home/2018/12/1...rvival-horror-hit-resident-evil-directors-cut
https://cvxfreak.com/home/2018/12/2...rvival-horror-hit-resident-evil-directors-cut
https://cvxfreak.com/home/2018/12/2...rvival-horror-hit-resident-evil-directors-cut

Kadoi's first project was the original Resident Evil, where he worked on the system planning and camera teams. Following this he worked on Rockman Dash. In 1998 Kadoi was assigned to the Resident Evil CODE:Veronica R&D team as a stage planner. Following CODE:Veronica, Kadoi worked on Capcom Production Studio 1's Resident Evil Outbreak as a character designer, and also directed the "flashback" and "end of the road" scenarios. In 2005, Kadoi was assigned to the Resident Evil 5 R&D team as a lead designer. In 2009 he played a similar role for the Resident Evil 6 R&D team. Following this Kadoi worked on Resident Evil: Revelations 2.

Resident Evil 2, the famous game reborn using modern technology
The latest in the series, "Resident Evil 2," will be released in January next year. Kadoi-san, you're the one directing the game.

I'm looking after almost all content in the game. I think about what should go into the game, give orders related production and decide the direction to go in. I'm essentially doing what Mikami-san did when I was new to the company. Mikami-san used to vehemently tell all the staff members back in the day, "It's all because this is an adventure game." I find myself telling today's staff members the same thing. *laughs*
"Resident Evil 2" (remake) has largely the same story, but aside from that, the visuals, content and core base are different from the original. However, we want players to enjoy the remake with the same feelings they had when enjoying the original "Resident Evil 2." Therefore, the remake must be an adventure game like the original "Resident Evil 2." When I was a new employee, there were a lot of things I didn't understand, but now that I'm in the Director's seat, I find myself realizing and saying to myself, "I see, so this is what goes through a Director's mind."

Aside from developing an adventure game, what other points are you focusing on?

There are the item slot limitations, the need to manage resources like bullets and knives in order to be able to fight enemies and other important things like that. The games in the series from "Resident Evil 4" onward allowed for melee attacks, while enemies dropped bullets when you killed them; there were strong action elements in those titles compared to the ones that came before. However, I wanted to create something that focuses on resource management, going back to the adventure game where you are compelled to run away from danger and you experience the fear of being unable to use melee attacks.
Bullets are like MP in an RPG game, so they're strong, but once you run out, you're kind of screwed. I hope players are able to enjoy constantly thinking about whether using these important combat resources makes sense, and conducting their frantic Resident Evil search while running away from enemies.
Beyond that, the game offers free aiming absent in the original game, as well as enemies reacting different depending on where they are shot. I want to make feel as if the player were actually confronting the enemy.

The game's slogan is, "Everything recreated."

The remake of "Resident Evil" that we released in the past featured drastically improved graphics, but the game's flow and controls weren't that different from the original. For this game, we wanted to maintain the feel of the original "Resident Evil 2," but redo the map, story developments and other elements from scratch. If one plays the "Resident Evil 2" remake based off his/her knowledge of the original "Resident Evil 2," the player will find him/herself uttering, "That game has changed THIS much!"
For example, if the game was supposed to take place in a refuge shelter, then we wanted to leave evidence that there were people who sought refuge there. We ended up redoing nitty gritty details like this and putting it in the game. I really hope players think, "I don't think was in the original game, but now it sure feels like it was."

It seems like it was tough to decide what to keep and what to change.

The traps in the original "Resident Evil 2," when viewed from a modern lens, may seem too far removed from reality; if you try to draw the line in terms of realism, then maybe it would be best to take such traps out of the remake. However, these elements are part of the players’ memories, so we had to think carefully about how to change things around. The result was to include elements that maintain the feel of the original, rather than thinking about what was too outrageous about the puzzles in the original police station and then getting rid of them. We redid everything in a way in which players may think, "Well, I guess this would be possible." I hope they enjoy the things we rearranged in the remake.

The fear one feels toward the zombies is another big point in this game.

I have a particular fondness for how terrifying zombies can be. I focused on the zombies motions as they go after the player, how they are damaged and how they react depending on where they're shot. And for the players, I focused on having bite marks remain if they've been bitten. I wanted the game to have realistic elements like that.
In recent times, it isn't unusual to see zombies that can run. I personally like it better when zombies are slow. For the "Resident Evil" series in particular, I think those moments when zombies gradually come toward the player and make him/her wonder, "What should I do?!" are more important to the game's tempo than zombies merely appearing in front of you out of nowhere. "Resident Evil 2" (remake) places importance on the fear one experiences as the zombies keep coming for them no matter how many times they shoot them.

