• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake - December '18 Gameplay Videos and Previews

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
There's no confirmation whatsoever of different scenarios in this game being like the original afaik, it could be just two, one for Leon and one for Claire, or even just one, with switching between the characters at different points through the game (same as you switch to Ada/Sheryn in the original, just for longer sessions). Like, you reach a given point as Leon and the game switches to an "hours earlier" or "meanwhile, elsewhere" and gives you control of Claire then. Expecting all that to be included might just be setting yourself up for major disappointment. I'm not saying it's impossible, just saying it's very likely it's not in as they may have just tried to make the highest quality campaign with all the cool moments and high points nicely paced and included within rather than after a replay or two.

Edit: ok so they've confirmed there are two campaigns and no more then. That settles it, lol.

Anything is possible. But I have I hunch that the developers spoke the truth when they mentioned that there are only two campaigns this time around (and the concept of A/B scenarios was dropped altogether to create a unified presentation of the story)

From what we have seen so for (from trailers and the Biohazard RE:2 reports) I speculate that Leon follows the route of the so-called A-scenario to reach the police station, whereas Claire the route of the so-called B-scenario.

Looking at all of the trailers again, I think he will appear during certain points during the campaign for both Leon and Clair, but a bit frequently during Claire's. I was confused because I didn't recall seeing any footage of Leon fighting Mr X. I thought there was going to be a separate mode because it wouldn't be fair for Claire to fight Burkin while having Mr X chase you throughout the game.

Aggelos

How are the chances that the Voice at the Titel screen which appeared in the older games will return?

the director answered that question at Gamescon when he was interviewed by Dengeki.
You have to choose switch to the old soundtrack.

Q: Can you share with us information regarding the DLC support?

Kanda : The Deluxe Edition comes together with extra costumes and a soundtrack. That soundtrack is there to offer a more nostalgic feeling when the player goes through the game.

Kadoi: Those tracks in the soundtrack are sourced from the music back at the day, and you are able to take your pick. In the original game music tracks would switch upon entering rooms, while this time around the whole sound design is done so that we have the players on the edge of their seat. On the other hand, we went to town on doing the sound design like the past games where music would switch on entering the room.
Although a trifle, when you choose to switch to the old music tracks the announcer in the title screen calls out “Biohazard 2” in the old style. We thought it wouldn’t be befitting to have a title announcement for the remake, we do hope , instead, that this will put a smile on the face of those who want to enjoy the old sound design.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/clai...l-2-info-from-gamescom.1464880/post-253409125

Last edited:

kunonabi

Unff, that's great.

I've been secretly hoping that Capcom will add fixed-camera to the full game as a bonus mode, but it seems unlikely despite clearly being achievable.

Well shit, I'm gonna have to go back and practice that sometime. I always loved the idea of the dodge system but sucked way too much to use it effectively.
Yeah, dodging with the knife with your back to the enemy is the most optimal way to do it. Check out Nikolai mercenary runs and you should see plenty of it.

Aren117

In terms of major releases, would it be fair to say that CAPCOM is 3 for 3 in recent years?

RE7, Monster Hunter World, and now RE2:Remake seem to be well-received by fans.

MvC Infinite, tho.

I can picture the possibility of DMC5 getting less enthusiastic reception too, but everything we saw looks nice at least. Can't wait to play the demo next month.

On pc you guys using mouse and keyboard for precise aiming or controller for analog movement and immersion

I'm using Dualshock 4, (I hope we get a mod for button glyphs because it shows Xbox for me) so I'm looking forward to gyro aiming.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
I don't think the controls are the problem, its more like this game doesn't feel like RE2 at all. It feels like a completely different game. RE1 remake did feel more like a RE game. Maybe its the combat, or flashlight. Its just, its not as good as I thought it would be.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
MvC Infinite, tho.

I can picture the possibility of DMC5 getting less enthusiastic reception too, but everything we saw looks nice at least. Can't wait to play the demo next month.

I'm using Dualshock 4, (I hope we get a mod for button glyphs because it shows Xbox for me) so I'm looking forward to gyro aiming.
marvel infinite died in like a year, was a failure. Now compare that to MVC2 and MVC3, which lasted at evo and tournaments for years. Even Mr Wizard said him self, they couldn't get enough people to play it at Evo. Its pretty bad also when capcom pulled it from their own tournaments; just image a company has to pull their own game from tournaments cause no one was playing it. And people are still playing SFV

Last edited:

Shifty

In terms of major releases, would it be fair to say that CAPCOM is 3 for 3 in recent years?

RE7, Monster Hunter World, and now RE2:Remake seem to be well-received by fans.
I'd say so. The Capgods might be back, tentatively speaking.

Gonna need DMCV to be amazing and a God Hand remake before I can know for sure tho :messenger_tongue:

On pc you guys using mouse and keyboard for precise aiming or controller for analog movement and immersion
Controller for sure. It's kind of a tradition for me with RE games at this point.

