• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake - December '18 Gameplay Videos and Previews

dolabla

Been sitting here thinking to myself if I should watch it, but I just can't do it. The thirst is real, however. Only one more day!

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Ugh, just looking st the console comparison pics...

Great...

Once again, the X gets the worst effort. The X is running a higher resolution, it has stupid AA settings that totally destroy the image and remove any detail. The Pro has next to no AA, lower res, but is much much sharper.

Same issue was in RE7. The game looked loads better on Pro there too.

Woohoo... No lessons learned again...

Shameless copy from Era:

Comparison #3

Pro: https://abload.de/img/residentevil2_1-shotd0gio1.png
1X: https://abload.de/img/brawly_residentevil21bfcyv.png

Comparison #4

Pro: https://abload.de/img/residentevil2_1-shotdamfxc.png
1X: https://abload.de/img/brawly_residentevil21eudaj.png

Why do Capcom not give a shit about the X? It takes a special amount of shot to make a more powerful console look visually WORSE than the other.

Last edited:

Ellis

Can someone that has played the demo please confirm the framerate on base PS4.

Does it go for 60fps like RE7 and hover in the 50's again, or are we locked at a disappointing 30?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Can someone that has played the demo please confirm the framerate on base PS4.

Does it go for 60fps like RE7 and hover in the 50's again, or are we locked at a disappointing 30?

Looks like from what I’m reading base consoles are 30fps and X/Pro might even be 4k/60, as a few are reporting on various sites.

Javthusiast

Banned
Guess I'll be chugging along with 30 frames on my old ass base ps4. But it didnt bother me with gow, spider man or rdr2 so no biggie. And I won't buy new consoles till ps5 comes out.

Ellis

Looks like from what I’m reading base consoles are 30fps and X/Pro might even be 4k/60, as a few are reporting on various sites.

That's a shame, but I guess to be expected considering the amount this is pushing the engine compared to what RE7 was doing.

My little 960 could probably get me PS4 settings at 60fps on PC, but I wanted physical so I just got it on console.

dolabla

Great...

Once again, the X gets the worst effort. The X is running a higher resolution, it has stupid AA settings that totally destroy the image and remove any detail. The Pro has next to no AA, lower res, but is much much sharper.

Shameless copy from Era:

Comparison #3

Comparison #4

Why do Capcom not give a shit about the X? It takes a special amount of shot to make a more powerful console look visually WORSE than the other.

How in the heck do they keep screwing this up. That's pretty dang disappointing as I had hoped they would get it right this time. It doesn't make any sense.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Capcom are a Japanese company, they don’t give a shit about Xbox. However as I said, it takes a certain amount of stupid to do this.

To be honest I’m not even sure what THIS is. To my eyes I’m seeing two problems:

1 - Over the top AA settings. The Pro has pretty much no AA and is returning a sharp, unfiltered image, even with the same textures and everything else, this would be sharper than any AA solution. But capcom do terrible AA so you get this.

But also:

2 - This is the same shit they pulled with monster hunter. See here’s the problem... what you have is a base Xbox and a base PS4. There’s no doubt out of the base consoles the PS4 will do more. Better LODs, better mipping, better pretty much everything really. The issue here is that they have essentially upped the resolution, but left everything ELSE the same. So texture lod bias may be lower on Xbox one S resulting in textures mipping at a shorter distance. This would explain the flag above where the stars turn to mush. That’s not an AA issue, as the actual base detail isn’t resolved at all there. The other possibility is that they just have Xbox one s use worse textures, and as such, no resolution bump will fix that.

Now all of these things can be fixed. Settings can be changed, texture patches can be released (when they should be using a simple lod bias setting anyway rather than shipping low quality assets). Problem is, none of these issues will be fixed, because they haven’t been fixed in any other capcom game with Pro/X support.

This would explain why the game is 5gb smaller on Xbox, however. But if this is the case then good lord, that’s a poor effort...

