• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake - December '18 Gameplay Videos and Previews

Aggelos

Wililam Birkin's final form is something to behold

bio2_birkin_4th_malfoq1cwy.jpg

I wish you could turn off the crosshair and ammo counter without turning off the interaction prompts. :goog_cautious:
In RE7 you could atleast turn off the crosshair independently.

pawel86ck

Banned
Just wow! 3D camera and realistic graphics change everything, game is much more scary now when you can see zombies crawling at you in the shadows with strange noises all around you (5.1 sound in this game really bring immersion on the whole new level). Gameplay wise Remake feels like a totally new game compared to original RE2 thanks to 3D graphics alone, but literally everything here works differently as well. For example the knife. In classic RE2 the knife was just useless because of tank controls, but here it's my favorite weapon now :p. If you shoot zombie in the knee and it's starts crawling then you can easily kill it with the knife.

Game runs surprisingly well considering how it looks, but unfortunately you cant choose different AA method than blurry TAA, because game has forced edge sharpening (EE) by default to counterbalance TAA blur. So with TAA picture quality is clean but there's visible fine details reduction on the textures because of TAA, while without TAA everything looks wayy to sharp because of EE. So playing with TAA is a must, and in order to see more fine details I had to use DSR settings (downsampling).

Played on PS4 pro. Had to turn off HDR and readjust settings till make it look right.

Game felt great to play. I quickly turned the hud off and preferred playing that way cause I was just landing too many headshots with the crosshairs. Unfortunately there are zero visual cues about which items are interactive or important without the terrible RE7 UI. You also can't see when the aiming cursor gives you a critical shot. In addition, I lowered the FOV which drew the camera in slightly closer.

I didn't care for the objectives telling you where to go next. Seemed very anti survival horror. Also too much ammo.

All in all this felt like a return to RE that I didn't quite feel with RE7 and its texas chainsaw massacre esq generic setting and enemies.

kunonabi

Just wow! 3D camera and realistic graphics change everything, game is much more scary now when you can see zombies crawling at you in the shadows with strange noises all around you (5.1 sound in this game really bring immersion on the whole new level). Gameplay wise Remake feels like a totally new game compared to original RE2 thanks to 3D graphics alone, but literally everything here works differently as well. For example the knife. In classic RE2 the knife was just useless because of tank controls, but here it's my favorite weapon now :p. If you shoot zombie in the knee and it's starts crawling then you can easily kill it with the knife.

Game runs surprisingly well considering how it looks, but unfortunately you cant choose different AA method than blurry TAA, because game has forced edge sharpening (EE) by default to counterbalance TAA blur. So with TAA picture quality is clean but there's visible fine details reduction on the textures because of TAA, while without TAA everything looks wayy to sharp because of EE. So playing with TAA is a must, and in order to see more fine details I had to use DSR settings (downsampling).

Tank controls have nothing to do with the effectiveness of the knife. It has its uses and knife runs are pretty damn fun throughout the series.

Aggelos

PlayStation Access - Resident Evil 2 PS4 Gameplay Claire Redfield vs The Lickers Vs Mr. X

Daiyuuuum.......that's some crazy and tight gameplay right there.
The game is so intense that it has you in a constant state of panic-terror...

Last edited:

Hobbesian

Banned
Is it weird to comment on how intuitive this felt to play? I'm not one to argue against tank controls or anything, but I found it pretty amazing that I felt like I knew exactly how the game played from the moment it booted up despite not playing a Resident Evil game in like 10 years.

That could probably be seen as a criticism as well. This is more of an observation.

Hobbesian

Banned
Have we found any means to replay the demo outside creating a new account on PS4 (does that even really work? I'm getting a "Wireless Controller has been disconnected" error).

I only got to play for 15 minutes this morning and went to the home screen thinking it would pause the demo but nope. Pretty fucking annoying.

ruvikx

Banned
Is it weird to comment on how intuitive this felt to play? I'm not one to argue against tank controls or anything, but I found it pretty amazing that I felt like I knew exactly how the game played from the moment it booted up despite not playing a Resident Evil game in like 10 years.

The controls are perfect, literally. They're the natural evolution of the RE4 controls we never got. Smooth, responsive, tight, precise, whatever people want to call it, Leon in RE2 Remake needs to be Capcom's template for future instalments (I mean shit, I wish other third person games controlled as well as this). It's pretty crazy to see a remake of a 20 year old game get the best third person controls in the Resident Evil franchise & I'd be extremely reluctant to go back to RE7 first person after this.