The reticle bloom while moving does give a massive precision advantage to the mouse though. Gonna have to dial in the sensitivity real good.

Note to self: never go to Montreal Canada.

Politest zombies you ever met though. UUUUUURRRRHHHHHH eh.

Last edited:
I don't think the controls are the problem, its more like this game doesn't feel like RE2 at all. It feels like a completely different game. RE1 remake did feel more like a RE game. Maybe its the combat, or flashlight. Its just, its not as good as I thought it would be.
Probably because in several ways it's just as much a 3rd person sequel to RE7 as it is a RE2 remake.

hecatomb

Banned
Probably because in several ways it's just as much a 3rd person sequel to RE7 as it is a RE2 remake.
ya it seems ok, its most likely not going to be one of my fav RE games, cause it just doesn't feel like one. Like image RE3 remake being turned into a RPG, I'm sure some people might like, but I won't.

Kazz1896

Neo Member

I'm loving the way this game feels on PC! I hated the way the original felt! Can't wait to play the full game!

juliotendo

I played the demo last night on PlayStation.

Absolutely fantastic, great atmosphere and impressive gameplay. Should be a top quality game at release.

This is the kind of quality and experience companies should be producing as opposed to the constant drivel of micro transaction riddled nonsense and half polished products with day 1 patches larger than the install size.

And the funny part about it all is that this is a remake.

Paracelsus

At 22:00, it's confirmed they nerfed quick shooting, because you do have to let the crosshair close in hope of getting a critical. In other words: in close combat we're screwed, we have to run and find a spot with enough clearance to pull criticals or we'll eat through bullets like candy.

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
At 22:00, it's confirmed they nerfed quick shooting, because you do have to let the crosshair close in hope of getting a critical. In other words: in close combat we're screwed, we have to run and find a spot with enough clearance to pull criticals or we'll eat through bullets like candy.
Early on, at least. It looks like Claire has a laser sight that is making it focused for all shots. Maybe try your best to run around zombies at first, then when you get gun upgrades to make ammo more effective, feel more free to kill them. Starting pistol definitely felt almost pointless in the demo.

Last edited:

Hobbesian

Banned
Capcom has been resurrected.

Im the only who think RE Engine is now better than Fox Engine?

Hopefully, you are alone, and you should be.

Outside of Graphics, the RE Engine isn't that impressive. There's like, no interactivity in the environment. Fox Engine was not only gorgeous and incredibly scalable but it had some of the most dynamic processes of any engine I've ever seen.

What a fucking loss that was.

kunonabi

Capcom has been resurrected.

Im the only who think RE Engine is now better than Fox Engine?

I'm not really a fan of the RE engine to be honest. The character models in RE7 looked awful to me and i think it's a pretty poor fit for stuff like DMC. RE2 mostly looks great but the facial animation isnt impressing me. Marvin looks pretty awful in the demo when he speaks.

Aggelos

Look at how much was true from that old 2017 leak
86ajarbj8vb01.jpg

So when Takeuchi Jun mentioned that they're having another game in development that will make people jump from surprise, I believe that it may as well be RE3 Remake he's referring to.
https://twitter.com/dev1_official

In the latest interview with famitsu, the head of the Capcom Consumer Games Development Division 1 (where DMC5 and RE2Remake are being developed), Jun Takeuchi let the following interesting scoop slide.
https://www.famitsu.com/news/201812/05168410.html

Q: May I ask as to the plans of Development Division 1 from now on?

Takeuchi : Our first priority is to get RE2Remake and DMC5 out there in the market to everyone. From there onwards, how we will proceed will be defined by the feedback that we receive from our customers and userbase. It is going to be for us a careful listening of comments and remarks such as "It would be great if you did that", "We would really love to see this" etc. We are presently honing our skills and pushing the envelope in terms of what we can actualize and substantiate as developers, since I think that when we are to talk about the next RE game and anything else it should mark the era of a complete overhaul. Then again, currently we have been working on another game that will take people aback and make them jump off their seats by surprise thinking "What? They're making that one?"

https://capcom.fandom.com/wiki/Jun_Takeuchi
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jun_Takeuchi
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/company/officer02.html

From now on I will be adding spoiler tags since some people might not wanna know this stuff before they get their hands on the actual game.

Claire and Marvin dialogue. Apparently they share a meet-up scene together. The one it was shown in the TGS trailer.

This is what Claire and Marvin see on the computer monitor, They see Leon's arrival to the courtyard of the Police Station.

peQywId.jpg

Which are the clothes that the following image shows Leon wearing while he's at the gas station where he meets the officer fending himself off of the zombie

rhcqhjkuh6a21.jpg

You guys definitely remember the two E3 trailers that were showing Leon visiting the gas station for a pit stop, only to find an officer fighting off a zombie

Claire swears a lot in RE2Remake.....