I’m hoping to god that the demo is just two different old builds of the game, but I don’t think so due to there being differences to the e3 build. And I certainly don’t count on there being a day one patch to sort this.

Sadly I think this is just another case where the pro will look better for zero reason at all. Im not against it looking better because it’s playstation, I’m against a more powerful machine having a worse looking product. That shouldn’t be happening.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Aso, buckle up kids... I’ve read on like, let’s say 6 different forums now, that the HDR in this game makes RDR2 look amazing. Like seriously messed up black levels you need to mess with your tv to fix. That would explain why the game always looked so washed out and oddnin videos.

This must be a totally different team to those that did DMC5 because that demo looked amazing and the Visuals spot on.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Ahh ok, so resolution wise (this is about overall scene resolution and AA, and NOT texture assets), it looks like the demos may be in their base console quality options and NOT the Pro/X settings.

That would make sense, and would explain why the X looks like upscale 900p compared to the Pro.

Man, I’ve got such a boner for RE2 I’m damn pulling my hair out over anything... Where’s John when you need him to pixel count!?

II_JumPeR_I

Great...

Shameless copy from Era:

Comparison #3

Comparison #4

I agree that it doesnt look good on OneX but i disagree that Capcom doesnt care. 1st the DMC5 Demo looked way better on OneX and 2nd we dont know how old this Demo build is.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I agree that it doesnt look good on OneX but i disagree that Capcom doesnt care. 1st the DMC5 Demo looked way better on OneX and 2nd we dont know how old this Demo build is.

Looks like they are both running later builds of the game than the e3 demo.

But this is... not good. After how good DMC5 looks I’m willing to wait it out and see the final game. But man...

untitled0ecl7.png

untitledg8fid.png

33nfd3.png

I just want to know now what’s ACTUALLY going on under the hood. I don’t do pixel counting and stuff so really interested to know.

Now this pic is very telling to me. Alpha tested surfaces usually have this graphical look when rendered at a lower resolution. I just can’t say for sure...

5s7epx.png

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
You should get a PC if graphics are that important to you.

Aside from owning each console, I also have a pretty lock ass Pc that will play this with ease. Kinda have to with what I do ;)

I’m here for the chat and technical side of things, not just to shoot my load. Although I will be doing that on release day.

dolabla

But this is... not good. After how good DMC5 looks I’m willing to wait it out and see the final game. But man...

untitled0ecl7.png

untitledg8fid.png

33nfd3.png

I just want to know now what’s ACTUALLY going on under the hood. I don’t do pixel counting and stuff so really interested to know.

Now this pic is very telling to me. Alpha tested surfaces usually have this graphical look when rendered at a lower resolution. I just can’t say for sure...

5s7epx.png

Man, I really hope all this is just an older build. I'll still buy it for both platforms either way cause it's RE2, but that looks horrible and is inexcusable for the X.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Alright don't, deal with what you have.

I dont think you quite get it. If you own the worlds most powerful console, you kinda expect the console that costs half the price and is a third less powerful to be, well, not as good looking.

You going on about buying a pc, it would be like people with a GTX 1060 getting a better experience than those with a GTX 2080. Clearly something isn’t right, and the discussion is not only valid, but interesting.

Last edited:

-MD-

I dont think you quite get it. If you own the worlds most powerful console, you kinda expect the console that costs half the price and is a third less powerful to be, well, not as good looking.

You going on about buying a pc, it would be like people with a GTX 1060 getting a better experience than those with a GTX 2080. Clearly something isn’t right, and the discussion is not only valid, but interesting.

Oh I get it, but you just said this isn't the first time it's happened so some devs obviously don't care.

The Xbox version of this game is going to sell a fraction of what the PS4 version does so I wouldn't hold my breath for any meaningful update.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Again, not the right attitude. In fact it’s that attitude that makes stuff like this a thing, because people just don’t care and so developers don’t care. If a developer really, honestly thought “oh this will only sell half in this console compared to that, let’s just not do as good a job” then in all honesty I would rather they buggered off and not release it at all. There’s no place for that sort of thing.

