• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake : Is it cancel?

What do you think is going to happen with Resident Evil 2's Remake?

Results are only viewable after voting.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I wonder if back in 1997, people thought the same for Resident Evil 2.

Part of the series resilience in the videogame zeitgeist is that capcom has been willing to take its time (canning nearly finished iterations in favor of extremen polish), and try out radical new directions for the series.

ryan13ts

Not sure why they would silently kill it though.

I made a thread a while back about this and I'm starting to have my doubts too. Sure, it was just starting development when they announced it but 2 years is a long time to not have any updates at all, not even a screenshot to show along the way.

I'm of the opinion that if we don't see it by next E3, the game is dead. There's no way that a remake would have nothing to show by almost 3 years time.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
It's not been silently killed, they're only being silent because they're working hard on it and want to show it off in the best possible way. It got behind schedule due to two things (there was an internal conflict about direction and they had the opening nearly done but then scrapped it and redid it again) which put them behind schedule.

It's not been cancelled and it's now at the point it's too far along for them to cancel it feasibly (it's a little over half-way done right now).

Jawmuncher

It's not been silently killed, they're only being silent because they're working hard on it and want to show it off in the best possible way. It got behind schedule due to two things (there was an internal conflict about direction and they had the opening nearly done but then scrapped it and redid it again) which put them a bit behind schedule.

It's not been cancelled and it's now at the point it's too far along for them to cancel it feasibly (it's a little over half-way done right now).

You just opened the flood gates

It's not been silently killed, they're only being silent because they're working hard on it and want to show it off in the best possible way. It got behind schedule due to two things (there was an internal conflict about direction and they had the opening nearly done but then scrapped it and redid it again) which put them behind schedule.

Someone make the thread

neonille

Changin the camera angle is a terrible idea.

If you do that, it's a completely different game...and then there is no point in remaking it...

Unai

Is still a re release with new elements, anyways I stated my position about remake 2 long enough now.

I want a new classic RE I'm also curious that they would make a fantastic game using a tps formula and that doesn't mean action re, more than focus on the character.

Stop whining and read what I said.

I mean maybe there's a reason behind that. You guys are saying that I don't want a new classic RE when I already said many times that I want to I would like a reimagination of the game to see what they could pull off. That's it.

No, it's not. I must be thinking of something else.

Aggelos

If this lead-scoop of yours is true, then here we go again with the scrapped biohazard 2 syndrome.
It happened back in 1996-97, and then it happened again in our present day.... What the heck bro?
As if biohazard 2 was a game to be haunted eternally by the ghosts and demons of "scrap the whole project and start it over again...."

BadWolf

Fight over classic vs. action?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Is Dusk a known source on GAF? (Serious question, I wasn't aware of him.)

I'll explain, I'm just a horror enthusiast who used to write for a horror site, and I mainly just do passionate postings. My passionate postings sometimes get me noticed, I involve myself in some things and work with others, and I love people and horror so I socialize, so I know a few people here and there. My intention isn't to leak stuff though, but I do know a number of things about a number of projects. I'm not under any NDA, but I don't want to ruin companies internal marketing whatevers or get anyone in trouble/lose their jobs by me saying too much. I do like to sprinkle in little tidbits in long times of silence and the main thing I like posting is unused ideas, beta things, stuff like that; I love the horror game scene and like to contribute in sharing the history if that makes sense, but that's a crumbly road since I don't want to get anyone in trouble and sometimes I need to remember things I think are minor to mention may be a bigger deal to the people starved for news. XD; REmake 2 is in a position if even a minor thing leaked I think Capcom may do a witch hunt, so I don't want to say too much, and probably right then shouldn't of said anything.

Sesha

People need to get the memo that Capcom doesn't like revealing games early anymore, and RE2make wasn't even in development when it was announced.

Like:

SFV - 14 months
DR4 - 6 months
RE7 - 7 months
MvC - 9 months
MHW - 7-9 months

...and that goes for everything else.

"Why does it seem like games sometimes come out before they're done, GAF?"

"I don't know! It is certainly not because of unrealistic perceptions of how long games take to develop."

Sheroking

People need to get the memo that Capcom doesn't like revealing games early anymore, and RE2make wasn't even in development when it was announced.

Like:

SFV - 14 months
DR4 - 6 months
RE7 - 7 months
MvC - 9 months
MHW - 7-9 months

…and that goes for everything else.

Well that's sort of the problem here.

They first talked about the game before it was ever greenlit, then announced they were going to develop it before it started.

So of course it's taking forever to come. We normally here about this stuff when it's half-way done.

finley83

Banned
Regards to the gameplay style (3rd person fixed camera, over the shoulder, 1st person) - as long as the game feels like RE2 then I don't care. RE2 classic is good enough that I don't want a like for like replacement, even though that would be pretty cool. Just as long as Capcom release the original RE2 in a playable form for modern systems they can do whatever they like with the new one.

You know what to expect by now in a RE thread :p Only thing missing is the usual gifs from 6

im gonna at least post gifs from the correct games

image2.gif

tumblr_lx0ixajTsA1qcq2vho1_500.gif

tumblr_mdamn4rj8k1rnnop6o1_250.gif

tumblr_nv87zhLata1u8intho1_500.gif

original.gif

and just for giggles (fan project)
tumblr_nhnjek2bjU1s6ub5do3_250.gif

tumblr_nhnjek2bjU1s6ub5do2_250.gif

I got into the Resident Evil series with 4 & played the earlier games much much later. Loved them to pieces. I want those classic angles & tank controls pls. Make the controls optional for people who can't stand them, though.

Knowing how they expanded the outdoor area with the cabin & everything gets be super hyped with what they could add to a classic RE2 remake. I'd be gutted if capcom made it a TPS. 2 is my favorite in the series, though. I could see people who don't rate it so highly feeling differently.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Guys, you're not getting tank controls.