Resident Evil 2 "1-Shot Demo" unintentional Eventtrigger

Somebody hacked the demo for music tracks. He/she uploaded a ton of them his/her youtube channel.

The poster in the tiny room where you find zombie Brad (In the Police Station courtyard B1 floor)

jkwkxme9z1a21.png

RE2 Remake items

tumblr_pl7syjLRW41se6ntfo1_1280.jpg

Info found in the exe file. It mentions A/B scenarios and other juicy nuggets.

mkIqqeV.png

For the record, as far as I know, Fixed Camera is in as an unlockable (at the very least, they were 100% being worked on around the game's E3 reveal, but I wasn't sure if they'd gone through to the final game and still not certain, but there seems to be hints to it here), A/B Scenarios are a relic from development that were cut, and Rogue is a Rogue-Like Mode which randomizes enemy and item placement with different playable characters. First I've heard of Ada the Spy and I'm actually surprised Rogue might be something I guessed correctly from something else I heard.

Thinking on it more, Rogue might be what turned into Hardcore in the final game. Don't take my mention of Rogue to be 100% here as it's me piecing together a few things from this and what I heard. A chance it could just have ended up as Hardcore Mode, or a chance it's its own separate thing, to be seen.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Fox engine is very smooth, but at what cost? The worlds are open and empty, there’s no interaction, it’s all a bit... stale. But if only really got a chance to shine with MGS5/GZ, so, I’m not surprised it didn’t advance. Don’t forget the appalling resolution they had to drop it down to just to get it running on Xbox.

There’s no doubt the fox engine is a good one, but it’s certainly not the second coming like people claim.

Last edited:

Aggelos

Different goals. Wide open spaces vs corridor crawling

Surely Biohazard 7 and Bio2 Remake are taking place in tight spaces with corridor crawling.
But on the other hand, DMC5 (that runs on RE Engine) has open spaces to boot. It would be hard for DMC5 to become an open world game like MGS5, but you know, the environments are still more spread-out, strung-out and scattered
than Biohazard 7 and Bio2Remake

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil_May_Cry_5

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
FOX is last generation and can do an open world as well as detailed indoor spaces and have you move seamlessly between them without issue, the RE engine so far seems far more limited in terms of open spaces (yeah so there are city environments in RE2 but that's far from an open world, you can't go anywhere, everything is closed off except where you need to go and so on) but that could be the given game's design, we've only had RE so far after all and nobody wants an open world RE game. Still it's a current generation engine so obviously it has to look better than a last generation engine. Even if that one was spruced up for the current systems it was still via a port of a last generation game (and a lame spin off with the same assets), they weren't going to make all the assets from scratch or anything. FOX is great regardless of MGSV's design failings (I don't see any more interactivity in RE2 btw, while RE2 clearly doesn't have to have any additional AI interactions with different states and behaviors that you see in MGS, just dumb zombies and such). I fail to see the comparison but to me RE engine looks a little muddier than I'd expect it to. Maxed out on a GTX 1080 there are still flaws like muddy textures and assets (not the engine's fault I guess, just how they were made), the reflections bork out depending on what's happening, the AA is not great at all and still has shader aliasing and shimmering all over despite how blurry everything looks with it on, the self shadowing on character faces is quite rough, the hair rendering is far from great and so on. It's a rough looking game in many ways and doesn't at all look like a continuation of say, something like RE5 back in the day with how sharp, polished and shiny that looked at the time for its era. I'm not complaining, overall RE2 looks great, it's a beautiful game, but it's not jaw dropping, just par for the course for a really high budget 2019 game. DMCV looks like it might be doing more to showcase the engine's supposed prowess but we'll see how it is in practice with the levels and action and all.

Last edited:

Aggelos

I'm not complaining, overall RE2 looks great, it's a beautiful game, but it's not jaw dropping, just par for the course for a really high budget 2019 game. DMCV looks like it might be doing more to showcase the engine's supposed prowess but we'll see how it is in practice with the levels and action and all.

Same here, I believe that DMC5 is going to put the RE Engine to a stretch and show its prowess (since people enjoy the comparisons with the Fox Engine)
So rendezvous in March when DMC5 is out.