Ellis

The mass majority of people will have no idea, nor would they even care that the 1X version looks a bit worse than on PS4 Pro.

Wanting Capcom to not release the game on a system all because they pushed the TAA slider up a little too much is just crazy talk.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
The mass majority of people will have no idea, nor would they even care that the 1X version looks a bit worse than on PS4 Pro.

Wanting Capcom to not release the game on a system all because they pushed the TAA slider up a little too much is just crazy talk.

First of all, that’s not even what I said. I said if a developer is so stupid as to not see they have two systems, one with vastly more power than the other, but release a gimped version on that system compared to the weaker one, then that shows a serious lack of effort and I would rather they just put al their effort into one.

And secondly... people buying the Pro and X systems did so for a reason. It wasn’t average Joe. That’s the same as saying the vast majority of people wouldn’t know they had an iPhone X or a iPhone 5. The people it’s marketed for and buying it most certainly would.

Last edited:

drotahorror

I think o'dium is just saying they should take advantage of extra power when given it. Maybe it requires more effort than turning up a setting or 2 like on a PC, maybe the devs are just lazy and don't care that much. It could also be an old build where neither the Pro nor X versions are optimized, or only one is. Too many factors.

Luckily, what's hopefully the best RE ever made is coming out in 2 weeks.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
None of this changes the fact I’m at 10/10 for excitement, and will play the crap out of it 1000/1000ing it. :)

I just wish capcom would stop being so... Capcomy. After MH:W, and it’s utterly dreadful X port which was terrible compared to the Pro, I was hoping that the DMC5 demo being so good was a change of ways... Sadly not.

To be fair it’s not just the X port of this, Ive been saying for ages that the SSR reflections in this game are beyond terrible, and just look at this:

You can’t honestly look at this and think that’s acceptable? The outside rain floors and dreadful too. It’s like, 99% there :( it’s so close to being perfect... I really, really hope the final is cleaned up.

Last edited:

Mochilador

untitled0ecl7.png

untitledg8fid.png

33nfd3.png

5s7epx.png
The left ones are from the X version? If so, holy shit.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
No, the right ones are X, left are Pro.

Having seen first hand the textures now, it’s quite clear they do share the same assets, just not the same settings. They can sort this at launch... if they want.

It’s out in UK btw.

Last edited:

LUXURY

Lmao. Everyone in here having a panic attack like you don't know there won't be a bazillion GB day one patch to address half these concerns probably. This is 2019 people.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
After playing it first hand on an OLED, I’ll say the following:

-Controls like... odd. Dunn, think it’s the character position, it’s not gelling with me “yet”. Feels very RE6, rather than 4/5.

-HDR is indeed utterly awful and I’m walking around in glowing darkness. Doesn’t make sense how they missed this. Again.

-Blurry as hell on X. As in, it’s hard to even make out some things at distance. Also there’s some awful post process stuff going on that leaves trails everywhere. Dunno if it’s motion blur or what but when you walk past a bright wall, you see your head stutter over lol.

-Click hold the stick to run? Really?

On the bright side, what I’m seeing I otherwise really like, and it’s got loads of atmosphere :) so hopefully, with a few patches and what not, this will be spot on!

Rotti

After playing it first hand on an OLED, I’ll say the following:

-Controls like... odd. Dunn, think it’s the character position, it’s not gelling with me “yet”. Feels very RE6, rather than 4/5.

-HDR is indeed utterly awful and I’m walking around in glowing darkness. Doesn’t make sense how they missed this. Again.

-Blurry as hell on X. As in, it’s hard to even make out some things at distance. Also there’s some awful post process stuff going on that leaves trails everywhere. Dunno if it’s motion blur or what but when you walk past a bright wall, you see your head stutter over lol.