I've been exploring around the demo (I'm on PC & I've stopped the timer) & it just feels better & better the more I play.

played the demo. awesome. i cant wait for this game. i wish it didnt have the time limit like im sure most people but thats okay and im just glad i got to play it

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Resident evil 2 is in my top 10 of one of the best games that i play in my life.

after watching and try the demo

Is awesome, like a blockbuster high buget Action-horror movie.

i really wish that give me the same of better experience of Resident evil 2 of 90´s

Last edited:
i remember when re2 came out i was a little kid and after playing it i had this awful nightmare of like the city evacuating but we stayed in our home for some reason and my mom got bit by a zombie and then she grabbed my face and said "it didnt even hurt". when i woke up i was like this is the best game i ever played

Raph64

The comparison between the original game and the remake is simply mind-blowing. You can really tell that Capcom did some effort on this one.

While I’m not a fan of horror games in general, I feel happy for those who’ve been waiting this for years and gets to see their patience being rewarded. In a big way.

This plus Kingdom Hearts 3 ?! What a time to be alive !

pawel86ck

Banned
Tank controls have nothing to do with the effectiveness of the knife. It has its uses and knife runs are pretty damn fun throughout the series.
With tank controls in RE2 classic it takes too long to turn your character and because you can run only when facing forward there is simply no time to escape if zombie is already in front of you and walks or crawl at you. Without tank controls in resident evil 1 remake on PC it was much easier to use the knife and some people even considered it game braking, and now in RE2 remake you can also walk backward and use the knife at the same time, so the knife now is extremely useful (and especially when you can press one button and equip it in an instant). In RE2 classic the knife is only useful for one finishing stab, but if zombie is still "alive" he cqn easily grab you first before you can stab him with the knife again, so using the knife was risky and not worth the effort. Only some RE2 classic hardcore fans who want to make their walkthrough much harder use the knife in this game, but go and see standard RE2 classic walkthroughs on youtube, literally no one use the knife and it's the first thing people place in the chest :p.

RE2 remake is game in full 3D, and because you can shoot zombies very precisely game would be way too easy without important gameplay changes. So they have increased the amount of bullets it take to kill a zombie, and improved the knife making it extremely important. Now you can shoot zombie in the knee, slow them down and then you can either run away or stab them with the knife very easily.

Last edited:

Aggelos

The safety box in Marvin Branaugh's private office has a hip pouch. The combination seems to be 9, 15, 7

The combination for the individual locker locks is ->
BIO (the one in the showers room)
RES (on the 3rd floor)

Guys how did you fix the grayish look to get deep blacks on 4K HDR sets?
On PC with my non-HDR 4K set, it was clear something is wrong with the way the game renders black levels. I think the engine always assumes limited RGB range which is nonsense on a PC which always outputs full RGB range to a monitor or when it detects the TV supports it.

ruvikx

Banned
The controls are fine, but people here are little hyperbole about controls.

I've been playing this demo for hours on pc. The controls are a mix of tank-like precision of RE4 & the more mobile sequels (which became a bit chaotic & "kick the zombie in the face" centric). RE2 seems to have hit that sweet spot which makes enemy encounters a lot of fun. In the end I was seeking out zombies to shoot, not avoid. The only thing I changed after the first few minutes was the aiming sensitivity: it was too high by default (I use an Xbox One controller).

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I've been playing this demo for hours on pc. The controls are a mix of tank-like precision of RE4 & the more mobile sequels (which became a bit chaotic & "kick the zombie in the face" centric). RE2 seems to have hit that sweet spot which makes enemy encounters a lot of fun. In the end I was seeking out zombies to shoot, not avoid. The only thing I changed after the first few minutes was the aiming sensitivity: it was too high by default (I use an Xbox One controller).
That was my take too, I was pleasantly surprised. The characters have weight to them and feel as in-world as they did in RE4 but at the same time your mobility options are increased, yet the game still somehow feels more like survival horror and less like zombie supplexing simulator, especially when zombies often take several headshots just to fall, never mind die. They did great work and with far less concessions than I expected. I thought this would be RE4 with a RE2 skin at best yet they've gone further than that despite people's expectations of 3rd person RE by now, to me it seems they stayed true enough to 2's intent.

Last edited:

II_JumPeR_I

Can you kill that tyrant guy? Because getting hunted all day would kill my enjoyment :/ (never played RE2, so i dont know if this is part of the original)

Alexios

Can you kill that tyrant guy? Because getting hunted all day would kill my enjoyment :/ (never played RE2, so i dont know if this is part of the original)
He's like Jack in RE7, only there for certain sections until the real boss fight, he was in the original and there's a similar enemy in RE3. He can probably be stalled with enough damage but it's a total waste of ammo. That's pretty much his purpose, to kill your enjoyment and cause you panic with having no time, having to leave resources behind and scrambling to solve whatever puzzle is ahead before he gets you.

Last edited:

Aggelos

That's the main concept of a survival horror game.
It's all about horror entertainment. You entertain yourself by entering a freak-out mode, a state of panic terror where you hafta run for your life if you wanna survive. You panic, you freak out, you're on the edge of your seat, you die a lot if you think you're gonna rock and roll and have yourself a blast against the monsters.