In order to portray true fear, you do everything that you can
I asked about this a bit earlier, but you said that foreign people are now an indispensable part of the team. Have their opinions been implemented into the game as well?

For example, from the perspective of a Japanese person, there's somehow this tendency to make character motions and costumes more anime-like. For this project, we're really focusing on the idea of realism. An anime-like approach may not seem particularly out of the ordinary for our Japanese staff, but out foreign staff would often say, "That doesn't look realistic."
Even for things like clothing, if the colors seem too anime-like, then people overseas may find it unrealistic. We recently announced that the original outfits would be brought back in the remake as classic costumes, but there were also people among our foreign staff who felt they didn't look real. That said, if a game looks too realistic, then that can be boring as well, so we've decided to pursue a balance.

As someone who has been involved with many games in the series, what do you think makes Resident Evil the game it is?

The assumption is that once you begin playing, you will experience true fear. If you don't try your absolute best to create a scary experience, then you can't really experience a sense of true fear. You don't just stop at "This is probably fine," you decide to go further and decide to make something even scarier. If you don't constantly follow that MO, then your game will turn out to be very pedestrian.
Also, Resident Evil is about releasing something magical, as well as not veering off of the game's universe. Not making characters too powerful. All of these are traits shared throughout many entries in the series. Things like hacking and slashing zombies to death with a sword and killing them with one hit are decidedly things that do not belong in the series.
However, without the different directions Resident Evil has gone down, then there could be no series. Resident Evil today isn't something just one person decides and creates; it's the product of staff members at Capcom sharing their opinions as they all create the game. I think Capcom's direction and atmosphere as a company is what makes Resident Evil the game it is.

Finally, do you have anything to say to those looking forward to the remake of "Resident Evil 2"?

The "Resident Evil 2" remake is indeed based off of the original, but we've put forward the highest level of effort to ensure the content is distinct yet befitting of a latest entry in the series. I think the timing of "Resident Evil: Director's Cut" on PlayStation Classic lines up with the release date of "Resident Evil 2" perfectly, so I hope people are able to enjoy those Resident Evil elements that make both games so fun and interesting.Within its more than 20 years of history, the "Resident Evil" series has always pursued new forms of horror. The origins of that horror can be enjoyed in "Resident Evil: Director's Cut," while "Resident Evil 2" (remake) is a recreation of the original using modern technology. I want people to play these two games, which are the embodiment of horror both new and old, and appreciate what makes them so charming.

Last edited:

mekes

I’m pretty much counting down the days at this point. I realised about a week ago that the game is releasing this month, I’d always thought it was slated for end of February for some reason. I haven’t been this excited for a release since Street Fighter 5, I hope this game launches better than that!

dolabla

How many of you are also going to be playing with the original soundtrack? Man, it takes me back listening to it:

There are no Zombie armys on the screen so the juice should be there to run it. I’ll hope so!

But if you take RE4 as an example... we will see RE2 also on PS5 and Xbox Next.

I really hope so. I'm not counting on it being native 4K on the Pro, but it would be a very nice surprise if it does. If it it does (with everything else that same on both consoles), I'll get it on the Pro first and get it later on the X. I really hope they don't use the same AA on the X as they did with RE7.

Moses85

How many of you are also going to be playing with the original soundtrack? Man, it takes me back listening to it:

I really hope so. I'm not counting on it being native 4K on the Pro, but it would be a very nice surprise if it does. If it it does (with everything else that same on both consoles), I'll get it on the Pro first and get it later on the X. I really hope they don't use the same AA on the X as they did with RE7.

I DEFINITELY WILL!!

Already posted this:

II_JumPeR_I

DMC5 Demo looked so freaking crisp on OneX (native 4k). So doubt that Re2 will be worse

Aggelos

DMC5 Demo looked so freaking crisp on OneX (native 4k). So doubt that Re2 will be worse

RE Engine is a beast. Capcom has already showed people that they're planning to go to town for the visuals in their games with that engine (RE7, DMC5, RE2Remake).
https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/RE_Engine

So no worries how the game will be on Xbox One X and PS4Pro. It's gonna be at its finest.

JP version has a different cut of the attacking zombies

Last edited:
Top Bottom