This is almost certainly going to be a $60 retail game. And it's not going to be tank controls. Should really just brace for that now.

Negaduck

It's probably going to be similar to Remake. New controls for those who hate tank and also tank controls for those who want the original experience.

Also games take a long time to make. It's okay we haven't heard anything yet.

BadWolf

This is almost certainly going to be a $60 retail game. And it's not going to be tank controls. Should really just brace for that now.

It will be an option for sure, even if it's not activated by default.

Jawmuncher

Tank controls like RE/RE5 with a third person camera I could see
Tank control with fixed camera is where things get iffy depending on the budget

kc44135

Megaton. I had wondered earlier in this thread of the reason they hadn't revealed it yet is because they were unsure of what direction they were going with REmake 2. That's both interesting, and perhaps very worrisome. There's really only one style of REmake I'm interested in...

ZeoVGM

Banned
Tank controls like RE/RE5 with a third person camera I could see
Tank control with fixed camera is where things get iffy depending on the budget

I should clarify. I meant to specifically say tank controls with fixed camera has no chance of happening. RE4/5-style controls would be likely.

With the amount of time this has been in development and the fact that they're apparently 50% through? Yeah, this is a full fledged, big budget remake I believe.

Sesha

#nofixedcameranobuy

Though maybe RE2 Remake with BTS camera wouldn't be that bad overall. Dead Rising 4 didn't have a timer or actual psychos and that turned out f... oh.

Well, at least there's Marvel Infinite. It was 2v2 and had no X-Men, and that turned out fine in the e... oh.

Well, shit.

image2.gif

original.gif

Beautiful.

kc44135

image2.gif

original.gif

and just for giggles (fan project)
tumblr_nhnjek2bjU1s6ub5do3_250.gif

tumblr_nhnjek2bjU1s6ub5do2_250.gif
So good!
#nofixedcameranobuy

Though surely RE2 Remake with BTS camera can't be that bad overall. Marvel Infinite was 2v2 and had no X-Men, and that turned out fine in the e... oh.

Beautiful.

Yeah, agreed. Fixed camera angles are the only way to go. However, seeing how long it's taking to be revealed, and hearing it was delayed due to the devs being undecided on what direction to take the game has me more concerned, and more doubtful than ever that this will be the REmake I want. :(

ZeoVGM

Banned
nomg wrong

sorry i just wanted to post that for old time sake <3

Haha, wow. Going back a bit.

Do you think there's a chance that they go pre-rendered with tank controls here? That would be a bold move. But with the time its been in development at this point, I feel like this is getting the big AAA treatment.

Nice. Thanks for the info Dusk! :)

Can you say anything about why it was scrapped?

Do you think there's a chance that they go pre-rendered with tank controls here? That would be a bold move. But with the time its been in development at this point, I feel like this is getting the big AAA treatment.

Well if they do (which they should) they won't have to entirely reinvent the scenario to work with new gameplay mechanics and new camera view.

The cramped corridors of RE2 do not exactly gel with a wide third-person camera a-la action RE, which is made that way so you can defend yourself from baddies coming at you all 360 degrees. Wheras in RE2 where the enemies are usually coming from two directions only - ahead and behind, with little room to maneuver. There'd be very little point in tilting the camera around unless you want a good look at the walls. IMO RE7 did this very well with it's FP view, but that is still a much tighter and focused view than a TPS camera

(I think they should include an FP/VR view just as a bonus, but i don't think they should design the game around it)

kc44135

Well if they do (which they should) they won't have to entirely reinvent the scenario to work with new gameplay mechanics and new camera view.

The cramped corridors of RE2 do not exactly gel with a wide third-person camera a-la action RE, which is made that way so you can defend yourself from baddies coming at you all 360 degrees. Wheras in RE2 where the enemies are usually coming from two directions only - ahead and behind, with little room to maneuver. There'd be very little point in tilting the camera around unless you want a good look at the walls. IMO RE7 did this very well with it's FP view, but that is still a much tighter and focused view than a TPS camera

(I think they should include an FP/VR view just as a bonus, but i don't think they should design the game around it)
I actually think this is a great idea. Maybe don't allow for combat and whatnot, but let me push a button and take a look around in more detail when I want to. That would be an awesome addition that wouldn't really affect anything. Similarly, including Tank controls and Alt controls would be good for those that can't deal with the former. Even (slowly) moving and shooting, or Tank-strafing (SH2/3 style) would be fine by me, and of course, quick-turn (which RE2 has never actually had, believe it or not). There are lots of small, smart additions/improvements they could make that wouldn't destroy the core experience of RE2. Getting the perspective right is by far the most important thing, IMO.

I don't think they'll go pre-rendered for the environments but I'm hoping for fixed angles & I don't see why the classic controls wouldn't at least be an option. I'm hoping they have a control type C (from the GC ver of REmake) option as well.

This needs to be a classic RE with CGI pre-rendered static backgrounds and characters with half-million polygons and shit like that.

I won't accept anything else.

Don't care about RE Action or RE Classic discussion, REmake 2 needs to be REmake level of quality.

smokey5604

Neo Member
I just finished playing REmake again last night, and I am getting more and more hype for a RE2 remake of this quality. I hope they stay true to the original RE2 instead of trying to shoehorn in first person perspective. I wouldn't be too happy about it, but I'd even take 3rd person for this one atleast.

I loved RE7, but I don't want them to assume that it is ok to take one of the most beloved entries into the series and drastically change it like that. People will likely be onboard for 3rd person due to RE4, but I do hope if they add 3rd person they also allow original fixed perspective (that doesnt suck like the DLC for RE5).

Edit: Also please no co-op. Please.

Top Bottom