This isn't your typical action horror game, where you can take a lot of action and rock-and-roll against the monsters.
Probably you should consider trying action horror games to amp up your enjoyment.

Survival horror refers to a subgenre of action-adventure video games. The player character is vulnerable and under-armed, which puts emphasis on puzzle-solving and evasion, rather than violence. Games commonly challenge the player to manage their inventory and ration scarce resources such as ammunition. Another major theme throughout the genre is that of isolation. Typically, these games contain relatively few non-player characters and, as a result, frequently tell much of their story second-hand through the usage of journals, texts, or audio logs.

While many action games feature lone protagonists versus swarms of enemies in a suspenseful environment, survival horror games are distinct from otherwise horror-themed action games. They tend to de-emphasize combat in favor of challenges such as hiding or running from enemies and solving puzzles. Still, it is not unusual for survival horror games to draw upon elements from first-person shooters, action-adventure games, or even role-playing games. According to IGN, "Survival horror is different from typical game genres in that it is not defined strictly by specific mechanics, but subject matter, tone, pacing, and design philosophy."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survival_horror

Last edited:

Fake

I think your criticism is hyperbolic.
Saying 'fine' is hyperbole now? Wow. Nice try.

Anw I curious if they gonna use dynamic res in the final build. Yeah, looks like they implemented a critical shot for reduce the headshot instances. Nice touch.

kunonabi

That could probably be seen as a criticism as well. This is more of an observation.

I had the opposite reaction since there is no option to have run on square and 180 turns use a separate button now. Having to constantly operate the camera also blows. It's probably my biggest gripe with the game so far.

II_JumPeR_I

That's the main concept of a survival horror game.
It's all about horror entertainment. You entertain yourself by entering a freak-out mode, a state of panic terror where you hafta run for your life if you wanna survive. You panic, you freak out, you're on the edge of your seat, you die a lot if you think you're gonna rock and roll and have yourself a blast against the monsters.
Sry but such annoying mechanic doesnt entertain me. I dont remember getting chased in Dead Space games... and these were scary too

And please dont tell someone what a survival horror game is. Im not stupid buddy

Last edited:

Moses85

Resident evil 2 is in my top 10 of one of the best games that i play in my life.

after watching and try the demo

Is awesome, like a blockbuster high buget Action-horror movie.

i really wish that give me the same of better experience of Resident evil 2 of 90´s

With the Original Music, it definitely will! I missed the music in the demo!

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

If it's anything like original, you would only face Mr X\Tyrant during the B scenario. You can only unlock the B scenario after completing the game at least once.

Original worked like this:

Start the game as Leon ( Scenario A ) > Complete the game and then create a save file titled Claire B
Start the game as Claire (Scenario A) > Complete the game and then create a save file titled Leon B

The developer save said they have gone away from the scenarios in the remake of Resident Evil 2, but some people believe they're lying.

Alexios

If it's anything like original, you would only face Mr X\Tyrant during the B scenario.
There's no confirmation whatsoever of different scenarios in this game being like the original afaik, it could be just two, one for Leon and one for Claire, or even just one, with switching between the characters at different points through the game (same as you switch to Ada/Sheryn in the original, just for longer sessions). Like, you reach a given point as Leon and the game switches to an "hours earlier" or "meanwhile, elsewhere" and gives you control of Claire then. Expecting all that to be included might just be setting yourself up for major disappointment. I'm not saying it's impossible, just saying it's very likely it's not in as they may have just tried to make the highest quality campaign with all the cool moments and high points nicely paced and included within rather than after a replay or two.

Edit: ok so they've confirmed there are two campaigns and no more then. That settles it, lol.
we went with two campaigns that still show all the events of each character’s story rather than have it all split up.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
PC mods and hacks from the One-shot demo.

Somebody did a fixed-camera angle test

I love how dedicated & creative PC gamers are but I wouldn't play it like that. The shooting zombies part requires precision (even with auto aim, i.e. with regards to which part of the body you aim at), which is just not possible with a fixed camera & no real way of lining up a shot properly.

Aren117

Mr. X following all the time is kinda detrimental, tbh. At some point, I just got used to Jack following me on RE7 and it was more of an annoyance than something scary. He was cool on OG RE2 because you wouldn't know when to expect him (the first time playing, at least), plus he was a surprise of Scenario B.

But if he keeps following you now, eh... not so scary.

Ellis

I noticed that Claire has a laser pointer instead of the shitty generic cursor that Leon's pistol has. Is this a choice we can toggle between ?

hmmm, I had no idea that the differing scenarios for Claire and Leon may, or may not be, in the game. That was a huge part of the original release for me, I hope they didn't scrap that aspect. If anything, I was hoping they expanded on it even more, with more choices in A scenarios that affect stuff in B playthroughs.