Last edited:

Aggelos

[Official] Resident Evil 2 Developer stream with Capcom UK (Part 1), with game director Kadoi and producer Hirabayashi

[Official] Resident Evil 2 Developer stream with Capcom UK (Part 2)

Well posting the SFX files from Leon and Claire I don't that it's going to be a lot spoilerific

According to datamining from the demo

Areas :
-Gas Station
-Op City
-Police Station
-Water Plant
-City
-Orphanage Asylum
-Waste Water
-Laboratory

Weapons:
H&K USP
H&K VP70
Browning HP
"HP (Ada)" (her Makarov or whatever it is)
S&W M60 LadySmith
Colt S.A.A.
Remington M1100-P
MAC11
MP5
Desert Eagle .50AE
S&W 329
M79
Sparkshot
Flamethrower
Gatling gun
Rocket launcher
Infinite rocket launcher
"Sexy gun" with some sort of ammo or power gauge

Bosses:
G1
G2
G3
G4
G5
Tyrant
N-Tyrant

Characters:
Leon S. Kennedy
Claire Redfield
Ada Wong
Sherry Birkin
Hunk
Tofu
Robert Kendo
Brian Irons
Ben Bertolucci
Annette Birkin
Chris Redfield
Ethan Winters
U.S.S
Marvin Branagh
William Birkin
Dead Man
John
Katherine Warren
Mr.X
Gas Station Sheriff
Vance Zombie
Emma Kendo
Elliot Edward
Store Manager
Sewage Corpse
Burning Corpse
Dead Researcher
Ending Driver

Last edited:

azz0r

Banned
Surely Biohazard 7 and Bio2 Remake are taking place in tight spaces with corridor crawling.
But on the other hand, DMC5 (that runs on RE Engine) has open spaces to boot. It would be hard for DMC5 to become an open world game like MGS5, but you know, the environments are still more spread-out, strung-out and scattered
than Biohazard 7 and Bio2Remake

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil_May_Cry_5
Wasn't aware DMC5 was REE - interesting

DonF

What a boring demo. The game looks great, but it took me 18 minutes to beat, and the end is so abrupt. I went back but I just had 12 minutes to roam and thats it.

I still wanna get the game, but this demo is just lackluster, considering the RE7 demo.

Aggelos

after listening to the Claire samples I think I'll stick with Japanese voices.

Don't you think that she might be swearing a lot in the Z-Version of Biohazard RE:2 ?
I expect her to use the same foul language in Japanese.
In the underground parking lot cut-scene with Brian Irons she said "覚えてろ,クズ野郎!”
It's certainly foul language.

In the D-rated regular version, maybe her harsh language might be toned down though

Last edited:

kunonabi

Don't you think that she might be swearing a lot in the Z-Version of Biohazard RE:2 ?
I expect her to use the same foul language in Japanese.
In the underground parking lot cut-scene with Brian Irons she said "覚えてろ,クズ野郎!”
It's certainly foul language.

In the D-rated regular version, maybe her harsh language might be toned down though

She probably will it's the delivery that's a turn off.

I'm a sucker sandwich so I bought the deluxe.

It seems strange that there's no "season pass", as there's no way they will skip on extra content on this game for a price, surely. Or maybe they're saving it to help sell more of the newer version on newer consoles. If only the leaker could provide some information.

i never cared that much about re3 when it came out as i thought re2 was a much better game. so if they do a remake for it i wont be as excited as some other games that would be cool if they remade. but at the same time if it comes out as good as re2 seems to be going then i guess it can come out fantastic

Aggelos

Rumour has it that this Rogue mode might be an Enemy Randomizer mode. The rumour claims the JP developers saw how popular the Enemy Randomizer PC mod became with RE1 Remake, thus they implemented it here.
In the latest Capcom UK with JP Devs stream, director Kadoi mentioned that the hardest mode is called "Hardcore" where there's no auto save and you only rely on ink-ribbon saves.
So the Rogue mode can't be the hardest difficult setting of the game.
It must be an entirely different animal.

But then, again others claim that the datamining from the exe file might just include development relics, since this demo doesn't seem to be based on the final build of the game. It would be anyone's guess what kind of build the demo is based off of..... Could be a build from Spring 2018, or around the E3 2018 era.....

The game's release is tens days ahead, meaning that it must have probably gone already gold.

Last edited:

Moses85

Rumour has it that this Rogue mode might be an Enemy Randomizer mode. The rumour claims the JP developers saw how popular the Enemy Randomizer PC mod became with RE1 Remake, thus they implemented it here.
In the latest Capcom UK with JP Devs stream, director Kadoi mentioned that the hardest mode is called "Hardcore" where there's no auto save and you only rely on ink-ribbon saves.
So the Rogue mode can't be the hardest difficult setting of the game.
It must be an entirely different animal.

But then, again others claim that the datamining from the exe file might just include development relics, since this demo doesn't seem to be based on the final build of the game. It would be anyone's guess what kind of build the demo is based off of..... Could be a build from Spring 2018, or around the E3 2018 era.....

The game's release is tens days ahead, meaning that it must have probably gone already gold.

Imo the Game is Gold since weeks. Take KH3 for instance.

Friend of mine works at Saturn Germany. He told me they received the CEs already yesterday. The CE was sold only online by Metro Group (Media Markt and Saturn)

Top Bottom