-Click hold the stick to run? Really?

On the bright side, what I’m seeing I otherwise really like, and it’s got loads of atmosphere :) so hopefully, with a few patches and what not, this will be spot on!

Thank you for your impressions, sounds like the HDR implementation is becoming a problem for some developers. Hopefully Sony helps them with that, Horizon especially has good HDR, and Forza too with Microsoft.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Yeah I really don’t get the whole HDR issue really. It’s not western devs, it’s not Japanese devs, it’s not devs with little money, it’s not platform specific... it’s just really strange how not only do these issues keep happening, but they never seem to notice either.

I’m not kidding when I say at one point I was in a pitch black coridor with a bright light ahead, and the shadow was bright grey. Now that should have been pitch black, and on an OLED, it should have been OFF, but... nope. I’ll test it tomorrow with hdr off and see. I’ve heard it does improve things though, but like monster hunter... I shouldn’t have to do that.

mekes

Just tried it on pro. I only played for 15 minutes because I don’t want to spoil too much for myself. I just needed to see if it felt more hit, or miss. And I was really impressed with the short time I spent. Presentation was nice, gameplay was pretty tense, characters feel incredibly more human than the original! And that really seemed to add to the tension. First impressions were excellent, it felt like old school Resident Evil brought back to life imo.

HDR could be a little better, did not try with it turned off. Overall didn’t spoil anything, but then I played in a bright room so..

dan76

On a base PS4, it looked, sounded and played fantastic. No HDR, but I have a hard time with that anyhow so it was off. As for controls, I set it to C-Type as I hate having to press L3 to run. C-Type has it set to R1 and L3 is switch ammo. I also upped the field of view to maximum and toned down camera and aiming speed. This felt better for me, less like 6, more like The Last of Us.

I haven't watched many videos so I guess a lot of the police station is known already. To me it's not, I didn't get anywhere near finishing what I was supposed to do. I jumped a few times, explored about and found locked doors, scavenged some ammo. Fuck me Capcom why did it take you so long to do this!

I did shoot a lot of zombies, and they are kind of bullet sponges. I took the first two zombies down with one or two shots but the rest were taking 4 or 5, all head shots, and then a few of them got up for more headshots. I'd have preferred a more critical hit type explosion occasionally, maybe it's there and I just didn't get it, but yeah, bullet feedback was the one area that didn't shine - but that's just with the default handgun. The shotty is great.

Man, 30 minutes was the perfect taster for the game to come. So good.

Last edited:

yesrushdt

Is there an option to turn the HUD off? That same option got rid of the button prompts and pop up objectives in RE7. I really hope that's included as the immersion really increased my enjoyment of that game.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
im gonna download the demo... is out now?

I hope it have the same demo error like Yakuza 6 song of the life... that give us the complete game without clock timer.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'm tempted to install it. But I also want that crisp feeling of when it unlocks. :messenger_bicep:

Is this Leon's initial entry into the police station? The added content looks great, but having multiple characters to play as throws a huge curveball.

yesrushdt

I was hoping to play this for a bit before going to bed but it still doesn't appear to be available on Steam. :messenger_crying:

I'm happy to finally report (after 6 months of trying to find out since E3) that you can turn the HUD and tutorials off in the demo as seen in this screenshot from youtuber GameRiot's playthrough video.

32823010408_2d9004baa3_o.jpg

Last edited:

Doczu

Question guys: is this demo 1 play per console, or per account? Could i download it again on my wifes account?

PsyEd

Love the X version over Pro...as it says it will have Dolby Atmos support....like you can choose it manually but demo's sound is not proper surround or is broken. Pro seems to be 60fps but during combat dips pretty bad. with multiple enemies. X seems better framerate or is close to 60 and better AA.

Anyway ready will be playing it on PC...DE version...plus I'm sure modded skins will come out for it pretty soon.

Top Bottom