Aggelos

The developer save said they have gone away from the scenarios in the remake of Resident Evil 2, but some people believe they're lying.

Anything is possible. But I have I hunch that the developers spoke the truth when they mentioned that there are only two campaigns this time around (and the concept of A/B scenarios was dropped altogether to create a unified presentation of the story)

From what we have seen so for (from trailers and the Biohazard RE:2 reports) I speculate that Leon follows the route of the so-called A-scenario to reach the police station, whereas Claire the route of the so-called B-scenario.

Here the guy explores a little bit more outside the Police Station (than what is permitted in the demo). We see the west lawn door 0:19 (that you use to enter the R.P.D. in the A-scenario) that doesn't seem to trigger any action when Leon approaches it. Afterwards we see an east fence door that triggers an action. (0:46)
That door is the one where Claire is standing during the cut-scene between Leon and Marvin as they observe her through the CCTV cameras.

Last edited:

Shifty

Just finished my run at the demo. Ended up finishing it in just over 10 minutes thanks to being torn between rushing it down and savouring it.

Seems like it's going to be amazing, I'm really impressed. And as has already been mentioned, that third person movement is really something. Very smooth.

That gore though. Technology has gone too far! :sick:

The lowest resolution on PC is hilarious looking:

RE2make 64 :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

kunonabi

With tank controls in RE2 classic it takes too long to turn your character and because you can run only when facing forward there is simply no time to escape if zombie is already in front of you and walks or crawl at you. Without tank controls in resident evil 1 remake on PC it was much easier to use the knife and some people even considered it game braking, and now in RE2 remake you can also walk backward and use the knife at the same time, so the knife now is extremely useful (and especially when you can press one button and equip it in an instant). In RE2 classic the knife is only useful for one finishing stab, but if zombie is still "alive" he cqn easily grab you first before you can stab him with the knife again, so using the knife was risky and not worth the effort. Only some RE2 classic hardcore fans who want to make their walkthrough much harder use the knife in this game, but go and see standard RE2 classic walkthroughs on youtube, literally no one use the knife and it's the first thing people place in the chest :p.

RE2 remake is game in full 3D, and because you can shoot zombies very precisely game would be way too easy without important gameplay changes. So they have increased the amount of bullets it take to kill a zombie, and improved the knife making it extremely important. Now you can shoot zombie in the knee, slow them down and then you can either run away or stab them with the knife very easily.
If your only getting one knife attack in at a time that's because your spacing is off or you're just super slow. People drop the knife because it takes up an item slot and in a proper run you shouldn't really be killing anything anyway. I mean by your same metric the handgun is useless too since you're also better off dropping it in the item box early on. I mean once proper speed runs start for the remake there is a good chance you wont need the knife either.

The knife is pretty useful in the first REmake with the base controls since it gives a dodge step and it actually does good damage. In RE2 you can aim for critical hits with it against certain bosses much more easily. RE3 it gives you easier dodges as well. Tank controls and the perspective have nothing to do with how effective the knife is. It's about the specific purpose they have for it in each game's framework. Hell, in Silent Hill you can style on enemies for days with it.

Game does look way better with those angles aside from Leon's shitty 3rd person/FPS animations.

Shifty

Unff, that's great.

I've been secretly hoping that Capcom will add fixed-camera to the full game as a bonus mode, but it seems unlikely despite clearly being achievable.

RE3 it gives you easier dodges as well.
Well shit, I'm gonna have to go back and practice that sometime. I always loved the idea of the dodge system but sucked way too much to use it effectively.

In the original he only appeared in scenario B's, he appeared in select rooms and would permanently stay in that room until you killed him, but wouldn't chase you into others (although they did do something clever with one encounter to give that illusion). However he was fairly easy to kill when you encountered him and would give you big ammo drops for doing so. He was kind of a thing to make scenario B's more different and unexpected for replay value.

In Resident Evil 3 they expanded on that idea with Nemesis, who would actually chase you from area to area when you reached a trigger point for him, but they made him extremely hard to kill, but if you did he would despawn in those areas he would chase you and would give you weapon parts for doing so, and you got a special weapon for killing him all times on first playthrough only, and unlimited bullets for a weapon on repeated playthroughs.

From how it sounds in this and from watching videos, when Mr. X is triggered he's fully invincible during this time unlike the original Mr. X and Nemesis, so no kill rewards, and chases you until you reach a selected escape point, and isn't a second playthrough thing for replay spoops like the original. Kind of wack.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
In terms of major releases, would it be fair to say that CAPCOM is 3 for 3 in recent years?

RE7, Monster Hunter World, and now RE2:Remake seem to be well-received by fans.

Top Bottom